Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Well... Assuming a PS5 game is 4k and 1080p on Lockhart and we go with 4tf against 9.2tf Lockhart might push less pixels but could have better fps and better effects 😉
I know you're joking, I mean PS5 can probably be played in 1080p as well :P But seriously, everyone should just assume that Lockhart will be the abslute lowest end model next gen, if it exists at all. Personally I think it sounds like a weird product, it's only there to be able to use "Next Generation Xbox - Starting at only $299!" in ads, core gamers won't touch it so in the end the XSX still needs to have a competitive price or MS will lose the pricing war anyway.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I would love the meltdowns if this was true.
In that scenario I'd like a comparison of people who were all about the power 7 years ago, but now don't think power is that important.
We've already seen that switch, it has been all about the games since the X. It would be more fun to see Xbox fans who're now in full love of power backpedal if Sony has a 3xPS4 Pro mode at 12.6TF too besides the other rumoured modes. Then what? Lowest price wins? Lockhart? ;P
/s

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I know you're joking, I mean PS5 can probably be played in 1080p as well :P But seriously, everyone should just assume that Lockhart will be the abslute lowest end model next gen, if it exists at all. Personally I think it sounds like a weird product, it's only there to be able to use "Next Generation Xbox - Starting at only $299!" in ads, core gamers won't touch it so in the end the XSX still needs to have a competitive price or MS will lose the pricing war anyway.
I'm not really joking, we won't see 1080p games on PS5.
PS5 is of course more powerful than Lockhart considering current specs, of course. But games could perform better in the end. We have seen games on PS4 pro performing better than the X version because it ran a game with lower resolution.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is of course more powerful than Lockhart considering current specs, of course. But games could perform better in the end. We have seen games on PS4 pro performing better than the X version because it ran a game with lower resolution.
Yeah but how hard is it for Sony to counter that and include a performance mode that decrease the resolution? We already have that in many (most?) X/Pro versions.

chrisPjelly

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
These machines are going to be $449 and $549 USD, aren't they...
We've already seen that switch, it has been all about the games since the X. It would be more fun to see Xbox fans who're now in full love of power backpedal if Sony has a 3xPS4 Pro mode at 12.6TF too besides the other rumoured modes. Then what? Lowest price wins? Lockhart? ;P
/s
I think it's also important to keep in mind that, at the beginning of the generation, the Xbone was the weaker of the two AND the more expensive option (lol mandatory Kinect). I don't think things will be as heated next generation so long as their prices are appropriate for their respective power.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
$399 for PS5...Sony will release pro with specs on part with early next gen Xbox two years from now.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's also important to keep in mind that, at the beginning of the generation, the Xbone was the weaker of the two AND the more expensive option (lol mandatory Kinect). I don't think things will be as heated next generation so long as their prices are appropriate for their respective power.
You can still bet Xbox gamers will be sour if XSX is weaker than PS5 even if it's cheaper. I know I will, but I still think that will happen and I'm fine with it since I've prepaid Game Pass til 2022 and don't have to pay for the 1st party launch games. I'll jump in on PS5 eventually to enjoy the power.
The interesting scenario for me personally is that my PC will actually be weaker than the consoles unless I upgrade this year, which I won't. That's new.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
If this is true, plus Microsoft's customer supporting BC, there is a 0% chance I go with Sony next gen. I'm just angry And ashamed I ever went with Sony in the first place in 1995.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Where's that screenshot of % split of users that still use 1080p sets?
There's still a very large number, the majority in fact, that use 1080p res displays. There's a very strong case for Lockhart in those scenarios.

Isayas

Banned
Jun 10, 2018
You can still bet Xbox gamers will be sour if XSX is weaker than PS5 even if it's cheaper. I know I will, but I still think that will happen and I'm fine with it since I've prepaid Game Pass til 2022 and don't have to pay for the 1st party launch games. I'll jump in on PS5 eventually to enjoy the power.
The interesting scenario for me personally is that my PC will actually be weaker than the consoles unless I upgrade this year, which I won't. That's new.

What are your specs?

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
We have already fully swayed back to power doesn't matter, I'll play where my friends are etc etc. It's literally like we are stuck in a time loop every generation.

are people honestly thinking that millions of customers chose the ps4 because of killzone shadow fall? No, it's where they could play the best looking version of cod, assassins creed black flag etc. And because the media, internet etc told them it was the better box.

the reality is. Every gamer will buy one at launch and if they don't get the other straight away they will wait until the right games come on the platform, then purchase it.

which ever one is more powerful, will have "insert consoles name" is a monster until the mid gen refreshes come out....then replace with that name.....and by the end of it all we will be sat on consoles that have sold between 50 - 120 million a piece. No insane numbers of 200 - 300 mill. Just the same old console hardware numbers we've had for generations.

then rinse and repeat.

im fully in to enjoy this wild ride, just buy them all when it makes sense and stop creating pretend situations for this majority install base to stick with the box you personally prefer. The hard reality is, outside of a few million rabid fans (us) the general population listens to what the broader media/messaging says and goes with that.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
for DF's sake they better hope PS5 is the stronger machine. They were talk of the town for the first half of this gen. U couldn't escape the DF articles. Every damn multiplat there was a video and endless discussion about said video.

but when Xb1x came out...and everything ran and looked better. All of a sudden nobody cared anymore. DF fell off the map after that

In what universe? The current gen was the gen where DF got their relevancy by overly scrutinizing footage.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
Where's that screenshot of % split of users that still use 1080p sets?
There's still a very large number, the majority in fact, that use 1080p res displays. There's a very strong case for Lockhart in those scenarios.

Consoles drive tech. 4K TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper, and 1080p sets are dying. You have a good point, but people will be looking at getting 4K TVs in the future, and they'll most likely get a console that makes use of it.

I have a feeling DF know exactly if the PS5 is 9.2 TFs or not, but they won't say at this moment.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
We have already fully swayed back to power doesn't matter, I'll play where my friends are etc etc. It's literally like we are stuck in a time loop every generation.

are people honestly thinking that millions of customers chose the ps4 because of killzone shadow fall? No, it's where they could play the best looking version of cod, assassins creed black flag etc. And because the media, internet etc told them it was the better box.

the reality is. Every gamer will buy one at launch and if they don't get the other straight away they will wait until the right games come on the platform, then purchase it.

which ever one is more powerful, will have "insert consoles name" is a monster until the mid gen refreshes come out....then replace with that name.....and by the end of it all we will be sat on consoles that have sold between 50 - 120 million a piece. No insane numbers of 200 - 300 mill. Just the same old console hardware numbers we've had for generations.

then rinse and repeat.

im fully in to enjoy this wild ride, just buy them all when it makes sense and stop creating pretend situations for this majority install base to stick with the box you personally prefer. The hard reality is, outside of a few million rabid fans (us) the general population listens to what the broader media/messaging says and goes with that.

The reality is, people bought the PS4 because it was the Playstation of the generation and Sony was pumping out GOTY after GOTY in the tail end of the PS3 generation.

That, and it was cheaper, smaller and a bit more powerful. Easiest decision in the world.

Aldi

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
In that scenario I'd like a comparison of people who were all about the power 7 years ago, but now don't think power is that important.

My friend got a ban on the old forum because she pointed out that some people that were keen to point out power differences between consoles were also the same people who were saying that Titanfall on Xbox 360 and the XB1 looked 'almost identical'

We're in for a wild ride if there are big differences

HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
$399 for PS5...Sony will release pro with specs on part with early next gen Xbox two years from now.

Man, i hate this half step console thing. You dont "really" get the benefits of the horsepower because the base consoles exist, but they still want you to double dip to dodge shitty performance on late gen base consoles.

So double dip, not for a benefit but to dodge the quality of life hit we have created for you by releasing this half step console

Feb 1, 2018
Europe
I have a feeling DF know exactly if the PS5 is 9.2 TFs or not, but they won't say at this moment.

There is a big chance they know indeed... they must be one of the first contact points for leakers and/or developers with SDKs. Obviously DF can't say anything definitive, that would really blow up in their face.

I am at MS end of next month... I will sneak into Phil's office ;)

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
NXGamer has made an interesting video with his thoughts on the PS5 situation.

He still thinks 10TFlops could be the target.

36 CU's @ 2000Mhz for 9.2TFlops seems way to hot for the final retail product.

52 CU's @ 1600Mhz for 10.65TFlops, used as an example in the video, would be a pretty good option for PS5 I think.

Sems4arsenal

Apr 7, 2019
There is a big chance they know indeed... they must be one of the first contact points for leakers and/or developers with SDKs. Obviously DF can't say anything definitive, that would really blow up in their face.

I am at MS end of next month... I will sneak into Phil's office ;)

If you could get us a pic if Lockheart, that'd be amazing. Lol

Jan 20, 2019
Consoles drive tech. 4K TVs are getting cheaper and cheaper, and 1080p sets are dying. You have a good point, but people will be looking at getting 4K TVs in the future, and they'll most likely get a console that makes use of it.

They dont, they already said that they have very few information on PS5 contrary to the Xbox , were they said a long time ago that lockhart has 4TF.

Jan 20, 2019
They won't tell us either way as that will be putting people in a hot spot. They have been hinting that these specs aren't very efficient.

They dont need to put peopel in hot spot, they can just something like " we have be earing this from multiple sources" or something like that, they can protect their sources.

And i do agree with your last part, the specs are not at all efficient, somebody in the Next Gen even said that this specs whould be 30% weaker compare to Xbox for 50% more power, doesnt make sense.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Of course, no doubt 4k adoption will only continue to increase. My thinking is actually for other parts of the world where said adoption is no where near as high, say compared places like US/Europe.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My friend got a ban on the old forum because she pointed out that some people that were keen to point out power differences between consoles were also the same people who were saying that Titanfall on Xbox 360 and the XB1 looked 'almost identical'

We're in for a wild ride if there are big differences

That place really was shit.

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone thinks a 9-10TF box with a good CPU and an SSD will be $399, I want the drugs you are on.

If anyone thinks there will be a near 3TF gap in consoles launching in the same year, near the same time, coming from the same manufacturer (AMD), while insiders are saying both are close in power, I really want the drugs you are on.

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
No game pushing graphics or framerates will be native 4k on PS5. Since there's little visual difference between 1440p or 1800p checkerboard and native 4k, top end games will be using that.

In fact it will be interesting if Xbox games end up wasting a lot of XSX's power going to native 4k to make it easier to hit 1080p on Lockhart.

Outrun

Oct 30, 2017
No game pushing graphics or framerates will be native 4k on PS5. Since there's little visual difference between 1440p or 1800p checkerboard and native 4k, top end games will be using that.

In fact it will be interesting if Xbox games end up wasting a lot of XSX's power going to native 4k to make it easier to hit 1080p on Lockhart.

I don't think that the top devs will waste resources.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who regularly games at native 4k on PC and played Horizon on a PS4 Pro....no, it's impossible for the average person to tell the difference when it's implemented well.

I play pretty close to a 55'' 4k TV (PC,X1X and Pro) and CB is very noticable, to the point of being an annoyance, even in games like Horizon.

Granted, most won't sit as close as I do, so CB works out well. It's not nearly on the same level though, and it's not fair pretending that it is.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even if SX is 12tf and 3tf more than the PS5, I'd still rather devs used CB to achieve 4K if it gives them headroom elsewhere.