Votes: 6 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Wow people already going from anybody but Trump to I'll sit it out and let wannabe dictator for life get reelected so he can fill the supreme Court to be 6 to 3 heavily conservative and add more banned countries to the travel ban and destroy whatever is left of US democracy and law. Enjoy the end of abortions, gay marriage, limits on presidential powers I guess.

If a billionaire can buy his way into the election this country is capital F fucked regardless of the outcome.

Bloomberg would absolutely not act in the interest of the marginalized people.

He also isn't the nomination yet.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
If either Sanders or Warren (however unlikely) end up just short of a majority and Moneybags walks away with the nom, I could see it straight up destroying the party.

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
If a billionaire can buy his way into the election this country is capital F fucked regardless of the outcome.

Bloomberg would absolutely not act in the interest of the marginalized people.

He also isn't the nomination yet.

I'm saying it's better than Trump regardless. Also after citizens United the billionaires are buying the elections anyway.

Doukou

Oct 25, 2017
Wow people already going from anybody but Trump to I'll sit it out and let wannabe dictator for life get reelected so he can fill the supreme Court to be 6 to 3 heavily conservative and add more banned countries to the travel ban and destroy whatever is left of US democracy and law. Enjoy the end of abortions, gay marriage, limits on presidential powers I guess.

Edit: potentially 7 to 2 republican supreme Court actually. Wonder what they'll get rid of next after parts of voting and civil rights acts and limits on campaign financing. The mind reels at how far right things can go with two more Trump justices.
Is a wannabe Oligarch really that much better then a wannabe Dictator?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
If you're already rationalizing why Bloomberg would be better than Trump then you've already given up the fight.

Don't accept that. Be vocal that he has no place in the Democratic Party.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
If you're already rationalizing why Bloomberg would be better than Trump then you've already given up the fight.

Don't accept that. Be vocal that he has no place in the Democratic Party.

Once again, THIS is the energy. What a damned sad state of affairs from some people in here . Rationalizing Biden, Pete, Bloomberg when we aren't even at the General yet

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
The most bloomberg will do is use his delegates to influence the democratic GE platform kinda like sanders did in 2016 if I recall.

But that was an uncontested convention. Hillary won the majority of delegates. In a brokered convention, all bets are off and your performance in the primary ceases to matter. There's no reason to believe the party wouldn't at least consider him.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Once again, THIS is the energy. What a damned sad state of affairs from some people in here . Rationalizing Biden, Pete, Bloomberg when we aren't even at the General yet
I agree with you, but I would submit that Biden and Pete are on a different plane of existence, and circumstances, than Bloomberg.

Pete's progressive on a whole host of issues. He's just not viable because he has -7.3% black support.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know how to check it, but there is a comment that says "In this poll 74% of voters are 45+" If that is true, then the whole poll is skewed.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
He is all over TV. People are impressed by his money and ads. He's also the only candidate going after Trump right now and not eating their own party.
Eh he's definitely not the only candidate not attacking other candidates.

For example, Steyer hasn't done that. It's important to bring up Steyer because he has been campaigning longer than Bloomberg and has spent exactly as much money as Bloomberg has and he for entire year before his presidential run fueled a campaign to impeach Trump.

So he has done almost exactly the same things Bloomberg has done but even before Bloomberg entered the race.

Bloomberg flat out has a much more experienced team which is why he is polling so well while Steyer only has South Carolina going for him.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
giphy.gif

mo60

Oct 25, 2017
Edmonton, Alberta
But that was an uncontested convention. Hillary won the majority of delegates. In a brokered convention, all bets are off and your performance in the primary ceases to matter. There's no reason to believe the party wouldn't at least consider him.
It all depends on how close the candidate with the most delegates is to the magic number. If sanders has only like 25%-30% support with like 1400 delegates while the 2nd place candidate has like 1200 delegates there's a chance the second place candidate is chosen instead of sanders. if sanders has >1700 delegates while the 2nd place candidate has like 1200 delegates or less I do not think the dems will stop him from being the nominee.

Last edited:

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
the main issue is no one has won enough support from the people, someone needs to get the upper hand, preferably before the convention, and once there, can negotiate and settle the nomination so we head into the general.

my personal hope is we can keep our clawing at each other low enough to not hurt November and settle this quickly and decisively at the convention WITHOUT ppl running away from the party screaming "rigged"

im not sorry, i dont give a living fuck about any of this BS going on with the primary, just figure the shit out and prep for November. Anyone moaning about Bloomberg should remember we spent 4 years having our rallying cry be "Trump out" it ain't the fucking time to walk back, that goes for moderates, progressives, all of us.

hey, maybe im wrong and we can drop this rally cry and it wont affect the general, but its been working good so far, so lets not fuck this up.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

Anyone consider maybe democrats mostly care about dumping Trump? That all the energy is vs Trump? That article on Politico about how primary turnout isnt that high: https://www.politico.com/news/2020/02/04/iowa-caucus-low-turnout-110674

i still think opposing trump is our best bet at getting voters to the polls.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Honestly I would really feel better if Sanders won by more than 2%
Same.

I agree with most, but not all, of Sanders' stated policies. But I want to rally behind someone and put the internecine fighting behind us. (Yes, I know we're in primary season and that's the point.) But if we're taking a critical look at it, Warren's trending downward; Pete has no minority support and isn't getting any; and I don't even know if Biden's trying to tank his own campaign. While I personally would be fine with any of those candidates and have donated to both Pete and, of late, Warren, they're not happening.

I want Bernie to win by resounding margins and start planning a transition, which will mean relying upon the established party structure, so that he can start identifying nominees for political appointees. (Restoring competency in institutions is big for me.)

Basically, I just want to avoid a brokered convention at all costs, because that way lies fuckery.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
I have the sinking feeling I'm going to have nightmares of Amy laughing like Ganon in Zelda 2 atop a pile of staplers and the failed campaigns of Yang, Biden, Tulsi, and Warren.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I agree with you, but I would submit that Biden and Pete are on a different plane of existence, and circumstances, than Bloomberg.

Right, this is the point I'm hammering in. I certainly don't care for Biden or Pete as candidates, but they do at the very least fall in line with the traditional values and stances of the Democratic party. I'd hold my nose and vote for them in a general election because they are, at least, Democrats. A Bloomberg nom would essentially allow a Republican to hijack the party because he spent tons of money - a Republican that was still backing Republican politicians and policies just two years ago. That would be a horrifying result and break the party. I cannot stress this enough and I'll shout it from the rooftops if it gets even a few people to take seriously the idea that we can't have Bloomberg win the nomination.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
It all depends on how close the candidate with the most delegates is to the magic number. If sanders has only like 25%-30% support with like 1400 delegates while the 2nd place candidate has like 1200 delegates there's a chance the second place candidate is chosing instead of sanders. if sanders has >1700 delegates while the 2nd place candidate has like 1200 delegates or less I do not think the dems will stop him from being the nominee.

You think higher of the DNC than I do. But even then, I think the prospect of any candidate leading by more than a few points and not getting the nomination will turn things all kinds of ugly- experimental, underground kinds of ugly.

Oct 29, 2017
Same.

I agree with most, but not all, of Sanders' stated policies. But I want to rally behind someone and put the internecine fighting behind us. (Yes, I know we're in primary season and that's the point.) But if we're taking a critical look at it, Warren's trending downward; Pete has no minority support and isn't getting any; and I don't even know if Biden's trying to tank his own campaign. While I personally would be fine with any of those candidates and have donated to both Pete and, of late, Warren, they're not happening.

I want Bernie to win by resounding margins and start planning a transition, which will mean relying upon the established party structure, so that he can start identifying nominees for political appointees. (Restoring competency in institutions is big for me.)

Basically, I just want to avoid a brokered convention at all costs, because that way lies fuckery.

If the turnout and new voter trends from Iowa hold, I would be genuinely shocked if Bernie manages to win on the first ballot at this point (as much as I want him to). It would also cast serious doubts on the viability of ANY of the candidates during the general, given how Trump will have full party backing and his favorability numbers are far higher now than they were in 2016.

...you mean Biden right?

Not only did Obama not want him to run this time, one of the reasons Obama even picked him as VP in the first place is that he never expected Biden to run for president again in the first place. He's hitched his campaign to the coattails of someone who didn't want it to happen in the first place, yet constantly comes off as fragile and aggravated whenever he isn't treated like the anointed one. Given how uneven (at best) his actual campaigning has been in practice he has no business acting so entitled.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I like Bernie, I don't like to see him sad like this. He may not be the most popular (quick, someone quote me and tell me how awful he is) candidate here but he always came off like he worked hard, weather right or wrong.

He really didn't have to run this time, should have listened to Bams.
Well that's Biden.

He was never bad and his policies would still make him the most liberal president in US history. And his policies are actually overall good for the country and can be implemented fairly swiftly with a Democratic Senate. He definitely has a ton of experience and actually knows something about foreign policy. Was involved in many big deals and policies made during the Obama administration including various picks, he was a bit more hands on VP than normal especially on foreign affairs (also negotiated for Ukraine). He has also been through A LOT in his personal life but he still keeps going on, I honestly feel that like many other Democrats who threw themselves in the field he really only did it because he truly believes that Trump is an existential threat. His recent quote was: "I have lost a lot in my life... but I'll be damned if I lose my country too!"

His weaknesses are that he runs a poor campaign/ground game and is not a good orator or debater. Well he WAS a solid debater back in his prime but not anymore. He is also kinda taking the black vote for granted and may get punished hard for it. He also took the electability lane but then showed that he was very weak in gaining old white voters which is a very reliable voting block.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
If the turnout and new voter trends from Iowa hold, I would be genuinely shocked if Bernie manages to win on the first ballot at this point (as much as I want him to). It would also cast serious doubts on the viability of ANY of the candidates during the general, given how Trump will have full part backing and his favorability numbers are far higher now than they were in 2016.
If Iowa and early numbers are showing..young people are not coming out..like at all.

Not a good sign. I'll stop repeating myself though with my negativity about what November is looking like.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Sanders needs Biden, or Bloomberg. Biden is likely to drop out, everyone likes an admirable defeat. Sanders is in trouble if it's him vs Buttigieg.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
If Iowa and early numbers are showing..young people are not coming out..like at all.
But they did.

www.wsj.com

Iowa Democratic Turnout Prompts Concerns About Voter Enthusiasm

Democratic turnout for this week’s Iowa caucuses fell well below expectations, leading some in the party to wonder if the state has become more conservative—or if voters aren’t as enthusiastic about defeating President Trump as they hoped.

Based on entrance polls, voters between the ages of 17 and 29 accounted for 24% of the Democratic electorate in this year's caucuses. In 2016, they made up 18% of Democratic voters, and in 2008, it was 23%[./QUOTE]

Sendero

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg might get stronger if there is a brokered Convention, but right now Buttigieg is the main problem.
And it is a problem, not just because he is gaining traction, but because he is everything you really do not want to have in this election:

There is no "well, he is young, educated & smart, he probably would have an efficient-enough Government" type of argument. His record as major pretty much tell us what kind of politician and approaches he uses (nevermind his whole working for McKinsey).
And the way he handled the 2 scandals with PoC leaders, specially regarding the recordings, automatically makes him a weak and incredibly easy target for Trump.

Unfortunately, it seems a good portion of the Democratic base are getting the approach of: everyone of them is better than Trump, so Primaries are not relevant.
And him heavily channeling Obama (right to mannerisms and inflections), likely makes him more attractive, even if he is really all just platitudes and empty phrases.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
Lets be real for a second. Anyone who doesnt want to vote for transphobic, racist Bloomberg in a general election is completely valid. No one can tell you to vote for someone who spits in the face of your identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.