• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Will this game be action packed? just can't stand boring as shit games which emphasise narrative over gameplay, god knows I've had enough of that crap this gen...

Proven

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think its worth trusting these "scores", they are clearly rushing through the game without taking it in like reviewers will. Besides, I find these early reviewers are deliberately cynical and negative, remember the God of War early impressions?

So all negative impressions of the game are rushing ?

Plum

May 31, 2018
I hope you know that's not what I'm trying to do lol :p

From the talk of the leaker, he said all elements of traversing the world is robust but will be tedious for the kind of player that doesn't want to walk around for long. I personally am cool with that but I know not everyone will be. That's what I mean.

The actual base gameplay seems to be really well designed but I can see it becoming repetitive really quickly.

Ah, OK. I think though that even with expectations well-designed base gameplay that overall game design can still become an issue. Even *insert game you think is amazing* would have faltered if it was built around doing the same repetitive actions for little justification (such as having to deliver things from and to places you've already been)

Oct 25, 2017
So all negative impressions of the game are rushing ?

don't think that's what they are saying but y'all are also hinging everything on the opinions of like 3 people. Even the person who ripped it says so far it's an 8 as his lowest score.

it's clear this game won't be for everyone at all. The main concept it walking/traversal.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Personally I dont think we should listen to these people. EITHER way i'm going on blackout on this thread. See you guys on the other side.

definedMF

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto Canada
Personally I dont think we should listen to these people. EITHER way i'm going on blackout on this thread. See you guys on the other side.
Yeah I see absolutely no point in putting this much faith in some leakers just because they got their hands on it first. A lot of leakers usually just get these games for the ability to be first to upload youtube videos and analysis, covering their bases for their revenue streams such as youtube and patreon (especially with how saturated gaming content has been for 10 years).

Play the game. Process the game. THEN and only THEN can you let an experience really sit with you and get its genuine emotions out of you.

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Shirrako confirmed no day/night cycle.

"Minecraft has elements of hiding and taking shelter when it's dark
this has no day/night cycle which is a huge fail
but it has rain

when it rains you need to take shelter or it will damage your cargo"

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
Will this game be action packed? just can't stand boring as shit games which emphasise narrative over gameplay, god knows I've had enough of that crap this gen...
Here it's actually gameplay over narrative, but that involves a lot of traversal, exploration and walking. As far as we know, action (understood as shooting and killing) is a secondary part of the game, so it's not probably what you're looking for.

Medievil on the other hand releases next week and has lots and lots of action. ;)

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Shirrako confirmed no day/night cycle.

"Minecraft has elements of hiding and taking shelter when it's dark​
this has no day/night cycle which is a huge fail​
but it has rain​
when it rains you need to take shelter or it will damage your cargo"​
There it is I guess

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Here it's actually gameplay over narrative, but that involves a lot of traversal, exploration and walking. As far as we know, action (understood as shooting and killing) is a secondary part of the game, so it's not probably what you're looking for.

Medievil on the other hand releases next week and has lots and lots of action. ;)
Oh god I just hate how every other SP game this gen is either a walking simulator or boring as hell bland open world RPG

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
Oh god I just hate how every other SP game this gen is either a walking simulator or boring as hell bland open world RPG

that's hyperbole...i mean we have had Control fairly recently, Gears also, we are getting Jedi Order soon...we had DMCV and Sekiro early in the year...that is only action stuff. We also had judgement, etc,

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Some early game information regarding killing enemies (spoiler-free)

If you kill an enemy, 48 hours after death they'll go into necrosis and after that they will voidout, making a fresh BT and a crater. This applies to any enemy that is killed with a gun meaning if you kill an enemy, you HAVE to dispose of their body by taking them to Chiral Crematoriums located high in the mountains and burn their body. The reason they're so high up is because Chiral Smoke is dangerous to go over a city which can cause Timefall.

uhh holy shit. my prediction was right on that but there is even more icing on the cake

the divisiveness is also becoming clearer if this is true.
i can see reviewers and people complaining hard about this. to have such a crazy consequence to killing is going to bring the whine

Last edited:

Pariah

Oct 29, 2017
You still have many choices: Devil May Cry V, Sekiro, Control, Ace Combat (that's action-heavy like nothing else), Monster Hunter and its incredible expansion, all of these games were released during this year and have no other quality (for good or bad) that moving around while killing things.

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
I'm talking generally, I literally didn't went ahead and counted each and every game which has released so far, AAA games ate being produced at a much slower rate especially when compared to last gen and when a hyped 1st party exclusive ends up being something like this it's slightly irritating

Andalusia

Alt Account
Sep 26, 2019
You can't fix a game vision delaying it. DS could be the most polished game in the world and still have a "conception problem"-
Yeah you can. IF a game (maybe this game) is filled will long stretches of "boring" gameplay then that could easily be fixed by having a delay where you decrease/cut the amount of "padding" and increase "action" related situation ie combat. Content being cut and content being added very much can happen late stage and lead to delays.

People honestly think Sony gave Kojima and multimillion dollar blank cheque to develop any game regardless of "conceptional problems" without them dictating anything? What planet are people living on where they think businesses operate like this.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm talking generally, I literally didn't went ahead and counted each and every game which has released so far, AAA games ate being produced at a much slower rate especially when compared to last gen and when a hyped 1st party exclusive ends up being something like this it's slightly irritating

Let them take their time. I'd rather no crunch and long gestation than otherwise.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
Some more impressions from that 900k sub YouTuber dude

[Spoiler-Free]

- Pacing is way off. The story is interesting but there's too many gaps in-between. If you don't play this game often you'll forget what happened before the next cutscene happens. Death Stranding is basically 1 hour of cool shit but 4 hours of delivering packages to NPCs
- Open-world is more interesting than MGSV but it has the same drawbacks
- It's fun when you explore new land but when the game asks you to drive back 5km just to deliver a package to a place you've been to before you're like "fuck off"
- All the safe houses look exactly the same, they have the same exact building you enter to connect and all the resting spots are 100% copy and pasted, they're all the same
- The start of the game is a bit of a chore at some times
- The game is not as good as RDR2 or God of War, but it's different. The focus is cooperation and exploration. If you're expecting a third person stealth action game then you're gonna want to refund.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Dan on giantbomb been dropping hints that he bounced off hard. Thats not a good sign imo. Hes the biggest Kojima fan.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dan on giantbomb been dropping hints that he bounced off hard. Thats not a good sign imo. Hes the biggest Kojima fan.
Think the whole crew did. Game will likely be what it has been shown to be and is Kojimas vision.
the core loop won't change nor will any twists really change the gameplay. Story may be crazy but the gameplay loop seems to be well known

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
It's been said that if you think it's going to a spiritual successor to the MGS games, you're going to be disappointed.

I won't be, the game seems to be exactly what I expected. There's a lot of MGSV (My favourite MGS btw) in this, but I was talking specifically about the ratio between cutscenes/story and gameplay that people seem to agree on so far.

arkay

Nov 8, 2017
Impressions don't sound very promising.. I recall Kojima saying his team wasn't convinced with the delivery/extensive traversing mechanic early on in development but they eventually came around to it. Gonna be interesting how the public responds to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.