• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seat

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
Despite this day's outcome being disappointing, I'm ending it with a smile. #LegalizeRanch!

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I didn't say it in jest. :D I'm pretty surprised by both, Bernie was tied in polls in Minnesota with Amy. Biden was further back. Bernie was leading in polls in MA, and Biden still won in a progressive state.

I don't really trust Biden - I know this board and GAF were very Obama centric and numerous Obama fans, but imo Biden is Clinton/Obama 2.0 and works for the man, not for the public.
haha yeah I can certainly agree with not trusting Biden. I'm firmly in the blue no matter who camp, but I was really hoping it was a more progressive candidate.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I know we all like dunking on Mike Bloomberg but Jesus without Bloomberg Biden likely wins every contest except for Vermont. It was originally thought that Bloomberg and Warren would cancel each other out in significance against Sanders/Biden but Warren only impacted a couple states While Bloombergs percentage is the difference between Biden whipe outs in Texas and narrow wins in CA.

If Warren and Bloomberg drop from the race at the same time, it's an advantage for Biden.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Except that didn't happen. Bernie voters showed up for Clinton in better numbers than Clinton voters showed up for Obama. I don't know why this narrative persists.

Because it's a convenient narrative to dismiss people who are way more concerned with the lives of people in this country and in our world than people whose focus stops on whatever bad thing Trump is doing at the moment. They get to feel dually morally superior without having to actually show accountability for running shitty candidates like Hillary.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wait did anyone expect Texas to turn blue this year? I always assumed that was more of a long-term thought.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: What could Bernie's campaign have done better?

Better outreach to the demographics he actually needs to capture to build a coalition, and less emphasis on social media vs. more emphasis on actually getting young people to go out and vote instead of staying home and whining on Twitter.

He's very good at getting people to tweet about him but not so good at getting them to actually vote for him.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't she almost exactly one year too young to run in 2024?

No, actually looks like she makes it by a month hah.

A little more than that, since you only have to be the legal age by the time you take the oath of office. Biden was originally under age when he was elected to the Senate for the first time but he had his birthday before his term started.

But AOC ain't running in 2024 even if Trump wins. That would be ridiculous.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018
I got my hopes up for a Bill Shorten win in Australia, Corbyn win in the U.K and a Bernie win. Don't want to start hoping that Joe beats trump cause i feel like i'll jinx it lol

xfactor99

Oct 28, 2017
Wait did anyone expect Texas to turn blue this year? I always assumed that was more of a long-term thought.

Like 4-5 polls from different outfits released recently consistently show it tied like 46-46 between Trump and all the Democratic candidates. Of course the issue is that the remaining undecideds are likely to swing to Trump

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Honest question: What could Bernie's campaign have done better?

1) Don't praise Fidel Castro. Under no circumstance should you say Gotta hand it to them in regards to ISIS.jpg
2) Maybe don't downplay the pervasiveness of racism in the south and play the class card.
3) try to coalition build with other democrats especially other candidates in the race.
4) court the youth vote but don't rely on it. It's a good way to Fail with this alone

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
oh he's about to be.

Burisma is Her Emails 2: Electric Boogaloo

oh and then there's the whole lying blatantly on TV about his college education, having maybe more dementia than Trump....

No one really cares about Burisma anymore.

The whole problem with the emails thing was that it was a national thing. Burisma is something going on the other side of the planet.

Plus, it also involves Trump shenanigans, so it's not something that can be easily exploited.

Chindogg

Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
Judging by the numbers, do better with older black voters and suburban whites.

There was no way Sanders was going to court old folks away from Obama's VP just like in 2016 where he wasn't going to be able to court Bill's wife.
Biden won states he didn't even visit. It's not about issues or looking at the future but sitting with what's comfortable because in the end they'll be long deal before the ramifications of their vote will fully take effect.

Oct 25, 2017
Norman, OK
I used to be on the "AOC should probably wait a decade to run for president" team but if Biden, the last relic of the Obama era, loses to donald trump, then a 2024 run is inevitable.

She's going to need to become a known quantity with people who aren't under 30 and on Twitter before having a realistic shot. She'll have no chance with the 50+ white voting bloc in 2024.

Ars Arcanum

alt account
Banned
Feb 3, 2019
No one really cares about Burisma anymore.

The whole problem with the emails thing was that it was a national thing. Burisma is something going on the other side of the planet.

Plus, it also involves Trump shenanigans, so it's not something that can be easily exploited.
Not really. Hunter being appointed because of his father's name, having no experience has nothing to do with Trump. It has everything to do with the Biden name.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A little more than that, since you only have to be the legal age by the time you take the oath of office. Biden was originally under age when he was elected to the Senate for the first time but he had his birthday before his term started.

I think there is an outside chance of it, but yeah I do think too many people overplay the idea of a 34 y/o AOC running for president. It would be completely unprecedented for someone that young to run for it. Which is not to say it can't happen but there's a myriad of reasons it hasn't.

Deleted member 9197

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
hahahahahahahahahaha that is quite the take.

warren has done a great job of fumbling the primary all on her own

From this week's Chapo, something like, "The only person better at embarrassing Elizabeth Warren than Bernie Sanders is Elizabeth Warren." People who think he spoiled her run and not the other way around are nutso in the buttso.

TwoDelay

Apr 6, 2018

I not sure about AOC in particular but if trump wins against Biden the dems are definitely shifting left

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
TBF, at one of his victory speeches Bernie was talking like he was gonna flip Texas. I mean, I guess there have been a couple good polls there lately but... yeah it's still Texas.

Rlan

Oct 27, 2017
Wellington, New Zealand
I got my hopes up for a Bill Shorten win in Australia, Corbyn win in the U.K and a Bernie win. Don't want to start hoping that Joe beats trump cause i feel like i'll jinx it lol

Bill Shorten losing was rough, but almost makes me think Biden could actually beat Trump? I'm for Bernie, but the whole Shorten thing felt that the electorates thought he had too many ideas (dumb as it sounds).The libs basically having no ideas made them feel safer.

if Biden can get in with "back to normal we go", once you get in you can do whatever you want for 4 years. If more Democrats generally get in they can push things through more left of Biden.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
I'm speaking to the general rhetoric that has been out against him and will continue to come at him. But you're halfway there by at least countering a claim! Good job! Now name positive qualities about Biden that make him worth voting for that don't include any combination of the words "he isn't Donald Trump".

This is a weird game you're playing. I understand that you're maybe frustrated, but let's reconsider something about your hypothetical.

When you cite that these certain "well-intended" people voted for Trump because they thought he could 'shake things up' as an outsider and do things differently from typical politics, what were the specific positive qualities that locked that vote in for them?

There was a very clear mountain of evidence before the election that Trump was not just a gross person, not just politically inexperienced, but a constant liar with many dubious business dealings.

Nevertheless these hypothetical people ignored the many red flags and convinced themselves that it was all good.

So I'm gonna posit to you that these people didn't vote for Trump because they actually saw positive qualities in him. They voted for him because politics IS massively disfuncional, and despite not understanding much about it, they thought maybe they could just gently burn the system down with a "businessman" at the helm - whatever happens, certainly a 'billionaire' would not let it completely go to shit, right?

Well, the situation has clearly gone to shit. I don't know how you could ignore it even if you don't care about politics. Politics is now more annoying than ever, and things are very not-normal. Whatever noise motivated them to take the nuclear option in 2016 certainly must be much louder today, right?

So I don't think you could say much to them except to clear up false information when it comes up, and state that Biden would be the quiet option. No revolution, just a time out for the MAGA Republicans and some relative calm in the government and headlines. They aren't voting on actual policy, they want 'normalcy' and peace and quiet.

Raiku

Oct 25, 2017
California, USHeyHey!
A real rough night but the people have spoken. I think Joe Biden is a perfect representation of the modern Democratic party. If he is indeed the nominee I hope he starts taking it seriously. No more calling women dog-faced, no more telling people to vote for someone else, no more getting frustrated when he gets even a little pushback. And that's to say nothing of his mental decline but I honestly think that might be beyond his control. Trump will not be an easy opponent. That was always going to be the case no matter the nominee. If he thinks he's gonna coast his way through and scowl-squint his way to the presidency he's wrong. I have zero faith in him to push substantial progressive policies but the least he can do is beat Trump. Alot of people are counting on him.

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
If there's anything Donald Trump can trumpet as an attack it's his mental competence, that's for sure

surely voters will not want a president who is incompetent and can't speak clearly

Trump's been planning to attack Biden over nepotism. Hypocrisy isn't a problem for him, because Trump is Teflon. None of his supporters care about his obvious mental incompetence or corruption or anything else besides owning the libs and pro-Jesus judges. But Democrats and Independents will hold Biden to a higher standard.

Attacks against Biden for being dotty or creepy won't sway people to Trump's side, but they will depress the Democratic, Independent and never-Trumper Republican vote, which is Trump's path to victory.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Not really. Hunter being appointed because of his father's name, having no experience has nothing to do with Trump. It has everything to do with the Biden name.

No. I'm talking about the whole abuse of power thing.

If the media tries to bring it up, Trump will inevitably be brought up. It's impossible to disassociate either candidate from the incident.

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Texas is pretty close to the tipping point, but honestly our only hope to turn Texas blue this year would be for the Coronavirus reek havoc on the stock market and Trump completely fucking up the response(more than he currently is).

Status
Not open for further replies.