• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I looked at him as the half measure or the bar. I think the worst he could have been, Killmonger would have never reached that level.

I'm having a difficult time parsing this. Are you saying if Killmonger's father went all the way in his plan Killmonger's plan in the movie would have paled in comparison?

Pixel Grotto

Oct 27, 2017
I saw this yesterday. Loved it and the more I think about it the more I love it more. Possibly the best Marvel movie in my eyes and I enjoyed it MUCH more than any recent superhero film from both Marvel and DC, with only Wonder Woman coming close.

I'm more of a DC guy in general but I gotta give props when props are due, because this depiction of T'challa deserves all the love and attention its getting. A great, culturally relevant film.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Thanos could be attacking Wakanda just to get the vibranium.

In fact, it seems increasingly likely to me that we won't see the Soul stone until Captain Marvel or Avengers 4.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to say. Theoretically, he might have hated his father. The man who kept him from his fairy tale.

That is interesting. It is hard to tell how drastic of an impact N'Jobu's plan would've had if successful. And even alive he surely would have been barred from Wakanda alongside his son.

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Thanos could be attacking Wakanda just to get the vibranium.

In fact, it seems increasingly likely to me that we won't see the Soul stone until Captain Marvel or Avengers 4.

Thanos doesn't care about Vibranium.

With the reality gem he could simply will tons of it into existance.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand the "Killmonger sought out violence against women" take.

His hands were rated E for everybody.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Thanos still doesn't have all the stones tho. If he's leading an army, then sure as fuck he would want his soldiers dressed and armed with vibranium gear.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. Killmonger was ready to fight anyone. The women were just the ones who stood up to him.

People saying it's because he laughed before he killed the Dora Milaje woman in the third act.

My man was about to orgasm during both fights with T'Challa when he had him on the ropes. The nigga loved to kill. His name is Killmonger.

*shrug*

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So the timeline post Civil War is this right?

Civil War
Black Panther
Spider-Man Homecoming
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Doctor Strange
Thor Ragnarok
Infinity War

EDIT: Forgot Doc Strange in there, fixed.

Last edited:

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX

Civil War
Black Panther
Spider-Man Homecoming
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Thor Ragnarok
Infinity War
That's what I'm thinking, though I guess you could fit Ant-Man & the Wasp anywhere between Civil War & Thor: Ragnarök until we get more details.

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017

Civil War
Black Panther
Spider-Man Homecoming
Ant-Man and the Wasp
Thor Ragnarok
Infinity War
Yep. Until recently I was under the impression that Doctor Strange took place sometime after Civil War, but I'm sure now it takes place after Ant-Man and before Civil War.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just came back from seeing it with my wife and friend and it was everything. Just everything I hoped it would be: powerful, inclusive, uplifting, entertaining, beautiful, and just brimming with powerful black people.

Erik Killmonger is probably the best antagonist Marvel has had yet, and I've always been of the camp that never had an issue with any of the antagonists we've had so far. They've all been fairly well done, with maybe Maliketh from Thor 2 being genuinely weak sauce.

Amazing movie, and I need to see it again, and own it on Blu Ray as soon as that fucker is available.

Also, I inadvertently purchased 4DX tickets, which was a surprise to my friend, as she had never been to a 4DX showing. She got a kick out of it. I had planned to just see the movie in good ol' 2D, but it was pretty good in 4DX. Sometimes distracting, but overall good.

There's a lot to chew on in this movie, but I teared up during scenes I didn't expect to. Growing up a child of the 80's, being told that my people couldn't be heroic, and that the only heroes that mattered were the white ones...this movie hit me in the feels real good.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand the "Killmonger sought out violence against women" take.

His hands were rated E for everybody.

I wouldn't say he sought it out, the violence against women just stood out more.

But Killmonger was about even in his on screen kills. Maybe we're just not used to seeing women getting it like that.

Last edited:

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
For a two and a half hour movie, this shit felt like it was 90 minutes. Saw it again today and the sort of sand tech they use with the ending is a great way to finish it. So colourful

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would say he sought it out, the violence against women just stood out more.

But Killmonger was about even in his on screen kills. Maybe we're just not used to seeing women getting it like that.

there's obviously layers to this and while I don't think he was particularly sexist in the nature of his character, I think the portrayal of his character was written specifically to have instances of cruelty to women in order to make him seem like the bad guy. It was intentional, not saying that he only had it out for women.

Anubis

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Movie was amazing. Probably my favourite marvel movie to date or at worse in the top 3.

Movie fired on all cylinders.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nah, I can agree that, that part doesn't really make a lot of sense. But, I suspend my disbelief considering that Asgard doesn't seem much better. But, the idea that they've made technological progress for so many years but have made zero social progress is a little weird. Like, it's still apparently an absolute monarchy that determines its successor through ritual blood death combat. It's not completely unrealistic when you have countries like Saudi Arabia around, but it paints Wakanda is a bad light, as less "enlightened." If I could change things I'd make it so the monarchy is not absolute, the King is the figurehead and protector, but he's bound by the will of an elected Council. I'd also make the ritual blood combat a really ancient rule that most people have forgotten, but Killmonger being an expert on history knows about it and invokes the ancient right through his royal blood.
You are basically doing what the Wakandans, do, though. You look to what's more familiar and decides that it's more "enlightened" because maybe it mostly works compared to other things.

Wakanda is an isolationist country that looks outward as the whole world turns to chaos while they continue to be the most prosperous and advanced. They didn't really have that much incentive and necessity to change the tradition that had been working really well for them for thousands of years.

Last edited:

TerminusFox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You are basically doing what the Wakandans, do, though. You look to what's more familiar and decides that it's more "enlightened" because maybe it mostly works compared to other things.

Wakanda is an isolationist country that looks outward as the whole world turns chaotic while they continue to be the most prosperous and advanced. They didn't really have that much incentive and necessity to change the tradition that has been working really well for them for hundreds of years.
Not to mention that, both from a philosophical and practical reality standpoint, it's literally impossible to have a perfect government, no matter how "advanced" you are.

Deleted member 5864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A lot of the themes of the movie are tradition vs innovation, as told by Coogler himself. Shuri yawning and pressing tradition to move along during T'Challa's coronation ceremony speaks to that as well.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
This is the best Marvel script to date. Infinity War be damned, that will be exiting, but even then we'll see how it goes. People will argue over rewatches for that too.

I present to you the TSM Sho_Nuff82 breakdown

TSM said:
It was a great quote, but the movie set up Killmonger as a misanthropic monster that just wanted the world to burn.

They had him kill his own girlfriend in cold blood just to demonstrate how monstrous he actually was. It was pointed out numerous times that he was trained to destabilize governments, and the first thing he did was start a civil war in Wakanda and was in the process of starting a world war. It was a moment of grandstanding and self justification. The movie then went on to have T'Challa sow the seeds of a real movement for empowerment.

Sho_Nuff said:
It was what he was taught (by the US, no less) as the only way to bring about real change. Regime instability and violence via overwhelming physical force. He saw Wakanda as a tool for African revenge on the world, with himself as the potential new ruler. If he's wrong (and most would agree he is), it means most nations of the world have been wrong at one or more times in their history, many more recent than others.

TSM said:
Absolutely, but it robbed the statement of some of the power it could have had if spoken by someone more worthy. In this context it essentially is just another way of saying "I regret nothing I have done." Having said that it's still great that someone is rubbing American's noses in our terrible past during a blockbuster movie.

Equating himself with the slaves shipped to the Americas for any punishment he received is extremely self serving and arrogant. Though his claimed motivations might have been worthy, Killmonger himself was a monstrous sociopath. In the end he was a coward that would rather die than to face the consequences for what he had done.

Sho Nuff said:
In the context of this fictional universe, what would make him more worthy? He took over Wakanda legally in less than a week by dropping three bodies, one of whom totally had it coming and the hero was heartbeats away from killing himself. Aside from his brief period as a mercenary, which he admitted were a means to an end, his character genuinely believed he had done nothing wrong.

The central theme of the movie is that we as a society create new Killmongers every day, all over the world. Many of them by locking up or killing their fathers. Most of them don't have the discipline or the means to take over a sovereign nation, but people fed up with being tread upon by the world will eventually lash out. That is why Lupita's character repeatedly says she's not just going to sit at home, that's why in the end T'Challa finally decides to open Wakandas borders. Erik is wrong because his solution for uplifting blacks is shitting on everyone else. Throwing him in jail would be no different from what he would have been faced with as an angry youth in his own neighborhood. Is that making the black community a better place?

TSM said:
I'm saying Erik didn't actually care about uplifting blacks. He said he did, but at no point in the movie did he act like he actually cared about any other human on the planet. He killed his girlfriend point blank and showed no regrets whatsoever. He gloried in killing people to the point that he covered his body in celebratory scarification. His sole motivation appeared to purely be revenge. From what we saw he just wanted to watch the world burn down around him so everyone could feel the pain he felt. When he died there was no plea for T'Challa to use Wakanda's power to make life better for black people.

And I have the final piece, because this movies theme that spoke to me was Responsibility and Accountability.

Killmonger is literally Black Aggression. A "fictional" American product we've been clamped for easily so it might as well be real. Take it to the max, No Fucks. MIT. CIA. Erik was brilliant. Because he was hellbent on his conquest. He's an Op, he tryna find Wakanda... Of course lemme find the top Vibranium dealer... He's going to be a access pass if he got shitty history. Erik was pissed off entirely.

People underestimate TChalla. This is why he succeeds. This is TChallas movie. Its a comeup story. He comes off as a late bloomer because Wakanda is enormous weight. He has access to the most advanced nation on the planet and has to take care of his people. That is real burden. Having a dependent. Even one is drastic enough, imagine a nation. TChallas biggest enemy in this movie was himself. He second guessed his decisions everytime. Klaus was done until the cameras came out, and TChalla undermined himself to cooperate in a bigger world system. He had good right not to trust Ross in Korea, and what does he get? Dude takes a bullet for his royal guard... Not even TChalla. Thats when TChalla knew that it was possible to have good faith in one another. TChallas empathy for Erik is what destroys him in the tribal.

Erik's aggression is overbearing because its so truthful and pure. But you forget, that he's a CIA Op trained to manipulate and deceive. He is the product of America itself. The cream of the crop actually. Radicalized by the same system who wielded it against his people, with the same tactics used for efficiency and are usually highly unmoral. Eriks problem is that his aggression was a goal and not a motivator. That conquering the world doesn't solve the pain that one feels in life. Its exactly why he's so arrogant in his death. Its why like TSM said, He never says anything about uplifting the people. He wallowed in his anger. TChalla represents the dedication and the drive to put that anger aside to achieve something. Its such a true black feeling. Having to put your feelings aside to appease, if only for a greater cause. Killmonger rebukes that, and he goes from the heart at all times unapologetic. He has a Righteous Anger but its anger, so its ultimately destructive. The world could not have afforded for him to be king. TChalla had to accept his role and stop questioning his worth, his values, and judgement.

There are so many situations that make black people question the structure. And the only thing people are asking for is to equalize it. TChalla says yes to that, and now represents a power structure that is generous and kind. He essentially equalizes the World. That last scene is essentially TChalla becoming a renown world figure.

I can't wait to see this again.

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I would say he sought it out, the violence against women just stood out more.

That's what I think it is. If we are going to have women in positions of power within a narrative, then they are naturally going to be involved in the conflicts when the antagonistic agent comes to try and wrestle power away. It's....literally just the necessary part of an action movie. The only way to really avoid this is to take power out of their hands, so women's suffering could only be a matter of villainous targeting rather than incidental to the conflict of the narrative.

godofcookery

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing subpar about Black Panther.

They literally never call Erik Killmonger. The closest they get is Ross saying it the one time when explaining his backstory "he racked up so many kills they started calling him Killmonger."

Not that I'd have minded if they had used the name a few times. Shit, it's a live title lol. Villain names are an art form. Don't wanna fuck around and end up being Taserface.

Not that it affects anything, but I do recall T'Challa referring to him as Killmonger once.

xplatformer

Oct 30, 2017
Los Angeles
I wouldn't say that. There was some awful editing in Civil War.

Oh no you didn't. No super fast transition between multiple fighting characters in CW helped the scene look more real. We won't get into the lighting which throughout BP was horrible except for the fight scenes where T'Challa was standing in water.

You actual feel T'Challa is fighting in CW. In BP, when he's not an obvious CGI character it's almost too dark to see him in most his fight scenes.

We can agree to disagree. Wholeheartedly.

This is still the best cat suit fight Marvel has given us.
(it helps a little that we can actually see him fighting)

I understand CGI when they need BP running fast enough to catch up to a car...or if he's jumping BETWEEN buildings, but sticking a good choreographed fighter in the catsuit and having him fight against other humans would have added a much needed level of realism to the BP character.

Anyone want a CGI version of Okowe fighting? NO. So don't give me a CGI BP fighting either.

Last edited:

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's what I think it is. If we are going to have women in positions of power within a narrative, then they are naturally going to be involved in the conflicts when the antagonistic agent comes to try and wrestle power away. It's....literally just the necessary part of an action movie. The only way to really avoid this is to take power out of their hands, so women's suffering could only be a matter of villainous targeting rather than incidental to the conflict of the narrative.[/QUOTE]

except that's exactly what happens with the garden burning scene and him shooting his taken-hostage girlfriend.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
except that's exactly what happens with the garden burning scene and him shooting his taken-hostage girlfriend.

And again; that'd matter if he wouldn't have done the exact same thing to a man in that position. Hell, he kills the man the old woman is replacing and kills two men at the same time as his girlfriend, only really taking any joy out of Klaw's death.

He even claims he'll kill the children of anyone who dares oppose him while speaking in the throne room.

His response to anyone in his way is violence. It's not at all gendered.

Holy shit.

Clear hack....right?

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Also Trial by Combat wasn't a problem in GOT

Erik attacking the woman and his GF are true Villain moments

Veelk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't agree. "Choke out the dissenting authority figure" is a trope as old as time, with the most infamous example being Darth Vader choking out a rando admiral for casually shit talking him. Holding someone up by the throat is just a very evokative imagine of dominance and malice that is used almost any time there is a superpowered encounter with a villain. There is nothing notable about it itself, it's just we rarely see it happen to a woman.

Killmonger's girlfriend is a little bit trickier. That scene was indeed meant to evoke how he cares for no one, including his romantic partners (who are usually the only things villains do care about), and it would be a different sort of scene if he was gay and had a boyfriend he had to shoot instead. The point they were driving there is that Killmonger sees everyone's lives as secondary to his objective, and the shorthand for that is "kill a loved one", which kinda had to be a woman unless you want to do extra work by developing a close relationship with some male partner.

So the throat choking scene is one I disagree with entirety, while the girlfriend scene is one where they kinda had to use a shorthand to save screentime.

LionPride

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And again; that'd matter if he wouldn't have done the exact same thing to a man in that position. Hell, he kills the man the old woman is replacing and kills two men at the same time as his girlfriend, only really taking any joy out of Klaw's death.

He even claims he'll kill the children of anyone who dares oppose him while speaking in the throne room.

His response to anyone in his way is violence. It's not at all gendered.

Holy shit.

Clear hack....right?
Game show