• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
If im being honest, Cyberpunk 2077 never appealed to me. So skipping it over principle was never going to be hard. The Hogwards game is going to sting a bit, cant lie. Harry Potter was a huge part of my childhood, and an open world RPG in that universe has always been a dream game of mine.... oh well, your principles have to mean something at some point and take priority.

Ragnar

Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunk 2077 just looks at the cyberpunk genre and goes, "Wow, people are naked all the time and killing each other on the streets? That's really cool, we should copy that!" The genre in this case is simply a tool to facilitate a power fantasy and that's it. No deeper meaning, no substantial message behind anything the game says. The game has no message. The world is effectively only immersive to people who want to shoot and kill things in video games with neon and grungy lighting.
This is where most cyberpunk media falls, and the reason why the game has never been enticing to me. Neon, body modifications, and mega-corps do not a cyberpunk make.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I don't know whether the ableism should maybe deserve a new thread or at least be put in the warnings in the OT of the game well remarked, because I don't think most people is closely following this thread

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Has anyone here read When Gravity Fails? I absolutely loved it when I read it 12-15 years and considered it a classic within the cyberpunk genre. But coming off of this discussion, and thinking back on the book, it was definitely ignorant as fuck with respect to its Trans characters - which I suppose isn't too surprising given that it was written in the late 80s. But even in that lens it's still thoroughly problematic, and it's crazy how your outlook on things can fundamentally shift over time as you better educate and familiarize yourself on a subject.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not going to lie...I'm dealing with a unsuspected level of FOMO today and it's been harder to refrain from buying this than I expected. But I really want to stick to my guns and not reward CDPR with my $60.
I personally used a VPN to buy it from the Russian GOG store (for like $36 AUD) then donated double that to trans-fuzja (charity details in the OP).

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada

The scuffed versions of those songs being played always kills me. I especially like the titanic, recorder version.

Looks horrendous. Holding back console keys is super fucking scummy. Given their track record with this game I am not the least bit surprised. I really hope they get backlash for this. Its unacceptable. They should have pulled the console versions rather than literally trying to scam base owners.

I had a back and forth with myself on whether or not I was going to get it, and I decided not to. Its intriguing and one gets caught up in the hype (its hard not to) but that will pass. Ultimately, the bugs, the ad thats plastered fucking everywhere and all the bullshit surrounding this game have turned me the fuck off. I just cant support this shit. Some real clown shit going on at CDPR. Id rather use that money towards a charity, if im in Canada where should i donate?

Ive got tons and tons to play. Earlier people were talking about Deus Ex. Are those games any good?

caff!!!

Oct 29, 2017
The scuffed versions of those songs being played always kills me. I especially like the titanic, recorder version.

Looks horrendous. Holding back console keys is super fucking scummy. Given their track record with this game I am not the least bit surprised. I really hope they get backlash for this. Its unacceptable. They should have pulled the console versions rather than literally trying to scam base owners.

I had a back and forth with myself on whether or not I was going to get it, and I decided not to. Its intriguing and one gets caught up in the hype (its hard not to) but that will pass. Ultimately, the bugs, the ad thats plastered fucking everywhere and all the bullshit surrounding this game have turned me the fuck off. I just cant support this shit. Some real clown shit going on at CDPR. Id rather use that money towards a charity, if im in Canada where should i donate?

Ive got tons and tons to play. Earlier people were talking about Deus Ex. Are those games any good?
The original one is a classic but also very late 90's tough, Human Revolution is a good starting point and a prequel to everything

GameAddict411

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched the DF video on the PS4 version. OMG I have never seen a game on run on that console that bad before. It seriously reminds me of the switch port of the witcher 3.

astro

Oct 25, 2017

If you can handle retro games, then play the original with mods.

If you'd rather something more modern, Human Revolution and Mankind Divided are fantastic and will scratch the cyberpunk itch.

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
Do I remember correctly that the original Deus Ex was almost prophetic about 9/11 and surveillance?

Very, it was prophetic about a lot of things.

The conversation with this old scrapped surveillance AI is such a great moment, and not even part of the main story per se.
JC Denton: "How about a report on yourself?"

Morpheus: "I was a prototype for Echelon IV. My instructions are to amuse visitors with information about themselves."

JC Denton: "I don't see anything amusing about spying on people."

Morpheus: "Human beings feel pleasure when they are watched. I have recorded their smiles as I tell them who they are."

JC Denton: "Some people just don't understand the dangers of indiscriminate surveillance."

Morpheus: "The need to be observed and understood was once satisfied by God. Now we can implement the same functionality with data-mining algorithms."

JC Denton: "Electronic surveillance hardly inspires reverence. Perhaps fear and obedience, but not reverence."

Morpheus: "God and the gods were apparitions of observation, judgment and punishment. Other sentiments towards them were secondary."

JC Denton: "No one will ever worship a software entity peering at them through a camera."

Morpheus: "The human organism always worships. First, it was the gods, then it was fame (the observation and judgment of others), next it will be self-aware systems you have built to realize truly omnipresent observation and judgment."

JC Denton: "You underestimate humankind's love of freedom."

Morpheus: "The individual desires judgment. Without that desire, the cohesion of groups is impossible, and so is civilization."

And another of my favorite quotes from a random bartender:

"The West, so afraid of strong government, now has no government. Only financial power."

I mean yeah you could argue these things aren't necessarily THAT hard to predict or THAT mind-blowingly insightful but I mean, compare those moments to most games that try and say something political or relevant and you come up pretttttty short.

(Sorry if this is a little off topic, just love DX1.... not playing Cyberpunk so not much further commentary on it)

astro

Oct 25, 2017
My friend bought this game yesterday, but can't get it to run on his machine... he's going to wait for patches. I've got access to his account in the meantime. His wife is non-binary, and they're aware of the issues, he's asked me to give my thoughts on it too.

Finishing up the install now.

I had literally 0 hype or excitement for this game and it wasn't pulling me to grab it at all, but I can't lie... now I'm about to press start I'm getting that new AAA game excitement. This usually wears off a few hours into the game and I'll shelve it (my libraries are a grave yard of barely played AAA titles), but that new game buzz happens every time regardless. Instant gratification chasing at the expense of everything else, I'm a bit of a slave to it sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going to play it for as long as it engages me and write up my thoughts on the experience. Really curious to see if it actually grabs hold of the gamer part of my brain despite the issues.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

Deus Ex is still amazing but naturally has all the trappings of a 20 year old PC game.
Human Revolution is one of my all time favs. I've played through it several times.
Mankind Divided took me four years to really get into, and I finished my first playthrough this year, but once I found a groove I ended up enjoying it a lot more than I did back at launch.

The cyberpunk genre doesn't aim to predict the future. It also doesn't aim to provoke grand revolution. Both of these values have been retrospectively applied to the genre and romanticised as essential. The Deus Ex series is largely very faithful to the core of the genre by taking ideas and accelerating them towards a dystopia. Human Revolution in particular is fascinating as it skewers the premise a bit by shifting the setting to the fringe of social collapse, like the calm before the store, the last and final moment of grandeur before it begins to tumble down. They tell a decent story of incredibly shlocky yet wonderfully entertaining conspiracy nonsense and the people trying their best to unravel the truth.

They're good shit. Deus Ex 1 is a bit more pulpy, as you'd expect of a game from the 2000s. It's very much a catch-all of late 90s/early-00's conspiracy theories, and how early internet allowed so many of these to propagate, squeezing them all into the narrative in some form. HR/MD, despite being prequels, are a lot more modernised in their tone and ideals, but retain the essence very well. MD fumbles a lot more than HR, but it's a damn shame Eidos Montreal seems to have shelved the franchise.

EM's presentation work is outstanding too. The art direction of HR and MD is genuinely stunning and wholly unique, and the OSTs are beautiful.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
relevant for the gamers suddenly being upset about C2077 over bugs:

Eo4iAeiW8AERlT_

Kamek

Oct 27, 2017
Wrong thread :( But I support trans rights and everyone's feelings and beliefs.

Late edit:

I also want to say whoever posted that "alternate" way to enjoy cyberpunk media to go toward lesser known creators - that was a really cool idea, and I hate no idea about all of those 'zines etc. I think it's a great way for those not comfortable with buying this game to still enjoy the settings and feel of the genre in a way they'd feel comfortable with.

Last edited:

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Straight out the gate the game feels like a massive let down. The gender options in the character creator are tacked on and almost feel like they were designed purely for teenage edge lords to giggle at.

I made a character I like well enough, but I would have loved to really create my perfect non-binary avatar.

Given the setting, this is never going to not feel like an active avoidance of acceptance.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
My friend bought this game yesterday, but can't get it to run on his machine... he's going to wait for patches. I've got access to his account in the meantime. His wife is non-binary, and they're aware of the issues, he's asked me to give my thoughts on it too.

I had literally 0 hype or excitement for this game and it wasn't pulling me to grab it at all, but I can't lie... now I'm about to press start I'm getting that new AAA game excitement. This usually wears off a few hours into the game and I'll shelve it (my libraries are a grave yard of barely played AAA titles), but that new game buzz happens every time regardless. Instant gratification chasing at the expense of everything else, I'm a bit of a slave to it sometimes.

Anyway, I'm going to play it for as long as it engages me and write up my thoughts on the experience. Really curious to see if it actually grabs hold of the gamer part of my brain despite the issues.
Straight out the gate the game feels like a massive let down. The gender options in the character creator are tacked on and almost feel like they were designed purely for teenage edge lords to giggle at.

I made a character I like well enough, but I would have loved to really create my perfect non-binary avatar.

Given the setting, this is never going to not feel like an active avoidance of acceptance.
I guess it doesn't hurt for at least one person here to play it just to really get a full opinion.

I've seen so many obnoxious thumbnails on YT of character creator that have people giggling. No surprise.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017

I know that feeling all too well, I've bought too many games that I'll never get to because of that first few days of hype pulling me in, then dropping it forever immediately afterwards

relevant for the gamers suddenly being upset about C2077 over bugs:

Eo4iAeiW8AERlT_
also the gamers who cry about us not being "civil" to trolls and transphobes
X1FGgVt.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it doesn't hurt for at least one person here to play it just to really get a full opinion.

I've seen so many obnoxious thumbnails on YT of character creator that have people giggling. No surprise.
Kyuugi is playing it on console, too. They were gifted a copy I believe. Some other nb and trans folks here are, also.

Will be very interested to read their impressions.

May 26, 2018

"Missing the obvious and the necessary" seems to be the running theme of Cyberpunk 2077.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Kyuugi is playing it on console, too. They were gifted a copy I believe. Some other nb and trans folks here are, also.

Will be very interested to read their impressions.
Oh okay didn't see that Kyuugi is. Definitely ready to see what is found from everyone playing since I'm not touching this right now.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
nice to see the OT being locked as it was promised before, even tho the game was delayed

those interacting with the OT fully will hopefully read the locked message and look into what the transgender day of remembrance is

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I guess you can summarize how the game is like this: even though The Witcher 3 had its share of problematic content, you always played with the feeling that CDPR were confident in what they were doing. With Cyberpunk 2077, it just feels they're trying to constantly impress - and specifically its Gamer audience.

I don't know if you played Uncharted 2 and 3, but you could compare with them. U2 is Naughty Dog confident in its abilities while U3 is ND trying to show set pieces all over the story.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
nice to see the OT being locked as it was promised before, even tho the game was delayed

those interacting with the OT fully will hopefully read the locked message and look into what the transgender day of remembrance is

Well when the Hype OT was locked for trans awareness week, its re-opening passed without a mention as I recall. Same for last week.

I fully expect a page of "We back boyeeeeez!" posts and nothing else.

Tedious being cynical all the time :P

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Well when the Hype OT was locked for trans awareness week, its re-opening passed without a mention as I recall. Same for last week.

I fully expect a page of "We back boyeeeeez!" posts and nothing else.

Tedious being cynical all the time :P
People who refer to the forum as "boys" like that are fucking lame.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
It's super weird how one reads about all the issues with the game, and I'm mostly talking technical, gameplay wise, obvious cut corners like the class introduction length and other promises not kept, even leaving out all the punches against minorities, and still sees a metacritic of 90.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It's super weird how one reads about all the issues with the game, and I'm mostly talking technical, gameplay wise, obvious cut corners like the class introduction length and other promises not kept, even leaving out all the punches against minorities, and still sees a metacritic of 90.
That's why Days Gone was trending a couple days ago. Days Gone got panned for bugs/glitches and issues like that coming before a big update. Just shows that they would give it to CDPR anyway. Bend didn't get any slack.

LegendX48

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, in general, aren't most of these reviews done by white dudes?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
They played it perfectly. Internet savvy memes and "fun, relatable" PR, played to specific audiences who would look at the game without a critical eye, limited reviews to PC where reviewers usually play on higher spec hardware than your average gamer, etc...

The fact they will still be seen as savours of gaming by their core base despite the trickery and cynical marketing bullshit is pretty frustrating. Even if you put the representation issues aside because you just don't care, the bullshit they pulled with the console versions should be enough for backlash.

If console versions come out and have a drastically lower score on MC, it might cause some kind of change with how some journalists approach situations like this in future... but that's probably a bit too hopeful, especially when a huge majority of reviews being as they are.

Regardless, they got paid, none of this is likely to matter for them.

Scarface

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I can't take mainstream reviews seriously anymore (Not that I put much stock into them anyways) Seems like most reviewers didnt bother to actually criticize the game and its myriad of technical problems. Blinded by hype and fanboyism. Sad, really.

Its absurd to me that a game this buggy has anywhere a 90. On top of that, not giving out console codes. Have the backbone to actually criticize the game and give it the score it deserves.

CDPR deserves all the shit they are getting and much more.

Lamptramp

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
People who refer to the forum as "boys" like that are fucking lame.

I do try to have some understanding, after all a good couple of decades of speech can be a difficult reflex to overcome. Doubtless I have my own bad habits too.

However the frequency and ease that "Boys" and similar gets thrown around is pretty damn grating.

Faith

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The only console review on MC so far is one with a negative score from a publication that gave the PC version an 85, I can't see many console reviews actually hitting to be honest.

The game was never going to get anything outside of 90s/extremely high 80s, lets be honest here.

Deleted member 46804

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 17, 2018

Honestly with the way the story is, none of the character creator stuff makes sense. They should have just stuck with the two different V's and been done with it but instead they are courting controversy for no good reason at all which I guess is their MO at this point.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Honestly with the way the story is, none of the character creator stuff makes sense. They should have just stuck with the two different V's and been done with it but instead they are courting controversy for no good reason at all which I guess is their MO at this point.

I'm still surprised by how short the corpo origins opening is lol. When I first read that they are having different origins, I thought that maybe they would be 3 different prologues at least. But turns out they're like prologues to the prologue missions.

Deleted member 290

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You get Street Cred for protecting cops and killing gang members...did CDPR actually read the source material? Like, at all?

Hagi

Oct 25, 2017

A lot of the stuff does seem rather pointless in the grand scheme of things which is strange given the focus they were given. A lot of the game feels slapped together which is likely the case given the crunch and surrounding issues actually getting the game into a state to release. I'm pretty amazed that they were able to control the narrative with reviewers to such a degree where nobody had even seen the base consoles running but i guess it's fitting given the subject matter. "also runs well on XSX and PS5" lol

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
I mean, in general, aren't most of these reviews done by white dudes?
And most of them scream "CDProjekt hire me" like the WindowsCentral one which I still can't believe it has been written by a reviewer and not PR

This is a mild Deus Ex clone with plenty of bugs, a shallow world, average gameplay... "Cyberpunk 2077 won't be bested for years — it is a masterpiece."

He's entitled to his opinion but can he really say these things with a straight face?