• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London

And another three unpublished titles coming too according to their bibliography page:
www.bitmapbooks.com

Bitmap Books' bibliography – Every title and variant | Bitmap Books

Want a complete list of every Bitmap Books' title published, including variants and reprints – and essential information such as year and ISBN? We've got you covered.
Football, GBA pixel art, and games of a lifetime.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
And another three unpublished titles coming too according to their bibliography page:
www.bitmapbooks.com

Bitmap Books' bibliography – Every title and variant | Bitmap Books

Want a complete list of every Bitmap Books' title published, including variants and reprints – and essential information such as year and ISBN? We've got you covered.
Football, GBA pixel art, and games of a lifetime.
There's also the second volume of the FPS retrospective on the way.

Apr 19, 2018
I'll probably do a bundled order with Bitmap once their Run 'N Gun book becomes available, and I'm thinking of going for The King of Fighters: The Ultimate History next. For those who own or have seen it, how is it from a conceptual / art book perspective? Does it boast a comprehensive collection of KoF art pieces, or would you say the focus is more on the pixel and sprite art?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably do a bundled order with Bitmap once their Run 'N Gun book becomes available, and I'm thinking of going for The King of Fighters: The Ultimate History. For those who own or have seen it, how is it from a conceptual / art book perspective? Does it boast a comprehensive collection of KoF art pieces, or would you say the focus is more on the pixel and sprite art?
Perhaps 30% retrospective & interviews, 70% artwork/pictures with some captions if I can recall. There's concept art & promotional stuff, then a section that details stuff like the background artwork, character sprites, and screenshots, & ends with some interviews for multiple people. Even as someone who isn't a huge KoF fan, it was still a cool read to look behind the scenes.

To give a comparison, I have the NeoGeo & Metal Slug books as well & more easily available, and looking through them, they're similar in structure, moreso the Metal Slug one.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'll probably do a bundled order with Bitmap once their Run 'N Gun book becomes available, and I'm thinking of going for The King of Fighters: The Ultimate History next. For those who own or have seen it, how is it from a conceptual / art book perspective? Does it boast a comprehensive collection of KoF art pieces, or would you say the focus is more on the pixel and sprite art?
Same for me except with the Metal Slug book. I've had my eye on that one for ages.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Same for me except with the Metal Slug book. I've had my eye on that one for ages.
As mentioned above, the Metal Slug one is fantastic. Even dives into the GBA & NGPC titles, plus In The Hunt & Gun Force 2. I gave in & nabbed the limited edition where I got a sweet glow in the dark poster of the tank schematics & the slip cover that has all the different weapons and you can push them to have the announcer say the line.

Apr 19, 2018
Perhaps 30% retrospective & interviews, 70% artwork/pictures with some captions if I can recall. There's concept art & promotional stuff, then a section that details stuff like the background artwork, character sprites, and screenshots, & ends with some interviews for multiple people. Even as someone who isn't a huge KoF fan, it was still a cool read to look behind the scenes.

To give a comparison, I have the NeoGeo & Metal Slug books as well & more easily available, and looking through them, they're similar in structure, moreso the Metal Slug one.

Sounds good to me! I just spotted a snapshot online of KoF's table of contents, which yup, seems to be broken down by section, with 206 pages appearing to be devoted to character and key art, and 216 pages for game art. Seems like they've struck a nice balance there.

Like Zonic, I too own the Metal Slug book. While it isn't categorized by specific material content like the King of Fighters one appears to be, I did a manual count for a total of approximately 102 pages devoted to conceptual + key art work across the entirety of its 452 pages. I can't speak to just how definitive the book is in terms of featuring all available conceptual art ever created for the Metal Slug series, but in terms of key and character art, they do appear to feature every piece that I can remember. If you're a fan of the series' sprite and pixel art, though, you'll be in hog heaven as the book is positively BURSTING at the seams with incredible showcase spreads.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Got this rather rambling email about delays to Blasphemous 2 art book:
As you may know, in early April we had to announce that The Art of Blasphemous II would be delayed because it did not meet our quality standards. We wanted to give you the perfect book.

The reason was that we wanted to add an extra feature to the cover that would give the book a more premium look without increasing the price.

This meant that the book had to go through an additional process at the printer and the waiting time for us to receive the copies was longer.

In order not to delay delivery too much, the printer has committed to sending us the necessary books to fulfill all pre-orders for the Collector's Edition in an additional week. Therefore, we set the new release dates to April 25th for the Collector's Edition and May 2nd for the Standard Edition.

However, due to an internal problem, the printer is not keeping to the agreed-upon schedule and is delivering the books in dribs and drabs, which means that we still have some pre-orders to ship, including yours (which is why you are receiving this email). Today we have received half of the expected books again, forcing us to make this announcement to inform you of the situation.

Of course, this also affects the Standard Edition (Amazon, bookstores...), which have received only half of the expected stock.

If it were up to us, we would have shipped all the pre-orders a week ago. But we are tied up with the printer, and the only thing we can do is ship the books as we receive them.

According to a meeting we had with the printer today, their problem is solved and they will be delivering all the missing copies in the first days of next week, so if that happens, we will have all the books out in a few days.

Our first priority is to get everything out as quickly as possible.

We appreciate your understanding and patience in this matter.

-Reivax-

Oct 27, 2017
What site would you recommend for buying older (second-hand) Japanese-only artbooks (other than ebay)?

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
What site would you recommend for buying older (second-hand) Japanese-only artbooks (other than ebay)?

Book Off

本を売るならBOOKOFF(ブックオフ)

本を売るならブックオフ♪でおなじみのBOOKOFF公式サイト。もちろん本だけではなく、CD・DVD・ゲーム、おもちゃやトレカ・家電・携帯・洋服(古着)など、さまざまな商品を買取・販売しています。

-Reivax-

Oct 27, 2017
Book Off

本を売るならBOOKOFF(ブックオフ)

本を売るならブックオフ♪でおなじみのBOOKOFF公式サイト。もちろん本だけではなく、CD・DVD・ゲーム、おもちゃやトレカ・家電・携帯・洋服(古着)など、さまざまな商品を買取・販売しています。
How does this work exactly? When I select the 'English' option it just leads me to a description of the store locations in Japan.

Trrzs

Oct 29, 2017

View: https://twitter.com/scrnshtz/status/1787221521586397561?t=XGHP7UMsM53d2Sehiicirw&s=19

Hey guys! I'm a new artbook collector since I'm a clay artist I like them to have inspiration for my sculptures, this is my little collection.

I'm gonna order the Persona 5, Xenoblade Chronicles 1,2 and X artbooks on Amazon Japan, I'm not a fan of soft covers books but I think those didn't release on NA or Europe. Do you know if there's a place when I can order (I'm from Mexico) Bayonetta 1/2 and Splatoon artbooks from Dark Horse? Thanks in advance

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I thought I'd share my ever-growing collection of gaming and gaming-adjacent books, in the hope that other people might find some inspiration here.
  • Most of these are books about gaming: game history, biographies, criticism, analysis, design, journalism, philosophy and deep-dives on specific titles like Bioshock or Zelda.
  • The rest are a mix of artbooks, graphic novels, comics, novels and guides. I have more guides but didn't photo them all, as they're not as interesting.
  • Some SF and movie artbooks too, eg Tech Noir about James Cameron, and some RPG.
  • The images get compressed when posting, but the originals are hi res. So you'll need to zoom in to see some of the titles, or click on the image link and then zoom in.
Hope others find some ideas and inspiration from these! 💙

OP
OP
UnluckyKate

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
I thought I'd share my ever-growing collection of gaming and gaming-adjacent books, in the hope that other people might find some inspiration here.
  • Most of these are books about gaming: game history, biographies, criticism, analysis, design, journalism, philosophy and deep-dives on specific titles like Bioshock or Zelda.
  • The rest are a mix of artbooks, graphic novels, comics, novels and guides. I have more guides but didn't photo them all, as they're not as interesting.
  • Some SF and movie artbooks too, eg Tech Noir about James Cameron, and some RPG.
  • The images get compressed when posting, but the originals are hi res. So you'll need to zoom in to see some of the titles, or click on the image link and then zoom in.

I kept scrolling and scrolling and scrolling

jesus so many books it never ends

amazing collection

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
I kept scrolling and scrolling and scrolling

jesus so many books it never ends

amazing collection
Oh thank you! Hope you find some interesting titles in there. Artbooks are pretty easy to identify, as you know. But I've spent months searching for books about gaming, as it's a relatively new field.

Also my bank account thanks me I'm not into JRPGs lol

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
50% off Double Fine 20-year artbook here, £20 with cheap UK shipping.
indiebydesign.net

20 Double Fine Years: Standard Edition

Join us on a journey through the mind and creations of Double Fine Productions, The World’s Most Excellent Video Game Development TeamTM! Led by Tim Schafer, Double Fine is about creativity, stories and fun, its games having brought joy to zillions (millions, probably, but still pretty good)...
Or legend edition here, 50% off too, but ships from US so expensive.
indiebydesign.net

20 Double Fine Years: Legend Edition (Limited)

Limited Run Only. Join us on a journey through the mind and creations of Double Fine Productions, The World’s Most Excellent Video Game Development TeamTM! Led by Tim Schafer, Double Fine is about creativity, stories and fun, its games having brought joy to zillions (millions, probably, but...

dcchambers

Jan 28, 2020

Wow, that's a beautiful collection! Looks like many are yet to be opened...curious - are you just collecting and hoping to preserve them or do you go through them? Which ones are you favorites? Are there any you consider essential to own?

Last edited:

alexdotgames

Dec 5, 2021

Beautiful collection. I didn't spot Ideology and the Virtual City by Jon Bales, though, which I consider essential reading when analysing video games critically. So that's definitely a recommendation!

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
Lowrys this might interest you. It finally arrived:

MMF1Lyv.jpeg

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

Damn, I'm going to have to raid your ludology shelf

jonamok

Oct 28, 2017
PSA: The gorgeous Soul Arts book from Tune & Fairweather is 50% off on their website while stocks last. Think the offer expires in another day or so.

Took my purchase down from £102 inc shipping to £58. On top of that, the code SAVE20 is currently working to knock it down to under £50 delivered. It was only the cost that was stopping me previously. Bought.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
didn't see anything posted on this but I feel like we're missing this one.

Sky : Children of the Light from ThatGameCompany (you know the people who made Journey)

thatskyshop.com

The Art of Sky

Limitless love in Sky's infinite blue.Endless light within, hues ever true.You are the vibrant color, our guiding star.In Sky's realm, our dreams soar afar. Introducing Sky’s First Edition Art Book, thoughtfully presented as a special deluxe collector’s set. In this artfully curated visual...

W11-Book-Theartofsky-Cover-Leftfrontview_533x.jpg

Page-TheArtOfSky-Page7_940x.jpg

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
didn't see anything posted on this but I feel like we're missing this one.

Sky : Children of the Light from ThatGameCompany (you know the people who made Journey)

thatskyshop.com

The Art of Sky

Limitless love in Sky's infinite blue.Endless light within, hues ever true.You are the vibrant color, our guiding star.In Sky's realm, our dreams soar afar. Introducing Sky’s First Edition Art Book, thoughtfully presented as a special deluxe collector’s set. In this artfully curated visual...
Yeah, it was mentioned back in February. Total nonsense price.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, it was mentioned back in February. Total nonsense price.
I guess I missed it.

It is a bit steep for a book with less than 300 pages but this is special order so I have no idea what they're doing with the manufacturing but it feels like they could have gone cheaper than whatever the hell they're doing.
Also we're probably not going to get another Sky artbook :/
And since each copy is numbered, there's quite a good chance that whatever the number of preorder is going to be the number of copies that exists for this.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
hades 2 got me jonesing for a supergiant book come onnnnn feeed meeeee

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
50% off Double Fine 20-year artbook here, £20 with cheap UK shipping.
indiebydesign.net

20 Double Fine Years: Standard Edition

Join us on a journey through the mind and creations of Double Fine Productions, The World’s Most Excellent Video Game Development TeamTM! Led by Tim Schafer, Double Fine is about creativity, stories and fun, its games having brought joy to zillions (millions, probably, but still pretty good)...
Or legend edition here, 50% off too, but ships from US so expensive.
indiebydesign.net

20 Double Fine Years: Legend Edition (Limited)

Limited Run Only. Join us on a journey through the mind and creations of Double Fine Productions, The World’s Most Excellent Video Game Development TeamTM! Led by Tim Schafer, Double Fine is about creativity, stories and fun, its games having brought joy to zillions (millions, probably, but...

Agh thanks for this! Definitely going to bite at that price.

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
Can't find a non-Japan link to buy anywhere.

Only place to get it right now. Got to wait for Dark Horse or whoever to announce the English version, as duckroll said. I don't think we have missed a Zelda artbook so think it's safe to assume this will also get a translation.

Now the sword replica on the other hand...