Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
The movie has a chance of not being a flop, the holidays are going well, movies do well all the way up to New Years which can make more money than Christmas even. It's doing ok overseas and has yet to open in many regions and big places like China.

It's not going to be a huge hit, but it probably will make a little profit if they are lucky

This movie deserves success, even if it's not a smashing success. I know Bumblebee is very popular in China. Heard my Chinese coworkers say that when I was in China. Hopefully they'll show up for this one.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
If there is a sequel i would like more shirtless Memo if possible. Jokes aside i would like the next time to have a different human protagonist with a different plot and more shirtless Memo.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This movie deserves success, even if it's not a smashing success. I know Bumblebee is very popular in China. Heard my Chinese coworkers say that when I was in China. Hopefully they'll show up for this one.

Saw some pics online of giant Bumblebee toy displays in Peru I believed wiped out after xmas. There is giant toy pushes being done in China too, so I mean if those do well enough, it does promote a potential future for the series.

They need to keep the movie though, if anything wait a few years before doing another Transformers movie at least, which right not is pretty much guaranteed with none in current development. Be at least another 3 or more years before we get another Transformers movie probably, so let it breathe and lets keep with this reboot

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Best film I've seen in a good few months.

Really liked how the meat of the film isn't typical Transformers action. Just added something completely new.

Best opening of any film this year too, the parts on Cybertron and Bee first arriving to Earth were astonishingly good.

Even the last fight was done pretty well, having such few Transformers really made it feel more focused and personal than almost any fight in previous TF films.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Haha. You're right! I should have said best live action film I've seen in months as I loved Spidey-Verse even more. What a month for movies!
For me, when I stack up the best films of the year there comes a point where I must seriously consider what sets them apart from each other in terms of filmmaking and artistic technique and that's where Spider-Verse takes the lead over pretty much everything else in 2018.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Now I wish the Transformers franchise wasn't in the mud right now. This movie proves the series can still be salvaged quality wise.

Oct 25, 2017
I loved it

I hope they keep going and ignore everything from the Bay movies.........which I guess was why they showed Prime and the other arriving on Earth :D

Hopefully word of mouth gives this some legs, I actually want more

Last edited:

Bookoo

Nov 3, 2017
Saw it this afternoon and was sort of disappointed.

I saw all this positve buzz, but found it to be a little boring and corny. It was better than the others, but it's largly due to the fact that the story is much smaller in scope and a big chunk of it is just about the "fun" high jinks that Bumble Bee gets into.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I loved it

I hope they keep going and ignore everything from the Bay movies.........which I guess was why they showed Prime and the other arriving on Earth :D

Hopefully word of mouth gives this some legs, I actually want more
This seems like the palette cleanser.

The next one with a bigger budget could break the bank and the box office if done right.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
and Sector 7 and Agent Simmons-- oh wait
Transformers is allowed to steal from itself.

Like, Bayformers 1 (summer 2007) created the no-voice Camaro version of Bumblebee. Later in the same year, the Transformers Animated cartoon on TV had an entirely different Bumblebee (and a very different Optimus, different Megatron, etc), and Transformers Animated also created a big green Autobot named Bulkhead.

And then Transformers Prime comes along a couple years later to replace Transformers Animated, and it basically steals Bumblebee from Bayformers 1 (although it does much better things with the character), while it steals Bulkhead from Transformers Animated.

New continuity = new rules. But it can steal anything it wants from anything that came before.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I came *THIS* close to shedding a tear in this movie.... TWICE!

A Transformers movie almost made me cry. This movie is legit and the chemistry Bumblebee has with Charlie works very well. My gf who hated the one Bayfrmer movie she saw (which she barely remembers) absolutely loved Bumblebee.

Its a shame that as good as this was it will never surpass the first 5 Michael Bay trainwrecks.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
What was the Go-bots reference? I missed it.

Memo is reading a GoBots magazine the first time you see him and he tosses it into the bushes.

Shocked it took so long for a GoBots reference since Hasbro has (sort of) owned them for a long time and has even made some of them into Transformers already. Bandai still owns the designs, but Hasbro has used some in comics and stuff.

457px-Witheredhopeinterrogated.jpg

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
So Aquaman's run got another month extension in China, which is expected to hurt Bumblebee who would have had a prime release without the big competition. Chinese theaters run films for a set contract of days, typically 30 days and Aquaman's was to be ending right up to Bumblebees release, but Aquaman is killing it and got the got them to extend for what looks like another month. China was expected to be a big place for Bee and now that is being put in jeopardy

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Memo is reading a GoBots magazine the first time you see him and he tosses it into the bushes.

Shocked it took so long for a GoBots reference since Hasbro has (sort of) owned them for a long time and has even made some of them into Transformers already. Bandai still owns the designs, but Hasbro has used some in comics and stuff.

457px-Witheredhopeinterrogated.jpg

I'm confused. This picture contains all G1 Transformers, not Gobots. Just because they're little doesn't make them Gobots (ew).

On topic, the movie was all right. Hell, just by virtue of having visually coherent robots, it was better than Bay's shitfests, amongst a million other reasons. As a huge G1 Transformers fan, I actually teared up at Optimus' truck on the bridge at the end. I hope these designs hold through into future movies.

SpyGuy

Oct 30, 2017
Damn very different from the first Bayformer movie I saw (and LOVED) but this is different in it's own good way and the story was amazing. Loved it.
Also loved the decepticons. Can never have enough transformer battles, I want more!!
That F-4 Phantom was sweeeettt.

ValKiryuSonicEX

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Think I've only seen the first 3 Bayformers, then skipped on 4 & 5, decided to see on Christmas since the trailers were promising.

...I was not disappointed, best film of the franchise and I realize some will take that as a low bar, but I genuinely enjoyed it. Like I hope this does well and we just reboot the series with this as a starting point. I'll admit to not remembering Shatter and Dropkicks' names throughout the movie, among with some other issues, but it was overall good.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I actually want to see this, and I never thought I'd say that about another Transformers movie. Gotta try to get to see it while it's still on the big screen.

The first Transformers was pretty entertaining at the time, even if it was a big ad for Microsoft. The next two were not, and I think I stopped there. Watching a thunderstorm was more fun than watching Transformers 3 when I saw it at the drive-in.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
Best film I've seen in a good few months.

Really liked how the meat of the film isn't typical Transformers action. Just added something completely new.

Best opening of any film this year too, the parts on Cybertron and Bee first arriving to Earth were astonishingly good.

Even the last fight was done pretty well, having such few Transformers really made it feel more focused and personal than almost any fight in previous TF films.
The first 15 minutes of that movie were like a dream. I had the biggest smile on my face during the Cybertron bit. I want an entire movie of that(I think we all do haha).
Now I wish the Transformers franchise wasn't in the mud right now. This movie proves the series can still be salvaged quality wise.
Seriously. I wish this had come out after Age of Extinction, when the franchise still had a lot of hype. Instead of The Last Knight.

Luckily, it's doing pretty decent with the Holidays. Unfortunately, it's coming with Aquaman and Spiderman(which has better holds than BB does).

dgco86

Oct 25, 2017
I really enjoyed the movie, and the reference to the G1 Season 1 intro during Bumblebee's fight with Dropkick had me grinning from ear to ear.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It can't be overstated just how incredible the opening is. They fucking nailed it.

But it kind of sucked the wind out of my viewing experience because everything that followed on earth was not remotely as interesting. The pacing was also pretty bad, the whole midsection of the movie felt plodding and unfocused. They probably should have saved the fight with Blitzwing until act 2 to keep the action flowing better.

Still, it's a really solid foundation. Give Travis a budget comparable to Bay and you'll have a great Transformers movie on your hands.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
What a disappointment, it was the same exact thing as the first one. The first 15 minutes were super promising but then the human story went back to terrible humor and the exact same scenes copied from the first movie.

They have it, they have the movie I want to see but somehow they don't have the guts to make it, they probably think is not profitable or something, I don't know.

At least the Cybertron stuff and the action scenes were cool.

AgentOtaku

Oct 27, 2017
Watched Bumblebee. As they say, it's competent and decent, which automatically makes it better than all the Bay films. You can tell the characters apart, no one's annoying, there are no leering creep shots of women. And I got hyped when they showed Soundwave and Shockwave lined up and I could immediately recognize them.

Same here.

Seriously

Film was wonderful and you could clearly get the Amblin/Spielberg vibes they were going for and pulled off

Oct 25, 2017
Duuuuuude
At first I had no interest in this movie but word of mouth got me in the theatre and I wasnt prepared for how much I would like this. This is the first actually good transformers movie. I lost my nerd shit like 5 different times.

If Travis/Knight/Steinfeld don't get brought back for a sequel then fucking riot, they're the transformers dream team.
If this is the start of a reboot and they bring back the dream team then I'll be back in the seat day 1 next time.

It's really strange how it's a prequel and a reboot at the same time. It has clear allusions and setups to things in Bay's franchise while simultaneously establishing multiple plot points incompatible with the original timeline. It's just sort of straddling the line. But considering the ending, I hope if they make another they'll stop dipping their toes in the reboot water and just jump in.

They finally made a transformers movie with emotion and plot with recognizable characters and action scenes that are not only creative but also easy to follow.

Jun 1, 2018
this movie was so much worse than tf 1,2 and 3.

the first transformers movie was the best but this one is so childish..there was barely any meaningful dialogue and the scenes were so cringeworthy and def catered to a 12-year old audience....

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the movie but it was also a lot more geared for kids than I thought.

Still, it was the best TF movie since the first one. The robots and CG looked fantastic and Bee and his interactions were charming. Bonus points for having likable human characters too.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

the first transformers movie was the best but this one is so childish..there was barely any meaningful dialogue and the scenes were so cringeworthy and def catered to a 12-year old audience....

So it's actually a proper TF movie then? The other movies are so bad on how they try to make the source material so much more edgy.

This was basically the 80s cartoons come to life, and as someone who loved the originals TF cartoons, a nice surprise.

Glenn

Oct 27, 2017
The soundtrack for this movie was so good. Although it's kinda cheating when it's basically a best of 80s compilation

Oct 27, 2017
Just saw it. It wasn't bad! I had fun, which is incredible for a Transformers movie. The lead actress was very very cute.

However, I'm sick of the 80s fetishism as seen from the 2010s (no teenager would have a The Thing poster back then, nobody gave a fuck about John Carpenter until much later)

Pilgrimzero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Felt like a classic 80s film. Loved Hailee and John, they did great!

And the Transformers all looked and sounded correct! It was the live action Transformers film ive been waiting for (just needed more of the other Transformers).

I hope they make another in the same style.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
http://news.tfw2005.com/2018/12/31/...vLGu97Fi8WOguKvSo07cEsFR6Dq1C6qjU5WgS4i0f7rzo

Article goes into the test screening version and how the stuff changed, which clearly shows how they were trying to retcon this out of the previous timeline.

The change to the opening makes sense, as it did seem overly convenient of where Bee crash landed, so makes sense that they couldn't reshoot the whole thing and just went with the simple test exercise scene at the start.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017
I'm confused. This picture contains all G1 Transformers, not Gobots. Just because they're little doesn't make them Gobots (ew).
That image is based off the "G1 GoBots" which was a set that Takara put out of G1 recolours based on GoBots characters. Later the collector's club did some stories about them, explaining that they were trying to infiltrate Cybertron.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
That image is based off the "G1 GoBots" which was a set that Takara put out of G1 recolours based on GoBots characters. Later the collector's club did some stories about them, explaining that they were trying to infiltrate Cybertron.

A Transformers/Gobots mashup? Weird. Thanks for the explanation. The strange colors were a bit confusing, especially since a few of these already have color-swapped clones.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Best live-action TF movie by leaps and bounds. The Charlie/Bumblebee relationship was genuinely charming and emotional, and finally you can actually tell what's going on during the action scenes. The opening sequence on Cybertron is what I imagine a War for/Fall of Cybertron movie to look like.

This is a take.