• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
The game came out less than 24 hours ago dude. I'm sure you're excited about it but... chill! Ask again in a year or so when the fever has died down.

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even feel the Arkham games were the best. That still goes to the NES Batman.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
i honestly think GTA 4's Liberty City rendition is superior to Spidey's New York let alone GTA V

Spiderman New York seems too clean

There's definitely more pedestrian humor in a GTA city, and a stronger presence of culture. Nobody does that better than Rockstar.

Architecturally, Spider-Man has the most realistic modern city in video games, however. The layout and the simulation of the city is an achievement. The only thing weird is the lack of bikes, buses, and skateboards.

Beer Monkey

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Holy shit it is beautiful. It feels same-y so far, so I don't even know if it beats Sunset Overdrive let alone the Arkham games. I'll play longer and think about it.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about 5 hours in and it hasn't dethroned Asylum for me yet. Rocksteady absolutely nailed the location and athmosphere in that game.

(I haven't played Origins or Knight)

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yes. Asylum was great but City, Origins and Knight were nothing overly special.

So far for me though, Spider-Man is hands down one of the best games I've ever played. If it continues like this it will no doubt become my favourite game ever.

Jul 24, 2018
It's definitely better than the Arkham sequels but Arkham Asylum still stands stronger with a great memorable hub and none of Spidey's Rogue Gallery can match up to the likes of Scarecrow and Joker. The boss fights are better though in Spider Man for the most part.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
Arkham games are in my top games of all time, I played spider-man all day yesterday and I think it builds on the blocks laid by the Arkham games very well in almost every aspect. So yes I think it does dethrone them.

Sp1

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
I can't deal with these icon-ridden "open world" games. Plus the art direction is painfully generic and it's a shame, considering that Insomniac is known for making high quality cartoon graphics. They are given a comic IP and made something that looks like any GTA clone.
The first Arkhams had awful character designs (until Origins), but the environments were ace. Also Arkham City still handled the balance between open world tropes and tight level design well enough.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
No. I wrote this in the OT:
After having played for a couple of hours, I am curious to play more, but I don't think I like this as much as the Arkham games. The combat seems like a nice enough imitation of the Arkham system (the attack and evade buttons are too far apart, though ...), but the investigation, pre-engagement positioning and traversal gameplay is much worse.

The Arkham games had this wonderful sense of being a predator who is in full control of his surroundings. This was most obvious in the stealth encounters against enemies with guns, but it was also the framing of most other fun activities in the games. You monitored your surroundings from the shadows or from above, made a plan, and actively choose to engage with melee fights, stealth sections or puzzles. Some sections were pretty linear despite this, but the games always made it feel like you were planning your approach.

I don't get the sense of being in control of my surroundings at all in Spider-Man. The game doesn't expect me to or reward me for trying to make observations about my surroundings. I feel like I am stumbling from one decent combat encounter to the next one, without having any active part in planning the overall approach to traversal, engaging enemies or puzzles. The game doesn't provide any real options, or even any quality faked ones, which relegates the player to the role of a decision maker and button presser in a series of Arkham style combat encounters.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Not from what I've played so far. Great game though.

Origins is still king.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Nope and I don't expect anything will, not even a new game by Rocksteady.

It's def better then Arkham Knight tho.

Last edited:

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
No. I think Arkham Knight is a better game. I don't give a fuck about y'all hate boner for the Batmobile.

But Spider-man might be have best traversal and combat in a open world game period, never mind in the superhero genre.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, right now, Spidey feels great cause it's new, but Bats has the cooler toys and villains. I was workin on my first spidey game and I had my Batman Arkham City Statue sitting right on my desk. My collegues gave me a bunch of warnings, the studio manager was a big Spidey fan and not really a fan of Batman. Nothing really came of it though.

SuperYlvis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Way to early to tell. People need to wait to make threads like these. Wait at least a few months until hype dies down.

Majukun

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
game just came out...

I wonder if this game will follow the usual trend of the next 1 or 2 months after it comes out being full of threads like "is this game the best X thing ever" or "what this series/genre can learn from this game", and so on.

Zeel

Oct 27, 2017
Arkham Asylum is the goat of superhero games, I doubt anything will beat it in a very long time.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Traversal is better in Arkham? I don't know how you could come to that conclusion. Swinging around Manhattan in spider-man is one of the best aspects of the game.
Spider-Man has amazing capabilities to traverse the world, but it is a maximalist system that emphasizes raw power. The system doesn't tie as well into the level design as in the Arkham games imo. The transitions from traversal to fighting, picking up items, and solving puzzles is less smooth. The system is also worse at facilitating a planned approach to tackling challenges, like I describe in the other post.

Staf

Nov 7, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
I'm not done yet so i'm not sure. I put it on par with Arkham City but below Arkham Asylum. And, obviously, better than Knight. Spider-man really drags at times, primarily due to the sections when you do not play Spider-man.

It's a solid 8/10.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Isn't this a joke thread based off that Hollow Knight dethroning Super Metroid thread?

Edit: this one:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/ha...d-super-metroid-sotn-in-the-public-eye.54577/

Super Metroid and SOTN literally named the genre Hollow Knight belongs to. This is not the same thing. The Arkham games clearly influenced the combat of Spider-Man, but Spider-Man draws inspiration from a variety of open-world action games (like Spider-Man 2: The Game, perhaps the biggest inspiration of them all).

Hope

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Spider Man is fun, but the Arkham games are WAY better in pretty much every way. Literally the only thing that Spider Man really excels in is the webslinging.

Iam not far in but combat feels alot better and it has objectivley more variety than any batman game

#originsisthebestbatmangame

Deleted member 2595

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd agree with that, yeah. I didn't play Arkham Knight though, so I could be missing out on something.
Arkham Knight is honestly unbelievable. Arkham Asylum is still the best 'Batman game' but Arkham Knight and Spider-Man are both 10/10 'superhero' games.

Its good but no.

The side stuff is Spiderman is pretty bad and I am only a few hours in. Its open world filler from 2007.
More and more side stuff unlocks, even later into the game. The game also feels completely different every few hours what with levelling up improving core movement and all the unlocks.

See how it develops for you.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think so, Batman was really original all round, Spider-Man still is based upon the template of Spider-Man games of the last 15 years.

It's a good game, but I do felt like I've played it before

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
Been out 2 days and already comparing it to Arkham?

You would hope a game 5-6 yrs later can be better then Arkham, but at least here the openworld is too Ubisoft checklist for my liking .

starfox

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Portugal
It's kinda a bad question to put it. Arkham Knight is a visual tour de force, but changed a lot of the core gameplay of the franchise, even if it has been evolving into the open-city type of game it his.

Arkham is a same developer franchise that felt that it needed to develop over time, instead of Spiderman's IP that was kinda a cash grabby same-o same-o titles with better visuals/tech that has been released since the PSX (I know there has been a couple of odd spiderman games). When Insomniac releases Spider man 3, and makes sequels that don't fall tottaly into the ground, then we'll talk.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Spider-Man is an awesome game and incredibly impressive, but it's not god-tier like the Arkham games.

Spider-Man is too, I don't know, safe? Checklist-y?

elektrixx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So far, I'll say at least the first two Arkham games are better (I haven't finished Knight). Movement and controls are more clear, particularly during combat. Missions are more enjoyable and characters are more engaging.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
I'm conflicted.

I love the swinging and graphics, but so far the game isn't doing anything for me. The missions are already starting to annoy me and at the end of the day--it feels like another open world game. It has towers for no real reason. Just to add some filler.

Also, I don't like the combat. The goons take too much damage and their aim is too good. Like, I'll duck behind a building and they can still track me, then fire a rocket with crazy accuracy.

And the world is kinda bland. I wish there were more street level activities. I like the linear levels/story more than anything.