• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Are you buying Death Stranding, after seeing all the trailers, and gameplay footage so far?

• Yes

Votes: 1,923 53.5%
  • No

Votes: 905 25.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 814 22.6%
  • Waiting for the PC version

Votes: 67 1.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Some more impressions from that 900k sub YouTuber dude

[Spoiler-Free]

- Pacing is way off. The story is interesting but there's too many gaps in-between. If you don't play this game often you'll forget what happened before the next cutscene happens. Death Stranding is basically 1 hour of cool shit but 4 hours of delivering packages to NPCs
- Open-world is more interesting than MGSV but it has the same drawbacks
- It's fun when you explore new land but when the game asks you to drive back 5km just to deliver a package to a place you've been to before you're like "fuck off"
- All the safe houses look exactly the same, they have the same exact building you enter to connect and all the resting spots are 100% copy and pasted, they're all the same
- The start of the game is a bit of a chore at some times
- The game is not as good as RDR2 or God of War, but it's different. The focus is cooperation and exploration. If you're expecting a third person stealth action game then you're gonna want to refund.

Yeah this game doesnt sound like its for me.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way Keighly can give it GOTY now lol, it just wouldn't be right.

Hope Kojima and his team do well if the game doesn't perform well critically.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Dan on giantbomb been dropping hints that he bounced off hard. Thats not a good sign imo. Hes the biggest Kojima fan.
Would have surprised me if Dan would have liked it considering his general taste.

Lets be honest he is a MGS fan because of the over the top goofiness and throw backs to his action movies he cant stop talking about.

Im not taking it as any sign considering how often i disagree with Dan.

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha!

I'm still going to wait on more impressions before calling it truly divisive, but it does seem like a game where if you aren't enamored with the initial concept of traversing as a core mechanic, then it's not going to do much for you.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Looks like the 80 plus Metacritic dream is dead. Oh well. I'm still hyped but I'll need to manage my expectations.

Also how is Shirrako still getting review codes after breaking embargo again?

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts are:

-The procedurally generated random events in RDR2 got old very quickly and I was ignoring them after a few hours, so I can live without them.
- I don't mind extra travel as long as I don't have to pay a ton of attention. Riding with people in RDR2 or having to constantly keep an eye on the auto-ride was a huge turn off. If I can watch a video or listen to a podcast while traveling, it's a way smaller issue.
- Big gaps between story beats could be an issue if the gameplay doesn't draw me in enough.

This game might go the same route as RDR2 for me, though. I could enjoy it for a while before it wears me down and I never want to see it again. Still willing to give it a chance based on what I've seen.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Looks like the 80 plus Metacritic dream is dead. Oh well. I'm still hyped but I'll need to manage my expectations.

Also how is Shirrako still getting review codes after breaking embargo again?
The dream isn't dead after only hearing a few impressions. Would still be extremely shocked if it gets below 80.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I've been concerned about this game for a while and even I think the doomsaying in here's a bit too much lol. Lets see how things go with reviews and the game itself.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Oct 25, 2017
Underground
It's good to see differing opinions. The opinions of folks down on the game are just as valid as any positive ones. The impressions have done nothing to dissuade me from wanting to play the game. I know what this game is gonna be based on trailers/gameplay, and that's why I'm excited for it. Also, it's just cool to see a big budget game be so different, as in, not the usual gameplay loop of combat/action.

Masagiwa

Jan 27, 2018
Man it's getting hard to avoid the spoilers, excited for the game but DS news is everywhere and I can't just leave the internet like that :P

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, the dream is dead because 2 people didn't like the game? WOW

I mean GB as a whole bounced off the game. People saying this will not be GOTY are being much more realistic than those saying to ignore impressions of people with the game and all will be revealed later And that impressions people have an axe to grind with Kojima

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
The closer to the embargo we get the more panic there will be in this thread, lol

I've lowered my expectations so hopefully it doesn't become another RDR2 situation for me. I liked that game, but found a lot of what it was trying to do mechanically and gameplay wise bad. The story and the world are what kept me playing. So maybe this will be similar.

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Plenty of gamer impressions of RDR2, Witcher 3, and BoTW make want to crawl into a hole and cringe, particularly when it comes to pacing & open world design, not putting much until these leaked impressions, positive or negative.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
looks like it'll end up somewhere in the 80s, as I expected. Still pretty excited for it, I'm down for a weird slow paced game. I'll have Pokemon the week after to go to if I'm in the mood for something brighter and zappier

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I remember when people thought BotW would settle in the mid 80s but then reviews rolled around and whaddaya have it, game had the most perfect scores out of any game ever made.

Obviously that's Zelda and this is Death Stranding but there was a lot of doom and gloom leading up to BotW, very reminiscent of Death Stranding, but all of the negative/middling opinions people have on the game are all valid and insightful. It really just comes down to if you're willing to tolerate hours of walking around a mostly empty open-world with busywork and repetitive gameplay that gets boring quickly. I know I am.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when people thought BotW would settle in the mid 80s but then reviews rolled around and whaddaya have it, game had the most perfect scores out of any game ever made.

Obviously that's Zelda and this is Death Stranding but there was a lot of doom and gloom leading up to BotW, very reminiscent of Death Stranding, but all of the negative/middling opinions people have on the game are all valid and insightful.
I don't remember any doom and gloom over Zelda, I remember glowing previews and everything coming out from reviewers at the time being glowing and incredibly hype-inducing.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
looks like it'll end up somewhere in the 80s, as I expected. Still pretty excited for it, I'm down for a weird slow paced game. I'll have Pokemon the week after to go to if I'm in the mood for something brighter and zappier
Think 70s. Some of those impressions are scathing. You have a 5, a "boring", and an 8.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
Think 70s. Some of those impressions are scathing. You have a 5, a "boring", and an 8.
I'm still expecting 80s. A couple more negative impression I don't think is gonna represent the majority of reviewers. Some people are gonna bounce of off it completely, some are gonna really love it, and most will end up somewhere in the middle. I think the game'll wind up 83 or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.