• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
Batman: The Animated Series- the Phantom city creative collection

Batman Animated

Looks like these have slipped right under my nose. Does anybody here own either one of these books? The Batman Animated one looks better to me, but its also much older and harder to come by. Is it worth buying second hand on ebay?

Thoughts on the Phantom City collection?

I had the first one (gave it to my brother). It's more of a collection of Mondo Batman posters, not really directly from the show

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Geeks-Line continues to be trash in regards to packaging;

R1QGE3a.jpg

Oh well, only slight damage along the top edge, time to actually open it.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Geeks-Line continues to be trash in regards to packaging;

R1QGE3a.jpg

Oh well, only slight damage along the top edge, time to actually open it.

Was that an order you made or Kickstarter? I'm still waiting for my Kickstarter. No tracking info yet. Their communication is quite poor to be honest. Im not sure if I will order from them again.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Was that an order you made or Kickstarter? I'm still waiting for my Kickstarter. No tracking info yet. Their communication is quite poor to be honest. Im not sure if I will order from them again.

Kickstarter. I'm US based, for comparisons sake, and got my shipping notification/tracking on the 20th. Pretty sure the last few kickstarter updates I got from them were shipping related.

To be fair to them the only time I've gotten a book from them severely damaged they sent a replacement, not requiring me to send the damaged item back, after only requesting pictures. Everything I've gotten from them has been packaged in a similar/unprotected way but I am a sucker for the books even if I've only gone though random portions of each of the ones I've gotten from them.

sbdesignworks

Nov 2, 2018
I had the first one (gave it to my brother). It's more of a collection of Mondo Batman posters, not really directly from the show

I have the 2nd one, Batman Animated. Very Highly recommended! It's got a lot of behind the scenes stuff, production notes and more. Covers all season and goes into merchandise and other things connected to the show. If you're a fan of the series, its a must buy!

Hogger

Nov 18, 2017
Do you folks have a preference to Geeks Line or Bitmap? I'd like one of their SNES compendiums and both seem to have similar offerings.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Geeksline is much more in-depth with history about the console & its games (depending on what system, they go over every SNES & N64 game but not with PS1 due to the massive library), where as Bitmap, not counting stuff like their SNK & Metal Slug books, is more about a brief overview of a game but has some good interviews with developers with high quality pictures.

It really depends on what kind of book you want. Do you want a system's detailed history plus possibly a review of every game for the system, or do you want to appreciate boxart, sprite work, & such? Not to say Bitmap doesn't have similar books, as their SNK & Metal Slug books are great with being a neat history lesson while having a bunch of pictures.

Still need to get that Gamecube Anthology book from Geeksline, didn't know the NES one was out. Hell, I still need to read the SNES Hardware book as I finished the Software one a while ago.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Do you folks have a preference to Geeks Line or Bitmap? I'd like one of their SNES compendiums and both seem to have similar offerings.

Geeklines are like a documentary more in-depth and thorough, its exhaustive and complete.

bitmap is like a gallery expo, the content is there but they have the presentation nailed down. Their books are visuals celebrations of the games / systems and each pages are sublimes. Also their packaging are god tier.

I like them both but geeklines are more for history while bitmap are also more pretty to look at and go through

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Mirroring the other responses, bitmap more for the visual aspect and art, and geeks for the text. On the console specific at least. Also for the console specific books the bitmap ones are slightly smaller if that matters at all. Not in page count but in the actual physical size of the book.

Personal preference, I like bitmap more but value both. Bitmap also has an edge if you care a lot about condition as they always ship their books fully protected with edge guards and padding. Again something that may or may not matter to you.

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017

Geeksline books have arrived! I ordered these back in May as a "quarantine" gift for myself - had no idea they would take this long to arrive lol.

Really, really impressed with the quality and build of these things. The content inside seems extremely exhaustive - not only does it cover the library of games (except for the PS1 book) but it has a bunch of accessories, weird box art of cancelled games, marketing promotions, all sorts of things. Excited to dig into these later!

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017

Geeksline books have arrived! I ordered these back in May as a "quarantine" gift for myself - had no idea they would take this long to arrive lol.

Really, really impressed with the quality and build of these things. The content inside seems extremely exhaustive - not only does it cover the library of games (except for the PS1 book) but it has a bunch of accessories, weird box art of cancelled games, marketing promotions, all sorts of things. Excited to dig into these later!

The SNES book is absolutely beefy. Have fun with those!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Whats up with the bundles prices? They are all over the place.
I think some of them are out of print/harder to find and/or offer better editions, such as the SNES Ultimate Edition that has both the Software & Hardware books together.

Granted, I'm with you, some of those prices are nuts, you can probably get them cheaper individually on Amazon, that's how I've been buying them.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
any of uk era know a reliable businesses to sell books to? saw that that the FF guide boxsets are going for £87-120 on ebay and wouldn't mind getting rid of both of them for slightly less than that without any ebay buyer hassle

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an antique/specialty bookshop in your area? Those are the only places I would imagine to be willing to pay in that range.

I think a FF box set would sell reasonably quickly in the B/S/T thread.

Nov 23, 2019
RRT4 ▶︎▶︎▶︎
new Bitmap book

CFOcQQ4.png

A Guide to Japanese Role-Playing Games

Our next release in 2021 is the hotly anticipated, A Guide to Japanese Role-Playing Games. Included are reviews of over 600 games, covering a wide range of sub-genres, including strategy RPGs like Fire Emblem, Rogue-likes such as Mystery Dungeon, and first-person dungeon crawlers like Etrian Odyssey, as well as articles on the genre, its music and art. We're planning to launch A Guide to Japanese Role-Playing Games in May, but will confirm at exact launch date nearer the time. We will reveal much more about this title in our next newsletter.

Tanuki-Go

One Winged Slayer
Jul 21, 2018
US

Huh, I have the SNES book duology and was thinking of picking up the others. I'm guessing they don't cover the PS1's library due to it having like over 7,000 games. lol

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to this one, especially since it's on collaboration with Hardcore Gaming 101. Been keeping an eye for their newsletter for more info, hope we hear more info soon.

Huh, I have the SNES book duology and was thinking of picking up the others. I'm guessing they don't cover the PS1's library due to it having like over 7,000 games. lol
Nah, the PS1 one doesn't, but the NES, N64 & GCN ones do. The N64 one is only one book due to the smaller library of games compared to the other systems. I do wonder if they'll start focusing on Sega consoles now that they've done most of Nintendo's retro consoles, not counting handhelds.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Hit a bit of a snag with scanning the 1001 Nights liner notes. The large format scanner I have access to detects the solid-black pages as the end of the document. So the scans crop out entire paragraphs and images no matter what I do. :(

Surprisingly, Hyperion Animation who was responsible for much of the production work is now owned by Disney. Cels exist in private collections, but only a handful that I'm aware of.

(click to zoom)

k2vmfoN.jpg

LQeNyuF.jpg

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Anyone own Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives? I know its hard to come by nowadays but the Dishonored 2 book is awesome so I was wondering if its worth completing the collection?

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone own Dishonored: The Dunwall Archives? I know its hard to come by nowadays but the Dishonored 2 book is awesome so I was wondering if its worth completing the collection?

I have it. It's not a proper artbook. Its a lorebook illustrated.

Its fascinating because Dishonored lore is, but its smaller in size and not a proper artbook. Still worth a look if you are into Dishonored universe, lore and in game art (portraits, brands & products, technologies...)

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
I have it. It's not a proper artbook. Its a lorebook illustrated.

Its fascinating because Dishonored lore is, but its smaller in size and not a proper artbook. Still worth a look if you are into Dishonored universe, lore and in game art (portraits, brands & products, technologies...)

Hmmm...thats a bit discouraging. I do like Dishonored lore but not enough to pay an inflated price on ebay for it. I'll have to think twice about it. Thank you!

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Pac-Man book is available to preorder, coming out July 30th:

www.cookandbecker.com

Book Pac-Man: Birth of an Icon | Pac-Man | BANDAI NAMCO

Buy the first-ever official history book on PAC-MAN. We ship worldwide.

$40 for the standard

$100 for the Collector's Edition to which there's 2000 of & gets you a slipcase, special token, & a vinyl pressing of Pac-Man Fever

$300 for the signed & numbered version of the Collector's Edition, signed by Toru Iwatani aka Pac-Man's creator.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Pac-Man book is available to preorder, coming out July 30th:

www.cookandbecker.com

Book Pac-Man: Birth of an Icon | Pac-Man | BANDAI NAMCO

Buy the first-ever official history book on PAC-MAN. We ship worldwide.

$40 for the standard

$100 for the Collector's Edition to which there's 2000 of & gets you a slipcase, special token, & a vinyl pressing of Pac-Man Fever

$300 for the signed & numbered version of the Collector's Edition, signed by Toru Iwatani aka Pac-Man's creator.

I'm not huge into Pac-man, but this looks cool. I kind of wish there were more books like this for older franchises.

I might consider this.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not huge into Pac-man, but this looks cool. I kind of wish there were more books like this for older franchises.

I might consider this.

This is where I am. The very few cook and becker things I've gotten have been high quality and even though I'm not the biggest into Pac-man it may be good for the history. Standard doesn't seem overpriced either Even though I'm still a sucker for nicer packaging...

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like another top notch book from C&B. It looks really well put together. I would consider the standard edition if they had free shipping.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have a copy. I actually prefer it to the Dishonored 2 artbook. Though the Dunwall Archives is more of a lore guide than an artbook as it has a lot more text.

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
The slip case is in two part and I legit adore the design :

10-PACMAN-CE-half-side-view.png

09-PACMAN-CE-top-view-total.png

The second slip case eats the first. How cool is that ! I have no interst for this book because I have no particular attachement to Pac Man, but C&B putting some good works it seems, once again.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Spectrum 25. I don't know how well-known it is outside of fantasy circles, but it's basically an award for outstanding illustration. I picked out two of my favorite painters from this annual, Erik Gist and Seb McKinnon.

The cover artwork is from Paul Bonner.

qeanHOd.jpg

Erik Gist "God of War" for Dark Horse Comics

NJjYSxo.jpg

Seb McKinnon "Statsis" for Wizards of the Coast/Magic the Gathering

k8Tw2aa.jpg

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
Got a delivery date for the Control artbook from Amazon

New estimated delivery date:
Thursday, February 4, 2021 - Thursday, February 11, 2021

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Picked up Spectrum 25. I don't know how well-known it is outside of fantasy circles, but it's basically an award for outstanding illustration. I picked out two of my favorite painters from this annual, Erik Gist and Seb McKinnon.
I've never bought one, but I usually see those when I go looking in the local bookstores.