• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
I've actually been avoiding dev previews and Twitch streams.

I've browsed some screenshots and looked at maybe less than 10 mins of videos just to get a sense of the new interface & presentation.

All the rest I want to experience for myself with fresh virgin eyes.

Can't believe it's been 8 years between releases.

Reviews Start Here

Bjorn

Feb 11, 2018
Denmark
Reviews are coming in now:
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Crusader Kings 3 review

I think I'll need another year of playing Crusader Kings 3 to work out exactly how good it is, but that's another way o…
www.ign.com

Crusader Kings 3 Review - IGN

Long live the new king of historical strategy.
Can't believe it's been 8 years between releases.
At one point I thought they were going to turn CKII into a G(S)aaS experience.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017

For all intents and purposes, CK2, HoiIV, Stellaris, and EUIV are a kind of GaaS games. It is just more (CK2) or less (HoiIV) DLC releases instead of Battlepasses and Seasons. And that is why those games are still relevant today.
Those Paradox (and published) games who don't receive yearly (or more) DLC's are dead (Victoria, WHY???) Although there is the question if it is a hen or egg problem.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Reviews are coming in now:
www.rockpapershotgun.com

Crusader Kings 3 review

I think I'll need another year of playing Crusader Kings 3 to work out exactly how good it is, but that's another way o…
www.ign.com

CK2 lasted from June 2012 to November 2018. Thats 6 years, more than a ton of other GAAS.

For all intents and purposes, CK2, HoiIV, Stellaris, and EUIV are a kind of GaaS games. It is just more (CK2) or less (HoiIV) DLC releases instead of Battlepasses and Seasons. And that is why those games are still relevant today.
Those Paradox (and published) games who don't receive yearly (or more) DLC's are dead (Victoria, WHY???) Although there is the question if it is a hen or egg problem.
Victoria was the last of its kind (and engine). It was not designed like CK2 or EU4.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I was a little iffy with the late embargo on actual opinions, but looking at those reviews and listening to the streamers, people are legitimately kind of blown away by it. All great news. I think this one really has the opportunity to break through to the mainstream more than older Paradox games.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno about dedicated paradox streamers but I'm watching Spiffing Brit on YouTube.

I stumbled across him a few weeks ago and find him very entertaining so hopefully he doesn't become a milkshake duck. Anyway his little CK3 divorce scheme to earn money video made me want the game even more.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
What is everybody gonna play first ?

Im going for uniting ireland since its my noob-isle home from ck2.

Then after i get my bearing gonna try to rebuild the roman empire from its ashes.

Any good streamers you can recommend for Paradox content? I only ever watched quill18 and Arumba back in the day.
Quill still streams and makes yt stuff and is generaly fun to watch.

Dont know about Arumba, quit watching his stuff after that "jewland" ck2 thing.

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
www.ign.com

What's interesting about IGN 's 10/10 review is Hafer says they have thousands of hours logged into CK2. So that sounds like the appraisal is coming from someone who is a decided expert on the franchise.

It will also be curious to see opinions from those who are experiencing the series for the first time with CK3, but I'm personally more interested to hear from those who already knew their stuff inside and out before this latest release.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Another review for the pile!

wccftech.com

Crusader Kings III Review – Game of Endless Thrones

Can Crusader Kings III the strategy series to a new, wider audience or will its attempts to reach out alienate existing fans? Find out in our full review!

Great game! Much more accessible than in the past, and improves the stuff that makes the series unique (plotting, managing your dynasty), simplifies the stuff that doesn't (war), and adds some fun new roleplaying elements.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Darn, was hoping it would be a little earlier in the day as I took the day off specifically to play the game (and it's been a long time since I took a day off just to play a game).
Paradox games and dlc pretty much always releases at that timeslot.
Was very fun on the day a ck2 dlc and stellaris and a hoi update released at the same time.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
So should I go for the 30€ Base game or 50€ Royal Edition?
Royal Edition will contain some future DLC (the first major and the first 2 minor DLCs?) so it depends whether or not you think you will keep on playing it. Its on Gamepass at launch, so you can try the game there if you have it.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
I created a co-op video where I tried playing with a friend who is a hardcore veteran of Paradox titles.

I'm completely new to the genre, so my first impressions were that they really put in a TON of work to help brand new players.

The UI is clean, clear and always helpful in not just pointing out when something is bad, but WHY it's bad and how to address the situation. Loving it so far.

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Goodness these reviews....despite having a few hundred hours in CK2 and EUIV I vowed never to get a PDX game on release after the car crash that was Imperator: Rome.

giphy.gif

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Multiplayer looks loads better in this so far, none of the jank CK2 had at least from watching streams. Just curious to see if the game can let people reconnect.

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
Wow at that IGN review. What a closing line:

In fact, if I had to pick only one game to play for the rest of my life, the decision wouldn't be that difficult. A new king of historical strategy has been crowned. Long live the king.

In terms of its appeal to new players: I've been gaming for 45 years. I've never played a CK game. I've never played a grand strategy game. Yet after watching every dev video, and especially the amazing, hysterical 'Iberian Intrigue' series, I'm building a PC primarily to play this (and Flight Sim 2020 of course).

I'd say CK3 has cross-over appeal.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
When do Windows (aka Gamepass) Store games unlock? Will it be midnight Eastern time? Midnight local time?

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
I mean, isn't it rough to reject a developer for one turd when they have so many gems (and single handedly carried the grand rts genre)? :)

To be fair...it was kind of the last straw. I thought that both HOI IV and Stellaris were dud's as well on release day. Not to the extent of Imperator but I personally don't think they have had a properly solid launch day game since EUIV.

Ikuu

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's on Gamepass so you could always use the trial/one month of that to check it out.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, if it's that good on release, imagine with multiple expansions in a couple of years

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
To be fair...it was kind of the last straw. I thought that both HOI IV and Stellaris were dud's as well on release day. Not to the extent of Imperator but I personally don't think they have had a properly solid launch day game since EUIV.

Yeah, I bought every Paradox main release since Hoi2, the release versions were always janky. I love paradox Games.

BUT

Imperator Rome was the straw that broke the camels back. I will buy CK3 in a few months, or with the first major expansion. I can be sure that most issues are resolved by then.

Dec 3, 2018
Two key questions for me:

1) What are the chances that my new Macbook Air runs this AT ALL at well below Steam specs? i5 8GB RAM 1.5GB Intel graphics card. Has this been tested anywhere? I remember Paradox has overestimated their minimums in the past

2) Relatedly, any news on day 1 Geforce Now or a timeline for Geforce Now?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to try this game out on PC GamePass. I only have my work laptop. It's pretty decent, but it only has integrated graphics. I'm not very good with system specs, does anyone know if this laptop will run this game halfway decently?