• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What Apple Products do You have?

• Mac

Votes: 395 63.8%
  • iPad

Votes: 448 72.4%
  • iPhone

Votes: 536 86.6%
  • Watch

Votes: 368 59.5%
  • Airpods

Votes: 406 65.6%
  • AppleTV

Votes: 310 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
I mean, do you feel like your current 13" isn't handling your workload? If it is (and I suspect it is), then upgrading is a waste. Wait another couple years until the upgrade will actually be noticeable for you.
I think for the most part, my bottle necks have been related to having a lot of cloud drive activity in my workflow.

But, apart from that, some websites are just chewing threw ram for some reason, causing harsh slow down. I'm probably going to have to turn ad blocker on for Reset Era because of it. (I assume its some of the ads.)

Last edited:

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Went ahead and decided the current $100 off sale at some retailers (Best Buy and Target that I know of) was the time to finally grab an iPad Air, and now I finally have another iPad after kinda missing mine after making the swap from my old 2018 iPad Pro w/Magic Keyboard to my M1 MacBook Air. There's some things that I genuinely have better use for an iPad with, while my MacBook is better at most things I need.

It's been between the Air and the Mini since the Mini launched and I think for my needs, the 11-inch form factor just works a bit better.

I'll also occasionally use SideCar and Continuity (after it launches)!

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Went ahead and decided the current $100 off sale at some retailers (Best Buy and Target that I know of) was the time to finally grab an iPad Air, and now I finally have another iPad after kinda missing mine after making the swap from my old 2018 iPad Pro w/Magic Keyboard to my M1 MacBook Air. There's some things that I genuinely have better use for an iPad with, while my MacBook is better at most things I need.

It's been between the Air and the Mini since the Mini launched and I think for my needs, the 11-inch form factor just works a bit better.

I'll also occasionally use SideCar and Continuity (after it launches)!
You might wanna consider holding off for one more month as apparentley new iPads are coming early march:

9to5mac.com

Apple planning March 8 event, here's what to expect - 9to5Mac

Apple is currently "targeting a date on or near March 8" for its first event of the year. Here's everything to expect at the event.

bremon

Oct 27, 2017
I'd pay an extra $100 for an A15 and Centre Stage but it won't make an appreciable difference in performance thanks to iPadOS being the main hindrance.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
You might wanna consider holding off for one more month as apparentley new iPads are coming early march:

9to5mac.com

Apple planning March 8 event, here's what to expect - 9to5Mac

Apple is currently "targeting a date on or near March 8" for its first event of the year. Here's everything to expect at the event.

I'd pay an extra $100 for an A15 and Centre Stage but it won't make an appreciable difference in performance thanks to iPadOS being the main hindrance.

Yeah I've been aware of the impending update but went ahead with the current model as it meets all my needs for an iPad now at a lower price. I don't use video conferencing enough (and don't move enough when I do) to justify center stage at the higher cost.

Since my last iPad was my primary computer, setting up this new one has been kind of challenging for me since it serves a far more basic role. I did so much more with my UI (app and widget placement) with my last one that just an is no longer necessary with my more limited use cases for the new one. So my UI needs are relatively basic and it feels constantly "unfinished".

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Looks like AT&T has a few iPhone 12 Mini cases on clearance. Picked up both a black leather and a brown leather case for $10 each along with a white silicone case for $10 as well.

I've been eyeballing the sunflower silicone case as my launch navy case is starting to peel, but it's hard to beat $10.

Also well overdue for a new screen protector...those are always fun...sigh.

In other news...man do I want a 24" iMac. My 2016 Macbook Pro is starting to feel sluggish (dual-core processor in 2022, yikes) but I figure this point its best to wait for a refresh. Hopefully that happens sooner than later.

In other other news my wife's iPhone XR is due for a battery replacement and is overall giving her sporatic issues...plus reception isn't that great. I'm trying to nail down a pink iPhone 13 for her at Best Buy as they have the best trade-in offer going but there's nothing available locally.

Worst case scenario we're taking a bit of a road trip to a location out of town on Saturday to snatch up one.

Last edited:

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
AirTag update

In response to the stalking concerns, Apple is adding a warning to the iPhone when a user sets up an AirTag that the device is meant to track items, not people without consent. And it will fix issues with notifications that have falsely alarmed users and post new material on its website to discourage people from misusing the $29 accessory.

Apple also is working on a new feature called Precision Finding that will let iPhone users find an AirTag that may be used to stalk them. The company will play a sound on a customer's iPhone to let them know about a possibly unwanted AirTag nearby and enhance its system so it can send alerts more quickly. It will also improve sound on the AirTag so the notifications can be more easily heard.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
Is there not a way to set the Messages app on macOS to only show notifications if the app is open? It seems idiotic to me that it sends me notifications when it's closed.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
My hands are dry as hell from the bitter winter conditions in my area lately and setting my TouchID on my new iPad Air has generally been a huge pain in the ass. :(

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to chime in as someone who went from a 12 mini to an 13 Pro Max after only 10 months because of the mini's battery. I really really really loved the mini except for the god awful battery. By the time I decided to trade it in, I was on average using 150% of my battery every day, it seemed like every time I looked the phone had plunged into the 30% range in battery and I'd be considering when/where I'd be charging the phone next.

So due to that I decided to go the complete opposite direction and get the best battery life I could while figuring out how to deal with how massive the pro Max is. So far so good! The battery is absolutely insane, I'm on day 4 now and haven't used more than 75% of the battery in a day (7 hours screen time on, my 12 would use 150% to get like 5.5 hours of on screen time). My main objective was to just not even think of the battery and that has been accomplished big time. As for adjusting to the size, I'm still getting used to it but the switch hasn't been too bad. Can't use as easily with one hand obviously but I really enjoy the extra screen space and the phone itself is a beast so it runs like a sports car which is pretty awesome. I also got a mag safe pop cap which is nice since I can take it on and off easily.

Anyway just wanted to share my experience, look forward to checking the camera out this weekend

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Is there not a way to set the Messages app on macOS to only show notifications if the app is open? It seems idiotic to me that it sends me notifications when it's closed.
It works like how it does on iOS. I'm the opposite. I actually wish the Mail app showed notifications when it was closed. It's like the only app that doesn't have a background process.

But yes, I agree it should be an option on a per app basis. I'm all for apps working like they do on iOS. But on macOS the notifications while closed thing should be optional.

I'm actually having a dumb issue where my notification clearing between my phone and my watch/Mac are out of sync. If I get a text message and I check it on my phone it stays uncleared on my Mac and watch until I open the app on either one to clear it. I hate it. I don't get it.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I think my phone might have crashed while installing the last iOS update. When I picked it up, the screen wouldn't turn on, so I force-restarted it. When booting, it displayed a progress bar below the Apple logo, and afterwards it said that 15.3.1 was installed. 🤔

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I think my phone might have crashed while installing the last iOS update. When I picked it up, the screen wouldn't turn on, so I force-restarted it. When booting, it displayed a progress bar below the Apple logo, and afterwards it said that 15.3.1 was installed. 🤔
You might have accidentally tried to use it at the exact time it determined that you wouldn't use it anyway and it could safely self-update :D AFAIK their update process is pretty stable though, so even if you mess it up somehow, it should still be able to restore the previous version

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
You might have accidentally tried to use it at the exact time it determined that you wouldn't use it anyway and it could safely self-update :D AFAIK their update process is pretty stable though, so even if you mess it up somehow, it should still be able to restore the previous version

Yeah, but the screen was black and didn't react to anything. If it was still updating, it should have displayed the Apple logo and/or the progress bar. 🤔

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Yeah, but the screen was black and didn't react to anything. If it was still updating, it should have displayed the Apple logo and/or the progress bar. 🤔
I mean most updates warn you when you explicitly start them that the device will restart multiple times, the screen might be black and it wont respond to inputs for a while, right? Thats probably what happened, but because you didn't explicitly start the process (and saw the warning) you were rightly worried.

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I mean most updates warn you when you explicitly start them that the device will restart multiple times, the screen might be black and it wont respond to inputs for a while, right? Thats probably what happened, but because you didn't explicitly start the process (and saw the warning) you were rightly worried.

Sure, but I don't think any iOS update had a black screen for that long. Well, anyway - everything seems to work fine.

eyeball_kid

Oct 25, 2017
basicappleguy.com

System Preferences Reimagined on macOS — Basic Apple Guy

After decades without a redesign, System Preferences on macOS gets a bold & beautiful new look.

Neat.

The sidebar is definitely a good idea that I'm surprised hasn't already been done by Apple. Some of the problems with Settings are just that it's become a mess of random sections that don't easily create a mental map for users. For instance, why are Keyboard, Mouse, and Trackpad all separate icons? They all fulfill the same task -- physical user input -- and thus should be one settings area instead of three. Desktop, Menu Bar, and Mission Control could be one settings area as well. Network and Sharing. Displays and Sidebar. Now we're starting to get down to a manageable number of top-level sections for users to map in their head, which from there they can drill down into sub-sections.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
basicappleguy.com

System Preferences Reimagined on macOS — Basic Apple Guy

After decades without a redesign, System Preferences on macOS gets a bold & beautiful new look.

Neat.
Hmm, where have I seen this design before?
win-11-sync-5878240.jpg

Or right, its the Windows 11 settings.

Now, that doesn't mean automatically that it's bad but its also not like a totally new idea.

I also don't agree that the macOS settings app is bad. Sure, some sections could be redesigned or maybe re-arranged but they keep doing that in macOS updates. Its a constant evolution and I think nothing calls for a Windows 11 or iOS style redesign. Especially when the presented information on your screen is so anemic. I want to see settings, not dead white space.

I am much more on board with trying to redesign the iOS settings app because that one is just an endless list of sub-menus where you don't find anything without using the in-app search.

Deleted member 14089

Oct 27, 2017

Nice to see a native ARM build of an Unreal Engine game the pathless appearing. The performance was rough via Rosetta x86 and worse than on the ios version.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Question about iCloud: I have the free plan so just 5 GB. I have a few GB of old photos on there from a previous iPhone years ago. But since then I haven't used iCloud except for syncing. I keep getting the warning that my storage is full. I want to turn off the photo syncing but it then warns me that it will delete the photos unless I download them. How do I download all of them? Do I download each photo individually? How do I know if they're downloaded?

Oct 25, 2017
Question about iCloud: I have the free plan so just 5 GB. I have a few GB of old photos on there from a previous iPhone years ago. But since then I haven't used iCloud except for syncing. I keep getting the warning that my storage is full. I want to turn off the photo syncing but it then warns me that it will delete the photos unless I download them. How do I download all of them? Do I download each photo individually? How do I know if they're downloaded?

Download iCloud photos and videos - Apple Support

With iCloud Photos, you can download a copy of your photos and videos on any device.

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
From a CPU standpoint web pages can be stupidly complex. Ad blockers can help, although with javascript based blocking rules (i.e. the newer WebExtensions stuff) there's a balance of blocking without the blocking itself being too complex. Plus bloated pages leading to excessive data usage and network calls and the usual screen on time and such.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Jumping to the end of this thread and have never posted in it. I'm getting sick of my iPhone 11 battery and also its health is 86% 🤮. That said, battery life is my main priority for an upgrade. Price doesn't matter. What should I go with?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder the same thing. In my own case, I theorize that my adblocker is pretty price process hungry in the background (1blocker) but can't think of anything else.

That's not how ad blockers work on iOS. They don't run as background processes. The only thing that might run in the background is the blocker app updating your block lists, but it's Safari itself that does the actual blocking.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'm at the end of my contract having owned Android phones since the iPhone 3GS (my only previous iPhone). One by one, the reasons why I stuck with Android have been removed, either through iOS getting the same feature or better, a third party app, or the feature being less relevant or no longer being supported on Android. iOS of course has its own standout features which Android hasn't yet matched. I still think Apple's handling of game streaming apps is dumb, but it's not enough to put me off switching. There are now more plusses than minuses for making the switch.

So, I think either the iPhone 14 or 15 will be my next phone, depending on how well the battery lasts in my current phone.

I have one question - how are notifications on iOS these days? It's the one area giving me pause on switching. I'm used to seeing persistent icons in the status bar on Android so I can instantly go "Ah, I have a WhatsApp message" or an email or whatever. I know iOS doesn't do that, so it'll take some adjustment. I guess I have a fear of missing important messages because there's no immediately visible icon to indicate they're there.

I have an iPad, so I do have some idea of how notifications work on Apple devices. The "swipe down" notification view seems quite similar between both operating systems, so I guess it's just a matter of remembering to swipe and check for notifications occasionally.

I'm interested in different perspectives here - long time iOS users, are you happy with how notifications work? Those who have switched from Android to iOS, how did you find the change?

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
I'm interested in different perspectives here - long time iOS users, are you happy with how notifications work? Those who have switched from Android to iOS, how did you find the change?
I don't have a problem with iOS notifications, but I'm pretty ruthless with what apps are allowed to send them. Messaging apps can make a sound and show in notification centre, a few things like email can show a red badge on their icon, but everything else is off.

Every app that is allowed to have a red badge is on the first page of my Home Screen, so I won't miss them.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
I'm at the end of my contract having owned Android phones since the iPhone 3GS (my only previous iPhone). One by one, the reasons why I stuck with Android have been removed, either through iOS getting the same feature or better, a third party app, or the feature being less relevant or no longer being supported on Android. iOS of course has its own standout features which Android hasn't yet matched. I still think Apple's handling of game streaming apps is dumb, but it's not enough to put me off switching. There are now more plusses than minuses for making the switch.

So, I think either the iPhone 14 or 15 will be my next phone, depending on how well the battery lasts in my current phone.

I have one question - how are notifications on iOS these days? It's the one area giving me pause on switching. I'm used to seeing persistent icons in the status bar on Android so I can instantly go "Ah, I have a WhatsApp message" or an email or whatever. I know iOS doesn't do that, so it'll take some adjustment. I guess I have a fear of missing important messages because there's no immediately visible icon to indicate they're there.

I have an iPad, so I do have some idea of how notifications work on Apple devices. The "swipe down" notification view seems quite similar between both operating systems, so I guess it's just a matter of remembering to swipe and check for notifications occasionally.

I'd been Android since the beginning and just switched to an iPhone 12. I actually am always trying to reduce my attachment to the phone and the visual distractions (picking up the phone to do one thing but getting distracted and never doing it). So I've enjoyed not having the badges along the top. I don't ever miss the notifications as they show on the Lock Screen, but I've certainly forgotten to check them immediately, at which point I neglect them until I do the swipe down for something else. But many apps also have badge icons which makes it harder to miss.

So I like it, but I may use the phone differently from you.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I don't have a problem with iOS notifications, but I'm pretty ruthless with what apps are allowed to send them. Messaging apps can make a sound and show in notification centre, a few things like email can show a red badge on their icon, but everything else is off.

Every app that is allowed to have a red badge is on the first page of my Home Screen, so I won't miss them.
I'd been Android since the beginning and just switched to an iPhone 12. I actually am always trying to reduce my attachment to the phone and the visual distractions (picking up the phone to do one thing but getting distracted and never doing it). So I've enjoyed not having the badges along the top. I don't ever miss the notifications as they show on the Lock Screen, but I've certainly forgotten to check them immediately, at which point I neglect them until I do the swipe down for something else. But many apps also have badge icons which makes it harder to miss.

So I like it, but I may use the phone differently from you.
Thanks, this is good to know. Having the most used icons easily findable for badge notifications seems like a good idea that should help me to not miss any messages.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Is there still no way to have family sharing but each member buying their own stuff? My kids are old enough to pay for their own apps/subs/tv shows but we still want family sharing on for the apple one account, shared icloud allocation, being able to access/share purchases. But everythign still seems to go through my card.

Yes they can buy gift cards or add funds but thats a clumsy way and leaves unused balances on their accounts - plus if they use it up it'll still come back to me.

Someone tell me I'm missing something obvious and Apple have addressed this - especially now they're touting the apple one family plan including fitness and news which is surely not aimed at 10 year olds wanting dad's permission to buy stuff

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Just realized my "Other" storage on my iPhone is huge (40gb). What's the best way to clean this up?
If your phone isn't complaining about insufficient storage, just ignore it. It should be smart enough to reallocate storage when needed.

If it is complaining, you need to go through apps deleting caches and shit.

One thing I've noticed in the past: when you first open the storage page in Settings, it can take over a minute to properly display everything. It starts with a big fat OTHER and it gradually shrinks as the system checks what's actually in there.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
If your phone isn't complaining about insufficient storage, just ignore it. It should be smart enough to reallocate storage when needed.

If it is complaining, you need to go through apps deleting caches and shit.

One thing I've noticed in the past: when you first open the storage page in Settings, it can take over a minute to properly display everything. It starts with a big fat OTHER and it gradually shrinks as the system checks what's actually in there.

This happened on my wife's phone TODAY.
Complained about too little space. 40G of other.
But after like 30 seconds those 40G were revealed to be downloaded podcasts in the podcast app because she set it to veery generously keep/download unlistened episodes.

heathen earth

Mar 21, 2020
Hi all! I need to get my old phone replaced and I was thinking of getting an Iphone 12. It would be my first Apple phone, pretty excited to have something nicer after many years of budget Android phones. How does Spotify work on Iphones? That's the only thing that's really holding me back. I have ten years of accumulated playlists that I absolutely do not want to lose access to.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I really love having an iPad. I love this family of devices a lot. I'm already tempted to get another Magic Keyboard if I see them on sale later on (but definitely not at full price). Now that I have the iPad Air, I can confirm for sure that I vastly prefer the 11-inch form factor to the old 12.9 I left behind last year. I miss Face ID and that's about it, and it's only because my fingers are super fucked up right now from the cold and dry climate we're going through in my region -- TouchID has been sort of a pain in the ass since I got it and I have to punch in my passcode more often than not.

Hi all! I need to get my old phone replaced and I was thinking of getting an Iphone 12. It would be my first Apple phone, pretty excited to have something nicer after many years of budget Android phones. How does Spotify work on Iphones? That's the only thing that's really holding me back. I have ten years of accumulated playlists that I absolutely do not want to lose access to.

When I made the switch over, Spotify worked just the same and all my data was on the Spotify end so all it took was just signing into my account. Of course, if you download a lot of music for offline use, then you would need to manually download everything again. Your playlists and content subscriptions/follows will just come back via the cloud.

neatsaux

Nov 11, 2018
red room
whew boy, just upgraded my 11 to a 13 pro.. this thing is so nice and soooo snappy. love the return to the form factor of the iphone 4, aka the best designed phone of all time