• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 395 63.8%
  • iPad

Votes: 448 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 536 86.6%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.5%
  • Airpods

Votes: 406 65.6%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 310 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Does Monterey do anything weird with window management? Just setting up my laptop now and whenever it sleeps the displays then wakes up, all my windows get pushed down onto my laptop screen - never an issue on big sur so maybe I'm missing a setting? I want windows to stay where I put them unless there literally isn't a monitor attached

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Does Monterey do anything weird with window management? Just setting up my laptop now and whenever it sleeps the displays then wakes up, all my windows get pushed down onto my laptop screen - never an issue on big sur so maybe I'm missing a setting? I want windows to stay where I put them unless there literally isn't a monitor attached
Doesn't happen for me on Monterey.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
IMG_6959.jpg

new Unity watch band

Damn that's nice, I've got last year's one but this one is gorgeous. Been wanting a Solo Loop for ages and think I'll finally bite. That watch face is available in the app now.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Whats with Apple Music's weird obsession to disable the back button? I kinda get "emulating" the radio "experience" for something like personal stations (altough it sucks there as well) but currently I'm just listening to a single artist and the back button is disabled as well. #

Would not suck as much if Apple Music was really snappy, but, well, its not. When switching songs takes two seconds and you get impatient the chance of accidentally skipping once Apple Music finally catches up is getting pretty high. Really nice to add a personal "fuck you you'll never see this song again" by disabling the back button.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone know how to get Google fonts to show up on Keynote? I have a bunch of fonts installed through Font Book but they won't appear in the font selection in keynote.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Unlisted App support coming whereby you can download apps from the app store via a link.

Release your apps that aren't suited for public distribution as unlisted on the App Store, discoverable only with a direct link. Unlisted apps don't appear in any App Store categories, recommendations, charts, search results, or other listings.

Pretty big news, some apps ( I use) are only accesible via Testflight and there's a quota for that.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Whats with Apple Music's weird obsession to disable the back button? I kinda get "emulating" the radio "experience" for something like personal stations (altough it sucks there as well) but currently I'm just listening to a single artist and the back button is disabled as well. #

Would not suck as much if Apple Music was really snappy, but, well, its not. When switching songs takes two seconds and you get impatient the chance of accidentally skipping once Apple Music finally catches up is getting pretty high. Really nice to add a personal "fuck you you'll never see this song again" by disabling the back button.

what do you mean by 'back button'? Like where in the app are you looking for that?

Mar 3, 2018
So what's the consensus on the apple MagSafe battery pack? Thinking about grabbing one for my 13 pro. Any alternatives that are on par?

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Anyone else getting some issues with Apple Music these past few days?
It basically refuses to play some tracks (even when they're supposed to be downloaded on my phone) and I'm forced to shut down the app to do anything. Takes a few resets of the app to finally be able to listen to them, it's almost unusable. Also getting downloads that never star
Wondering what could be the issue, it still happens after shutting down my phone.

Doubt it's a network issue on my end, I can use other apps just fine.

Using an iPhone 11, iOS 15.2.1 (also had the same problem when I was still on 14.8 yesterday).
Update about this : no more problems regarding my downloads but yeah, I just can't play anything that's not on my phone, I have no idea why.
Apple Music works fine on my iPad, using the same wi-fi I connect my phone to so I doubt it's a network issue on my end.
Dunno what I can do about it.

EDIT : huh, everything works when I force my iPhone to use 3G and not 4G/wi-fi. Guess these two are somehow shitting the bed. Maybe it comes from my carrier.

Last edited:

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
Update about this : no more problems regarding my downloads but yeah, I just can't play anything that's not on my phone, I have no idea why.
Apple Music works fine on my iPad, using the same wi-fi I connect my phone to so I doubt it's a network issue on my end.
Dunno what I can do about it.

EDIT : huh, everything works when I force my iPhone to use 3G and not 4G/wi-fi. Guess these two are somehow shitting the bed. Maybe it comes from my carrier.

I think it's a carrier thing. Had similar issues a few months back and it seems there's a lot of support forum threads about it. Lasted about a month and then….just miraculously started working again. Was damn annoying though

I think he's referring to the Android Apple Music app?

ah

coopolon

Oct 25, 2017
I've never gone with beta os on apple devices, but I really want universal control. Can anyone comment on stability of macos betas? Are they usually pretty good or am I likely to run into issues?

FliX

Master of the Reality Stone
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Say, I have a question to troubleshoot.

Sharing Profile Name and Picture is great in iMessage, but it doesn't seem to be working consistently. I have friends on iMessage that do not see my profile thought I have it set to share with all my contacts. Is there any way to force push it through? I've already tried turning the feature off and on again to no avail and google isn't brining anything useful up...

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
thinking of getting an apple pencil. i want to get back into drawing. i used to love drawing in high school and studied art so done some painting/sketching etc. never done any kind of digital art but it makes sense to use my ipad instead of buying paper and sketching pencils/paints etc.

anyone who has one what are your thoughts? about cheapest i can get one is £114. some second hand ones are about £80 on ebay still that seems a lot. i was looking at other options but i'm not sure. there'sthing like pressure sensor, falm rejection and so on. some pencils don't seem to have all the features. i only really want an apple pencil cause i think it'll "Just work" with my iPad.

my ipad is the 11" 2021 pro. i have Affinity Photo but don't know if that'd be any good for drawing. Seen a lot of people mention Procreate so i guess i'd get that.

Jill Sandwich

Oct 25, 2017
I decided to splurge on some Beats Fit Pro to help with Couch to 5k. I've been waiting for these to become available in the UK as normal AirPods fall out of my ear and the Powerbeats were getting on a bit. Should be here in a day or two!

ClassAndFear

Oct 30, 2017
thinking of getting an apple pencil. i want to get back into drawing. i used to love drawing in high school and studied art so done some painting/sketching etc. never done any kind of digital art but it makes sense to use my ipad instead of buying paper and sketching pencils/paints etc.

anyone who has one what are your thoughts? about cheapest i can get one is £114. some second hand ones are about £80 on ebay still that seems a lot. i was looking at other options but i'm not sure. there'sthing like pressure sensor, falm rejection and so on. some pencils don't seem to have all the features. i only really want an apple pencil cause i think it'll "Just work" with my iPad.

my ipad is the 11" 2021 pro. i have Affinity Photo but don't know if that'd be any good for drawing. Seen a lot of people mention Procreate so i guess i'd get that.
Honestly? Bite the bullet. It's amazing. I use it mostly for writing and editing, but I love it, and it does just work, and it works exceptionally well. The charging with your iPad is amazing as well (assuming we're talking the pencil 2)

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Honestly? Bite the bullet. It's amazing. I use it mostly for writing and editing, but I love it, and it does just work, and it works exceptionally well. The charging with your iPad is amazing as well (assuming we're talking the pencil 2)
Yeah it's the gen 2. I like how it attaches to the side of the iPad to charge. I'll probably pick it up this week then :)

lunarworks

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
This macOS 12.2 update is kinda not very good.

Twice I've had it kernel panic while sleeping, and Music.app randomly crashes out of nowhere from time to time.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah it's the gen 2. I like how it attaches to the side of the iPad to charge. I'll probably pick it up this week then :)
You'll love it. I got one and I don't even draw. It's just a fantastic luxury for a great device.

The magnetic charging vs the crappy lightning port from the first gen is a massive improvement.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Bought a 2nd Generation Apple TV 4K to replace my 1st Generation Apple TV 4K just to move from Wi-Fi 5 up to Wi-Fi 6 in hopes that it smooths out my Steam Link/AMD Link experience before I completely give up and start cutting holes in walls to start stringing ethernet cable in the house.

That being said, I have the previously owned Apple TV up in the B/S/T thread if anyone is interested in dipping their toe into that pool.

Mafro

Oct 25, 2017
Got my Black Unity Solo Loop today. Perfect fit and daaamn it looks nice. I think it looks better with last year's Black Unity face compared to this year's one though.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a 2nd Generation Apple TV 4K to replace my 1st Generation Apple TV 4K just to move from Wi-Fi 5 up to Wi-Fi 6 in hopes that it smooths out my Steam Link/AMD Link experience before I completely give up and start cutting holes in walls to start stringing ethernet cable in the house.

That being said, I have the previously owned Apple TV up in the B/S/T thread if anyone is interested in dipping their toe into that pool.

Never had a great experience with Steam Link on WiFi unfortunately... Hope it works though. One thing I'd like from Apple is 120Hz mode for the new TV 4K. It works great for Moonlight (Nvidia) on iPad Pro. I bought the new TV over the cheaper older model due to its HDMI 2.1 support but they haven't updated the software to take advantage of it yet that I've seen.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
This macOS 12.2 update is kinda not very good.

Twice I've had it kernel panic while sleeping, and Music.app randomly crashes out of nowhere from time to time.
Weird. I haven't had any issues yet. No sleep panics at all. (Used to have them way back a couple years ago though) But I also don't launch Music.app that often unless I'm creating a playlist or updating the order since for some godawful reason iTunes Match on my iPhone doesn't automatically update the playlist order unless I delete it and recreate it. (Sometimes I wish I'd just stuck to old fashioned manual wired syncing because shit actually worked there.)

Emwitus

The Fallen
Feb 28, 2018
I've never gone with beta os on apple devices, but I really want universal control. Can anyone comment on stability of macos betas? Are they usually pretty good or am I likely to run into issues?
Using them on everyone of my Main devices and I'm a cheapskate (MacBook, IPad Pro, 13). No catastrophic issues so far after a year of being on betas. (Knocks on wood).

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Hey guys, my daughter has an iphone 8 64gb and she wants a new one without breaking the bank so she's looking at a refurbished XR for 400 euros. I thought that one is perhaps a bit old already and might be worth getting a different one or waiting for a new XR type? What do you think? I have no idea about iphones lol

Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, my daughter has an iphone 8 64gb and she wants a new one without breaking the bank so she's looking at a refurbished XR for 400 euros. I thought that one is perhaps a bit old already and might be worth getting a different one or waiting for a new XR type? What do you think? I have no idea about iphones lol

The non pro 11/12/13s are the successors of the XR fwiw. 400 for a refurb XR sounds like a not that great a deal IMO, but that maybe used iPhones are more expensive in Europe?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I think you can get a used 128gb for around 300-350 US dollars. Apple is selling a new Iphone 11 for 500 dollars.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Hello Apple Era!

Just pulled the trigger on going for an iPhone 13 (regular) after mulling it for a while ever since I bought my Apple TV last year and having a great experience. Also made the switch from Spotify to Apple Music. It's going to be my first iPhone ever, always been with Android ever since I got my first smartphone which was a Galaxy S3! Also bought my first pair of wireless earbuds (bought a pair of ear (1) ).

My rationale about Android was always that I liked the "freedom" it gave me, but in reality I never really use it. I just like to plug and play, use the official apps and do my thing within the perimeters of the devices I buy. So reading a bit more about it, I thought Apple products would be a better fit for me in that regard.

If anyone has any tip regarding of Apps to get, important settings to not forget to activate, all that kind of stuff, I'd appreciate it! I'm going to look at some Youtube videos but won't hurt to ask here too.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Hello Apple Era!

Just pulled the trigger on going for an iPhone 13 (regular) after mulling it for a while ever since I bought my Apple TV last year and having a great experience. Also made the switch from Spotify to Apple Music. It's going to be my first iPhone ever, always been with Android ever since I got my first smartphone which was a Galaxy S3! Also bought my first pair of wireless earbuds (bought a pair of ear (1) ).

My rationale about Android was always that I liked the "freedom" it gave me, but in reality I never really use it. I just like to plug and play, use the official apps and do my thing within the perimeters of the devices I buy. So reading a bit more about it, I thought Apple products would be a better fit for me in that regard.

If anyone has any tip regarding of Apps to get, important settings to not forget to activate, all that kind of stuff, I'd appreciate it! I'm going to look at some Youtube videos but won't hurt to ask here too.

If you have an Apple store in your town, I'd recommend Apple Care+ for the phone. For Apple Music I subscribe to the Apple One basic tier which also gives a bit of iCloud storage (for phone backups), TV and Apple Arcade (which I rarely play). Think it worked out to be about the same cost as Spotify + iCloud - maybe a bit less.

I don't use that many apps, but I like WeatherLine for the widget, Apollo for Reddit (with the Open in Apollo Safari extension enabled). And another Safari Extension I like is Noir (~$2) - which adds dark mode to Safari web pages that don't have it.

Still haven't found an adblock extension I like.

My old Android had an LED light for notifications which I missed on iPhone. Under accessibility settings > Audio/Visual > LED Flash for Alerts you can turn on the camera flash for when notifications come in. That helps because I usually keep the phone on silent and you can hardly miss the bright flash when those come in.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Xbox Cloud Gaming just completely boggles my mind. So I have both a M1 iPad Pro and a A12Z iPad Pro, and consistently the M1 iPad Pro's performance is completely unplayable, while the A12Z is perfectly fine (some minor audio glitches, but especially on less action filled games, it's perfectly enjoyable).

Here, let me illustrate with Hades, the most extreme example:

I can barely even start the game on the M1, forget about playing it. While the A12Z has some audio glitches, but was pretty responsive. I've got a 600Mbit connection (speed tested) on both, so that's fine. I even hooked up the M1 to Ethernet. I tried both with controller and without controller, connected to power or not, all same results. The A12Z will run games fine, the M1 will consistently hang, by a blocky mess, and have the biggest input lag.

I am so confused as to why this would be.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Aiii WIfi in my 12.9" Pro also acts very weird and I think I'll get it checked by Apple because of that before the warranty runs out. It just feels laggy and worse than every other Apple device we use in our household. It's very random though.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
Aiii WIfi in my 12.9" Pro also acts very weird and I think I'll get it checked by Apple because of that before the warranty runs out. It just feels laggy and worse than every other Apple device we use in our household. It's very random though.

Aiii did say they tried hooking up the M1 iPad to ethernet to no avail.
Because, at first, i too would have assumed that, maybe the M1 has an ever so slightly different WiFi assembly that might be the differentiator here - not the M1s performance decoding an xCloud video stream...

Kensation

Enlightened
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Hello Apple Era!

The killer app is the integration with the rest of the Apple ecosystem.

aarstar

Oct 29, 2017
Xbox Cloud Gaming just completely boggles my mind. So I have both a M1 iPad Pro and a A12Z iPad Pro, and consistently the M1 iPad Pro's performance is completely unplayable, while the A12Z is perfectly fine (some minor audio glitches, but especially on less action filled games, it's perfectly enjoyable).
Do you happen to have Adguard or some VPN on the Pro? Just wondering what else could be different. My wifi connection isn't that good, but I just tried Hades on my 11 inch 2021 Pro and it worked fairly well with a couple hiccups.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Do you happen to have Adguard or some VPN on the Pro? Just wondering what else could be different. My wifi connection isn't that good, but I just tried Hades on my 11 inch 2021 Pro and it worked fairly well with a couple hiccups.
Both devices are carbon copies of one another (literally, only just last month I copied one device to the other). But no VPN, no other shenanigans. I've tried it with Private Relay on or off, as said, with ethernet, I tried turning off Content Blockers for the domain and even re-adding the icon to the home screen after doing so to make sure. But it makes no difference.

I think at this point it's unlikely to be network related, honestly. I was hoping it was just some difference between the M1 and A12Z chip being the culprit, but if you're not experiencing issues than that's unlikely too. Could it be something as silly as the screen size difference? That seems unlikely too.

Perhaps I should escalate directly to Microsoft, though they'll probably won't be able to do anything about it either and blame it on the device somehow. It's just so weird and puzzling that the older technically inferior product is performing so much better.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
You could try this. Runs like shit on my 12.9", too btw.

I just tried one of the tricks in that thread — requesting the mobile site in Safari — and it seemed to improve performance. However, I didn't test it both ways back to back, so it's not a perfect comparison.
This did fix it for me, where the Desktop version constantly shits the bed, the mobile version on the M1 now performs roughly the same as the A12Z does (even though that is running the desktop version). So my new theory is that it's somehow the screen size that makes Xbox choose a different stream. I don't immediately notice any quality differences, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Regardless, it's playable now and that's good enough for me, thanks.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This did fix it for me, where the Desktop version constantly shits the bed, the mobile version on the M1 now performs roughly the same as the A12Z does (even though that is running the desktop version). So my new theory is that it's somehow the screen size that makes Xbox choose a different stream. I don't immediately notice any quality differences, but that's the only thing I can think of.

Regardless, it's playable now and that's good enough for me, thanks.
But it's crazy that the M1 can't power a stream. That must be a bug. I think it's worth reporting the issue to MS.

I tried the mobile page in Edge and the Stream seems to be much lower resolution than the lagging one in Safari

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
But it's crazy that the M1 can't power a stream. That must be a bug. I think it's worth reporting the issue to MS.

I tried the mobile page in Edge and the Stream seems to be much lower resolution than the lagging one in Safari
Yeah that's a weird one. The mobile/desktop switch presumably changes user agent (what the device reports the browser as), but it might also switch up the viewport size (more or less what the window dimensions are). Another thing to try would be the size setting to see if that affects anything, cause that one might also change up the viewport. In either case I could see that affecting what quality stream is chosen by the server, although ultimately it should do it by the network conditions.

Btw if you haven't figured out how to make the desktop/mobile toggle stay one way or the other for a particular site, it sticks if you change it in the Website Settings in that same menu. If you want to change the global default for whatever reason, that's in the Safari settings under the system settings app. I believe the size one sticks per site automatically.

(there's also a billion other experimental settings available but if you've never messed with them presumably it should be the same between iPads)

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
If I have a 13in M1 MacBook Pro and I can get a 14in M1 Pro for $1,749.99 (from Costco) - another $500 from trading in my M1, should I do it? I'm a creative director and I use my MacBook Pro for mostly graphic design and creating/handling huge documents for print among other things.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
If I have a 13in M1 MacBook Pro and I can get a 14in M1 Pro for $1,749.99 (from Costco) - another $500 from trading in my M1, should I do it? I'm a creative director and I use my MacBook Pro for mostly graphic design and creating/handling huge documents for print among other things.
I mean, do you feel like your current 13" isn't handling your workload? If it is (and I suspect it is), then upgrading is a waste. Wait another couple years until the upgrade will actually be noticeable for you.