• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gwynn

Mar 2, 2019
I think that's completely fair. I spent money on this, and it has major issues and bugs. I'd love them to just say, yeah, we got it, working on it, might take some time, but we got you.

Yes, of course. It would be a relief alone to know they are working on it. It's also just a bit of an anxiety issue from my side that they haven't really realized this as a big issue yet which could push a potential fix farther away than I would like.
And, I love the game, besides these problem, I would love to continue playing.

View: https://twitter.com/cultofthelamb/status/1559234286972452864

View: https://twitter.com/cultofthelamb/status/1559234291405832192

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
This game so many, serious problems and bugs, like the whole framepacing microfreeze problems that affects literally all Steam Deck user and thousands of PC players and the devs haven't even mentioned that they acknowledged any of them.
Kinda feels like the devs took the money and ran, lol, it's that silent.

And it annoys me so hard.
They have already released 2 patches and the game just released. What silence? They appear to be working hard at it and just because they didn't fix your particular issue doesn't mean they are not working on it.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. Very cute, lots of bugs but nothing game breaking on my X1X.
I encountered things like:
Mines and lumberyards randomly stopped working - fixed by restarting but it kept happening.
Followers giving requests for rituals (like, "Please marry/sacrifice me") but never showing up in the temple so the quests always fail.
I never had more than 6 followers ever show up for a sermon even though I'm sure t saw screenshots and videos with more.
In the "save a follower" rooms in the last dungeon, one enemy in the last wave disappears (or never spawns) so the encounter is unable to complete. This happened every single time and I had to use the escape feature.

I was done with nearly everything by the time I was halfway through the 3rd dungeon so there wasn't much to look forward to and I was rolling in money and resources.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022

Good to hear, but I would rather like them speaking specifically about the most important issues they're working on. But it's a start. Thread in the tech forum from me with videos and feedback after every single patch is open there since release day, of course and it's getting updated from me, but still no real response so far and I hope it's not going past by the flood of threads there.

haxan

Oct 25, 2017
I want to get this really bad, but it sounds like I should hold off until it's a little more polished. How does the Steam Deck version look compared to other platforms? Really tempted to get it there.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
I want to get this really bad, but it sounds like I should hold off until it's a little more polished. How does the Steam Deck version look compared to other platforms? Really tempted to get it there.
You can run it at max on the steam deck. The problem is there are some stutters that need to be ironed out along with some other bugs but the game is still fun. Try out the demo.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
I can't get an octopus. Been fishing for hours on several separate days. I've caught over 50 each of crab, lobster and squid as well.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
You can run it at max on the steam deck. The problem is there are some stutters that need to be ironed out along with some other bugs but the game is still fun. Try out the demo.

Max setting? Sure, unless you're in your hub, or at a main boss, or in a room with many enemies.
And "some stutters" probably the understatement of the year.

Don't buy it, it's completely broken currently for the Deck with constant major framepacing freezes every 5 seconds.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
2 trophies left but both currently bugged on console so I have no choice but to wait for updates now.

Kinda glad in a way as this game has taken over my free time the last few days.

No regrets though!

fenners

Oct 27, 2017
Good to hear, but I would rather like them speaking specifically about the most important issues they're working on. But it's a start. Thread in the tech forum from me with videos and feedback after every single patch is open there since release day, of course and it's getting updated from me, but still no real response so far and I hope it's not going past by the flood of threads there.

You might want to take a step back, breath, give them space. "Every single patch" = two so far, right? Game dev takes time.

Sangral

Powered by Friendship™
Feb 17, 2022
You might want to take a step back, breath, give them space. "Every single patch" = two so far, right? Game dev takes time.

I think I've started playing with 1.0.3. and 1.0.6. just came in.
But again, no fix for this.
But you're right, there is not much else I can do, just wanted to say I did my part with the tech thread.

1.0.6. seems to address some of the other issues I saw here mentioned in some postings, so that's good.

HoodedSoldier

Sep 29, 2018
Max setting? Sure, unless you're in your hub, or at a main boss, or in a room with many enemies.
And "some stutters" probably the understatement of the year.

Don't buy it, it's completely broken currently for the Deck with constant major framepacing freezes every 5 seconds.
They said how does it look not how does it play. lol

Patch Notes Version 1.0.6 + developer response to bugs
OP
OP
Messofanego

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Steam updates

Version 1.0.6

• Reduced save file size
  • Potential fix for followers disappearing
  • Potential fix for structures disappearing
  • Expanded and stabilized ingame bug reporting
  • Twitch Integration fixes
  • Various changes to help prevent missing audio
  • Various changes to help prevent video black screen issue
  • Guarantee a weapon will appear on a miniboss/boss floor
Version 1.0.5

A huge thank you for playing. We are listening to all the feedback and working hard to fix the issues. In this patch we have:
  • Fixed snails not dropping shells
  • Fixed follower quests instantly failing and referencing incorrect followers
  • Twitch integration optimisations
  • Fix to Spider's Nest in Silk's Cradle not dropping when they should
  • Fixed summoner enemies spawning invisible impossible to kill enemies
  • Fixed issues that caused paths to come back after being deleted/replaced
If you've held a sermon or ritual in the temple, for instance, you've probably only ever invited six of your flock. This might seem like a design choice, but the gameplay trailers and players on PC show more followers in the temple at once. The problem with only six people entering the temple is that it can break quests as some require you to perform rituals on specific NPCs which you can't do unless they come to the temple when summoned. The best workaround right now is to marry whoever the quest is for, forcing them to pop by.​
If Reddit and Twitter are anything to go by, and anecdotal first-hand experience, these bugs aren't uncommon. Game crashes, the screen going black when walking into the next room, infinite hearts, and so on - there's a lot, so much so that some players are putting down Cult of the Lamb until fixes are made.​
"The first few hours were absolutely amazing, but the bugs on Switch held back my whole experience before reaching the final boss," Original-Science9370 wrote. "What we want before any new game content is fixes for bugs through patches... I'm putting it on hold before playing on Nightmare difficulty."​
There are exhaustive lists being compiled to try and raise awareness, with the key ones being instant-fail quests, items not showing up when scripted to, enemy spider nests not opening, followers ignoring the Devotion statue, Fervor limit stuck at four, and so on.​

Developer response:
www.theguardian.com

Australian-made videogame tops global charts as players flock to Cult of the Lamb

Melbourne indie game developer Massive Monster’s latest has ‘just blown up’ on first weekend of its release
But the large number of gamers trying the game have uncovered bugs and the Massive Monster team is working to fix them, devoting the next 12 months to updates and new content.​
"There's just so many people playing the game that there's no way you can find some of these bugs that people are finding," Wilton said.​

Pocketfudge

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it last night and my thoughts are……it's fine. I guess I was expecting more but overall it's fine. I found the combat and the town/cult management to be a little too simple for my tastes.

I never found the curses to be that effective and in the end I never really needed to use them or even care about them. The weapons aren't that great or fun to use which is a shame because I was hoping for something a little more Hades-esque.

The only time I used the rituals was because a quest was directing me to or I just needed to buff my faith before entering a dungeon. I wish there was more purpose to it all. And I was halfway through the game and basically unlocked everything so things like loyalty, resources, etc. were meaningless in the end. The game needs more and better progression, imo.

But overall it's ok. Just wish it was better than it is because I like the concept.

Last edited:

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get people who say stuff like "how entitled can you be" or "they own you nothing".
What's wrong with you? Seriously.

I payed for this. This wasn't a free gift or something. They, literally, own me something in the way of a working game that doesn't have such critical issues as framepacing stutters every 3-5 seconds on both of my platforms, Laptop and Steam Deck.

It is literally not my (the customers) problem that they release a game right before weekend and then went off partying, that's not my fault. I get what all of you are saying and in everything is a little bit of truth, but all that still doesn't change the fact that they released a paid game (with the DLC edition pretty high priced even) and that released game is a kinda broken mess in many aspects and mechanics, how is it "entitled" to expect a game to just not have problems like this awful stutter or game breaking game mechanic bugs. I'm not speaking about little things that doesn't matter or small bugs you can live with, these issues like broken quest and constant stutter are kinda serious. And even if they are a small team, is that my problem as customer? Why is this an excuse for releasing a broken game?

All I want is that they at least acknowledge these problems and like a short statement that they will fix them, I'm not expecting them to rush into the studio on Sunday and do something, but it wouldn't hurt to communicate a bit more here. It would also do them a favor.
These are the kind of problems that could have a massive impact on their sales numbers.
You insinuated that they "took the money and run" and "launched the game and went partying".
They're a team of 3 that, I assume, gave their all to make a game that's out there competing with massive studios and scored 85 on metacritic. They probably spent a lot of time away from their loved ones in the last few months. They probably risked some of their life savings as well. They don't have the backup, the logistics, the PR and QA teams that big studios have. And they did communicate on their social media channels, on a weekend no less.
Yes, you payed 25€ for the game, less than you probably pay for a meal. Yes, game crashing bugs are awful and you deserve to have a working game. But please, get some perspective and be respecful of the devs.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get people who say stuff like "how entitled can you be" or "they own you nothing".
What's wrong with you? Seriously.

I payed for this. This wasn't a free gift or something. They, literally, own me something in the way of a working game that doesn't have such critical issues as framepacing stutters every 3-5 seconds on both of my platforms, Laptop and Steam Deck.

It is literally not my (the customers) problem that they release a game right before weekend and then went off partying, that's not my fault. I get what all of you are saying and in everything is a little bit of truth, but all that still doesn't change the fact that they released a paid game (with the DLC edition pretty high priced even) and that released game is a kinda broken mess in many aspects and mechanics, how is it "entitled" to expect a game to just not have problems like this awful stutter or game breaking game mechanic bugs. I'm not speaking about little things that doesn't matter or small bugs you can live with, these issues like broken quest and constant stutter are kinda serious. And even if they are a small team, is that my problem as customer? Why is this an excuse for releasing a broken game?

All I want is that they at least acknowledge these problems and like a short statement that they will fix them, I'm not expecting them to rush into the studio on Sunday and do something, but it wouldn't hurt to communicate a bit more here. It would also do them a favor.
These are the kind of problems that could have a massive impact on their sales numbers.
You made the choice to buy it on release. If you get this angry when a game is not working as expected then don't buy it and wait for a patch.

This is not the first or last game that will launch like this. Next time don't buy it on release.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
They should really make the fervour orbs come to you more reliably than they do. It's frustrating being in a boss fight and there are mounds of fervour everywhere sitting around but only a few of them actually home in on you. It can make a big difference in a fight if you aren't getting your curses reliably because of it. Really no reason the fervour can't just immediately all come to you like most other games that have energy orbs like this.

carlsojo

Shinra Employee
Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
They should really make the fervour orbs come to you more reliably than they do. It's frustrating being in a boss fight and there are mounds of fervour everywhere sitting around but only a few of them actually home in on you. It can make a big difference in a fight if you aren't getting your curses reliably because of it. Really no reason the fervour can't just immediately all come to you like most other games that have energy orbs like this.

For what it's worth you can get a demon to go grab them for you.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I'm massively confused. I can't do anything except this quest with a. Remaining step "perform a ritual". But the problem is, the 2 I have are in cool down. How long do these take to cool down? I spent 2 days without it cooled down and there's not much to do between? I can't even go into the fighting portion of the game.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I got the bug two times in a row with invisible and invincible enemies in the third area. Super disappointing and it kind of burned me out on the game.

The repetitive nature sets in pretty fast in a bad way.

Unsure if I'll complete it but it's still worth playing IMO even without completing it. Fantastic art, wonderful use of audio both in dialogue and music , and every system for the most part functions in an engaging way for the player not just the combat.

Definitely a studio to keep your eye on.

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Dissenter: what am I doing wrong ? I put them in prison and re-educate once a day. I got it down to a tiny red sliver and then did it one more time to get the bar completely empty but letting him go he just spouts more dissent and his eyes are still red. Bug or am I missing something?

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Surprised there's no upgrade for the cooking. Would've been cool if there were a Kitchen where you can set it so that certain followers will cook meals for everyone rather than you having to always go and do it manually.

For what it's worth you can get a demon to go grab them for you.

Yeah I know, but the fervour seems bugged half the time even with the demon. And there are better demons anyways so it feels like a waste to use that one for something that should just work properly anyways.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Surprised there's no upgrade for the cooking. Would've been cool if there were a Kitchen where you can set it so that certain followers will cook meals for everyone rather than you having to always go and do it manually.

I was really surprised this wasn't a thing too. Def something I'm expecting them to add at a later date.

Pocketfudge

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dissenter: what am I doing wrong ? I put them in prison and re-educate once a day. I got it down to a tiny red sliver and then did it one more time to get the bar completely empty but letting him go he just spouts more dissent and his eyes are still red. Bug or am I missing something?

you need to do it one more time. The bar may look like it's empty but it's not. It officially clears when you see a green check mark

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly if you have a cook there's essentially nothing left to do at all at the late late late game.

Yeah, that's true. That said, I do think getting a more or less fully autonomous cult going by the end game could be very satisfying if the cult management aspect of the game was (considerably) harder before that.

Nov 6, 2017
Is anyone playing the game on ps4 and not getting any updates ?
When I check the update history on the console's dashboard it says I'm playing the 1.03 version, but when I pause the game, 1.01 is displayed.
I'm constantly checking for new updates, but nothing, and it's driving me nuts, because I feel I'm missing out on Qol features.
Oh, and trophies won't sync, not game breaking, but kinda annoying.

I tried to delete the game, download it again and nothing. I restored the licenses, nothing.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I'm massively confused. I can't do anything except this quest with a. Remaining step "perform a ritual". But the problem is, the 2 I have are in cool down. How long do these take to cool down? I spent 2 days without it cooled down and there's not much to do between? I can't even go into the fighting portion of the game.
Had the same problem last night. Had to just ride it out, which took several days.

I hope this was a bug, because it was the most annoying thing I have come across so far. Been really enjoying it, but this made the whole thing just grind to a halt.

GetLuffy

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 19, 2022
Am I doing the farming stuff wrong? I have the barn and the seed silos and some plots growning but it keeps telling me there is no task available even when plants show they need to be watered.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Had the same problem last night. Had to just ride it out, which took several days.

I hope this was a bug, because it was the most annoying thing I have come across so far. Been really enjoying it, but this made the whole thing just grind to a halt.

I hope it's a bug too. It's kind of obnoxious and already feel like giving up. If it takes a day or 2 more fine, I'll wait. Just feels silly.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Am I doing the farming stuff wrong? I have the barn and the seed silos and some plots growning but it keeps telling me there is no task available even when plants show they need to be watered.

Make sure the plots are within reach of the farm. There is an outline around the farm when you place it that shows how many plots it can cover. Followers won't pick crops until you build the level 2 farm.

Exile20

Oct 25, 2017
I am putting this down until patches come. Had two separate bugs that made me restart the dungeons. Great game tho, has me hooked.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
can you move shit you've already put down?

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Released last week. Demo released back during the last steam demo promotion thingy.
Untitled.png

Oh well it's new to me liking the demo very much

Rexskel

Aug 27, 2021
Ok so, I was fishing and got a plan for it, but it's completely bugged and won't let me collect it, plus it breaks my ability to pull up the menu until you leave the area. It happened TWICE in a row. Did it happen to anyone else?

I really like the game but geez these bugs really suck.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
Another day, no trees to cut down for lumbar to do my ritual thts still in cool down.

What the hell? And now one of my followers is dissenting. Is this meant to be painful? The progression is taking me some time. I'm already turned the hell off.