Manboat

Nov 20, 2017
Sounds like the version being remastered is the Chronicle Edition, which had Raidou instead of Dante, but otherwise much of the same content (and without getting into too much detail, he's meant to be the more useful character for endgame). Adding Dante back in too would likely take extra dev time then, which to me justifies the cost. It's not like they removed features and then resold them to us, the game is a complete experience without him.

Dante is a great choice, but honestly, Raidou is a better fit for the setting, and IMO a better character. I suspect much of the moaning is from people that don't know who he is and/or never played his games. You'll love him, trust me - a tube-wielding demon-summoning detective with a sarcastic talking cat? Basically ERA-bait.

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm that's cool but I'm still hyped for Raidou so maybe If I do another playthrough I'll get Dante down the line.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
FUCK YEAH. Will gladly shell out 10 USD for Dante.

Who am I kidding, I've given Atlus so much money already, I probably would've paid more for Dante if I had to.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like the version being remastered is the Chronicle Edition, which had Raidou instead of Dante, but otherwise much of the same content (and without getting into too much detail, he's meant to be the more useful character for endgame). Adding Dante back in too would likely take extra dev time then, which to me justifies the cost. It's not like they removed features and then resold them to us, the game is a complete experience without him.

Dante is a great choice, but honestly, Raidou is a better fit for the setting, and IMO a better character. I suspect much of the moaning is from people that don't know who he is and/or never played his games. You'll love him, trust me - a tube-wielding demon-summoning detective with a sarcastic talking cat? Basically ERA-bait.

That's a lot of mental gymnastics to justify what is basically a $10 palette swap. Where do you draw the line on when to charge for new content? Should Naughty Dog charge for the Last of us 2 patch they released today because the "extra dev" time justifies the cost? The game is still a complete experience without them.

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand it.

Is this some kind of license issue with Capcom? Or just a shameless cash grab?

Akiller

Oct 25, 2017
It's only 980 yen ($10) it seems.
EfNRL_dXsAACaZu

Oct 27, 2017
Sucks but I get it, they probably had to license it again.

Not sure if I will get it or not. I like Dante's part a lot but at the same time I never played Raidou's version so I might play it instead.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
Im guessing they had to re license the character, makes sense.

Does this game also have Raidou? I cant think of any reason to get Dante if Raidou is in the game unless you really like the design. Trying to get both of them to pull their weight in a max demon team is not gonna happen because of the way leveling works in this game. I even tried using a gameshark to bump up Dante's level to max back when and even then he was subpar.

From a gameplay prespective the dlc is not worth it but at the same time this is the best Dante design so...

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
Lmfaoooo omg...Atlus is fucking crazy. Doesn't Dante suck in this game?

In the original game, Dante was amazing against everything but the final boss of the TDE route, because that boss heavily resisted everything that didn't have pierce.

But it seems he gets pierce this time, so he should be good.

archreaper93

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine being unwilling to pay 70 bucks for what is objectively the best piece of media ever created by humans.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Why do you hate fun?
I don't see it.
I'm going to have a lot of fun with the game in 2 months and a half. And certainly more without Dante.

What I meant is that I'm happy the situation is not reversed. I'd be pissed to have Dante in, and Raidô as paid DLC.

So technically I'm having more fun that people who are gonna pay for a DLC.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
10$ is pretty steep. Will wait for a sale on the dlc and then do a second playthrough.
The version with Dante is the one I played originally anyway.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Lmao at the price of the DLC, especially given the price of the remaster.

I like him, but I'll just play with Raidou instead as I never played that version.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
This game is great and certainly doesn't need an unknown boring character in it.
Glad it's Raidô instead.

I'm sorry for people who will pay, but they're free to do so.

Oct 27, 2017
Never played the game but I intend to do on PS4 when it releases. Reading the thread, I have a question: is it either/or, or can you have both characters (Raidou and Dante) if you buy the DLC?

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
the Xbox version if it does happen will feature Spawn from Soulcalibur 2 lol

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
This game is great and certainly doesn't need an unknown boring character in it.
Glad it's Raidô instead.

I'm sorry for people who will pay, but they're free to do so.

Ah yes Dante that obscure action game character know for being incredibly boring. Wild that you would call Dante unknown in a SMT thread of all places.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking lmao.
That is incredible. I'm sure they'll be working real hard post-launch to get that guy in.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man trying to dunk on someone making an obvious joke is pretty sad.

lucablight

Oct 27, 2017
They have to pay not only to license the character, but to voice all his lines. Yeah $5 would have been the sweet spot, but I'll gladly pay $10 for it.
So what? They have to pay for a lot of other shit in the game as well. Are they not paying employees who have to work on it to get it running on current gen systems? They get remunerated when people buy the game.

Deluxera

Mar 13, 2020
The issue with the OST is far more serious than this meme of Featuring Whoever from the Whatever series.
Shoji Meguro's work on Nocturne is an integral part of the greatness of that game. Squandering his music for no reason is outright disrespectful. It's on the same level as what happened with the Doom Eternal composer a few months ago.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Shoji Meguro's work on Nocturne is an integral part of the greatness of that game. Squandering his music for no reason is outright disrespectful.
To be fair, this is the same thing that people experienced on PS2 (or even emulated) and what most people remember. It's not like they made it worse.

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not gonna pay $10 for what's essentially a character reskin, but I'm glad they found some way to bring him back.

7threst

Oct 25, 2017
Netherlands
Just found out this releases in the spring in the west while Japan gets the game in October already, mew... Was hoping playing this through the dark days of December. Ah well. Will definitely get the Dante DLC too, but will do a Raidou playthrough first

Buzzth

Jan 15, 2018
Japan
I have a feeling they may consider including this DLC in the western release given that it's being released later and SMT is not as prominent a name as Persona is.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
Costly Day One DLC on a remaster. For the most important feature on top. As Atlus as it gets. Let´s see how much all combined will cost as multiple games had pricier DLC packs that the retail price.
The Japanese version has voice acting but there is no way I will play this in English so goodbye Reuben.

residentgrigo

Banned
Oct 30, 2019
Germany
This was a thing btw:
ETbMdRJVAAAP3vF.jpg

devilmaycry.fandom.com

Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2

Shin Megami Tensei: Liberation Dx2 is a role-playing game for iOS and Android developed by Atlus and Sega. A special collaboration event tied to Devil May Cry 5 was announced on March 4th, 2019, which then ran between March 14 - April 3. Nero, Dante and V could be acquired by players and used...
Bayonetta also showed up and Dante is it Teppen. He still gets "featured" on a regular basis outside of fighting games.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Worth pointing out that when the western version of Nocturne released (this was the Maniax version in Japan), Devil May Cry 2 had JUST released, and Dante was in partly as a cross promotion for that, in fact the box says "Dante from Devil May Cry 2". Devil May Cry was not near as much of a thing back then as it is today. Maniax Chronicle was the third version of the game (only released in Japan) that had Raidou instead of Dante.

Having to pay licensing again to have Dante in the remaster makes sense. I think $10 is not a bad price for that, and he is more than a skin swap since he will have voice acting, as well as his own dialogue that's different than Raidou's.