MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Story time:

Couple of months before the OG Dead Space came out I went to a small sci-fi convention and in the middle of the floor was an ominous black cube.

As I got closer I could see the staff outside were wearing t-shirts with the spinal health bar on the back.

I approached and just asked "Dead Space?" and before I knew it I was beckoned inside to a pitch black room. A few hushed moments passed and this crackled to life on a screen that took up an entire wall:

View: https://youtu.be/RYaJCmJgb9A

After it was over a door opened and a fully suited Isaac Clarke appeared and led me inside a second room where another staff member walked me through a playable combat scenario that was not in the base game.

When it was all over they handed me this art book that I fished out today:

Tv8mZCH_d.webp

I have been a huge, huge fan ever since.

This game means a lot to me.

Awesome! Happy for you that they brought the franchise back.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Just watched The Sphere Hunter's review and the impossible difficulty is what I feared it would be. It's hard mode, with one save for the entire game. Somehow they made it even more difficult than DS2 with one save slot instead of three. It's stupid and I'd much rather just have enemies hit harder and needing to replay sections a half dozen times, I hated hardcore mode in DS2, and I know for sure I'm going to hate it here also. Instead, I now am fretting over needing to put in 8-10 hours in one sitting to use my one and only save slot on the final chapter.

*sigh* Motive if you're listening, please adjust the hardest difficulty, people don't have time to sit down and play for a half dozen hours because the game arbitrarily forces one save slot. There goes my platinum run.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
I said this in the review thread:
I just gotta bite the bullet and pay full price for a 12 hour game.
Wish it was longer/ had a bit more that was new.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
Amazon is on some absolute bullshit lately.

I have had this preordered for months due to a amazon gift card. Currently says it is arriving Tuesday.

I've had issues with them before, and would normally just do Wal-Mart, but this is so obnoxious.

Anyways, can't wait for this

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched The Sphere Hunter's review and the impossible difficulty is what I feared it would be. It's hard mode, with one save for the entire game. It's stupid and I'd much rather just have enemies hit harder and needing to replay sections a half dozen times. Instead, I now am fretting over needing to put in 8-10 hours in one sitting to use my one and only save slot on the final chapter.

*sigh* Motive if you're listening, please adjust the hardest difficulty, people don't have time to sit down and play for a half dozen hours because the game arbitrarily forces one save slot. Well, there goes my platinum run.

From what I read elsewhere it functions a little differently. You can save as much as you like but there are no autosaves. If you die following a station save then your save turns into Hard difficulty - effectively voiding the run.

So you can save and quit to pace out a run and I read that you can just quit before you die to avoid the save change.

I have not watched Sphere Hunter's video so if her description is correct then I apologise.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How moddable do you think the PC version will be?

Aside from giving Isaac a Samus-colored suit, it would be amazing if modders could further expand the intensity director system.

Handicapped Duck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
From what I read elsewhere it functions a little differently. You can save as much as you like but there are no autosaves. If you die following a station save then your save turns into Hard difficulty - effectively voiding the run.

So you can save and quit to pace out a run and I read that you can just quit before you die to avoid the save change.

I have not watched Sphere Hunter's video so if her description is correct then I apologise.
I guess I'll see for myself when I eventually get around to it. I'm still incredibly excited for DS1R, but these permadeath runs added to survival horror games are not fun, and do nothing but add artificial stress. If what you're saying is the case, I'll be using every cheap tactic I can to beat it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
New Game+ allows you to play on higher difficulty this time right? From what I understand, you beat it once then unlock Impossible difficulty and can play with all your gear?

Will be playing through on Hard first, would like to ramp it up on NG+.

Oct 28, 2017
I tried to do a pickup for this because it's available at my local Walmart, but it got canceled. Wonder if I could just walk in and buy it, it even has the aisle it's on.

Rob's Zombie

Sep 28, 2022
Manchester, UK
Man I'm glad I'm going physical with this so I can play it when I get it straight off the bat in the morning. My brother is getting the PC version but won't be playing till 4pm due to this global launch bollocks (16:00 GMT) which really sucks.

I'm still torn between PS5 and Series X due to just preferring to play with the Dual Sense.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Pls sell a bajillion copies and give us Dead Space 4.

Altman be praised.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
I purchased Callisto but haven't got round to trying it yet. Suspect it'll be the same with this... But nostalgia! And it's out tomorrow... So you better believe I'm gonna nab it.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Last edited:

jj70

Oct 27, 2017
Wccftech is reporting stuttering issues on PC

Following the disastrous launch of The Callisto Protocol, fans are now apprehensive about Dead Space suffering a similar fate, especially regarding the now-infamous shader stutter

Luckily, upon launching the game for the first time, you will be greeted by a message saying 'loading shaders'. That alone immediately signaled that Motive Studios did not make the same mistake as Striking Distance Studios. However, shader stutter is not the only form of stuttering. I would really love to say that Dead Space was completely free of stutters, but that's just not true

On my configuration (Intel i7 12700KF, RTX 4090, 16GB DDR4), stutters happen on a fairly regular basis, even with DLSS 2/Super Resolution enabled. I've manually benchmarked (and captured with Shadowplay) a 14-minute-long gameplay session from the first Chapter with NVIDIA's FrameView software; as you can see from the table below, the average frame rate was very high at just over 144 FPS, but the game's minimum frame rate went as low as 15 frames per second...

wccftech.com

Dead Space PC Remake Port Is Middling in both Visuals and Performance

We've checked out the PC version of the Dead Space remake. It doesn't have the big issues of The Callisto Protocol, but it's not great either
that's strange - John is never wrong - https://twitter.com/t00throt/status/1618650785243607040?s=20

Phoenixazure

Oct 27, 2017
Well I bought this for steam after reading good performance on the steam deck. I'll hook it up to the dock on my 4K tv with m-cable when playing with my partner if the series x game pass doesn't get the 10hr trial

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
The Ripper is better than I remember. Only upgraded my Plasma Cutter so far, though, can't abandon the best weapon.

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I forgot this was coming out so soon so I checked my amazon order and it said it won't get here until the 31st so I cancelled and just went digital. Hey at least my friend can mooch off me with his game share.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm not sure how to describe what they refer to in a way that doesn't spoil anything.

So, uh. If you have a suggestion I'm open to it.
Something like this?

My first trip to the ISS Ishimura occured at EA Redwood Shores when they were wrapping up production on the original Dead Space. I'd been excited since the (at the time mocked) Game Informer cover about the horror game from a 'maverick' team within EA. Going hands on with three near final levels confirmed that the game was living up to my best hopes about it.

The last time I set foot back on that planet cracker (not counting replays) was when I found myself unexpectedly there during the events of Dead Space 2.

It was the most scared I'd been playing a game in a long time.

I can't wait to go back, and to get the kind of experience that you can only really get from these high level remakes of horror games, that can subvert your expectations so expertly (Dead Space 2 spoiler) again, just as that incredible section in Dead Space 2 did.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm... I could actually use this opportunity to favor different weapons, or I could tunnel vision the Plasma Cutter and Ripper again.

Decisions, decisions.

PotatoFarmer

Jan 21, 2023
The mad lads at EA motive did it, they resurrected Dead Space. I hope this remake sells enough for EA to cash out for a Dead Space 2 remake and then a proper Dead Space 3, finishing the series how it was supposed to have ended all those years ago.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
How big of a hit do the visuals take in performance mode? Bearing in mind that I usually find the Digital Foundry stuff so granular that would probably never parse it outside of major frame rate or clarity drops.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Looks like there's a small Day 1 patch that my PS5 just downloaded - 1.000.002, 250MB.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you're on PC you can sign up for EA Play Pro for a month at $14.99 and play it.

I thought you needed to sign up for the higher-paid tier to play this?

I feel there has to be a catch; $15 for a month to play this game sounds too good a deal, like I"m expecting intrusive ads during gameplay or some other EA bullshit.

On the subject, if you buy the game from Steam do you still need to launch the EA app to play it? CD Keys has the lowest offer at $44 but it mentions "EA" as the DRM.

Yeah, I"m debating what to do here. The more proactive solution would be to just sign up for a month of the EA Play to go through it, then buy it again in the eventual Steam Sale.

But maybe I should also wait a day or two to see DF's coverage, in case the PS5 version ends up having its image quality fixed by patch or something.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
T'was the night before Dead Space, and all through the ship, not a creature was stirr-ohgodkillitkillitkillit- *stomp stomp stomp*

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
We're all agreed that any former developer from Visceral can do a "I fucking told you so" when it comes to the whole Single Player/Linear experience is dead debate right? Visceral was shutdown just 6 years ago.