HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This was a thing btw:
ETbMdRJVAAAP3vF.jpg

devilmaycry.fandom.com

Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2

Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2 is a role-playing game for iOS and Android developed by Atlus and Sega. A special collaboration event tied to Devil May Cry 5 was announced on March 4th, 2019, which then ran between March 14 - April 3. Nero, Dante and V could be acquired by players and used...
Bayonetta also showed up and Dante is it Teppen. He still gets "featured" on a regular basis outside of fighting games.
Yep, I love that Bayonetta and Dante are both in an SMT game.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
So how does Raidou's skillset and stats differ from Dante? Ionly ever played the version with Dante. Also, are Raidou's and Dante's cutscenes the same?

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
About the VA in the trailer. Toshiyuki Morikawa did him in the anime, 2 drama CDs and DMC 4 SE and 5. Revoicing US actors has only been done at Capcom Japan for about a decade in case you are curious. He is defualt Dante in Japan. It´s him in the trailer or they got someone who sounds identical.

7threst Both switch places and Dante was in version 2.0 of the game which we got. Raidou was in 3.0. All on the PS2.
latest
latest
raidou0.jpg

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition on the right. That´s a name you all.

Last edited:

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
So... Atlus is now selling as DLC content from the original game?

Fuck them, I'll buy the remaster because the game looks amazing but I think that buying Atlus DLC is the worst thing we can do if we want the company to stop their abusive policies.

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how any of you can be happy about this. Did they remove him from the original game while porting it over just to add him back in as DLC? That sounds awful. Am I missing something?

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
And about the re-licensing costs... Let's be real here, they are selling a Ps2 game here, it's not a remake, it's a remaster (maybe some textures have been improved), so the project will be financially succesful unless it sells really poorly. There's no excuses, it's Atlus and their DLC scam policy.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
I have never played DMC, so I guess I can live without this.

I guess that relicensing the character from Capcom was not cheap unfortunately

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Am I missing something?
Atlus fanbase (and in this case DMC fanbase) seem to be happy spending lots of money on DLC sadly, even if it's cut content. I mean, read the DLC list for any recent Atlus game and you'll see what I'm talking about, they are being insane, to the point of selling a DLC pack that costs the same as a new game... for a full price re-release (P5R).

Imagine if Smash Ultimate sold Cloud, Snake and Ryu as DLC day one because "they need to relicense them". It's just Atlus being bad and fans defending it.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
This may be a port of Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax Chronicle Edition... until it wasn´t BUT DMC still needs to credit Atlus/Kazuma Kaneko in their games to this day as he came up with Dante´s and Virgil´s Devil Triggers from DMC 3 onwards.
EZjCDK_WAAM4TfF.jpg

DMC 5´s cast is an Atlus game, etc. There are no excuses. Just Atlus being Atlus.

Derkon

Oct 25, 2017
Easiest DLC purchase for me. Even better now that he'll have Pierce so I can actually use him.

Akusar

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how many people are gonna regret buying Dante, when he is going to inevitably crit them to death.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense to me, Capcom gotta get paid for their character I suppose.
Capcom can't get paid unless Atlus charges people a DLC fee because Atlus is giving away the base game for free.

Seriously lol

It's been said multiple times in this thread: Dante was not in the first version of Nocturne that was released in Japan, in fact that version didn't have Dante OR Raidou in it.

This isn't relevant in the slightest if Atlus charges for this in the western release.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
$10 is egregious, but it's quite simple: Atlus knows they can get away with it. Dante is hardly essential content, considering he wasn't in the original or final releases of the game... and Atlus fans routinely eat up lackluster overpriced DLC.

Perhaps more importantly, Capcom knows Atlus can get away with it. What was once a semi-equal collaboration in the PS2 days is now incredibly lopsided in Capcom's favor. Devil May Cry is a vastly more popular series than SMT could ever dream of being. Makes sense that Atlus would need to give Capcom an incentive to let them use Dante, especially now that they're owned by Sega.

Last edited:

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Did you all know that Raidou has his own Vergil but he isn´t a brother:
megamitensei.fandom.com

Raido Kuzunoha XIV

Raido Kuzunoha XIV is the alternate version of Raidou Kuzunoha the XIV from another world. Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army: Non-player Character Devil Summoner 2: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. King Abaddon: Non-player Character Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers (3DS): Summoner Race...
SMT lore is as convoluted as the DC canon.

thefryguy

Apr 8, 2019
Fantastic news. With the new piercing ability I'll be able to use him on the final boss instead of switching him out half way

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand how any of you can be happy about this. Did they remove him from the original game while porting it over just to add him back in as DLC? That sounds awful. Am I missing something?
There's 3 versions of Nocturne. The original, the 2nd version with Dante added in with bonus content and the 3rd version which replaced Dante with Raidou.

This remaster is based on the 3rd version with Raidou. The DLC basically adds the 2nd version

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh, I much prefer Raidou. Even if I were a fan $10 for a skin swap is way too deep.

Nice that he has Pierce now, though.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Harada got Akuma in Tekken 7 for free!

Except Bamco holds the patent for Training Mode and charges fighting game developers with a licensing fee to use it. But for Capcom USA, they instead use Akuma to be a guest characters for T7 to pay for the use of Training mode.

There's a trade off with these things. Capcom credits Atlus and Kaneko's design in DMC4, Marvel Infinite and Puzzle Fighter

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
Seriously lol

It's been said multiple times in this thread: Dante was not in the first version of Nocturne that was released in Japan, in fact that version didn't have Dante OR Raidou in it.

I don't get that argument. It'd be like if they made an HD remaster for Persona 4 and made the Golden content DLC "It wasn't in the original so why complain?" They're charging $60 for this shit, eating the licensing costs for Dante is the least they could do.

I don't get that argument. It'd be like if they made an HD remaster for Persona 4 and made the Golden content DLC "It wasn't in the original so why complain?" They're charging $60 for this shit, eating the licensing costs for Dante is the least they could do.
There's significantly less justification for them cutting out content for things that they own outright versus an obvious licensing issue that we're seeing here. $10 is steep for what's effectively a model and voice replacement in the game, but Capcom's gotta get paid somehow.

DyCy

Oct 25, 2017
There's significantly less justification for them cutting out content for things that they own outright versus an obvious licensing issue that we're seeing here. $10 is steep for what's effectively a model and voice replacement in the game, but Capcom's gotta get paid somehow.

Capcom getting paid isn't a problem, but like, the price could have been something like $3. Even fighting games characters don't cost that much even when they are guest characters, and they tend to require much more work than a jrpg character that was developped 15 years ago (voice acting aside).

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
But by the time you get him aren't there only like two bosses left, one of which he can't really deal damage to
There's no way that's the case. I remember he's towards the later part of the game but I had him on my crew for the entire time afterwards because I was such a dmc nut. I remember he was really powerful too.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
There's no way that's the case. I remember he's towards the later part of the game but I had him on my crew for the entire time afterwards because I was such a dmc nut. I remember he was really powerful too.
Yeah, he was powerful and unique and cool, but he didn't have Phys pierce, which meant that the final boss was resistant to his attacks and it made him inneffective.

This was an issue they fixed with Raidou, and what they are now fixing for this version.

And yeah, you did use him, but he was in the Ass end of the Labarynth of Amala, so unless you saved a bunch of bonus bosses until the end of that thing, you had only a few bosses left in the game for him to be used against.

Not saying he wasn't awesome, but that just how it happened.

Now I wanna play the original with Dante hacked into the starting party with the same level curve as the protagonist, that would be fun. You'd get to use him the whole game at that point!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Because Capcom didn't own the Golden content in Persona 4 Golden?

Devil May Cry is a much bigger thing today than it was back when Nocturne originally released.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Lame that it is $10.

Also, Atlus' DT designs for DMC3 sucked then and suck today, but that's a different topic.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
I never got around to playing SMTIII on PS2 but given DLC was not a thing for PS2 titles, presumably, he was already in the title. So this is scummy AF.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah, he was powerful and unique and cool, but he didn't have Phys pierce, which meant that the final boss was resistant to his attacks and it made him inneffective.

This was an issue they fixed with Raidou, and what they are now fixing for this version.

And yeah, you did use him, but he was in the Ass end of the Labarynth of Amala, so unless you saved a bunch of bonus bosses until the end of that thing, you had only a few bosses left in the game for him to be used against.

Not saying he wasn't awesome, but that just how it happened.

Now I wanna play the original with Dante hacked into the starting party with the same level curve as the protagonist, that would be fun. You'd get to use him the whole game at that point!
Yeah IIRC it was Beelzebub and Lucifer... but I'm pulling from 15 yr old memories here (which is half my life ago, fuck).

To reach that stage of the game you'd have to have built a fairly capable team anyway and Dante missing that critical skill was a deal breaker cause all he had mostly was pure damage (I think he might have had one debuff, again 15 yrs ago)

If you got to that stage of the optional dungeon the mandatory end game story bosses were pretty much auto pilot