Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
It shows Prime on Earth with Bumblebee, and then more Autobots arriving.

That retcons the first Bay movie that showed Prime and the Autobots arriving on Earth.

I really, really hope that they do retcon and reboot the movies. Bumblebee was great, and made justice to the franchise.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
It obviously was originally a prequel to the Bay movies, which is why Simmons is in Sector 7 and there's the Camaro. But after the first test screening they did a bunch of reshoots and that's when it became the reboot.

They were even changing things this summer because in July Travis Knight said at the SDCC panel that they couldn't use Starscream because he had a defined design in the Bay universe, but they put him in the Cybertron scenes.

So the movie is going to exist in this weird place where it's part prequel and part reboot. Then the next one will probably keep everything that people liked about this one and forget the Bay universe completely.
Ok good to hear. Hopefully it does well internationally for a sequel

Oct 26, 2017
I saw a comment on AngryJoe's video review of the movie and he said the movie is called Bumblebee yet the movie is so much about the girl. I guess he has a point but it didn't annoy me at all or anything. But I did want more "bonding" scenes between her and Bee.

Angry Joe is ridiculously harsh about the movie. Calls it a Disney lite, nah man. I don't see it like that at all. He does want a Transformers movie set on Cybertron with tons of action. Which I can understand.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I really, really hope that they do retcon and reboot the movies. Bumblebee was great, and made justice to the franchise.

Last Knight tanked, so I think they know it'll be fine internationally and Lorenzo di Bonaventura said in an interview this week they're working on another big Transformers movie (not a solo one).

I saw a comment on AngryJoe's video review of the movie and he said the movie is called Bumblebee yet the movie is so much about the girl. I guess he has a point but it didn't annoy me at all or anything. But I did want more "bonding" scenes between her and Bee.

Angry Joe is ridiculously harsh about the movie. Calls it a Disney lite, nah man. I don't see it like that at all. He does want a Transformers movie set on Cybertron with tons of action. Which I can understand.

The movie is E.T. filtered through Transformers G1.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this movie tonight. It's so much better than the Bay films it's crazy. I love how better realized the relationship between Bumblebee and Charlie is compared to the one with Sam. The movie is more personal, more sincere, than the previous films. Also, yeah, the design of the transformers is a thousand times better, and the action scenes are shot in a way that the viewer can tell what is happening.

It's an extremely solid 4/5 for me, and I hope we can more than one sequel.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California

Diego Renault

Nov 1, 2017
Just saw it. Story started interesting, but then... dear god. The dialogs are so run of the mill hollywood, I almost couldn't stand it. The movie was straight up made for 6 to 8 year olds. That's not a bad thing, but I quickly realized it was nothing for me.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I wonder if they are already lining up the dump trucks full of money at Bay's door for Transformers X GI Joe or some Hasbro extended universe

Bonaventura said he doesn't think Bay would be back.

But they are doing an Allspark universe.

tfw2005-tf2016-0369-jpg.27920555

GI Joe is next up with the Snake Eyes movie that has a script and director now.

Hamchan

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a good movie and I highly enjoyed it.

It would be a cruel fate for audiences to turn on the franchise just when we finally get a good one.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Because of how bad The last Knight did?

I think it's probably a combination of him being burned out on it and Hasbro wanting to go in a different direction.

Bonaventura even said he doesn't think they'll get to present day with the Transformers for a while, meaning the G1 designs are probably sticking around until people forget about the Bayformers and they just make them the permanent modern designs too.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Saw the movie today and aside from a few cliche moments and dumb genre tropes, I absolutely loved the movie. Personally, this is perhaps the most heartwarming Transformers movie I have seen and it is monumentally better than Bayformers.

Also, the new, simpler designs are so much more pleasing and lest I forget, those side mirror bunny ears for Bee were perhaps one of the best design ideas to aid in the process of emoting.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out of this movie. I was this close to shedding a tear at two different points during this movie. A FUCKING TRANSFORMERS MOVIE HAD ME MISTY EYED WHATTHEEVERLIVINGFUCK?????

After hating each Transformers movie more than the last one (and skipping the last two) I can't believe Bumblebee is this good. What the hell happened?

Also: horray for a female Transformer that's not a throwaway character and/or super gender coded to make it look like a woman (no pink colors, no feminine siluete), she's just one more robot that has a female voice actress doing the lines. Aaaaaand zero objectification of any female character.

EDIT: how come this OT is so slow? Is the movie not out yet in the US or something?

Last edited:

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to this site Bumblebee is projected to be a financial flop. That would be a huge shame. Maybe folks are just tired of Transformers now?

https://vaaju.com/canada/bumblebee-projected-to-be-a-financial-flop-even-though-its-a-good-movie/
l can tell you were it not for me not knowing what to see at the theater and me browsing rotten tomatoes and be godsmacked by Bumblebee's 94% I would've never even considered it. It was totally franchise fatigue. The last 4 of the 5 Bayformers movies were unwatchable pieces of trash. Of course people aren't hyped for Bumblebee!

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
They're basing that on opening weekend and ignoring what it could make internationally. It also had half the budget of Last Knight.

Still it's a bad start. In the end the movie will probably turn a profit when said and done, but it's going to likely be the lowest performing film in the franchise.

The fatigue is real, people were already sick of it with The Last Knight, and the general populace don't know this is a reboot.... and doesn't help when you have the producer saying it's not a reboot nonsense. They needed to own up to it and push that this is a whole new direction for the franchise, cause releasing this within a year of the last one and being vague about it being a reboot or a prequel was stupidly confusing to people.

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Just got out of this movie. I was this close to shedding a tear at two different points during this movie. A FUCKING TRANSFORMERS MOVIE HAD ME MISTY EYED WHATTHEEVERLIVINGFUCK?????

After hating each Transformers movie more than the last one (and skipping the last two) I can't believe Bumblebee is this good. What the hell happened?

Also: horray for a female Transformer that's not a throwaway character and/or super gender coded to make it look like a woman (no pink colors, no feminine siluete), she's just one more robot that has a female voice actress doing the lines. Aaaaaand zero objectification of any female character.

EDIT: how come this OT is so slow? Is the movie not out yet in the US or something?

I just CANNOT believe the movie is good. It makes no sense after all the attricious movies we've got. In my book 2 Transformer movies were ok. The First one and the 3rd one. The others are simply a torture to watch.

So I cannot wait to watch it this weekend :)

Oct 28, 2017
It feels nice to have a Transformers film without main characters who are terrible people or gross/raunchy humor. In other words, the movie actually understands the tone this children's property should have.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to replicate the feeling I had when I first watched transformers on the big screen almost a decade ago. Not saying bumblebee isn't better but man, that was such a cool moment even it was the start of bayformers.

This is the most I've enjoyed the series since then tho. The last couple were awful.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

People were pretty misty eyed when Optimus Prime died.

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just got out. This was great. So glad they are using the toy designs. This felt like an actual 80s comedy adventure and not a movie just stuffed with nostalgia

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Heard great things about this, and I'm really looking forward to seeing it. The first ("Bee Movie") was underrated and I'm a huge Seinfeld fan. Hailee, Jerry, doesn't matter!

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Competently done, in that characters were easy to understand and differentiate and the plot is straightforward and the stakes are raised with early deaths. Early callbacks pay off and it doesn't stumble on its emotional beats.

I dunno why I watched it though. It's better than Bayformers on a movie making level but I have limited nostalgia for giant robot fights.

Last edited:

FarronFox

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I went into this not really knowing it was anything but a Transformer film and I really quite liked it. I hope many more get to see it as I feel it will even appeal to many who weren't taken in by the previous Bay films.

Maybe my fave Transformer movie or at least second fave. Was quite easy to follow instead of having a whole bunch of confusing things happening as well. Was glad there was no crude humour this time too. It reminded me quite a bit of movies like E.T. as it pretty much had the same basic story.

I thought Hailee was great in the role as well and hope to see her appear in more Transformer films.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
damn this was hella good

those after credit scenes tell me this is gonna be the reboot + Hailee's arc is done, which makes me sad

Chindogg

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
East Lansing, MI
The first 10min of the movie made the last 4 movies look like overblown amateur hour. The rest of the film is pretty much an homage to ET and all those other 80s "alien/robot buddy with kid" films. Cena played the perfect jarhead stereotypical soldier. The family felt like an 80s family. Each Transformer had great personalities (the banter between the triple changers when duping the military is awesome.) All the nods to Transformers' past were a lot of fun and not overbearing (I was a huge fan of Bee passing a truck that looked exactly like 80s Prime with the grey trailer and sideline design at the end of the film.)

It sucks that it had to fit as a prequel to the original garbage films, but I'm glad it sets itself up to be a reboot. It's amazing how keeping shit simple works so much better than throwing money at something in hopes that more money comes out of it.

Nyx

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Utrecht, The Netherlands
The opening was fantastic as a G1 Transformers fan, then the movie turned into a teenager drama...

The end battle was a serious letdown as well.

Should have focussed on the old gang of robots and John Cena. Teenager girl problems are for other genres imo.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
G1 designs were awesome. Action direction was top notch. Being able to actually see what is going on and identify the bots is a plus. But it's also clear that this movie started development as a straight prequel to Bayformers, and turned into a reboot when Bay departed from the franchise during production. It's funny seeing details and plot elements which would only make sense to include as prequel material for TF1, in the same film that is trying desperately to distance itself from the previous films by contradicting stuff directly and having totally different designs. It's not even a retcon, there are scenes clearly inserted to reboot the origin for good.

I had a good time but it definitely felt kinda low key and simple for a TF film, and the character story was a bit too close to TF1 to be uniquely impactful in any way. Triple-changers are sick though. So cool.

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just got out. Found myself pretty bored the whole time. First few minutes was badass as fuck.
Did I fall asleep, or did John Cena's character not really DO anything except ride shotgun in vehicles and occasionally stand in front of some vehicles barking orders? I expected him to at least have an action scene. Granted I dipped out to pee at one point, so please tell me if I missed something.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Think the pacing was great. The drama part was alright, some very nice moments as well, as unlike anything in the Bay movies they tried to get the bots to have some emotional connection to the humans for once. The whole revenge prank part was hilarious.

The opening action was pretty packed so it did make the later finale seem so small in comparison. But it's a smaller movie, much lower budget. Amazing that this cost a good bit less than even the first Bayformer film.

Hinkypunk

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Whoa, this movie is actually good? Wtf?

Transformers 1 was absolutely fantastic but we all know what happened from there. Nothing of the marketing of this movie gave me any reason to believe it wasn't another cash grab tack-on.

Would love to relive the joy of T1.

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
So I just got back from watching the world's first and only live action Transformers movie and I came away happy. Why didn't someone try making a Transformers movie until now is anyone's guess.

The scale is smaller though. It isn't the most original story. It's a girl and her robot. Just Bumblebee against two Decepticons. It's very much a story about Bumblebee and his new friend. It's a very personal story. Charlie's absolutely charming lead female character. Her acting was fantastic. Just... WOW! John Cena is divisive online, and I happened to like him in this movie. The goofier characters never get annoying or overstay their welcome. Most of the cast is likeable.

A couple of cheesy moments here and there. It's not super action packed, but I don't need explosions every few seconds. Bumblebee has his badass moments without going overboard. This movie does make a point to keep reminding you you're in the 80's.

Watch this movie and support it.

Rogue Blue

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just got back from seeing this.

Now this is what Transformers should've been from the start.

Likable engaging characters, a coherent decent storyline, fun action and....heart?! Well golly gee, that's a first for this franchise isn't it?

And this is genuine heart here too. You really grow to love Charlie and Bumblebee together.

I'm really glad to hear that this is set up more as a reboot than a prequel. I'm curious what they've altered cause Bumblebee still looks alot like the one from the Michael Bay films.

SFenton

Nov 10, 2017
Just got out. Found myself pretty bored the whole time. First few minutes was badass as fuck.
Did I fall asleep, or did John Cena's character not really DO anything except ride shotgun in vehicles and occasionally stand in front of some vehicles barking orders? I expected him to at least have an action scene. Granted I dipped out to pee at one point, so please tell me if I missed something.

Wasn't he in the helicopter fighting the Decepticons in the last battle? Been a while since I saw it.