• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please tell me I am not alone. I get them on occasion. I get worried about them sometimes.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
man you always make such strange threads. Also yes many people do which can be one reason people fall out of love.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
I haven't yet, after 7 years. I think I'm in minority though.
Also I generally crush very slowly.

Rotkehle

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Hamm, Germany
Sure, but I know that it is just exactly that. Just a crush based on little things. And in the end it's let's me see why I love my Wife so much.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
What is described as a crush here and why the hell are people saying it's normal if you're serious with someone/married? I've been with my girl for 5 years and I've never at any point thought about someone else in any romantic way since we became serious.

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
What is described as a crush here and why the hell are people saying it's normal if you're serious with someone/married? I've been with my girl for 5 years and I've never at any point thought about someone else in any romantic way since we became serious.

yeah, its pretty weird to read lol

of course I look at other women and think they are hot, but an actual crush? no, thats not a good sign....

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I think there's a difference between finding a person attractive and having a longing or pining to be with them. I consider the latter a crush. The former is just an attraction.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I'll be honest I've never been married, but when I'm with someone I care about I have never had a crush on someone else. To me I can't even fathom having that feeling for another person who isn't my significant other.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get crushes anymore and I'm not married.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It happens. I get worried too and I put them in my mental folder titled "who I can't be friends with" .

Trice

Banned
Nov 3, 2018
Croatia
Human nature just doesn't go away magically after putting a piece of metal on your finger.

That's reserved for Frodo.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
A crush doesn't have to be romantic. In five years you've never looked at another woman and thought--"Damn. She's attractive." I feel like that's why OP is describing.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
A crush doesn't have to be romantic. In five years you've never looked at another woman and thought--"Damn. She's attractive." I feel like that's why OP is describing.
Imo having a crush isn't a simple acknowledgement that a person is attractive. It's a step beyond that, to the point you think about them in a deeper way. Whether it be romanticizing them or fantasising.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Every married man and they mama was talking about that J-Lo/Shakira performance at Superbowl. Unless celebrity crushes don't count.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Imo having a crush isn't a simple acknowledgement that a person is attractive. It's a step beyond that, to the point you think about them in a deeper way. Whether it be romanticizing them or fantasising.
Yup. For example, if you're heterosexual, you can still acknowledge that a member of the same sex is attractive, but that wouldn't be a crush.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
A crush isn't saying "oh wow she's pretty"...it's beyond that for sure. When someone says, for example, "Hey, I have a crush on someone, how should I approach them?" that's what's usually described as a crush

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll do you one better and say you can even love more than one person at a time. A marriage that works is not one without temptations or feelings for other people, it's one where you choose to be with one person over all the others.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019

of course I look at other women and think they are hot, but an actual crush? no, thats not a good sign....
Humans are not made for monogamous relationships so that's pretty normal. Nothing weird about developing feelings for other people while you are in a relationship.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

it's not a bad sign at all. it's not like love or lust is a single attraction that can only be focused on one person at a time. developing crushes on other people is a relatively normal part of being in a long term relationship and they're usually harmless and fleeting as long as you don't act on them

ace3skoot

Dec 3, 2018
you don't just stop being human because you signed a bit of paper, suddenly finding yourself attracted to someone who isn't you spouse is not uncommon but there are healthy and less healthy way to deal with such things. Things like thoughts ans feelings for the most part are not under your control and you should not beat yourself for it, what you can control is your actions.

OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love my wife and all, and we compliment each other well, but there'll be a few that make me go, "in the short term, I feel like I would feel way more ecstatic." if that makes any sense to anyone else.

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
Humans are not made for monogamous relationships so that's pretty normal. Nothing weird about developing feelings for other people while you are in a relationship.
This is pretty weird to me. If you start developing romantic feelings (assuming you meant romantic) for another person while in a relationship, I'd hope the expectation is that you are transparent about it and make sure it stops.

Whether humans are *made* for monogamous relationships or not doesn't change the fact that typically, a marriage indicates an agreement between the two that it will be monogamous. If I'm getting married to someone, I would hope that person doesn't think it's normal to have feelings for other people.

But everyone does their own thing I guess

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love my wife and all, and we compliment each other well, but there'll be a few that make me go, "in the short term, I feel like I would feel way more ecstatic." if that makes any sense to anyone else.
LOL Nothing would give me more life right now than having some side action. I'm not going to go there though because that's big picture stupid. Have you communicated your feelings to your wife? Sometimes just honest communication can take that edge off.

Zampano

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2017
No the moment you get married you are only ever attracted to your partner and it is impossible to get a crush on another human.

Oct 27, 2017
No, I don't get 'crushes' because I understand what it could lead to, so I stop at the "I'd tap that" reaction and that's it.
Don't want to ruin my happy married life because of a 'crush'.

Dec 2, 2017

How long have you been together?

At the end of the day, being with someone and staying committed to this person is a choice you make. People have different thoughts on what is going too far when one is in a committed relationship. I certainly do not mind a bit of flirting as long as it stays harmless and there is no intention of taking it beyond that but others may already see this as going too far.

How does your wife feel about this?

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Perfectly normal, it cant overpower true love though, which is why I'm secure with accepting it. It just becomes more of an admiration of someone but never exploration. I'm incredibly attracted to my wife so it's an impossibility.

Last edited:
OP
OP
subpar spatula

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
LOL Nothing would give me more life right now than having some side action. I'm not going to go there though because that's big picture stupid. Have you communicated your feelings to your wife? Sometimes just honest communication can take that edge off.
I am pretty drunk. I have communicated in the past, and it's more or else a response of, "eh, it happens". I just feel like it should not happen.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
it's not a bad sign at all. it's not like love or lust is a single attraction that can only be focused on one person at a time. developing crushes on other people is a relatively normal part of being in a long term relationship and they're usually harmless and fleeting as long as you don't act on them

Kinda yeah. A relationship typically doesn't magically flip some switch, which changes how you think / react about other people. But it's a commitment not to act upon certain desires / urges, out of respect towards your partner's (a person you love and care about) feelings. To uphold that commitment is a choice you make every single day.

But for your own sake you shouldn't let these kinds of innocent crushes really fester ...

Whether humans are *made* for monogamous relationships or not doesn't change the fact that typically, a marriage indicates an agreement between the two that it will be monogamous. If I'm getting married to someone, I would hope that person doesn't think it's normal to have feelings for other people.
Well, to put it inversely - i wouldn't say any kind of 'feeling' is unnatural. Like, people can fantasize about / feel things that they just wouldn't or won't act upon.
Hell, it's a commonly used stereotype in modern entertainment media that wives think about some hunky dude while having sex with their husbands.

Like, when we're having a more heated discussion, i often feel like yelling at my partner. But i don't. And i'm sure my brother-in-law sometimes feels like just walking out on his wife and 2 little boys (1y and 3y) during the moments that are particularly overwhelming. But, of course, he doesn't. And there's certainly people in relationship who feel like hooking up with that hot new colleague at work who's really cute and funny. But they don't.

I don't think it's a healthy idea to want to "censor" your own or your partner's feelings - if they're short lived and don't lead to actions, they're kind of inconsequential.

Bear Patrol

Oct 27, 2017
I am pretty drunk. I have communicated in the past, and it's more or else a response of, "eh, it happens". I just feel like it should not happen.
It sounds like you're describing not a long-lingering attraction but more a feeling of "I could see myself being in a relationship with this person because they're attractive". Is that right? If so, yeah, that happens.

For me, it's more that I'll notice someone attractive and might have that thought about them before I dismiss it out of hand-happens maybe once a year. Regardless of noticing someone else being attractive or engaging in a bit of "what if?" day-dreaming, I know my wife is the one for me and that it takes constant commitment and work to make that happen. Feeling a momentary attraction to someone else every once in a while isn't bad so long as you don't actively encourage or seek that feeling.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
This is pretty weird to me. If you start developing romantic feelings (assuming you meant romantic) for another person while in a relationship, I'd hope the expectation is that you are transparent about it and make sure it stops.

But everyone does their own thing I guess
There is no point in denying human nature. People will get sexually attracted to other people and might even develop feelings for them. Completely normal. The sooner you realize that, instead of denying it, the better.

Marriage to me is just an outdated contract that really only has financial benefits to me.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no point in denying human nature. People will get sexually attracted to other people and might even develop feelings for them. Completely normal. The sooner you realize that, instead of denying it, the better.

Marriage to me is just an outdated contract that really only has financial benefits to me.

Yeah I feel the same. The more you fight this natural habit, the more it's actually an issue for yourself and the more you make it to an issue for the relationship as a whole.
Accept it, maybe even fantasize about it even - because why not, but if possible don't act on it if you didn't decide anything in that way with your SO at first. You either communicate this in advance or you shouldn't have gone that far anyway with the relationship. General rule of thumb is "when in doubt, rub it out". As soon as you masturbated, the feeling is gone, right? *leaning far out of the window*
The short term fancy will go away too with time. Nothing special really. Just ask yourself what you would do the instant you both finished having sex. Because mostly that's when it's getting awkward anyway and the other isn't your SO.

We have a german word, "schmunzeln", which isn't quite the same as smiling, because it has some sort of mmm, second thoughts behind it, mostly fun or pervert related (hehe), which I always do when those things happen. Maybe smirking? I make my fun of it, but then I go my way. Funny hehe.

Transistor

Outer Wilds Ventures Test Pilot
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
Of course you do. My wife and I commonly communicate our crushes to each other. It helps us understand each other's desires and needs better.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
Crushes happen. I don't think there's anything nefarious about it but it also doesn't necessarily mean anything at all.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
LMAO the virtue signaling in here like your SO is reading the thread "Oh lordy no I never ever would have a crush on another person *looks over shoulder to make sure their SO sees it*"

It's perfectly normal, it's about being an adult and not acting on it. For those that haven't had a crush while in a relationship, call me when you've been with someone for 10+ years.

Of course you do. My wife and I commonly communicate our crushes to each other. It helps us understand each other's desires and needs better.

That's a great understanding you two must have, sounds fun as heck too. My wife would probably kill me if I tried that though, just not her style due to some past experiences.