• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
So... they weren't joking about the ableism

I don't know if I should laugh that the NPC stands up and runs away but... That's a fucking bad look for the game

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
Going stealth in this game (with the current state of the enemy AI) is an exercise in patience. In the most worst possible way.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 7 hours in and man and with every passing moment the hype for this game just seems more absurd. Like you'd think after a couple of delays they would pump the brakes on the marketing. At least try to lower expectations a little but nope, full steam ahead this is the best game ever made it'll buy your mum a new house, cure cancer etc.

Like, I'm having fun, but the game feels unfinished no matter what settings I use, visual glitches and bugs everywhere. Honestly pretty stunned the studio who did Witcher 3 made this.

The tone of the narrative and missions so far also absolutely does not match the marketing, and the ads everywhere do just feel juvenile. Nothing (literally nothing) would've been lost if the ads were toned down. Anyway slightly off-topic I guess just thought I'd give my thoughts.

If anyone who hasn't/doesn't want to buy the game has specific questions please feel free to ask.

Master_Funk

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched any streams of this game from twitch streamers , other briefly looking at the Negaoryx stream on the launch day (LGBTQIA streamer), where she spent way too long trying to defend playing this game on stream in response to the transphopbia accusations, and framing it as a learning experience for people watching so that she can call out any missteps that occur . Obviously worth mentioning she is in the game as an advertisement.

I don't buy that line of reasoning at all. As an openly queer streamer, a significant amount of her audience may be directly affected by the transphobia, and they certainly don't need to see it time and time again in this game.

Nov 4, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that there isn't mode backlash over the performance in the console versions. Like, I get that the more toxic contingent of the fandom gets a free antialiasing effect caused by their incel tears blurring their vision. However, just watching the videos of PS4/XboneS gameplay makes me motion sick. I'd be outraged over paying $60 to be in a beta test.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm honestly surprised that there isn't mode backlash over the performance in the console versions. Like, I get that the more toxic contingent of the fandom gets a free antialiasing effect caused by their incel tears blurring their vision. However, just watching the videos of PS4/XboneS gameplay makes me motion sick. I'd be outraged over paying $60 to be in a beta test.

I'm guessing it'll take a day or two for the reality to settle in? Steam reviews are pretty middling currently at least, 74% positive and I'm sure plenty of the positive ones are borderline memes, in response to the growing negative reception, straight up in denial etc.

I'm fighting the urge to check the subreddit. I got my year's share of extreme reddit negativity/hostility/"HIVEMIND SHIT" when I kept checking the Black Ops Cold War subreddit when that game came out, but dang if I'm not curious to see how the narrative evolves around CP2077 over the weekend.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
I'm like 7 hours in and man and with every passing moment the hype for this game just seems more absurd. Like you'd think after a couple of delays they would pump the brakes on the marketing. At least try to lower expectations a little but nope, full steam ahead this is the best game ever made it'll buy your mum a new house, cure cancer etc.

Like, I'm having fun, but the game feels unfinished no matter what settings I use, visual glitches and bugs everywhere. Honestly pretty stunned the studio who did Witcher 3 made this.

The tone of the narrative and missions so far also absolutely does not match the marketing, and the ads everywhere do just feel juvenile. Nothing (literally nothing) would've been lost if the ads were toned down. Anyway slightly off-topic I guess just thought I'd give my thoughts.

If anyone who hasn't/doesn't want to buy the game has specific questions please feel free to ask.
Hype is an addictive drug. People want to be excited at all costs and view these kinds of games as a moment of history that they'll miss out on otherwise.

CDPR played right into this. It's insane how much you can get away with by just polishing a turd to look as appealing as possible, convincing people that a product is amazing just because they made it look really good in one very specific angle.

João

Nov 21, 2020
They really went hard on that manticore advertisement, besides seeing it everywhere there's also a guy on tv promoting it (in missions and free roam enviroments) and it loops. Shame.

Oct 27, 2017
I figured the game would be like Bioshock Infinite in many ways—beautiful art design but a lot of narrative and gameplay compromises to shove it out the door after a troubled development—so consider me surprised at how negative a lot of the reactions are. It sounds like an absolute technical mess, a crummy RPG, a generic open world game, and something that isn't very fun to play. Time for gamers to rise up, I guess?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I have to be honest, I think the game is actually pretty fun. I've not played a lot, but I am enjoying it from a mechanical perspective.

EDIT: not the thread for this at all, will keep it out in future.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
So... they weren't joking about the ableism

I don't know if I should laugh that the NPC stands up and runs away but... That's a fucking bad look for the game

Haha! Wow. Though I remember being able to do the same thing to a scientist in Half Life 1 who had broken his leg or something and said he couldn't move. Pull a gun on him and shoot nearby and he's magically all better. I guess they just assign the same default "panic" reactions to all NPCs. Shame they didn't put more time into AI packages like that.

I know exactly where this location is too - it's an amazing stress test point. Probably the most intensive area in the game I've found so far. I kept walking around it trying out different settings to pull my framerate out of the 30s here, and noticed that the wheelchair had a completely different guy in it every time I walked past =P
I have to be honest, I think the game is actually pretty fun. I've not played a lot, but I am enjoying it from a mechanical perspective.
Oh, for sure. Mechanically it's a lot of fun, and the scale and density of the world is incredible. But it's also so insanely awful with how it handles ad boards that I can't bring myself to play it if I'm not home alone. It's just indefensibly transphobic and sexist, and from what I've played so far has made no attempt to create any discussion about it. You could literally change all the ads to non-sexual images, and nothing would be lost, because as much as they claimed it's important to the world building... it's really not. They did nothing with it. The ads are just there to provoke, titillate, and shock for the sake of it. It's never factored into any quest or discussion or personality trait of the characters I've interacted with even once so far.

As soon as a mod appears to change the ads, I'm installing it. And the game will be so much better for it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Haha! Wow. Though I remember being able to do the same thing to a scientist in Half Life 1 who had broken his leg or something and said he couldn't move. Pull a gun on him and shoot nearby and he's magically all better. I guess they just assign the same default "panic" reactions to all NPCs. Shame they didn't put more time into AI packages like that.
Yep my thought too. There goes the immersion lol

Tbh the fact that it respawns immediately is also quite bad for a game that prides to be super advanced in NPC and AI

Well a 7/10 or even 6/10 game can still be pretty fun, no question - the mindset that a 8/10 is "decent" is bullshit

I found The Witcher quite boring on a mechanical level and repackaging it as a Deus Ex clone makes it more palatable for the masses (I wish I could say that I have a lot of fun with western RPGs... but I don't)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yep my thought too. There goes the immersion lol

Tbh the fact that it respawns immediately is also quite bad for a game that prides to be super advanced in NPC and AI

Well a 7/10 or even 6/10 game can still be pretty fun, no question - the mindset that a 8/10 is "decent" is bullshit
Of course, so far I'm a little baffled by the 90 MC, but don't think it is a bad game mechanically.

The performance, the writing, storytelling (so far, at least), and the issues this thread highlights all drag it down quite a bit though. This is definitely not what they hyped.

RedShift_

Jul 24, 2018

I know exactly where this location is too - it's an amazing stress test point. Probably the most intensive area in the game I've found so far. I kept walking around it trying out different settings to pull my framerate out of the 30s here, and noticed that the wheelchair had a completely different guy in it every time I walked past =P

Oh, for sure. Mechanically it's a lot of fun, and the scale and density of the world is incredible. But it's also so insanely awful with how it handles ad boards that I can't bring myself to play it if I'm not home alone. It's just indefensibly transphobic and sexist, and from what I've played so far has made no attempt to create any discussion about it. You could literally change all the ads to non-sexual images, and nothing would be lost, because as much as they claimed it's important to the world building... it's really not. They did nothing with it. The ads are just there to provoke, titillate, and shock for the sake of it. It's never factored into any quest or discussion or personality trait of the characters I've interacted with even once so far.

As soon as a mod appears to change the ads, I'm installing it. And the game will be so much better for it.
Even if such a mod were to appear, you'd still need to give your money to CDPR to play the game, though.

Which means it wouldn't solve the issue for the people who are actively boycotting the game because of the transphobic imagery (I think in this thread only yuoke and themuzzotheory are left)

I am finding it enjoyable, though not revolutionary at all. It's still an old gen open world game with next-gen graphics and effects, and nothing more. Enemy AI is especially bad and NPCs are still mostly "one line of dialogue" dummies.

Last edited:

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Even if such a mod were to appear, you'd still need to give your money to CDPR to play the game, though.

Which means it wouldn't solve the issue for the people who are actively boycotting the game because of the transphobic imagery (I think in this thread only yuoke and themuzzotheory are left)
Yep, definitely. I'm not saying it solves the issue. I'm saying the fact that you could mod the ads out of the game entirely and not create an issue where the story or characters are now referencing things that you've modded out goes to show how baseless CDPR's claims that they're important for world building are.

xyla

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
So turns out I was looking for bad optimization when I'm the one who didn't have his settings straight. XMP deactivated in my UEFI for some reason and it's time to try the CPU Boost mode.

This is basically my second modern open world game since MGSV (the other one being BotW). From a gameplay perspective it's pretty cool, the Stealth system is kinda busted since alert states carry over in save games it feels like? Some mandatory key bindings make little sense to me - why does Inventory have to be on "i"? Why can't rebind it? Why does "m" bring the map up but doesn't close it? Even this stuff feels undercooked.

All that being said, I feel like I would be able to enjoy the game a lot more if it didn't feel like it was written by a bunch of 15 year old kids in the mid 90s/early00s. There's been a few interesting and even touching moments so far overshadowed by characters that are written way too edgy just for the sake of it. And there's misogyny left and right if you keep an eye out for that kind of thing. Some of the flavor lore texts that are out there don't read subtle when it comes to that.

The transphobia is well documented at this point and I don't think I've encountered more where I am in the game but it would have been so easy to avoid altogether. Even worse, the world and the lore could offer a fascinating perspective on a truly inclusive future that is fucked because of corporations. This setting was just in the wrong hands for that.

Most memorable moment so far was
a Cyberpsycho (that name) who stole medication and planned to assassinate a politician. I talked him out of the attempt and he gave up the medicine, his purpose crushed, asking me to leave him alone. When I went out I could hear a gunshot and when I went back he had committed suicide.
It flowed well and kinda affected me because I didn't expect that ending. But even then, his struggle was undercut by the "badass" way Vs dialogue had to be written and the way this whole interaction was framed from the get got didn't sit quite right when it comes to the portrayal of psychological trauma. It felt like tone deaf late 90s/early 00s blockbuster material. But maybe that's me expecting too much out of a 5 minute side quest.

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
Apart from the trans issues, the game is also kinda.... bad regarding other minorities.
Since I am more invested in Asia due to my life circumstances its like almost every Asian in this game is a walking stereotype.

There is this woman on market with the typical Vietnamese farmer hat, speaking heavily accented in broken english like "I not know where woman is" and the only option you can ask her is if the Sashimi is fresh.
Then in a another sidequest from Regina she is telling how Kabuki was built by the Japanese but the Chinese live there now and its now "old and rusty".

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I am finding it enjoyable, though not revolutionary at all. It's still an old gen open world game with next-gen graphics and effects, and nothing more. Enemy AI is especially bad and NPCs are still mostly "one line of dialogue" dummies.
Yeh, all of this exists. Shit AI, terrible UI with poor readability, bog standard open world format, low quality side quest dialogue, mindless NPCs, etc... but then I have found quite a few technically lacking games to elevate beyond the sum of their parts because something about how it all clicks together just works for me.

If this game had wonderful representation and no major similar problems, I could probably ignore most of the technical stuff. I can understand how people who don't give a shit about the issues could consider this a good game.

And considering the ridiculous HYPE, the savvy "relatable" meme style PR, the slimy way they hid console performance behind PC, the calculated way they dismissed concerns surrounding the transphobia and representation issues, and the fact that so many people (even people on the left who would profess to be allies) have a huge fucking blind spot when it comes to trans rights and conversations about gender identity... I think I can understand how the reviews played out as they did.

What I can't understand, at least with what i have played so far, is how this game could, in any way, be described as some kind of genius epitome of the medium.

All I can imagine is the hype really did it's job.

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing the shift from extreme hype to extreme disappointment on the game's subreddit has been glorious. It's an absolute shame that CDPR already made out like bandits with launch sales, but there's no way this doesn't permanently tarnish their reputation. Feels like it's at least somewhat of a comeuppance for their awful behavior.

Also really cool to see the mods shut down the OT for today. Screw 2077.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure where to ask this considering the OT is gone, but I'm playing with controller on PC and it feels absolutely shit. Cars are twitchy and it's all very floaty, anyone have a config they like?
This isn't the thread for questions like this, Praxis. You can ask people in the PC gaming thread though, they are discussing stiff like this there!

Oct 27, 2017

this is where I'm at. I honestly couldn't tell you the game was transphobic but I'll defer to people here who know more than I do but holy shit the number of dicks drawn on things, dildoes I've picked up, and MILF ads I've seen on billboards is ridiculous. I understand the VR sex club thing because I've seen that in other scifi stuff but the rest of this shit adds nothing and literally makes It feel like the game was made by 10 year olds.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
Seeing the shift from extreme hype to extreme disappointment on the game's subreddit has been glorious. It's an absolute shame that CDPR already made out like bandits with launch sales, but there's no way this doesn't permanently tarnish their reputation. Feels like it's at least somewhat of a comeuppance for their awful behavior.

Wow, you weren't lying. Can't feel too bad for all the flak they're getting, since they actively cultivated this audience. Reap what you sow and all that.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

Usually I wouldn't hold out much hope here, gamers are fickle and easily appeased with apologies and patches fixing stuff.

The outright failure that the game is on consoles, and the incredibly scummy way they hid this to garner sales, is an outright denial of their precious reputation though.

I don't see how they keep that intact with anyone but hardcore fans and the bigoted chuds who will get off on the success for other reasons.

I would also love their shit bigotry and dismissals to come to light more as that ridiculous HYPE is slowly eroded... but I obviously have a bit less hope here...

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
Usually I wouldn't hold out much hope here, gamers are fickle and easily appeased with apologies and patches fixing stuff.

The outright failure that the game is on consoles, and the incredibly scummy way they hid this to garner sales, is an outright denial of their precious reputation though.

I don't see how they keep that intact with anyone but hardcore fans and the bigoted chuds who will get off on the success for other reasons.

I would also love their shit bigotry and dismissals to come to light more as that ridiculous HYPE is slowly eroded... but I obviously have a bit less hope here...
The thing is I don't know if they can fix the technical issues anytime soon, their poor devs have been in brutal crunch mode for a long time and gotten delay after delay, can they really keep them still working and get good work out of them when they must be at their limits?

-Le Monde-

Avenger
Dec 8, 2017
A day after release, and can't seem to find any console reviews. Did cdpr kidnap their family members?

Can't think of any other big aaa tittle not having a console review a day after release. 😬

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

Yep, it's good to see. I think a lot of gamers dismissed the sexism and transphobia concerns because their desire for a futuristic GTA was more important to them. But now that they've played the game and realized this is how bad its systems are:

Only CDPR's most ardent defenders are praising it as a phenomenal game now.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Seeing the shift from extreme hype to extreme disappointment on the game's subreddit has been glorious.

I had to take a peek despite my earlier comment and yeah, wow, it looks like the backlash has started already. Thought it would have taken a bit longer. Nice to see pushback against toxic fanboys too and not just the game/CDPR itself, seeing a lot of popular threads along the lines of "shut up, it's fine to be disappointed with the game".

Good way to temper my own interest for now, too. There's a lot of solid points raised that make the game sound pretty mediocre all in all.

Apparently the game blocks popular scripting software, making it unplayable for people that need them for accessibility.

Autohotkey and joy2key are widely used by abled people too, seems like a stupid thing to block.

Add it to the ever growing pile of stupid things CDPR has done, I guess.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The thing is I don't know if they can fix the technical issues anytime soon, their poor devs have been in brutal crunch mode for a long time and gotten delay after delay, can they really keep them still working and get good work out of them when they must be at their limits?
That's my point.

I think they can fix PC mostly, as the issues there are far less overt, but consoles feel like a lost cause and their deception about the platform is not going to be forgiven without a fix.

I don't see how their rep doesn't take a big long term hit.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017

Gamers are always shit, so I don't expect much from them but I expected better from media (though I probably shouldn't) and seeing all the praise and 90+ scores for such a buggy, broken mess full of an endless cavalcade of representation issues is really disappointing.

As for an actual question about the game, from what you have played, how much actual cyberpunk have you seen in the story outside of the very flimsy set dressing? Are they making any statement at all? Seeing it mentioned above that you actually take quests from cops at one point makes it seem that not only did they miss the mark, they aren't even in the same field.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
That's my point.

I think they can fix PC mostly, as the issues there are far less overt, but consoles feel like a lost cause and their deception about the platform is not going to be forgiven without a fix.

I don't see how their rep doesn't take a big long term hit.
Sorry for some reason my brain skipped right over the first word "usually" on your post, :p

Nov 4, 2017
I'm guessing it'll take a day or two for the reality to settle in? Steam reviews are pretty middling currently at least, 74% positive and I'm sure plenty of the positive ones are borderline memes, in response to the growing negative reception, straight up in denial etc.

I'm fighting the urge to check the subreddit. I got my year's share of extreme reddit negativity/hostility/"HIVEMIND SHIT" when I kept checking the Black Ops Cold War subreddit when that game came out, but dang if I'm not curious to see how the narrative evolves around CP2077 over the weekend.
I think you're right, these things tend to have a kind of inertia. We'll just have to see.

Such mindfulness when it comes to social media exposure is smart. I browse a bit of carefully curated Reddit, but avoid most other social media. It can be very toxic and disheartening.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017

And the sad part is, nothing will change. The next mega-hype will come, the press will give 90+ meta, the publisher will do everything they can to only show the good things before release. Everyone will buy again, another record will be broken. It is just the sick FOMO culture we live in today. The best thing is always to wait for a launch and THEN decide on getting hyped or buy the game. I mean there is nothing wrong about getting hyped about a game, but it should never be as unhealthy like with CP2077.

I also learned my lesson today again with the release of Medal of Honor: Above & Beyond which looked super cool in previews but seems to be the hottest of VR trash now. It actually soured my mood the whole day ... but yeah, I should have known better. Coincidentally from another "great" publisher: EA.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Gamers are always shit, so I don't expect much from them but I expected better from media (though I probably shouldn't) and seeing all the praise and 90+ scores for such a buggy, broken mess full of an endless cavalcade of representation issues is really disappointing.

As for an actual question about the game, from what you have played, how much actual cyberpunk have you seen in the story outside of the very flimsy set dressing? Are they making any statement at all? Seeing it mentioned above that you actually take quests from cops at one point makes it seem that not only did they miss the mark, they aren't even in the same field.

I'm going to put this in spoilers just in case any trans, non-binary, gender fluid/queer folks don't want to be spoiled about some light reveals and mechanics.

I've just finished act 1, and from what I gather the first act was actually an intro. The title card just came up and the world has opened up in terms of active quests, new UI elements, etc...

And, looking back on it now, I can understand the shallow nature of the dialogue in the first act. The protagonist and her friend were shallow as hell, just chasing fame. Now the game is actually commenting on how fame in this city is especially shallow, the evil nature of the corporations controlling it, and I'm assuming it's going to infuse our protag with new purpose and perspective, so it kind of makes sense that the game started the way it did.

And the main plot point that is revealed at the start of the second act has the potential to be VERY traditional Cyberpunk.

Unless I missed something, though, there has been no commentary on the issues in the OP, no character has spoken about how shit it is, no positive trans representation, aside from characters expressing vague sentiments to make them seem "good at heart" and sell some of the plot beats, there's nothing so far to suggest this is part of the game at all. And, from the reviews that cover this issue, it doesn't look like this ever happens beyond a few examples that apparently feel tacked on.

I had one shallow side quest that showed cops in a shitty light, a few characters have commented on the shitty corporate stuff in general ways, but yeh nothing focused or anything that directly confronts anything.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
I'm going to put this in spoilers just in case any trans, non-binary, gender fluid/queer folks don't want to be spoiled about some light reveals and mechanics.

I've just finished act 1, and from what I gather the first act was actually an intro. The title card just came up and the world has opened up in terms of active quests, new UI elements, etc...

And, looking back on it now, I can understand the shallow nature of the dialogue in the first act. The protagonist and her friend were shallow as hell, just chasing fame. Now the game is actually commenting on how fame in this city is especially shallow, the evil nature of the corporations controlling it, and I'm assuming it's going to infuse our protag with new purpose and perspective, so it kind of makes sense that the game started the way it did.

And the main plot point that is revealed at the start of the second act has the potential to be VERY traditional Cyberpunk.

Unless I missed something, though, there has been no commentary on the issues in the OP, no character has spoken about how shit it is, no positive trans representation, aside from characters expressing vague sentiments to make them seem "good at heart" and sell some of the plot beats, there's nothing so far to suggest this is part of the game at all. And, from the reviews that cover this issue, it doesn't look like this ever happens beyond a few examples that apparently feel tacked on.

I had one shallow side quest that showed cops in a shitty light, a few characters have commented on the shitty corporate stuff in general ways, but yeh nothing focused or anything that directly confronts anything.

At this point I can't say I am surprised that is the case, all signs seemed to point to them not understanding the cyberpunk genre and literally making an embodiment of the "wow, cool future" meme. That is really disappointing because I have been really dying for a good cyberpunk game and with the current state of things in the world I feel like a really well done game with a strong message would resonate with a lot of people. It is all the more sad that they had so much source material to pull from with the tabletop game they literally licensed, not to mention the decades of other cyberpunk media.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
Oh the irony

being critic of capitalism and shallow values, in a game released by a company with shitty practices, with a relatively shallow plot since it does not challenge much of the distopia it features

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

At this point it seems like their message was basically to just say how big corporations are the big bad guys, but not really go any deeper than that.

Sign

Oct 31, 2017
At this point it seems like their message was basically to just say how big corporations are the big bad guys, but not really go any deeper than that.

If they were a better company you could almost see a successful meta marketing campaign where their PR garbage, and marketing leading up to the game was an intentional play to mimic the evil corps found in their world, and then you play the game and it has strong messages about inclusivity and representation, and you take down the evil corporations, including one that is basically a mirror of CDPR itself acting like they had been in the lead up, but nope instead its just lets court the chuds and look at cool neon lights and put a bunch of dildos everywhere.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Yep, it's good to see. I think a lot of gamers dismissed the sexism and transphobia concerns because their desire for a futuristic GTA was more important to them. But now that they've played the game and realized this is how bad its systems are:

Only CDPR's most ardent defenders are praising it as a phenomenal game now.

Did the cops just instant transmission their asses over to him? Lol.

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
Germanys biggest gaming magazine Gamestar reduced their rating from 91 to 88 after continuing their testing and finding more bugs and broken quests, according to them.

I think it sounds a bit fishy that they didn't encounter any of this initially and pushed through the 91 initial rating to be the good boys for CDPR, but whatever. At least they corrected it now.