• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I don't love the five slot limit, it works in Runeterra but I did enjoy that going extremely wide on a lane was viable before

But I do like how positioning is a lot more precise and tactical and card design reflects that

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Ooof... That 5 slot limit is something I was hoping wasn't true from the rumours. But I'll manage... Like...

Yeah, if I played a boardgame with a 5 slot limit, I'd accept it no problems, it's just the part of me comparing 2.0 to CCGs that's a bit put off.
I don't love the five slot limit, it works in Runeterra but I did enjoy that going extremely wide on a lane was viable before

But I do like how positioning is a lot more precise and tactical and card design reflects that

tactical board game vibe is exactly what i need from artifact 2.0

there are enough "pure" ccgs out there (outside of a proper digital asynch netrunner )

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
tactical board game vibe is exactly what i need from artifact 2.0

there are enough "pure" ccgs out there (outside of a proper digital asynch netrunner )

Yeah, I think it's just me being all Old Wizened Artifact Player: "Back in myyyyyy day, Artifact had wide lanes!". I've always loved the board-game feel of Artifact, so it's not going to stop me from digging into 2.0.

DiscoShark

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ooof... That 5 slot limit is something I was hoping wasn't true from the rumours. But I'll manage... Like...
If the rumors are anything to go by the restrictive ruleset is supposed to be able to open up heroes and abilities whose sole purpose it is to "break" those rules. Like a card that increases the number of units you can put into a single lane etc.

I'd be curious if every lane happening at once means there won't be this passive emphasis to push the first lane and ignore the last lane, gonna need more info on how the games play out.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
If the rumors are anything to go by the restrictive ruleset is supposed to be able to open up heroes and abilities whose sole purpose it is to "break" those rules. Like a card that increases the number of units you can put into a single lane etc.

Ohhh, that sounds pretty damn awesome. Not read that specific rumour before.
I'd be curious if every lane happening at once means there won't be this passive emphasis to push the first lane and ignore the last lane, gonna need more info on how the games play out.

I think players will push towards making all three lanes competitive, if not at first, then certainly after a few weeks of losing against people who explicitly do that.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Taking the game in a super bland obvious direction is not what I was hoping for.

Lame.

That's my initial reaction, anyway. I trust Valve. They don't make bad games. We'll see.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

benj

Oct 27, 2017
all this stuff sounds fine and good, but it's a little hard for me to imagine that changes of this magnitude are really enough to 'reboot' the game. like, it's clear that the game is changing a lot, but it also seems like it's fundamentally the same game—is that enough to bring back players who feel like they got their fill of something a year and a half ago? or is it really going to snag an audience that wasn't interested the first time around?

I obviously am operating with much less information than they are, and I'm sure that, being Valve, all of their decisions are very driven by data and very well-founded explanatory theories for that data. I'm just some chucklehead on a forum. all the same, I'd be really interested to read whatever design document they're working off of that purports to explain why Artifact slumped the first time around, and why this altered Artifact will succeed where the last iteration failed, because these seem like relatively modest changes given the problems that they're trying to fix

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
all this stuff sounds fine and good, but it's a little hard for me to imagine that changes of this magnitude are really enough to 'reboot' the game. like, it's clear that the game is changing a lot, but it also seems like it's fundamentally the same game—is that enough to bring back players who feel like they got their fill of something a year and a half ago? or is it really going to snag an audience that wasn't interested the first time around?

I obviously am operating with much less information than they are, and I'm sure that, being Valve, all of their decisions are very driven by data and very well-founded explanatory theories for that data. I'm just some chucklehead on a forum. all the same, I'd be really interested to read whatever design document they're working off of that purports to explain why Artifact slumped the first time around, and why this altered Artifact will succeed where the last iteration failed, because these seem like relatively modest changes given the problems that they're trying to fix

Most word of mouth about the original game though was that it was fun and interesting but the monetization sucked and it was too long or too complicated. I don't know if it will really bring in a big audience right away but changes like those and then adding stuff like progression and single player to bring others in the audience could build from there and build a new audience.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
I'm only recalling this conversation from Gabe: https://youtu.be/mERhtoD21rU?t=977 in which he describes how Artifact isn't trying to be a certain set of somethings, and one of those things being a SP game. That being said, things have definitely changed.

Yeah there was definitely talk about it in general from Valve and the team, there was a decent amount of interviews with Garfield where he was talking up how much he was against stuff like Ladders, Grinds, progression systems, foils/cosmetics that just seems so anti-Valve that it just seemed like they gave Garfield just a little too much decision weight when it came to the original launch.

With regards to the single player, I bet a large part of that was valve specifically and I bet the reaction to City Crawl with Underlords has been a big reason for that reversal.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
playartifact.com

Artifact on Steam

Artifact now features two games: Artifact Classic, the original Dota 2 trading card game, and Artifact Foundry, a special edition with streamlined gameplay, new cards, new single-player content, and an improved new player experience.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
playartifact.com

Artifact on Steam

Artifact now features two games: Artifact Classic, the original Dota 2 trading card game, and Artifact Foundry, a special edition with streamlined gameplay, new cards, new single-player content, and an improved new player experience.

www.surveymonkey.com

Artifact Hero Poll

Take this survey powered by surveymonkey.com. Create your own surveys for free.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Why do they keep wanting our input from incomplete knowledge?

I'm voting on Snapfire and Arc Warden purely off their cards and skills likely being interesting.

I'm liking the changes to the base cards we've seen though. All of those skills seem nice and distinctive and make them a lot more worth while than just random throw in's when you get bad heroes in draft.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
playartifact.com

Artifact on Steam

This is sounding very good. I like that abilities cost mana, and that they are looking to make heroes more interesting. That was a huge missed opportunity, especially seeing how well LoR does it.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
This is sounding very good. I like that abilities cost mana, and that they are looking to make heroes more interesting. That was a huge missed opportunity, especially seeing how well LoR does it.

It's crazy to think just these 3 heroes sound more interesting than all of 1.0's heroes, and these are the heroes that are just used for Draft filler. These are the heroes you fall back on.

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
playartifact.com

Artifact on Steam

They are straight up turning the Shop into Underlords

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The items teased seem crazy. I can see a deck having items of just supplemental type of items, or a deck more focused around items much more. Neconomicon is basically Venomancer the item lol

Plus the item similarities to Underlords is crazy. It's like they're adding another layer of meta on top of the game. Could be overwhelming but I'm hopeful.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Most consumables, including Town Portal Scrolls, have been removed from the game completely. You now get a similar item, the Blink Scroll, the first time you bring each enemy tower to half health. Blink Scrolls work like a Blink Dagger but are consumed on use (each let you move a hero to a slot in an adjacent lane).

I like this change. The scrolls were never a particularly fun element.

Feb 16, 2018
biggest problem with the shop was whoever got better heroes at the start just pulled way too far ahead

not sure if this fixes that or not. i remember it being one of the reasons why i didn't like the draft

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
biggest problem with the shop was whoever got better heroes at the start just pulled way too far ahead

not sure if this fixes that or not. i remember it being one of the reasons why i didn't like the draft

I'm confused what you mean by this? Are you talking only draft? Because you decide what heroes to put out? Unless you mean the early game hero matchups with placement, in which that has been addressed too.

If you just mean in draft, I can understand, but the way it's phrased makes me think you meant that issue in general but it was worse in draft?

Feb 16, 2018
I'm confused what you mean by this? Are you talking only draft? Because you decide what heroes to put out? Unless you mean the early game hero matchups with placement, in which that has been addressed too.

If you just mean in draft, I can understand, but the way it's phrased makes me think you meant that issue in general but it was worse in draft?

the issue was more painful in draft, but i remember the randomness of where heroes spawn and what they fight also mattering in constructed

as long as they remove a lot of the RNG, the gold shop might work as a concept. it just felt like a win-more mechanic in artifact 1.0, except with the problem of luck instead of skill letting people get that early boost

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
the issue was more painful in draft, but i remember the randomness of where heroes spawn and what they fight also mattering in constructed

as long as they remove a lot of the RNG, the gold shop might work as a concept. it just felt like a win-more mechanic in artifact 1.0, except with the problem of luck instead of skill letting people get that early boost

Oh ok, yeah they've changed deployment entirely. Deployment Deep Dive

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The more I think about it, the more I like the sound of the single mana pool as discussed in Mechanics. It's going to fundamentally change the game by leveling the playing field and making Mana Rounds 6, 7 and 9 less "I win!". Obviously, mana costs and cards are being reworked, but currently, Mono Blue and Mono/Majority Black decks hit their stride at 6 or 7 mana. I've played multiple games now where I've Hip Fire'd at the end of Mana Round 6, then Chain Frost to decimate Lane 1 > Chain Frost to decimate Lane 2 > win with Lanes 2 and/or 3. A single mana pool means more thought and strategy for the aggressor, and a life-line for the weaker player.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
The changes to Ignite better not mean Improvements are going away. Probably one of my favorite mechanics of the original game.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
I expect they're going to get a lot of questions this week relating to Improvements and "Wtf is an Aura?".

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully it'll be irrelevant in 2.0, but god how I wish there was a way to filter out decks you don't want to play against - Mono Blue decks are, generally speaking, so bloody boring and predictable to play against.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
Certainly an interesting approach, kind of a self-policing meta. I don't know of any card games that have done this, but it sounds good in principle.

The only issue would be if people abused it, I think? But they could control that by only having one or two filtering options at a time, like, say, No Mono Blue + No Mono Green, so that people weren't locking themselves into an ever-decreasing pool of players.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
no no no no no that's a terrible thing for a card game

I mean, I am honestly sick of playing against Mono Blue, and it's driving me away from the game. Maybe if Artifact wasn't a ded game, then there'd be more movement with the meta, but I can tell you the type of deck I'm playing against from the second round, more often than not, and with Mono Blue, I don't even need to get to second round to know it's - more often than not - "Race to Incarnation", with a couple of Bolt of Damocles in there to finish off. My heart legit droops when I see all blue heroes. :/

More objectively, I don't see why it would hurt in a casual setting. I think of it like allowing CS:GO players to select what type of game they play - some people just don't like bomb defusal maps, and others hate the life out of Office, so why not allow for a decent amount of filtering in casual mode?

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I mean, I am honestly sick of playing against Mono Blue, and it's driving me away from the game. Maybe if Artifact wasn't a ded game, then there'd be more movement with the meta, but I can tell you the type of deck I'm playing against from the second round, more often than not, and with Mono Blue, I don't even need to get to second round to know it's - more often than not - "Race to Incarnation", with a couple of Bolt of Damocles in there to finish off. My heart legit droops when I see all blue heroes. :/

More objectively, I don't see why it would hurt in a casual setting. I think of it like allowing CS:GO players to select what type of game they play - some people just don't like bomb defusal maps, and others hate the life out of Office, so why not allow for a decent amount of filtering in casual mode?
If you have that option you can just start deck sniping or building around completely different metas, which is against the spirit of the game. Like take the Runeterra tournament that just happened, because of how everyone brought three decks but you banned one of your opponent's decks, people could bring a deck that was very good if you could avoid a specific color. The deck can't get that kind of momentum in a normal ladder, but with that check removed, it's significantly stronger. People banning out decks means banning decks they lose to. It'd be so abusable.

Also if you're coming up against Mono Blue now... well, kudos for still playing the game lol. It's over a year of just the base set, this kind of homogenization happens.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
If you have that option you can just start deck sniping or building around completely different metas, which is against the spirit of the game. Like take the Runeterra tournament that just happened, because of how everyone brought three decks but you banned one of your opponent's decks, people could bring a deck that was very good if you could avoid a specific color. The deck can't get that kind of momentum in a normal ladder, but with that check removed, it's significantly stronger. People banning out decks means banning decks they lose to. It'd be so abusable.

Yeah, fair enough. But at the same time, I'm thinking just for casual, it'd be pretty good - like, I'd love to run my deck against some specific colours, so having the option to filter out everything other than those colours to see how it performs would be fantastic. But, yeah, anything that allows filtering can be abused, s'true.

Also if you're coming up against Mono Blue now... well, kudos for still playing the game lol. It's over a year of just the base set, this kind of homogenization happens.

Yeah, it's just a shame that Mono Blue is basically what a lot of people run with - from high levels to newbies, it's basically the all-purpose "it wins but is boring" deck. Even Mono Reds which aim for ToT at Mana 8 seems to have a more varied play style because of the more varied red heroes.

Bah. Anyways. Cannot fricking wait for 2.0. Neeeeeeds it. :D

beta 2.0

Hektor

Community Resettler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deutschland
playartifact.com

Artifact on Steam

Here's the updated road-map:
  1. Test boring stuff
  2. Trickle out invites, starting with players of the original release <- We are here
  3. Work on the Beta, eventually transitioning to an open beta
  4. Leave Beta
Emails will appear by
NEXT WEEK