• It was alright

Votes: 158 15.4%
  • It was amazing

Votes: 616 59.9%

• Total voters

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's one of those stories you catch yourself randomly thinking about, years later

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
The game's world that we get to explore experiences a total collapse in civilization over the course of the story. Any other hairs you want to split on this?

Except it doesn't. The game is clear that these events are cyclical and have been happening for a very long time, even before the existence of the Healing Church.

Yes, Yharnam descends into chaos as a result of the beast plague- but this is not the first time that's happened (Old Yharnam was burnt to the ground in a similar event), and not the first time it's happened within the world at large. Cainhurst for instance was overrun by what were basically vampires (that were caused by the same blood nonsense) before the Executioners launched an invasion to massacre everyone.

Muntaner

May 12, 2018
It's amazing, maybe the best lore AND story FromSoftware accomplished in his soulslikes.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
Except it doesn't. The game is clear that these events are cyclical and have been happening for a very long time, even before the existence of the Healing Church.

Is anybody alive and sane in Yharnam by the end? Do you not think that civilization in Yharnam has completely collapsed over the course of the story?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
"Story" in From games includes pretty much everything for me - lore, level design, art, environmental details, mood, location & composition of enemies, music, sound, on top of the cutscenes and NPC dialogue.

I think it's a big reason why Outer Wilds clicked so quickly (and intensely) for me. Strip away the combat and that's mainly how I approach Souls games — tons of exploration and piecing together a variety of information from the world to paint a complete narrative picture.

So yes, I enjoyed it. The game is masterpiece just like Dark Souls.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed how little of it the game tried to shove down your throat. It's in the details if you care to look for it, but if your someone who couldn't give a shit (like me), it's out of the way and fantastic game play is there to stand the game up on its own.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
The best gameplay of this generation, but I completely forgot the story.
Or is there any?

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
The story(lore+plot) is a masterpiece. The way it unravels and what the optional areas like the upper Ward and the DLC does to add context to a lot of things is amazing.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The way the story is presented isn't any different, but the lore itself, the places you visit that are connected to it, and the things that happen while you play trhough it (namely killing Rom) are pretty much the best of any game in existence.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
It was my favorite story of a game this gen. How it was it told (through lore writing, environmental design, gameplay, item placement, enemy placement, etc) is such a uniquely "gamey" way to tell a story totally befitting the medium, and is way more focused and thematically coherent than the Souls games from the same studio, AND the writing is actually pretty poetic and not too on the nose, makes it fascinating. It's a great example of horror fiction that delivers the creepy tangibles but the stuff that's left to your imagination is even more haunting. It's a great example of restraint as well as generally being a stony horror narrative.

Semfry

Oct 25, 2017
Post-DLC (which, while subtle on the surface, fleshed out a lot of the backstory and character motivations) it's probably the most well-put together of the more abstract souls-like narratives, and manages a great job of contrasting the comprehensible Human narrative with the Cosmic Horror one that eludes any overall comprehension.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is anybody alive and sane in Yharnam by the end? Do you not think that civilization in Yharnam has completely collapsed over the course of the story?
It was already collapsing before you arrived there, what you actually do is lifting the veil that Rom was lying on everyone living there. Those beings also all have already been there for a very long time.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

1.) Yep. The first ending of the game (where you accept gerhman's offer) ends with the player waking up and seeing the sunrise, implying the events may have just been a dream- or at least are completely over. the SECOND ending of the game where you refuse Gehrman's offer and defeat him, ends with you taking his place as "hunter's helper" alongside the doll as the Hunt begins again.

either way the implication is that Yharnam survives one way or another, and the hunt either ends completely or is repeated indefinitely. Gehrman himself has been a "helper" to what is presumably hundreds of hunters.

2.) Yharnam civilization hasn't collapsed because it's been through this before. There are a lot of infected people and a lot of people that will die, but in the end it will probably end as it did the previous time- with the unsalvageable areas of yharnam bombed out/burned out, walled off, and the city rebuilt overtop of it. This in fact is exactly what Old Yharnam is.

3.) Going back to Cainhurst again, Cainhurst is not in Yharnam but close enough to it- and it has an immortal queen sitting in the middle of it waiting to resurrect the Vilebloods as soon as someone is powerful enough to defeat Logarius and let her out. Cainhurst is very much civilization, the Vilebloods are very much resurrected through the course of the game, and no matter what happens they will likely end up occupying and cleaning out Yharnam if no one stops them.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I couldn't really tell you what it was about. I remember being kind of, "That's it?" at the ending. Although I suppose all those games are pretty similar. The ending of Demon's Souls was really cool though, at least I understood what was happening there.

Nose Master

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly couldn't give less of a shit about it. I've had my old room mate explain it about 5x, and it never sinks in or seems like anything special. These games will always be 100% about frolicking around a neat setting with a neat combat system to me.

Puffy

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
It's basically
giphy.gif

The video game

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
It was incredible BUT the first time I finished it I was like "aha... what was all about again?" but I was so intrigued in some stuff that started to dig in until I found myself doing a complete playthrough to understand the lore and it was mindblowing.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The lore is amazing, but story telling, nah. Like most of their games, they really focus too much on pure vagueness, and doubt most people would understand the story in a single play through without referencing outside sources. So much of the story is just not actually told and even years later folks assume much about the events of the games in question. I feel the storytelling could use a bit more exposition and less vague notes which requires reading tons of entries and trying to connect dots. Feels like you have to play with constant referencing of the game's wiki

darkslayer101

Oct 25, 2017
I went into it knowing nothing about Lovecraft....

Now I have practically read most of his works and its all thanks to this masterpiece

Uthred

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The setting is an interesting riff on the Cthulhu mythos, though it subverts far too many of the central tenents of Lovecraftian horror to be considered a "pure" one. The lore and setting are excellent. The storytelling itself is mediocre at best. Storytelling implies much more conscious structure than a sandbox interaction with obtuse lore provides.

Like all Souls, I only remember what I saw in YouTube videos and read on a Wiki.

One of the more honest answers in the thread. I always find it amusing that people praise a game for its "great lore and storytelling" after they had to have it explained to them in an hour long youtube video.

Ganzlinger

Oct 27, 2017
The lore and story of this game is incredible, really unique. The sad part is that it's mostly shown in notes and small cutscenes or unvoiced conversations.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
One of the more honest answers in the thread. I always find it amusing that people praise a game for its "great lore and storytelling" after they had to have it explained to them in an hour long youtube video.

Pretty much. There isn't much story at all, and even what does transpire is kept vague or up to interpretation. To put a "narrative" together requires reading the lore entries on each and every item in the game you come across, then playing connect the dots on a map to try to figure out how this relates to what you are doing even. And in most cases you are really just experiencing the lore of a world, not an actual storyline you are playing. You kill monsters in a place and learn what happened there, you just killed some shit though.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The setting is an interesting riff on the Cthulhu mythos, though it subverts far too many of the central tenents of Lovecraftian horror to be considered a "pure" one. The lore and setting are excellent. The storytelling itself is mediocre at best. Storytelling implies much more conscious structure than a sandbox interaction with obtuse lore provides.

My approach is always more or less "Ok, I just killed this weird spider, I'm going to search on internet what the hell it was"

I like the lore, but I am unable to remember why my character was killing all those monsters.

Deleted member 42105

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 13, 2018
What story? The game had a story?
lmao if by story you mean telling shit through the lore then yeah it was alright. I don't remember any of it outside of the old hunters though.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I fucking love the themes and concepts of Bloodborne but I wouldn't say the game even had a story until The Old Hunters. Before that it was difficult to piece together a series of events in its lore and the path the player went down didn't really have a narrative structure to it.

Henchman

Mar 10, 2019
Absolutely loved it even if it can be resumed as : "Laurence do all the things he was told not to".

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Lore is not story. This game barely has a story.

Thought the lore was super interesting. But, It's incomprehensible outside of a wiki or someone compiling it for you in a YouTube video like I'm sure most people clicking on this thread have seen and probably conflate with having pieced it together themselves

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
The game's world that we get to explore experiences a total collapse in civilization over the course of the story. Any other hairs you want to split on this?

I don't think you know what splitting hairs means. Yarnham isn't the entire world, its a playable region/area and plainly stated/obvious. Its not a small distinction, its logic.

Right. Yharnam is a decent sized city (at least for the time period that it appears to take place in) but it's clearly not meant to be the entire world.
The crazy stuff that's happening is largely the result of one religious sect abusing the blood of Great Ones they found hidden in tombs below the city of Yharnam.

In gamer terms Bloodborne is like RE2. Apocalyptic shit is happening, but it's only within Raccoon City, not the world.

Pretty much this.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
Lore is not story. This game barely has a story.

Thought the lore was super interesting. But, It's incomprehensible outside of a wiki or someone compiling it for you in a YouTube video like I'm sure most people clicking on this thread have seen and probably conflate with having pieced it together themselves

You can tell a story through visuals or cues other than dialogue or exposition. Like Journey. That game doesn't have any words at all, and it still has a compelling story.

RJeddy

Dec 4, 2017
I had, and still have, honestly no idea what the story actually is - same with Dark Souls, no idea whatsoever. Other than some gothic cosmic horror shenanigans with the spider and the alien whale carcass baby which was the last boss of the DLC, I think I forgot all of BB entirely. I believe at the end I beat the old guy and the moon boss and ascended and became another cosmic being while the doll girl held me? I'm not sure why, but I think that's how it went down.

I keep trying FromSoftware games because of peoples' hype but I never really like them. All of the voice actors whisper and sound like old-timey english lads while my ugly ass player model navigates awesome level designs while dodging enemies to enter the same foggy boss door like Mega Man.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I platinumed the game, so I witnessed every possible thing within but I couldn't entertain the concept of retelling the tale. I recall collecting umbilical cords, but the purpose is hazy in a lore context.

I recall enjoying what I was able to piece together at the time though. Especially in the back half when the more fantastical otherworldy aspects get pushed to the fore.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
Played tons of it and loved it dearly but I have no idea what was going on.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
You can easily kill Father G. with the whip stick by taking advantage of his stupid AI and attacking him through the gravestones of the combat area.

I beat him the first try.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
Sure? It was alright. I appreciate what Soulsborne games do Lore-wise and all, and a lot of it is really cool, but that's not really how I get into Storytelling. I wouldn't want these games to do it any other way, I play them to explore every nook and cranny of the world, but I definitely do not play them for their "Story".

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
No. Since I'm stupid I barely understand anything in FROM's storytelling. Not just Bloodborne but everything since Demon's.

I'm a huge fan of what they achieved in gameplay, but not in storytelling.

Oct 28, 2017
The depth and texture of the world building is what made me decide to platinum the game. Even 2 years after first finishing it there was something about that world that stayed with me and that fascination pushed me to start digging deeper into lore explanations by others online, which in turns spurred my desire to go back to the game and do everything I could in that world. There's really nothing else quite like it.

Jiggy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
wherever
I don't think you know what splitting hairs means. Yarnham isn't the entire world, its a playable region/area and plainly stated/obvious. Its not a small distinction, its logic.

I know what splitting hairs means because it's exactly what you're doing. Have you never heard of a setting being referred to as a world? Do you automatically assume everytime it means the entire fucking planet? And you're ignoring the fact that I clarified my statement in the very post you just quoted.

The game's world that we get to explore experiences a total collapse in civilization over the course of the story.

How much more specific do I need to make this before your demand for lore accuracy is satisified?

How about "a bunch of bad shit happens in Yharnam"? We there yet?

1.) Yep. The first ending of the game (where you accept gerhman's offer) ends with the player waking up and seeing the sunrise, implying the events may have just been a dream- or at least are completely over. the SECOND ending of the game where you refuse Gehrman's offer and defeat him, ends with you taking his place as "hunter's helper" alongside the doll as the Hunt begins again.

either way the implication is that Yharnam survives one way or another, and the hunt either ends completely or is repeated indefinitely. Gehrman himself has been a "helper" to what is presumably hundreds of hunters.

2.) Yharnam civilization hasn't collapsed because it's been through this before. There are a lot of infected people and a lot of people that will die, but in the end it will probably end as it did the previous time- with the unsalvageable areas of yharnam bombed out/burned out, walled off, and the city rebuilt overtop of it. This in fact is exactly what Old Yharnam is.

3.) Going back to Cainhurst again, Cainhurst is not in Yharnam but close enough to it- and it has an immortal queen sitting in the middle of it waiting to resurrect the Vilebloods as soon as someone is powerful enough to defeat Logarius and let her out. Cainhurst is very much civilization, the Vilebloods are very much resurrected through the course of the game, and no matter what happens they will likely end up occupying and cleaning out Yharnam if no one stops them.

You're free to have your own interpretation of the story. I viewed Yharnam as beyond fucked by the end of the game. Maybe Bloodborne 2 will prove me wrong.