NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
yeah is definetly not, weird i dont really remember the game being "masked" as an indie but a lot of outlets were convinced it was? "Best indie of the year!" and stuff like that.

GrayMage

May 2, 2022
In my opinion they came up with a completely reasonable representation of an indie game. They've just failed to correctly apply the definition they made up (on top of failing to accurately determine and list the publishers for each game). Small to mid sized studios is a sensible caveat to rule out more over the top behemoth projects like BG3, which are absurdly out of sync with the connotation in many people's heads that indie projects exist on the fringes of the industry. If you've become successful enough to sustainably employ 500 people to work on your AAA funded game then I don't see how you qualify as a group independent of the mainstream any more.
But they are a small to mid sized studio. They don't have access to the parent conpany's staff or of other subsidiaries.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
yeah is definetly not, weird i dont really remember the game being "masked" as an indie but a lot of outlets were convinced it was? "Best indie of the year!" and stuff like that.

Yep, for example look at the IGN review:

If you would have told me that one of the best games I'd play this year, standing alongside juggernauts with mega-million-dollar budgets, would end up being a retro indie RPG where you play as an obese SCUBA diver who runs a sushi shop…I would have believed you, actually. That sounds awesome. And it is.

Also this Eurogamer article:

www.eurogamer.net

Indie RPG and sushi restaurant sim Dave the Diver reaches 1m sales

Dave the Diver has been making waves since its full release on Steam last month, and the indie game has sold over 1m co…

They note there that it was published by Nexon and that the dev is a subsidiary, but still comfortably call it indie.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
I think there are four criteria for a game to be "indie":

1) The development studio must be independently owned, not a part of another studio or publisher
2) Development of the game itself wasn't externally funded by another developer or publisher (or other third party)
3) The studio itself isn't publicly traded
4) The studio hasn't published any games it didn't develop itself

I don't agree with 4; you can manage marketing / light publishing for a 1-person indie game you weren't involved with and still be an indie studio.

And I would change 2 to be broader in scope: some X amount development budget cap. I don't know what that cap is because I'm not an analyst on that stuff, but it probably has to be some number small enough to not include games that received large cash infusions from larger companies, and small enough to keep the team size under something like 15 for 2 or 3 years worth of development time. I picked 15 arbitrarily because I think Sean said that was the max team size leading up to No Man's Sky's launch. And I'd consider NMS to be the outer edge of what is sensible to be called indie. I think Hello Games's size is more like 25 now due to the success of NMS.

datwr

Nov 5, 2017
Saw this tweet earlier and was kinda frustrated because now people are suggesting that Dave the Diver and for whatever reason Hi-Fi Rush were falsely marketing their games as "indie", when that was literally never the case:

View: https://x.com/DaveOshry/status/1707925545252708670?s=20

lol, don't blame the devs who make it blatantly obvious they're not "indie" on a gaming award website's category definitions.

They have Indie as a genre on steam, and both developer and publisher is Mintrocket, so they are both hiding the fact they are Nexon and calling themselves indies. Its quite blatant in my opinion.

Deleted member 5809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But they are a small to mid sized studio. They don't have access to the parent conpany's staff or of other subsidiaries.

The headcount over at Larian is similar to Valve's.

These corporations have entered the mainstream. At some point you're getting far away from the notion that the team is a bunch of underdogs independent of a major organisation with lots of resources to sustain itself.

Common sense would call bullshit on Capcom Business Division 2, Square Enix Business Division 3, Xbox Game Studio 331 or Ubisoft Montreal just slapping on a different label and being touted as an indie team just because their output resembles indie games, which is exactly the case with Dave the Diver.

15SagittaeB

Feb 12, 2022
I picked 15 arbitrarily because I think Sean said that was the max team size leading up to No Man's Sky's launch. And I'd consider NMS to be the outer edge of what is sensible to be called indie. I think Hello Games's size is more like 25 now due to the success of NMS.

But Hello Games were clearly backed by Sony in some way. Maybe they only got the E3 presentation spot, but likely there were more assistances especially in terms of marketing - no idea if it's disclosed how much Sony was involved.

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
this happens countless times with english language, where the definition of a word becomes co-opted by how it's used in the broader lexicon.

Exactly. Indie music is the same thing, it's just a vibe. When 99% of people call a band indie rock, they aren't talking about their label situation
The English language is not based on "vibes." Words have a standardized structure and a specific meaning. That's why dictionaries exist. Just because some people want to pretend the meaning of a word doesn't mean that's actually the meaning of it.

If the argument is, "the previous definition of indie games is not correct anymore in describing the current landscape of indie gaming" then it's time to decide on a new, exact definition and update the world of it.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm a fan of using language in a way that most people would actually understand what I'm saying, so yeah I'd call it an indie game in casual conversation and most people would know what I mean without quibbling about the source of funding for the game.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
They have Indie as a genre on steam, and both developer and publisher is Mintrocket, so they are both hiding the fact they are Nexon and calling themselves indies. Its quite blatant in my opinion.
It's tagged as indie because people use that tag to look for games with a certain aesthetic, scope, and performance requirements. The number of people who would reject a game because it's not an indie in the strict, "nobody else owns this company" definition is miniscule. Why would they hide this?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
And Baldur's Gate 3 is independently published and therefore an indie game...be a bit more critical about what indie means

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those are user-defined tags though.

If you click Mintrocket, it redirects you to Nexon.

On the main menu, Nexon is sitting on the bottom of the screen the entire time in plain sight.

And at no point does it even look like Mintrocket is trying to pretend that it's an indie dev. When you look them up, one of the first things you find out is that they're a division of Nexon.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
But Hello Games were clearly backed by Sony in some way. Maybe they only got the E3 presentation spot, but likely there were more assistances especially in terms of marketing - no idea if it's disclosed how much Sony was involved.

Well, that's not really a factor I consider important, for the same reason that indie music albums may be made on the cheap, but might get some marketing or distribution by a major. As in those cases, I consider NMS to be an indie game at the heart of it. Marketing and publishing determines the potential revenue, not what the game itself turned out to be.

Sean was very clear that he refused outside funding during development, both when their office got flooded (and lost months of work), and then again when he had to remortgage his house when the studio was out of money near the end.

Dec 27, 2019
Seattle
The English language is not based on "vibes." Words have a standardized structure and a specific meaning. That's why dictionaries exist.
Dictionaries don't define words. They document how words are used.

Here's the September update from Merriam-Webster for example:
We Added 690 New Words to the Dictionary for September 2023

Signs of a healthy language include words being created, words being borrowed from other languages, and new meanings being given to existing words. Based on our most recent research, we are pleased to inform you that English is very (very!) healthy.

Below is a sample of the 690 recent additions we've made to our dictionary.

Hell, the Oxford-English dictionary has a constantly running list of new words and updated words right on the front page of their website.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And Baldur's Gate 3 is independently published and therefore an indie game...be a bit more critical about what indie means
Indie as a term is used to categorize devs together so you can easily find and support independent developers. Billion dollar corporations being eligible for these awards and taking attention away from those who it was originally meant to celebrate is yet another black mark on the industry.

datwr

Nov 5, 2017
It's tagged as indie because people use that tag to look for games with a certain aesthetic, scope, and performance requirements. The number of people who would reject a game because it's not an indie in the strict, "nobody else owns this company" definition is miniscule. Why would they hide this?

Aesthetic, scope and performance is an interesting qualification considering indie games vary enormously in those three.
But I have no real opinion on what qualifies as an indie apart from the fact you cant be apart of an massive conglomerate, which in this case they obviously are.

Those are user-defined tags though.

If you click Mintrocket, it redirects you to Nexon.

On the main menu, Nexon is sitting on the bottom of the screen the entire time in plain sight.

And at no point does it even look like Mintrocket is trying to pretend that it's an indie dev. When you look them up, one of the first things you find out is that they're a division of Nexon.

I'm talking about the developer chosen genres, not the tags, so they are really calling themselves indies.
But I'm conceding on the other points, that seems obvious enough.
Any journalist worth their salt should not be calling the game indie if its that easy to see the connection to Nexon.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
Indie as a term is used to categorize devs together so you can easily find and support independent developers. Billion dollar corporations being eligible for these awards and taking attention away from those who it was originally meant to celebrate is yet another black mark on the industry.
Is this a regular occurrence? Also, wouldn't that be entirely on the media and the award givers

E-bite

Oct 24, 2018
Any game developed by a small team that is part of a larger corporation, is NOT Indie.

Yes, It Takes Two is Indie
Yes, Hellblade 1 is Indie
No, Pentiment is NOT Indie

There are some exceptions though, I feel like the most recent Sherlock Holmes games by Frogwares are not considered to be Indie, but they kind of are?!

icecream

Oct 27, 2017
Dictionaries don't define words. They document how words are used.

Here's the September update from Merriam-Webster for example:

Hell, the Oxford-English dictionary has a constantly running list of new words and updated words right on the front page of their website.
The point is there is a standardize list of how words are used and meant. You don't just decide individually you want a word to mean a specific thing. If a word's meaning changes with society, then it gets updated, but everyone should then be using that meaning. A word is not supposed to mean differently to different people.

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
The point is there is a standardize list of how words are used and meant. You don't just decide individually you want a word to mean a specific thing. If a word's meaning changes with society, then it gets updated, but everyone should then be using that meaning. A word is not supposed to mean differently to different people.

It's already happened in this case. So many people in this thread trying to be "technically correct" when that's not how normal people use language. Indie nowadays means a lower budget game made by a smaller team. Nobody cares about the specifics on how it was funded.

Dog of Bork

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's already happened in this case. So many people in this thread trying to be "technically correct" when that's not how normal people use language. Indie nowadays means a lower budget game made by a smaller team. Nobody cares about the specifics on how it was funded.
Yeah this is how most people use it, considering the user-generated search tags and general way everyone talks about games.

People on this site really want to be pedantic about this shit.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
i could swear i had this debate 30 years ago only it was jesus jones, and not dave the diver

some people were really miffed when you pointed out that kylie was indie

AIan

Oct 20, 2019
I think an important thing--for people that are dismissing this--to consider is that the biggest hurdle for indie devs to get their game out there is publishing and money. Indie devs can't advertise their games well besides word of mouth/Twitter, so it makes sense to be upset that this dev is a subsidiary of a large company like Nexon.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
and this is how the gaming public gets snookered, by not noticing the difference, and also by not giving a damn about the difference. so a big company can direct a team to make an indie-looking game and take up huge space in THAT market all because polygonal characters and art.

"wow this game is really cool and slick and well made"

Deleted member 5809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is about the common sense of indie game devs having to directly compete for an indie game dev award with Nexon, the enormous, multinational, multi billion dollar corporation - something which they do care about and which really looks like an error from the site in question.

Might as well nominate Armored Core 6 for the award as well if these terms don't have a common sense meaning.

GamerJM

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
We need to start using A and AA designations for games more. Dave the diver is a single A game, it's not independent but it wasn't given the scope or budget of a AAA game

On paper this would be the proper solution, but the problem is that budgets and precise team sizes aren't often disclosed so we can't accurately denote games by these metrics.

DeadeyeNull

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 26, 2018
On paper this would be the proper solution, but the problem is that budgets and precise team sizes aren't often disclosed so we can't accurately denote games by these metrics.
Not on exact numbers but we know they weren't paying for performance capture and photorealistic graphics. It can be a determination based on the result not the effort

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
The reason this stuff matters is because it takes away an opportunity of exposure for a genuine indie title.

DeadlyVenom

Apr 3, 2018
There is no real clear definition for indie, but for awards ostensibly about awarding independent development, I think it is important to have some level of standard to avoid big companies involved, IMO.

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
Making actual independent devs compete for an award with a title funded and marketed by a large company is extremely lame. I don't care if you think indie should mean "it's 2D and looks low-budget".
and really it fucking should not. people using words wrong over time and letting the meaning degrade CAN be corrected instead of just passively accepted. and it's not like its the new general use just because you and your friends all have the same wrong impression.

looking like you can't afford to make better does not make you an independently published or developed game.

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
"Indie games" is turning into the same shitshow as JRPG or "indie music". It's a loosely defined style rather than anything else in the eyes of many. You'd expect something with the history of the Golden Joystick awards to put a tiny bit of research into it though.

Yuuuup

MisterSnrub

Mar 10, 2018
Someplace Far Away
It's not an indie and that's okay. I mean it literally isn't. You start to get elastic with the term and it loses meaning

A false indie, low-budget/small team or indie-like is a fine term if you really want to categorise, but really it doesn't matter that much

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
This is a little off-topic and I would make a thread about this if I could because I've thought about it quite a bit in the past but what makes a game indie?

If the main individual(s) haven't been involved in AAA development?
If the team size is less than x?
If the budget is less than x?
If the game is free from a big name publisher?

Another thing I've wondered is, would it be possible for someone like Shigeru Miyamoto to make an indie game if he left Nintendo and started a small studio? Does he have too much experience and too many connections in the games industry to make a "real" indie game?

I know indie just stands for independent but it doesn't feel like that's how we always define it.

One last thing, would HUMANITY be considered an indie game?

View: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1581480/Humanity/

It was published by Tetsuya Mizuguchi's company Enhance Games but developed by tha LTD., an indie studio. Looking at the credits though, Tetsuya Mizuguchi was an executive producer of the game.

"Involved in AAA development" to "Shigeru Miyamoto" is a vast chasm, but yes Miyamoto could make an indie game. Even more, random AAA devs you've never heard of can, have and should make indie games.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
The industry is going to probably need to figure out a lot of new type of vocabulary in lot of ways.

Is Dave the Diver an indie title? Yes and no.
In the spirit of how we as an audience have expectations of an indie title, yes it is definitely an indie title.
In terms of it actually being created by and independent studio? No, it most definitely is not an indie title.

The question then becomes: What matters more? The spirit of how we have defined the "spirit" of an indie title, or how the game was financed and developed? If it is just spirit, then that opens up questions: what counts as "indie spirit"? Is a low budget title made by a big gaming company and/or backed by a major publisher an indie title? Is Song of the Deep, developed by Insomniac Games, an indie title? Is Valiant Hearts, created and backed by Ubisoft, an Indie title?

But what happens, if only the way the game was developed and funded matters? Is Baldur's Gate 3 an indie title? It was developed and published by Larian. Is Witcher 1 an indie title? That too was developed and published by an independent studio, that wasn't big at the time?

These questions are difficult to answer, and betray the fact that the word Independent Game is not something theit can be easily defined. Where do we put the line? What counts? It's an interesting question.