HellofaMouse

Oct 27, 2017
indie is quickly becoming a meaningless term. they should just categories games by their budget at this point, though im sure same thing would happen there too.

bitcloudrzr

May 31, 2018
Kena and Cuphead also received a huge amount of money from Sony and Microsoft respectively and still counted as indie games

Hell, by some definitions Baldur's Gate 3 would be considered an indie =P

It's as much of an indie game as if EA would give a small-ish studio the funds to make a game.

Because it is, just like Cyberpunk. Those games are made and published by the same studio without involvement of a big publisher. Mintrocket is part of Nexon, so it's by definition not an indiestudio.
Indies can have AAA budgets.

OP
OP
Aquova

Aquova

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Kansas
It's the same to me as saying that Sonic Mania would be an indie title. Yes, it has that indie "vibe" and is made by a small studio of people not affiliated with the larger conglomerate, but I don't think anyone would call it an indie game.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Indie games" is turning into the same shitshow as JRPG or "indie music". It's a loosely defined style rather than anything else in the eyes of many. You'd expect something with the history of the Golden Joystick awards to put a tiny bit of research into it though.
"Is turning into"? When has it ever not been this way?

GrayMage

May 2, 2022
They have a publisher.

They are not indie by definition.
Every game has a publisher. Some games the publisher is another company and some it's the same company that developed the game. If you mean they aren't indie because they themselves aren't publishing it, is Fortnite indie? Or cyberpunk?

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
That sucks. Indie should mean at least some of these things: previously unknown talent or at least relatively unknown, smaller budgets, smaller price point and the arguably only one that matters, no publisher.

But at the same time I'm not gonna begrudge someone calling Dave the Diver an indie if they don't know the publisher because it's also just a feeling kinda thing when describing games. It might not be an indie but it very much looks like one and from what others have described of it, feels and plays like one.

diondiondion

Apr 2, 2020
Isn't it fair to say that the term has two valid meanings by now? The original one is about the funding and the independent status of the developer, and the other one's more casual and superficial and more focused on the vibes of the game ("if it looks like an indie game, it's an indie game"). You can disagree about the validity of the latter definition, but in practice the term is widely being used that way, so you can disagree all you want, but that's how language evolves.

The fact that there's two definitions also doesn't make the term meaningless as some here have stated. It's just more broadly defined now than the original definition that basically required industry knowledge to be able to properly categorise a game.

Roboraptor

Jul 6, 2023
Germany 🇩🇪
For me, to be considered Indie there are two steps:

1. Are the developers also the publisher of the game?

2. If yes, is that publisher big enough to have multiple full-sized studios under them?

If the answer to the second question is also yes, you're not Indie to me anymore.

Nilson

Nov 5, 2017
Edit: Also, while I did use them as examples above, I wouldn't consider Undertale, Doki Doki Literature Club! or Return of the Obra Dinn indie titles anymore either. We can just as easily replace them with some games I recently played on itch.io: Terminal 64, Resonance of the Ocean, and Flesh, Blood & Concrete.
I have no stake in this game but what lol

I'd make the claim that there's a major difference between indie games and small games. Indie games nowadays have stuff like marketing budgets and play testing staff. Small games make up 95% of what's on itch.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
"Is turning into"? When has it ever not been this way?
True but from my experience, it used to be more ignorance and then you corrected it without discussion. Today, there is a debate about what the term "indie game" means. Some people genuinely think that Dave the Diver is an indie game even after you put all the cards on the table.

Extra Sauce

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I feel like it's generally known that indie can refer to a lot of things, like the team size of a game, or just the vibe of it. I'm not too fussed about it tbh

I think it's more about how giving "indie" mentions to non-indie titles is taking away something from the indie scene and handing it over to the AAA industry, which is unnecessary to say the very least.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Isn't it fair to say that the term has two valid meanings by now? The original one is about the funding and the independent status of the developer, and the other one's more casual and superficial and more focused on the vibes of the game ("if it looks like an indie game, it's an indie game"). You can disagree about the validity of the latter definition, but in practice the term is widely being used that way, so you can disagree all you want, but that's how language evolves.

The fact that there's two definitions also doesn't make the term meaningless as some here have stated. It's just more broadly defined now than the original definition that basically required industry knowledge to be able to properly categorise a game.

Yeah while a broad label I think it still has useful application. To the extent that people tend to have an idea in their minds of what an "indie game" is, it will still be popularly used even if it doesn't fit the term on a more literal level (much like JRPG, not to start up that whole debate :P).

Where it gets dicier is when it comes time to credit the studios making these games, because an "indie-style" game made by a prominent studio and released by a major publisher being lumped in with something made by a 2-person team and released independently is unfair to the latter. But it's such a wide umbrella that it all gets categorized into the same pile.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is a little off-topic and I would make a thread about this if I could because I've thought about it quite a bit in the past but what makes a game indie?

If the main individual(s) haven't been involved in AAA development?
If the team size is less than x?
If the budget is less than x?
If the game is free from a big name publisher?

Another thing I've wondered is, would it be possible for someone like Shigeru Miyamoto to make an indie game if he left Nintendo and started a small studio? Does he have too much experience and too many connections in the games industry to make a "real" indie game?
I think there are four criteria for a game to be "indie":

1) The development studio must be independently owned, not a part of another studio or publisher
2) Development of the game itself wasn't externally funded by another developer or publisher (or other third party)
3) The studio itself isn't publicly traded
4) The studio hasn't published any games it didn't develop itself

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
True but from my experience, it used to be more ignorance and then you corrected it without discussion. Today, there is a debate about what the term "indie game" means. Some people genuinely think that Dave the Diver is an indie game even after you put all the cards on the table.
I dunno I still feel like that same discussion has always happened. Often contributed to the fact that the strict term "indie" does not matter to most gamers. Sea of Solitude, Unravel, and Fe are all published by EA and are thus not indie. But to a consumer those games are appropriate to place in the same mental bucket as Hades or Hollow Knight. Indie is just synonymous with "small scale game" or "low budget game" or "new retro game" to most people, and as a result "indie" has ended up having new meaning. Kind of like pop music. There's pop as in popular, and then there's actually pop music, a very distinct genre of music. Ed Sheeran is pop music, but it's not pop music.

In other words, I won't hold it against anyone or bother to correct them if they call Dave the Diver an indie game. And I won't feel bad if I call a game indie even though it technically isn't self published.

15SagittaeB

Feb 12, 2022
I think there are four criteria for a game to be "indie":

1) The development studio must be independently owned, not a part of another studio or publisher
2) Development of the game itself wasn't externally funded by another developer or publisher (or other third party)
3) The studio itself isn't publicly traded
4) The studio hasn't published any games it didn't develop itself

"or other third party" seems very vague..
There is crowd funding, public funding, bank loans/credits, which would certainly be considered third party funding. If you are talking super small dev scale there could also be funding from friends and family involved, which might be considered third parties aswell.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
If the credits section takes longer than 5 minutes to get through, it's not an indie game.

Exception can be made for Kikcstarter backers' list.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, I feel like it's generally known that indie can refer to a lot of things, like the team size of a game, or just the vibe of it. I'm not too fussed about it tbh
This is kinda where I'm at. You get too deep into the details, and you'll come out of that hole even more confused/frustrated than you were when you started. LOL

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021
Love how this thread is turning out. Absolute mayhem.

What is crucially missing from this discussion, though, is that this is about an award. Less interesting to discuss what "indie game" means is the question what it means that an indie game gets an award.

What does that award represent? Is it meant to boost visibility of independent studios who struggle to get funding? Is it meant to boost visibility of "quirky" games with unconventional mechanics or stories? Does it come with price money attached?

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Pretty much every high profile indie game has a publisher, and this alone is enough to just disregard the meaning.

If anything, we could have an award for garage games, made by self publishing devs that's not part of a big company.

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
this game aside, some people talk about indies in a way that feels like you have to be some kind of starving artist to be an indie. self made, no external help, no deals etc. what it means to be indie is not the same as it was when your fav band "sold out" when you were 18 20 years ago now. navigating being an indie creator is drastically different than it was that long ago.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Kena and Cuphead also received a huge amount of money from Sony and Microsoft respectively and still counted as indie games

Hell, by some definitions Baldur's Gate 3 would be considered an indie =P

Cuphead was self financed IIRC, like, "we remortgaged our home to fund it" levels of they financed it.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
Indie has an actual definition - it doesn't mean low budget, small team, or any of the "it's a genre" nonsense. It quite literally means "produced independent of any major publisher". Dave the Diver is not that. Baldurs Gate 3 is that. It's really not that hard.

Exposure

Oct 25, 2017
It's kinda funny how the tweet in the OP indirectly gave a definition that would would work pretty decently as far as I can tell ("studio can't be directly owned by a billion dollar+ company in terms of yearly revenue", or just a high enough cutoff to catch all the companies we obviously know aren't indie like Koei Tecmo and what not), yet I've seen some definitions that would mean I can't call games like Ultrakill indie just because they happened to hit a certain level of popularity.

Like, c'mon there's gotta be some lax in your definition or we're going to get in very silly places in what games can't be inside the indie barrier.

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021
I've quoted what they say it represents back on page 1

Yes, and I read that. I guess by their definition they go with "unconventional game":

Definition of the award:

Gamesradar said:
Best Indie Game celebrates independent games from small-to-mid-size developers spanning genres including puzzler, tactical RPG, adventure, shooter or… games that plain defy description. The best indie games unite imagination, style and innovation with inventive, rewarding controls. Or perhaps just a few of things… but reinvigorate your love of gaming.

In any case, my call for refocussing the debate went beyond this particular award but awards in general. And moreover, what do we as consumers wish for an award for indie games should represent?

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
"or other third party" seems very vague..
There is crowd funding, public funding, bank loans/credits, which would certainly be considered third party funding. If you are talking super small dev scale there could also be funding from friends and family involved, which might be considered third parties aswell.
I didn't know how to phrase it. "Other 3rd party" was meant to catch things like being funded by non-gaming companies ("we'll pay you to make a Chex game!") or governments ("we'll pay you to make an army game!"), but not things like banks just giving regular business loans.

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
I think the budget and size of development studio are the main parameters in classifying what is indie and what is not. A game like BG3 doesn't qualify regardless if it's independently published by its studio. Games like Dave the Diver are in what people started referring to as "triple I" I guess, assuming they didn't get a substantial budget from their big publisher?

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
Should just call them "small studio awards". That way it doesn't matter the corporate structure or not, just if you game has a certain size studio or not.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
In any case, my call for refocussing the debate went beyond this particular award but awards in general. And moreover, what do we as consumers wish for an award for indie games should represent?

Well I think the general idea would be to highlight and give attention to games that don't have the benefit of a large team or a large publisher throwing marketing money behind them. To the extent that people would balk at Baldur's Gate 3 getting some "best indie game" award, despite being developed and published by an independent studio, it has to have some stricter parameters. "Small-to-mid-size developer" as in this case is a start but as we've seen, maybe not as specific as it should be.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
It might not be right technically speaking, but I'm not going to bat an eye at anyone for calling something like Grow Home indie.

Oct 25, 2017
OP should include additional context. People are clearly hung up on what indie means. But what does indie mean to the group giving out the awards? Someone posted something about a small-mid sized teams. Seems like basic info is not provided that would have been helpful.

diondiondion

Apr 2, 2020
Indie has an actual definition
There's not much wisdom to be gained from a definition if the way a term is used in practice differs so much from its original definition. You say "it's not so hard", but ask any common gamers about the two games you took as an example, and their answer will most likely be the opposite of your conclusion. And you can say that these people are wrong, but it doesn't change how games are perceived by most as "indie or not" not based on their publisher, but based on their style or scope.

It'd be good if award organisers put out fairly clear cut guidelines as to what they consider indie to allow for fair competition. The one mentioned on page 1 is very fluffy, but at least it's clear they're not going by the traditional definition.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this tweet earlier and was kinda frustrated because now people are suggesting that Dave the Diver and for whatever reason Hi-Fi Rush were falsely marketing their games as "indie", when that was literally never the case:

View: https://x.com/DaveOshry/status/1707925545252708670?s=20

lol, don't blame the devs who make it blatantly obvious they're not "indie" on a gaming award website's category definitions.

It's really fucked up that Dave the Diver is up for that award.

Not only is it not indie, but it's also not good.
The game has 53,359 user reviews on Steam and is sitting at a 97%. You're overwhelmingly in the minority here. lol

Deleted member 5809

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

In my opinion they came up with a completely reasonable representation of an indie game. They've just failed to correctly apply the definition they made up (on top of failing to accurately determine and list the publishers for each game). Small to mid sized studios is a sensible caveat to rule out more over the top behemoth projects like BG3, which are absurdly out of sync with the connotation in many people's heads that indie projects exist on the fringes of the industry. If you've become successful enough to sustainably employ 500 people to work on your AAA funded game then I don't see how you qualify as a group independent of the mainstream any more.