Votes: 314 50.1%
  • None: The Dark World

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I used them until I got there

It seems to me that the AirPods case doesn't "activate" until you open it. Like you can't check their charge without opening the case because while its closed, it's inactive, but when you open it, it starts talking to your phone. I assume since you had the case open right when you got to the bar to put them away your phone recorded their location. But since you didn't use them afterwards iCloud only knew their most recent location as the last place you were when they were opened.

It's so completely dumb if you ask me. I'd rather the case was more aggressive with communicating with your phone and maybe possibly build the AirTag functionality into them so you can find them much easier if someone else happens to pass by them. (If they don't already with the newest versions) I want to know my AirPods battery levels even if they're in my pocket and closed.

Yup, that was it.
It only archives the last location they were actively used. Once they're in the case they're "off" essentially.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yup, that was it.
It only archives the last location they were actively used. Once they're in the case they're "off" essentially.
So un-Apple-like if you ask me. Do newer AirPods act the same way? Including the Pros? Because it's really dumb and makes Find My useless with them. Hopefully they will integrate the AirTag chips into them next time. It makes so much sense. They act exactly how the case should be acting and they last a year on a small battery, they'd last forever using the built-in one.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
So un-Apple-like if you ask me. Do newer AirPods act the same way? Including the Pros? Because it's really dumb and makes Find My useless with them. Hopefully they will integrate the AirTag chips into them next time. It makes so much sense. They act exactly how the case should be acting and they last a year on a small battery, they'd last forever using the built-in one.
Ah I should have asked which model. I was assuming the older ones because the AirPods 3, newer AirPods Pro and the AirPods Max do have ability to talk to the U1 chip so their tracking is improved.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I truly find iPad+Magic Keyboard to be an incredible computing experience. For my own needs, it would be PERFECT if it could interface with other devices — i.e. update firmware for a gaming controller or other external hardware.

In this particular context of using specifically the Magic Keyboard, the Magic Keyboard is way too expensive to just recommend iPad+Magic Keyboard as a simple computing solution, but if you can and need something like this in your gadget lineup, I legit don't think moment-to-moment, basic usage is better on any other device. The tablet form factor makes portable media consumption very pleasant when that's desired or needed as well.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Interesting stuff from 9to5Mac:

New Mac model coming:
9to5mac.com

Mac Studio is coming – is it the pro Mac mini or mini Mac Pro? - 9to5Mac

9to5Mac has learned that in addition to the a new Mac mini and Mac Pro, Apple has been developing a brand new "Mac Studio" computer.

More info on the new "prosumer" display:
9to5mac.com

Apple Studio Display with higher resolution in development - 9to5Mac

9to5Mac has heard from sources that Apple has been working on a new "Apple Studio Display" with higher resolution than the Pro Display XDR.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Ah I should have asked which model. I was assuming the older ones because the AirPods 3, newer AirPods Pro and the AirPods Max do have ability to talk to the U1 chip so their tracking is improved.

I have the magsafe airpods pro and they still do this. Use them in a location, put them in their case and move on. Not always, but pretty often you'll get a ping. Can't work out if its maybe only if you move quickly - first time I noticed I was on a train so maybe a lag thing with them pinging?

Really damn irritating though. First couple of times it had me double checking I hadn't accidentally left them behind. Now its like the boy that cried wolf so sods law I'll actually forget them and then ignore the warning.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone having issues with mail on ipad pro just being blank? Really damn annoying. If you swipe to the multitasking/cards view you can often see it showing the preview (I don't know if its live or an old one) but in full screen just nothing. Its already a less good way to search for things than the gmail app so should I just install and use that? Do I lose any specific integrations?

Ambitious

Oct 26, 2017
It seems to me that the AirPods case doesn't "activate" until you open it. Like you can't check their charge without opening the case because while its closed, it's inactive, but when you open it, it starts talking to your phone. I assume since you had the case open right when you got to the bar to put them away your phone recorded their location. But since you didn't use them afterwards iCloud only knew their most recent location as the last place you were when they were opened.

It's so completely dumb if you ask me. I'd rather the case was more aggressive with communicating with your phone and maybe possibly build the AirTag functionality into them so you can find them much easier if someone else happens to pass by them. (If they don't already with the newest versions) I want to know my AirPods battery levels even if they're in my pocket and closed.

And while we're on the subject, what's the point of the Battery Widget if you can't also see the battery level of your MacBook and iPad as well? Everything's on iCloud. Why not show this info? Why have the Widget only be "connected BlueTooth devices"? That's so dumb and limited. And don't tell me there's a limitation or something because you can literally check the charge level of all your devices from the Find My app. There's no reason to not put all that stuff in the widget. Especially since for me my widget has 4 slots and only 2 of them are ever showing anything unless I happen to have my AirPods case open or the AirPods in my ears. The Battery Widget is such a missed opportunity that I hope they someday fix.

So, if the case with the AirPods were to slip out of your pocket, and no one would ever find and open them, the Find My app would be totally useless?

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
So, if the case with the AirPods were to slip out of your pocket, and no one would ever find and open them, the Find My app would be totally useless?
Seems like it. At least for the older ones. Since it appears they only communicate with your iPhone when they're open.

I open Find My and all my devices say "Home Now" except my AirPods that say "March 2" which was the last time I used them. I'm sure if I were to take them to work and open them there then come home it'll still think they're at work because that's the last place my phone saw them.

Oct 27, 2017
This might be a really stupid question, but can you still rip a CD to iTunes and listen to it as part of your Apple Music library?

I can't have ripped a CD in 15 years. It's an album that's neither on Apple Music nor for sale to buy on iTunes. Apple Music subscriber and I own the CD.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
This might be a really stupid question, but can you still rip a CD to iTunes and listen to it as part of your Apple Music library?

I can't have ripped a CD in 15 years. It's an album that's neither on Apple Music nor for sale to buy on iTunes. Apple Music subscriber and I own the CD.
It should work just like that - I've got stuff that's from my friends' bands, never "released" on Apple Music, but show up in my library across devices. Downloadable, streamable, just like the rest of the library.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018

Yup — just ripped a few CDs last month, the functionality is still there, and you can rip to MP3, AAC, or ALAC.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
More last-minute speculation before tomorrows event:

- "lower-end" external display could be introduced tomorrow, 27-inch, without miniLED
- mac mini with M1pro/M1max or M2 (4 perf. + 4 eff. cpu cores + 10 gpu cores) also possible

9to5mac.com

Gurman: Apple completes development of new external display, could be previewed alongside Mac mini on Tuesday - 9to5Mac

Mark Gurman shares in his Power On newsletter that Apple could be ready to launch a new Mac mini as well as preview a new external display.

- iMac Pro and/or the "big" MacPro maybe pushed to 2023:

9to5mac.com

Kuo: 27-inch Apple external display coming this year, new iMac Pro and Mac Pro in 2023 - 9to5Mac

Ming-Chi Kuo has continued his newfound career as a Twitter leaker by today sharing his predictions for Apple’s desktop roadmap....

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
A lower end (yeah, it will be high end compared to other monitors) monitor with the correct resolution at 27" (which is not 4k!!!) would be fantastic.
Now build an ultrawide Apple! Thanks

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
This! I just want a 27-inch iMac-like Screen that is not that horrible LG display for an outrageous price.
to this day I just can't understand why 5K screens aren't a thing. All operating systems work best with non-fractional scaling. Windows 10/11 imo does it best, Macs work good but performance suffers, and Linux is a shitshow. 4K in screens > 21" was a mistake in PC monitors imo an only Apple understood that.

JustJosh

Dec 11, 2018
Wisconsin, USA 🐮
My LG Ultrafine 27" is on it's last legs, and I feel like I've been waiting for a new Apple monitor FOREVER. Really hope this rumor is true: I've come close to pulling the trigger on an XDR a few times just because there's nothing else in the market at retina PPI levels at 27" or larger.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
My LG Ultrafine 27" is on it's last legs, and I feel like I've been waiting for a new Apple monitor FOREVER. Really hope this rumor is true: I've come close to pulling the trigger on an XDR a few times just because there's nothing else in the market at retina PPI levels at 27" or larger.
what did you do to this poor monitor? o_0

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having an issue uploading a song into my Apple Music library. I go through the import menu and select the song, but it just...never uploads. There's an "updating music library" notification in the bottom left of the window, but it never goes away or completes. Anyone ever had this issue?

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
Think we'll get both new low and high-end Mac Minis tomorrow, both in the same new case. Low end with M2, high-end with M1 Pro/Max.
That's what I was thinking (well, M2 seeming unlikely until the MBP 13 rumors), but who knows with the whole Mac Studio thing now. I could see the higher end one being replaced by the new bigger box, and upgradable to ridiculous dollar amounts. Base with M1 Pro, upgradable to Max...and then dual chip options on top of those.

famicorpse

Unshakable Resolve
Mar 15, 2019
iPhone 11 user here. If a Midnight Green 13 is announced, I'm doing it. I beat myself up for not getting the 11 Pro in Midnight Green way back when.

CrudeDiatribe

Oct 25, 2017
Eastern Canada
That's what I was thinking (well, M2 seeming unlikely until the MBP 13 rumors), but who knows with the whole Mac Studio thing now. I could see the higher end one being replaced by the new bigger box, and upgradable to ridiculous dollar amounts. Base with M1 Pro, upgradable to Max...and then dual chip options on top of those.

You'd only need a bigger box to put more stuff in— like expandable storage or a PCI-E card, or perhaps cooling for a bigger SoC or set of SoCs. The M1 Pro/Max would definitely work in a normal Mini-sized Mini chassis.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
That's the thing: I've just used it for a few years and in that time the USB-C ports on the back of it have started to go out, and it's exhibiting a wonky "flicker" on the bottom right corner. Granted it is on like 10 hours a day, but still..
That's terrible. Such an expensive display should basically last forever. But I always thought it's build quality is questionable

japtor

Jan 19, 2018
You'd only need a bigger box to put more stuff in— like expandable storage or a PCI-E card, or perhaps cooling for a bigger SoC or set of SoCs. The M1 Pro/Max would definitely work in a normal Mini-sized Mini chassis.
There's been a smaller enclosure rumored for a while now, kinda wonder if that one will be like the MBA and basically sealed and fanless. And the M1 Max can actually pull quite a bit of power, more than the 65W Intel CPUs it'd be replacing even.
I am very curious to see how they market the Mac Studio and new display (Studio Display?). Will we see a mid-range MacBook Studio?
That's basically what the 14" MBP is. The 13" will be replaced eventually, perhaps with a cheaper and thinner version of the 14" MBP design and lower specs. But in terms of power the current 14" seems the most analogous, like the lower end MBP will still be M1/2/etc and not the Pro/Max. (or maybe an older generation Pro/Max, who knows)

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Are there any 27" displays that work well for both Windows and Mac? What I mean is I tried a 4K one and Windows looks great and crisp but the Mac looks blurry and I think it has to do with Mac not being good at 4K resolution?

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Are there any 27" displays that work well for both Windows and Mac? What I mean is I tried a 4K one and Windows looks great and crisp but the Mac looks blurry and I think it has to do with Mac not being good at 4K resolution?
Depends on what kind of scaling you selected on your Mac. It is best to go with integer scaling, so you should basically select a "looks like 1080p" resolution which translates to 1080p x2 = 4K.
Maybe your Mac defaults to an intermediate step like 1.5x which is not optimal.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
Depends on what kind of scaling you selected on your Mac. It is best to go with integer scaling, so you should basically select a "looks like 1080p" resolution which translates to 1080p x2 = 4K.
Maybe your Mac defaults to an intermediate step like 1.5x which is not optimal.

Why Apple doesn't have 4K scaling by default blows my mind.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
guitarguy316 most 4K screens should work just fine. I would try to get one with USB-C /Thunderbolt 3/4 if you would like to use the screen as a dock, too

What do you mean? Macs work best scaling stuff without fractions. 4K to 1080p. That's what they always do I think. Unless you buy a MacBook, these use fractional scaling out of the box.

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Apple/macOS does scaling differently than Windows -- Windows doesn't really scale per se, it renders stuff larger than it normally would be (for backwards-compatibility), and apps have to be aware of the scaling factor (which is why scaled desktops play hell with exclusive fullscreen games); macOS scales by rendering the entire desktop at a 2x resolution, then scales that image down to the monitor's native resolution. As a result, 4K displays are great at 1080p, but are a bit blurry at 1440p, while 5K displays match up perfectly (except at native resolution, where scaling is disabled).

Apple's method of scaling in macOS has a few big benefits over what Windows does:
  • It works with every app, even ones that don't explicitly support for 2x rendering; Windows' scaling method somewhat breaks with apps that are designed to be pixel-perfect
  • Fonts line up better with the typeface's intended look, while Windows on the whole prefers that font rendering matches the pixel grid
  • On smaller, high-resolution displays (like the ones Apple includes in all their laptops), the screen is small enough that you don't really notice any blurriness from non-integer scaling, and if you're running at a native 2x resolution, text looks absolutely amazing

Last edited:

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I think at least for the Macbook Pros they defaulted to some kind of supersampling and downscaling to get more "screenspace" on there without the need to have exactly double the resolution as before. And maybe that worked for most people because the screens on a Macbook were high-resolution enough that the scaling artifacts would be nearly invisible. For example, my previous 2019 Macbook Pro I think defaulted to a resolution of "looks like 1600p" while the screen itself could only do 1400p x2 with correct scaling. Its great that they reversed the default for the new MBPs to actual 2x scaling.

Why they don't do it for desktop screens is maybe the same reason why I didn't update my main monitor for 12 years: There is no "perdfect 2x scaling" replacement for my 27inch 1440p monitor. As in: a 5K monitor. If you scale 1080p onto a 27inch screen things get *really* big and you feel like you miss out on a ton of usable screen space.

Lets hope the new display fixes that.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
guitarguy316 most 4K screens should work just fine. I would try to get one with USB-C /Thunderbolt 3/4 if you would like to use the screen as a dock, too

What do you mean? Macs work best scaling stuff without fractions. 4K to 1080p. That's what they always do I think. Unless you buy a MacBook, these use fractional scaling out of the box.

Yeah I have a MacBook Air M1. I just hate how the text is blurry and adjusting the font doesn't really matter. I'm using an LG 27" 4K monitor by the way.

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Yeah I have a MacBook Air M1. I just hate how the text is blurry and adjusting the font doesn't really matter. I'm using an LG 27" 4K monitor by the way.
That sucks, is it crisp at 2:1 scaling? It should be perfect then. I personally don't really notice blurry text from a normal viewing distance on a 27" 4K screen. I'm really annoyed that it has an impact on performance though.

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
they still have that 1800 mAh battery in them? the conf mentioned better battery life but it sounded like its cuz the phone is more efficient

Sounds like it. Now it's basically the 12 mini battery life (so, upgraded from abysmal to borderline usable as smartphone if you don't touch it much) but on a 4,7" screen instead of 5,4" so it's still 100% the 1800 mAh battery.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I got a smart bulb and sometimes Homekit says it's not responding, but this is happening only on Homekit on my iphone. It's fine on ipad and in the bulb maker's own app. Anyone experienced that? I have no hub.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I hear you, kinda want to replace my 3rd gen Air. 👀
I'll think about it cause it also means I'd have to buy a new keyboard…

I'm looking at getting the new keyboard and pencil which makes the price pretty high, so saving on the Air is suuuuper tempting, but also the 12.9 screen and lidar are really tempted. Just at a huge price increase, it is so hard to decide how much I hate my money :<

grmlin

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I'm looking at getting the new keyboard and pencil which makes the price pretty high, so saving on the Air is suuuuper tempting, but also the 12.9 screen and lidar are really tempted. Just at a huge price increase, it is so hard to decide how much I hate my money :<
Never used Lidar for anything (well, photos in my iPhone maybe?), but that 12.9" screen is just so so nice. Don't know if I could go back to 11" now :)
It's huge though, wouldn't want to carry it around all the time.

guitarguy316

Nov 3, 2017
That sucks, is it crisp at 2:1 scaling? It should be perfect then. I personally don't really notice blurry text from a normal viewing distance on a 27" 4K screen. I'm really annoyed that it has an impact on performance though.

I switch back and forth all day between work and personal laptops and sadly it is once you see how crisp Windows is.