• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
I entirely forgot I was in. The tutorial is pretty awful for someone that didn't remember how to play the game as it explains next to nothing outside presenting the cards. Disappointing.

EDIT : Also it's weird but when the AI "thinks" about what to do the game seems like it's about to hang up lol

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Initial thoughts: It feels like there's just too much going on right now. I know it will take getting used to, but the UI seems overabundant in itself, but then on top of it you're working the three lanes at the same time and there's a lot more passive aspects to heroes and abilities, and keeping track of mana with how it's shared and more things use mana.

I don't hate the way it feels, but right off the bat it really just seems like complete overload in just about every possible way.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
Haven't gotten anything yet. Maybe I haven't properly signed up.

But I honestly kinda tuned out after reading in what state the game still seems to be in.

Lyng

Editor at Popaco.dk
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Initial thoughts: It feels like there's just too much going on right now. I know it will take getting used to, but the UI seems overabundant in itself, but then on top of it you're working the three lanes at the same time and there's a lot more passive aspects to heroes and abilities, and keeping track of mana with how it's shared and more things use mana.

I don't hate the way it feels, but right off the bat it really just seems like complete overload in just about every possible way.

Yeah have to agree.
I would even go as far as to say the old system was better apart from the attacking rng.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
art.png

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
" Finally, we're at a point where we're ready to invite the remainder of players who acquired the original Artifact before March 30, 2020 and signed up for the beta. Those invites will be going out shortly. "

well ok thats why i guess

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
with magic arena confirmed to come to mobile in 2020 and runeterra taking off, i don't have a lot of hope left for this

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Moving countries, so have been without my pc since June, and still won't have it for another couple of weeks. Mostly stopped paying attention to the beta news, and there's now such a huge backlog of games I want to play, I'm not sure when I'll return to it. Such a shame it turned out like this, but I'm hoping there'll be a good game there when I do eventually boot it back up.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Valve time doesn't work with card games, I kept saying. People don't treat betas like betas, they're early access and they needed to be treated and supported like full release games.

Like I got into the beta but why should I even put time in now? It'll be at least a year before it's even close to where it needs to be.

Won

Oct 27, 2017
I urge you guys to give the game a go. It's great despite the poor art.

Well, it still is Artifact at the core. So of course it is great!

I played this little campaign thingy and I don't know what to make of it. Feels like it lost more in this transformation than it gained. Zoomed out board especially is painful. Everything is soooo small now.

Not that it matters. I still haven't read or seen anything that makes me think Valve will support it longer than 2 months this time.

Ventrue

Oct 27, 2017
Updates have been pretty consistent each week. Lots of new cards added and lots of balance changes.

Cards can now have a faction (eg Bronze Legion) in addition to a colour. A few nice improvements were made to multicolour decks, including cards that get a bonus effect eg when you've got both a green and a red hero.They've added a 'card demo' mode to try out each of the heroes and their abilities. The item shop got largely reworked and is much better.

Things still apparently being worked on: new tutorial, new game modes. Interface/art improvements don't seem to be on the agenda yet.

I would be surprised if the game came out of beta in 2021.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I've dipped in to the Beta once or twice, but given my favourite mode is Constructed and I'm an unsocial loner, I still haven't played that mode in it. I do think the shift to all 3 lanes at once has removed a large part of what made the game unique (and also a lot of what I loved about it), so I'm not sure I care about it anymore, but I'm willing to give it a proper go at some point. But lately I've just been playing the original release, trying to get to level 200 for that final avatar selection.

LightBang

Mar 16, 2018
Maybe I'll play the open beta, but I'll probably wait for release.
I don't want to grow to like the game, see it all changed within a couple of weeks, like it a bit less but ok, more change and be burned out for the final version which might be very different from a version I liked.

Dota Underlords is the best example of the above, I just don't want to relearn the entire game.

I also thought Artifact 1.0 gameplay was excellent with some flaws. So I don't think this revamp was necessary from the start.

Feb 16, 2018
i'm not playing til it's more finalized either

i may or may not like whatever artifact 2.0 is, but i can accept that they had to try something different after the first one failed

i can only hope they don't do something as dumb as gwent did when they added a deckbuilding cost to cards after they sold everyone a completely different game...

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Art looks great, but seeing them say they're about done shifting gameplay aspects is a pretty big bummer. Have they actually changed any gameplay(after initial 2.0 changes) through this phase? They've just added cards.

I'm still just not a big fan of the 3 boards playing at the same time aspect.

Gyroscope

Oct 25, 2017
Ah wow, I feel Valve has lost the plot. Have not played 2.0 since a few days after I got in but this new tutorial, and seeing how little has changed client side really makes me wonder. And the one thing that was immediately apparent to have changed, the Shop. The new tutorial gave absolutely no ideology behind it, just what it does in the stripped down version that was presented, and it was not even needed to do what is required get a victory for the tutorial.

I gave my feedback on that, and other issues of course, and I'll admit I have not been keeping up but... I'm still not feeling confident about the direction or what I'm testing. Maybe it's just not for me.

I actually played some 1.0 draft for a night before the new Runeterra expansion and, wow I missed it and enjoyed my time playing it, but the game is more dead than dead can be. I'm not a fan of Runeterras expeditions at all.

Last edited:
Game over folks 🪦

gutshot

Oct 25, 2017
Toscana, Italy
dead game, officially

Artifact, the Dota 2 card game, shipped in November of 2018. Despite good initial sales, our player count fell off pretty dramatically. This warranted a shift from the service/update development model we'd planned to a full reevaluation of the game's mechanics and economy.

It's now been about a year and a half since the current Artifact team began work on a reboot in earnest. While we're reasonably satisfied we accomplished most of our game-side goals, we haven't managed to get the active player numbers to a level that justifies further development at this time. As such, we've made the tough decision to stop development on the Artifact 2.0 Beta.

store.steampowered.com

Artifact - The Future of Artifact - Steam News

Artifact, the Dota 2 card game, shipped in November of 2018. Despite good initial sales, our player count fell off pretty dramatically. This warranted a shift from the service/update development model we'd planned to a full reevaluation of the game's mechanics and economy. It's now been about a...