• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 1238

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
edit: I am deleting this post because it is the first post of a new page and I don't want it to anchor and potentially further derail this thread into more meta commentary.

RugoUniverse

May 15, 2018
Very disappointed that easy allies didn't highlight any of the transphopic issues in their 40 min impression (of 30 hours of gameplay). Very disappointed in gaming media overall.
I've been lurking in this thread for months and already made my mind to not support cdpr long ago. I just wanted to say thanks for bringing all of this to my attention.

Likewise I was especially surprised as they have both Ben and Bloodworth playing it and in a 40 minute discussion they said nothing about the issue. I've been disappointed on their lack of strong stances on anything this year though so maybe it's on me for being surprised.

Jaychrome91

Nov 4, 2018
The situation surrounding the OT is being discussed at the moment but there is likely to be something posted in the near future.

For now it would be appreciated if the topic of conversation could stick to the transphobia in the game or elements from the OP, including parts of reviews that touch on that aspect. You can find examples of these in the threadmarks.

If you are interested in supporting trans people in Poland directly please consider donating to Trans-Fuzja here. If you wish for something more local then the US has The Trevor Project and the UK has Mermaids. For other countries if you post looking for a recommendation I'm sure some people will be able to assist.

If you wish to join the new Cyberpunk 2077 Discord to discuss the game, please PM --R for an invite.
The situation surrounding the OT is being discussed at the moment but there is likely to be something posted in the near future.

For now it would be appreciated if the topic of conversation could stick to the transphobia in the game or elements from the OP, including parts of reviews that touch on that aspect. You can find examples of some of these here.

If you are interested in supporting trans people in Poland directly please consider donating to Trans-Fuzja here. If you wish for something more local then the US has The Trevor Project and the UK has Mermaids. For other countries if you post looking for a recommendation I'm sure some people will be able to assist.

If you wish to join the new Cyberpunk 2077 Discord to discuss the game, please PM --R for an invite.
Just saw your post, thanks for the update Kyuuji.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. He's missing the context of the sum of transphobic elements together and analyzing and excusing each transphobic element in a vacuum one by one. Also painting this as overreactive libs (as if this is not an argument towards the game coming from a progressive/leftist perspective) and that transphobia cannot come from a place of ignorance like other phobias. His hype for the game is overshadowing the arguments he's reading, and is reacting to this essay as he's reading it, often offering arguments that he'd have an answer for if he just kept reading the damn thing.
Yeah, that helps expand on it. Thanks.

stupei

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah. He's missing the context of the sum of transphobic elements together and analyzing and excusing each transphobic element in a vacuum one by one. Also painting this as overreactive libs (as if this is not an argument towards the game coming from a progressive/leftist perspective). His hype for the game is overshadowing the arguments he's reading, and is reacting to this essay as he's reading it, often offering argyments that he's have an answer for if he just kept reading the damn thing.

it's worrying seeing this come from someone who is fairly far on the left with his chat doing a lot of "see, guess devs shouldn't even try if this is the reaction they get," as if anything about the game suggests that there was actual effort made for representation.

The fact that CDPR has managed to fool so many cis people into thinking genitals are the first step of trans rep is part of their lack of understanding, not an attempt at representation.

Nov 2, 2017
This is why you need an OT. This thread is starting to become a mess. Your going to have a bunch of people come in here to discuss the games reviews, performance, story ect. Mods either need to make an OT or ban all discussion of cyberpunk all together imo. I feel for my trans members, but you can't force people to discuss trans rights. This is one of the most hyped games and members will continue to discuss it here if it's the only thread available.

Or:

This thread about the transphobia of the game remains the only source of Cyberpunk discussion on the forum, highly monitored by staff, and you let all those people who want to take a head first trip into the woodchipper do so.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
People are not meaning to be disrespectful, the other threads were closed and at least one has a last post linking here and saying this is where to go to talk about the game for now. Thus people are.
That's not at all what the last post in that thread said.

We wanted this thread to highlight the reviews that discuss the transphobia, but it has immediately veered into meta-discussion and in-fighting instead of discussing those reviews, so we are locking this. Discussion of these reviews that highlight the transphobia can be found in this thread:

I highlighted in case anyone missed it. Anyone coming in here to talk about the game as if this is a regular thread is just trolling and dodging the policy to not discuss the game outside of its trans representation issues at this moment.

Luminish

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Denver
You have to be as dense as a black hole to come here and discuss the game completely ignoring dozens and dozens of pages and threadmarks and the OP and the title.

I cannot believe this. It's a fucking game, just play it in silence until the mods agree n what to do.
One post is being dense, multiple more after backlash is just pulling a Black Cauldren, who also got a pass for being dense.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
This is like if a thread was made for "famous music artist was just apprehended for the murder of 5 individuals", and people are jumping into that thread posting reviews of their latest album.

"But I just want to discuss famous music artist's music!"

well they were told no other threads about the game were allowed until mods "figured it out" and it's like the biggest release this year. should reviews be posted in such a thread? absolutely not. should a different thread be allowed to discuss the "album" (game)? I think so. The lack of update for hours and hours isn't good.

Still a little shocked by all the responses of "want to talk about the game (good bad or otherwise)? go somewhere else" in a gaming forum.

Deleted member 25606

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
not sure if he is, sounds like he's saying its an oversight issue right now

yeah hes saying they probably werent being transphobic.
If there is one thing I love it's cis people explaining to me what is or isn't transphobic (in relation to Hasan not you).

I guess I made a mistake. Was going to take a break but wanted to see a post with my name change so I figured I would take a look and somehow someway this thread has gotten even worse so I am really out now at least until tommorow.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Trans lives matter more than game reviews/discussion. The fact that this thread is open while others are getting closed should be a reminder that the content of this game hurts the trans community, and this matters far more than any other discussion you could possibly have about CP2077 at this point.

Do we ever think CDPR will address the transphobia that has been pointed out in reviews/their game?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Could potentially drop a non-statement about how inclusion matters to them if it starts hurting them financially, but even if they were to do that I'd give them a month at max before they're back to being publicly transphobic.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Do we ever think CDPR will address the transphobia that has been pointed out in reviews/their game?
They appear to have doubled down on it with the "SHUT THE FUCK UP AND BUY IT" Chromaticore ad. It's incredibly hard to see that as anything but a plausible deniability dogwhistle. "It's just showing the intense corporate disdain for consumers" they'll say... while they're really just actively engaging in that very thing towards the people that were calling out the original ad. I wonder how much say Mike Pondsmith had in what was going on in the game considering they seem to be completely missing the things he set out to do when he created the original world.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

For now it would be appreciated if the topic of conversation could stay around the transphobia in the game or from CDPR, including parts of reviews that touch on these aspects. You can find examples of these here.

Thank you Kyuuji for your hard work

Baloota

May 12, 2018
Egypt
Likewise I was especially surprised as they have both Ben and Bloodworth playing it and in a 40 minute discussion they said nothing about the issue. I've been disappointed on their lack of strong stances on anything this year though so maybe it's on me for being surprised.
Ian talked about the issues briefly at one of the podcasts and the allies seemed to agree so i kinda expected something. Was really suprsied there wasn't any and they were just hyping the game for 40 minutes.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I do wish HasanAbi would take a few minutes to better familiarize himself with the context of this discussion rather than...well, what he's doing right now.

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Im assuming they thought Zero was a mod as that's the only post in the thread before it was closed.

"All the conversation about the game is in here" with a link to this thread. Not surprised they were confused but why they kept posting review excerpts given the conversation god knows.

I also thought that reviews were meant to be discussed here, which I found really weird of course but thought the mods agree to that with the trans community for some reason. They should definetly edit the post who is redirecting everyone here.

I want to clarify that I couldn't care less about discusing this review, I'm just saying this so this doesn't repeat.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2017
Still a little shocked by all the responses of "want to talk about the game (good bad or otherwise)? go somewhere else" in a gaming forum.

You realize this is already operative policy here, right? There's a whole list of games that you're not allowed to discuss on this forum and have to take discussions about elsewhere.

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
If you're too unaware, uncaring or unempathetic to restrain yourself from hypeposting in a thread very clearly about transphobia, then you deserve to cop a ban and you can go eat shit on top of that.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For now it would be appreciated if the topic of conversation could stay around the transphobia in the game or from CDPR, including parts of reviews that touch on these aspects. You can find examples of these here.

Thanks, Kyuuji!

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hasan Piker : "This game has at least made accomodations to trans people"

Ok I take back what I said. This dude doesn't have a clue what he's saying and is just kneejerking reactions without thinking or reading through things properly. Hype has gone to his head and he's become defensive over Cyberpunk 2077. Some lefties just don't get intersectionality 🤦🏾

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017

Kyuuji you've done incredible work. Thanks so much for everything.

Ellyshia

Oct 27, 2017
well they were told no other threads about the game were allowed until mods "figured it out" and it's like the biggest release this year. should reviews be posted in such a thread? absolutely not. should a different thread be allowed to discuss the "album" (game)? I think so. The lack of update for hours and hours isn't good.

All I can say is I sort of disagree? If Taylor Swift ended up being a Hannibal Lector style serial killer, I don't see why we would need to allow threads here discussing if 1989 is better than Fearless or not.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
I do wish HasanAbi would take a few minutes to better familiarize himself with the context of this discussion rather than...well, what he's doing right now.
I don't know much about him but I'm a bit confused listening. It's like that because there is choice in the character creation + it's a dystopian world, it excuses the total lack of humanization of trans perspectives.

Again I'm also trying to learn in real time here, but I just don't see how that argument squares.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
This is why you need an OT. This thread is starting to become a mess. Your going to have a bunch of people come in here to discuss the games reviews, performance, story ect. Mods either need to make an OT or ban all discussion of cyberpunk all together imo. I feel for my trans members, but you can't force people to discuss trans rights. This is one of the most hyped games and members will continue to discuss it here if it's the only thread available.
If you are stupid enough to come in here and make a post that isn't related to the thread's topic you should eat a ban immediately. An OT doesn't prevent the stupidity/intentional bullshit taking place.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
You don't need an OT.

Make a staff post that says that this thread is only for discussion of this topic, and any other discussion about the game will result in a ban.

If people can't read a staff post in this thread, having this magical paragraph in the OT won't do a damn thing either.

After yesterday's clusterfuck, the least they could do would be banning discussion of the game. And don't hide behind "We want to provide a space for marginalized members to discuss their experiences with the game."

Set up a Discord and actually moderate it.

Why MUST the game be discussed on site, unless the only true concern is how many clicks/ad views it will get?

Faenix1

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's not at all what the last post in that thread said.

I highlighted in case anyone missed it. Anyone coming in here to talk about the game as if this is a regular thread is just trolling and dodging the policy to not discuss the game outside of its trans representation issues at this moment.

I'm referring to the gamespot one, which has a last post before the lock that points here and should probably be edited.

I'm assuming that's why so many appeared in the last hour or so posting reviews. Can't see them all being disrespectful on purpose.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
The fact that mods are coming up with policy for this game in real time rather than months ago (and communicated clearly over the last few weeks so users understood it) is mind boggling.

They did. And the user in charge of the OT turned out to be a loser con artist causing this mess.

People coming in here, of all places, to talk about the game should stop and have patience to let the mods sort this.

Very disappointed that easy allies didn't highlight any of the transphopic issues in their 40 min impression (of 30 hours of gameplay). Very disappointed in gaming media overall.
I've been lurking in this thread for months and already made my mind to not support cdpr long ago. I just wanted to say thanks for bringing all of this to my attention.

There is a collection of quotes of the reviewers that did address earlier in the thread. (edit: its threadmarked) It really is disappointing at the overall coverage, but i hope its a step in the right direction.

I want to say Thanks to Trans-ERA and the community that did and continue to help bringing it to peoples attention. There are those of us that do pay attention and have a shred of sympathy and empathy to do what we can.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Ok I take back what I said. This dude doesn't have a clue what he's saying and is just kneejerking reactions without thinking or reading through things properly. Hype has gone to his head and he's become defensive over Cyberpunk 2077. Some lefties just don't get intersectionality 🤦🏾
Complete fucking embarrassment

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. It's frustrating. He's not acknowledging that the combination of the in-game ad, the lack of trans representation in-game with NPC's, and essentially leaving trans representation to your genitals since your gender is determined by your voice altogether lead to a fetishization of trans-ness. These are accommodations and representation in the strictest, most literal sense (which seems to be where he's ultimately arguing from), but this is a representation that may ultimately be damaging.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I don't know much about him but I'm a bit confused listening. It's like that because there is choice in the character creation + it's a dystopian world, it excuses the total lack of humanization of trans perspectives.

Again I'm also trying to learn in real time here, but I just don't see how that argument squares.
Seems like he's processing it in real time without the benefit of context. So his analysis is based on the idea that the genre itself makes space for this kind of tokenism for the purpose of showing off the side-effects of unchecked capitalism. Of course, thiscontext lacks all of the historical context regarding CDPR and this subject.

He's out of his depth at the moment because he hasn't spent any time on this situation. Biggest problem here is that he doesn't realize there's more to the story, so he's babbling about the little bit he does know and disinterested in finding out more before commenting further.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Hagi Bricks Jotakori Thanks y'all for clarifying on people suddenly moving to this thread. Like you said, it doesn't really explain some of the continual posts that followed the initial one, but at least explains where the confusion came from.

Regarding Hasan it's not too surprising though still disappointing that he's handling this situation terribly. Earlier in the thread somebody posted a video from last year and it was very much him dismissing the concerns that were raised following the Chromanticore ad being picked up. Disappointing that he doesn't seem to have learned anything since then, especially with how he seems to have blown up lately.

OT status update, and a reminder to stay on topic

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
Cyberpunk 2077 OT will be going up by the end of the day. I'll personally be the one to post it myself. Please bear with me as I'm working around a real life schedule here. When it does go up, we will be setting some ground rules for the thread to ensure everything goes smoothly.

A separate review metascore thread will not be happening as we wish to limit the number of threads on this game. Reviews can be discussed in the OT.

Please keep this thread on the topic of CDPR's transphobia. Thank you.

LProtagonist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to think of other media that will deal with these aspects of the game in the future. I have to imagine that The Besties will address these issues when they get around to discussing the game. The McElroys are known for making a concerted effort to understand the trans community and Chris Plante is the editor-in-chief at Polygon, so he likely had some involvement with Carolyn's review.

Anyone have any idea of other places that will likely engage in an insightful look at this to keep an eye on?

Feb 3, 2019
I love hasan but it's clear that he is speaking from a place of privilege and is refusing to take any valid criticism. awful stuff.

cartographer

Oct 25, 2017
Edit: my post originally also quoted another post that was saved in my draft queue. This was unintended and sorry for any notifications.

It doesn't square. It's "be happy with what you got" dressed up in less abrupt language.

Sep 12, 2018
Seems like he's processing it in real time without the benefit of context. So his analysis is based on the idea that the genre itself makes space for this kind of tokenism. Of course, his context lacks all of the historical context regarding CDPR and this subject.

He's out of his depth at the moment because he hasn't spent any time on this situation. Biggest problem here is that he doesn't realize there's more to the story, so he's babbling about the little bit he does know and disinterested in finding out more before commenting further.
Yeah he changed his tune a little when people pointed out the whole cosplayer thing.