Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

🐝ResetEra Review Thread (🍆)

🐝Rotten Tomatoes (as of Dec 20 - 93% Certified Fresh, 7.1 rating)

🐝Wikipedia (full plot spoilers)

🐝Box Office Mojo
Estimated Budget $100-130M
Estimated Domestic OW $25-30M
Actual Domestic OW $20M

🐝IMDb
Starring Hailee Steinfeld (Spider-Verse, Edge of 17)
Director Travis Knight (Kubo and the 2 Strings)

🐝Meet the Cast🐝

🐝Transformer Designs🐝

🐝Official Promotional Videos🐝
z2NKDmB.jpg
mH2B1WW.jpg

Last edited:

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
We get about three minutes of "Here's what we could have been doing with the previous 5 movies!" on Cybertron and that alone is basically worth the price of admission.

Mokubba

Oct 27, 2017
Really Enjoyed it. Very different tone to the Bay movies. Nothing was over the top like all the previous films after the first one.
I did want more action but those are what future sequels will take care of when we see more robots.

I've got some questions though.

Why didn't the decepticons find out about Megatron if they were allied with sector 7. Even the scientist Powell seemed to be unaware of Megatron.

What was the deal with Optimus being on earth at the end. I thought he didn't come until the first one. I guess we'll find out in the next film.

So Megatron left Cybertron a long time ago chasing the all spark and crashed landed in the arctic circle in the late 1800s. Meanwhile war continued in cybertron and almost a century or so later Optimus decided to pick earth as a base for the Autobots to regroup?
Thinking about it the last film and revenge of the fallen already had transformers on the earth.

Man I hope this is a reboot. Thinking about the story line is giving me a headache.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really Enjoyed it. Very different tone to the Bay movies. Nothing was over the top like all the previous films after the first one.
I did want more action but those are what future sequels will take care of when we see more robots.

Why didn't the decepticons find out about Megatron if they were allied with sector 7. Even the scientist Powell seemed to be unaware of Megatron.

What was the deal with Optimus being on earth at the end. I thought he didn't come until the first one. I guess we'll find out in the next film.

So Megatron left Cybertron a long time ago chasing the all spark and crashed landed in the arctic circle in the late 1800s. Meanwhile war continued in cybertron and almost a century or so later Optimus decided to pick earth as a base for the Autobots to regroup?
Thinking about it the last film and revenge of the fallen already had transformers on the earth.

Man I hope this is a reboot. Thinking about the story line is giving me a headache.
no need for spoiler tags in a open spoiler thread

94% certified fresh, whoa
I'm really curious why they sent it up against Aquaman.
Seems like a really well made movie that could have won it's weekend on any other week or even in the summer

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
Just saw the film. While I don't think this is quite the film G1 fans are looking for, it has quite a few great moments.

Also, the best cameo in the film...

giphy.gif

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a fan of either the old Transformers cartoons/toys or the Bay films(saw the first two), so take my opinion with that in mind. I saw this because I was bored and the RT score is better than DC's FunMan. It's OK. It's not an embarrassment of a film like the Bay films and its also nothing special, IMO. I had hoped it would draw me in without needing to care much about TF nostalgia, and Hailee and the kid playing Mehmot(sp?) do a good job but the film is just as middle of the road as it gets. Every single other character from her family to Cena to the army to the Decepticons is completely unmemorable and cardboard. Fans will probably like it way more. I had hoped it would be a surprise but I just wanted to shrug afterwards.

Deleted member 2779

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Saw this yesterday, thought it was fun but nothing special. Random thoughts:

Some of the music editing earlier in the film was approaching Suicide Squad levels of pressing skip on your playlist but for the most part it gave the film the 80s charm it was going for without being overbearing. It felt true to Charlie's character which was the most important thing.

The family stuff barely held itself together by the end. The resolution we got felt kinda earned but the conflicts throughout the film needed more room to breathe. Her first day is where I would have made some cuts to rework how the family fits into her life and the narrative itself.

Action was good but I would have liked one more setpiece. The police chase had the right idea, wish we got more outlandish stuff that stretched this idea of a malleable, transforming robot that could exist in reality.

Also they whitewashed (one of) Steinfeld's parents >:(

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
The human characters outside of Hailee have quite a bit of problems. I'm not sure why they even cast someone to be her friend.

The pacing of the film and her interaction with Bumblebee is the sell here, and it works well when on display. The G1 nods and the conclusion are really great stuff.

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
2 things, I need a 90 min movie of just the first 3 mins, holy crap was the action on Cybertron everything I'd ever wanted.

I marked the hell out when Stan Bush The Touch played briefly

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 things, I need a 90 min movie of just the first 3 mins, holy crap was the action on Cybertron everything I'd ever wanted.

I marked the hell out when Stan Bush The Touch played briefly
Yeah, I think that's the next step, although I'm confused with the $135M budget.

Maybe they had a really low budget in mind and then added the Cybertron stuff to punch it up since it was too mediocre

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
This was great. It's a much smaller scale movie, it doesn't have that huge blockbuster feel we get from most comic book movies or the crazy stuff in the other transformers films. It's much smaller and personal movie. It's all around well done, the only real negative I could say is that it's pretty predictable and kinda by the numbers. Lot of 80's adventure film tropes here.

Also how is this not a reboot? The entire film contradicts The Last Knight and other revelations made throughout the other films.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This was great. It's a much smaller scale movie, it doesn't have that huge blockbuster feel we get from most comic book movies or the crazy stuff in the other transformers films. It's much smaller and personal movie. It's all around well done, the only real negative I could say is that it's pretty predictable and kinda by the numbers. Lot of 80's adventure film tropes here.

Also how is this not a reboot? The entire film contradicts The Last Knight and other revelations made throughout the other films.
I'm pretty sure it is a reboot.

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Hated the Bay movie enough to never care about seeing the sequels.

I really loved this.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
The Bay movies contradict themselves so what's more to toss on the pile?

They usually just kept adding to the mythology in stupid ways, a few mistakes, but this movie outright ignores huge elements from the Bay movies and especially almost everything revealed in the Last Knight.

There really is only one connection to the Bay movie made right at the end, and its purely visual

Worthintendo

Oct 25, 2017
They usually just kept adding to the mythology in stupid ways, a few mistakes, but this movie outright ignores huge elements from the Bay movies and especially almost everything revealed in the Last Knight.

There really is only one connection to the Bay movie made right at the end, and its purely visual
To me the ending, outside of Bumblebee changing form to basically how he is in the first movie ignores the original films, Optimus and the other Autobots landed in the 80's not the mid 2000's Optimus looks is in his classic design not the dumb flame truck he was in the original films.

The film is presented as a prequel but could easily be spun off into it's own thing.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
To me the ending, outside of Bumblebee changing form to basically how he is in the first movie ignores the original films, Optimus and the other Autobots landed in the 80's not the mid 2000's Optimus looks is in his classic design not the dumb flame truck he was in the original films.

The film is presented as a prequel but could easily be spun off into it's own thing.

The decepticons also make first contact with humans, yet they've been to earth before according to the Bay films. Also Bee was on earth for years and even fought in WW2 along side human military, yet that clearly never happens here. The whole fall of Cybertron war doesn't align time wise either since it's in the 80's in this movie now. Course the complete change of Bee's voice, and they gave him a whole new reason why he lost his voice. It just goes on and on how this movie just ignores the Bayverse. The only connecting element shared really would be the section 7 group

hwalker84

Oct 29, 2017
Pittsburgh

If this isn't a reboot then they serious f'd up fitting this in with the other movies.

Movie itself was great though.

Squid Lord

Nov 28, 2017
Charlie finally getting Bumblebee to like The Smiths really put a stupid grin on my face. Really enjoyable film. Would rewatch.

Scarecrow

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think if the first movie had these designs and toned down the Michael Bay-isms, it would have been a perfect Transformers movie. The robots in this looked fantastic.

Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I watched it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It's still very silly for the most part, but the transformers part was amazing! Why couldn't they do them like this (classic design) before?! This just proves that Michael Bay was always a bad choice as Director.

This should have been a complete reboot, because it deserves many sequels, and now how will they do that?

It was a simple, fun movie, and that's great! I would give it a 8/10. Gor watch it! Jhon Cena was also very enjoyable, he looked like he really had fun making the movie.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I watched it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. It's still very silly for the most part, but the transformers part was amazing! Why couldn't they do them like this (classic design) before?! This just proves that Michael Bay was always a bad choice as Director.

This should have been a complete reboot, because it deserves many sequels, and now how will they do that?

It was a simple, fun movie, and that's great! I would give it a 8/10. Gor watch it! Jhon Cena was also very enjoyable, he looked like he really had fun making the movie.
I think it had to be like a test to see if audiences want G1 designs

Apr 19, 2018
So I'm answering my own question from a prior thread, and that's if composer Dario Marianelli utilized any of Steve Jablonsky's themes from the older movies. And the answer, sadly, is no.

I thought it would have been an appropriate moment for them to use Arrival To Earth or Autobots during the ending when the rest of them are, well, arriving to earth.

Last edited:

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
I really like Bee's mannerism, and made him realistic.

I do hate the shoe horn of this is part of the previous movies. It was pointless at the end.
just forget the last one and move on

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Way back when Michael Bay unveiled the designs for the very first Transformers film, after there was a big uproar from G1 fans, Bay was asked in an interview why he decided not to honor the beloved classic designs. His response?

"Look, I just didn't want to make the boxy characters, okay?"

In typical Bay fashion, he made sure to turn up the condescending douchebaggery in his voice for that response. The man did not give two shits about adapting the original Transformers.

MizneyWorld

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My first thought after 5 mins in, "Why didn't they do that 10 years ago?!" In regards to Cybertron and recognizable Transformers.

ManaByte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
My favorite movie this year. The E.T. easter egg was very fitting.

I think it was in a small way trolling the Bay movies, as it's the exact opposite. The asshole teenager characters in this movie seemed to be a parody of the main characters in the Bay movies.

I really like Bee's mannerism, and made him realistic.

I do hate the shoe horn of this is part of the previous movies. It was pointless at the end.
just forget the last one and move on

Well the very next scene in the credits makes it a reboot since it retcons the first Bay movie.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
My favorite movie this year. The E.T. easter egg was very fitting.

I think it was in a small way trolling the Bay movies, as it's the exact opposite. The asshole teenager characters in this movie seemed to be a parody of the main characters in the Bay movies.

Well the very next scene in the credits makes it a reboot since it retcons the first Bay movie.
I knew it

I didn't stay after credits. What is it?

Oct 27, 2017
i really think this is a special movie. i think it mined the best parts of spielberg nostalgia and will go on to be a sort of kids cult classic.

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I knew it

I didn't stay after credits. What is it?

It's literally after the first credits. Did you run out of the theater or something?

It shows Prime on Earth with Bumblebee, and then more Autobots arriving.

That retcons the first Bay movie that showed Prime and the Autobots arriving on Earth.

Dr Doom

Oct 25, 2017
It's literally after the first credits. Did you run out of the theater or something?

It shows Prime on Earth with Bumblebee, and then more Autobots arriving.

That retcons the first Bay movie that showed Prime and the Autobots arriving on Earth.
oh that one.

I didn't piece those together. Once I saw the Camarro, and leaving her. I started getting annoyed. Haley is good protagonist for the movie

ManaByte

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
oh that one.

I didn't piece those together. Once I saw the Camarro, and leaving her. I started getting annoyed. Haley is good protagonist for the movie

It obviously was originally a prequel to the Bay movies, which is why Simmons is in Sector 7 and there's the Camaro. But after the first test screening they did a bunch of reshoots and that's when it became the reboot.

They were even changing things this summer because in July Travis Knight said at the SDCC panel that they couldn't use Starscream because he had a defined design in the Bay universe, but they put him in the Cybertron scenes.

So the movie is going to exist in this weird place where it's part prequel and part reboot. Then the next one will probably keep everything that people liked about this one and forget the Bay universe completely.