• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Monsterqken

Dec 26, 2019
I don't, only thing that catches my eye is if someone is reading a book.

Edit: Just realized I'm not married, but after 10 years it should be the same, right? I have her in my will at the top spot.

Kreizler

Oct 28, 2017
PVD
I didn't. But my wife sure did, with a friend who we knew for 8 years, who was also married. They apparently both had crushes on each other. And now I'm getting a divorce because my wife discovered she loved him too, and they just had to be together no matter fucking what.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017
No, no crushes.

That's not to say that there aren't some women in the office who make me internally say "DAAAAMMMMN" when they walk in. I'm married, but I'm still human. That's not a crush though, that's just plain old physical attraction, which is normal, and I would never act on it.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
No, and I'd hoped my wife doesn't either to be honest.

We both definitely find other people attractive but I'd classify a crush as more than just a physical attraction and that's when it becomes dangerous.

Kreizler

Oct 28, 2017
PVD
This fucking sucks, like alot.
Yup. Learned about it 12/1/19, went to work the next day, Monday, and went to the hospital the next morning due to a panic attack and other things and was in for 2 days. Divorce wasn't discussed right away, she wanted to be in an open relationship with both of us, which even right then I knew I didn't want. I had to move out and get a new place because she would have moved out from where we were staying and it would have been a lot harder for me to pay that by myself.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
I have a completely one sided crush on my wife's best friend. Both my wife and her friend are aware of it and joke about it constantly.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I might find people attractive, but having crushes, no.

If anything, being married made my standards really high for judging other people's personalities and characters, and by comparison, I see how my partner is such a great person and a perfect match for me.

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. Learned about it 12/1/19, went to work the next day, Monday, and went to the hospital the next morning due to a panic attack and other things and was in for 2 days. Divorce wasn't discussed right away, she wanted to be in an open relationship with both of us, which even right then I knew I didn't want. I had to move out and get a new place because she would have moved out from where we were staying and it would have been a lot harder for me to pay that by myself.

I'm sorry dude. Nothing preps you for that unless you guys talked about being in open relationships before?

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I feel the same. The more you fight this natural habit, the more it's actually an issue for yourself and the more you make it to an issue for the relationship as a whole.
Accept it, maybe even fantasize about it even - because why not, but if possible don't act on it if you didn't decide anything in that way with your SO at first. You either communicate this in advance or you shouldn't have gone that far anyway with the relationship. General rule of thumb is "when in doubt, rub it out". As soon as you masturbated, the feeling is gone, right? *leaning far out of the window*
The short term fancy will go away too with time. Nothing special really. Just ask yourself what you would do the instant you both finished having sex. Because mostly that's when it's getting awkward anyway and the other isn't your SO.

We have a german word, "schmunzeln", which isn't quite the same as smiling, because it has some sort of mmm, second thoughts behind it, mostly fun or pervert related (hehe), which I always do when those things happen. Maybe smirking? I make my fun of it, but then I go my way. Funny hehe.

It's chuckle. Not exclusive to Germans. Also we are talking about crushes and not horniness and attraction, in that case your tip is great and true. Rub one out. Otherwise some of you in here have problems to be sure. Having a crush on someone when you are exclusive with someone or even married is not normal. I hope you are honest to your partners and work on the relationship or end it, because otherwise what is the point?

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'll do you one better and say you can even love more than one person at a time. A marriage that works is not one without temptations or feelings for other people, it's one where you choose to be with one person over all the others.

This right here. It's perfectly normal to have crushes, and even infatuation for others. Not everyone is the same, and neither is every relationship. The most important thing I think, is that you and your partner(s) can be open, and communicate with honesty.

Nov 17, 2017
A lot of people acting like if they allowed themselves to have crushes in their marriages, they'd run away with the person and elope in another country. There's a scale of crushes I don't think a lot of people here are considering. I've never been married but I've had little crushes before while in a relationship. Like a coworker I had. We had a strictly professional relationship, I wasn't thinking about her outside of work but I thought she was cute and had an attractive personality.

Doesn't mean I was ready to jump ship to this woman. I barely knew her outside of a work context but it was a crush. it's not a big deal.

No, I don't get crushes. I'm not a teenager.
What do you think a crush is? Writing their name inside a heart in your algebra notebook?

Crushes are just fleeting little feelings towards a person you're attracted to. It doesn't have to mean you're pining after them.

Deleted member 4367

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm certainly attracted to other people, but I've never actually crushed on someone else. Nobody else has ever seemed remotely as awesome as my wife.

That isn't to say crushes aren't normal. I'm just lucky not to have to deal with them I guess.

If you have a crush on someone you should limit your relationship with them drastically though.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, what exactly is a crush? Couldn't it just be strictly lust? Does it have to be some Shakespearean pining for love?

Jun 10, 2018
Crushes develop because you notice (or imagine) a level of emotional compatibility with another person that's a good base for a "happy" relationship.

I'm of the thought there is no "one true love", but rather there's a pool of potential partners for everyone where their romantic compatibility is high. And within that group, the level of compatibility is perceived to be higher than others, which can lead to cheating or someone dropping their current relationship for a new one.

So, in a sense - yeah, developing a crush is normal. Whether it is pursued however is dependant on the strength of that desire, a person's willpower to stay committed to the relationship, and/or how discontent they are with their current relationship.

Edit: I should add this is entirely from my perspective as someone who has never developed a crush based solely on looks. Every single time I've had a crush it's because I've gotten to know a little how that person behaves and think, on top of sharing personal details with one another.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Yeah, I do. I acknowledge it and always try to contain it.

I often wonder if I'm already cheating on her even though I never actually pursue my crush.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
I am pretty drunk. I have communicated in the past, and it's more or else a response of, "eh, it happens". I just feel like it should not happen.

Just as a baseline you should wait till you're sober before deciding I you wanna action any crushes you have.

I have a completely one sided crush on my wife's best friend. Both my wife and her friend are aware of it and joke about it constantly.

F

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
Of course not.
Signing that piece of paper instantly makes you completely immune to those.
There must be something wrong with you.
Or with the paper you signed.

Shadybiz

Oct 27, 2017

Heh, before we started dating, my wife's best friend was crushing on me. I had no idea at the time, my wife told me years later. My wife had also developed feelings for me at the same time, so when she learned about that, she pulled the trigger. I am quite oblivious to these things, so she made it very obvious that she was into me (I was also into her, so that clearly worked out) Didn't strain their relationship or anything, and the friend met someone shortly after that and they're happily married. I don't believe she knows that I know, and I wouldn't bring it up.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
Not married but am in a long term relationship and I've been infatuated or had a crush. It happens. Can't control your feelings but you can always control your actions.

It was gone and over in a couple of months anyway, so am glad a couple of choices were made during that time that didn't lead me to something I'd/we'd ultimately have regretted. My better half could tell and she teased me about it; guess she was more confident than i nothing would happen.

Now that I got past it, that woman's now a legit friend.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
It gets way easier to deal with as you get older and calm down a bit.

I was in my 20s during my first marriage which was generally an unhappy one so it was kind of rough in that regard. After we divorced and I was back on the market, it was like throwing cold water on those crushes because you realize that the feelings are likely rarely reciprocated.

My second marriage in my 30s has been infinitely better but I'm also a little less horny and in a way happier situation than my first marriage.

I often think about how much dating in my 30s was kind of a giant pain in the ass and how exhausting the whole "getting to know someone" process was to me. Almost all feelings that I have for other people I now recognize as just lust and I find everyone else supremely lacking as I don't have that deep and intimate connection that I have with my wife. Plus I married someone that is smarter, better looking, and generally more successful than I am so most days I feel super lucky.

I never really felt any of the above with my first marriage so your situation might also vary on how happy you are in your marriage.

The only constant that I've observed is to avoid the pitfalls of getting married way too young.

DarkSora

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you can look at the menu but obviously don't order off of it.

Deleted member 4413

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with a healthy fantasy life. Could even lead to some interesting role play scenarios if you and your spouse are open about them.

I'll do you one better and say you can even love more than one person at a time. A marriage that works is not one without temptations or feelings for other people, it's one where you choose to be with one person over all the others.

This right here.

Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between having little baby crushes on people and actually pining for people because you're bored of your partner.

I know of some couples that have talking about their crushes with each other.

treemasterx

Nov 16, 2017
For me, the only thing that is crushing me is the world. I have had crushes, but most of them are just pipe-dreams.