• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What tier will Bernice be in?

• Top Tier

• Bottom Tier

• Somewhere else

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Scene: A lone restaurant in San Bernadino, California. A lone man stands looking at it. Camera zooms in. A single tear falls down his cheek.

ACtC-3f51CcWXhJE0RfFH3h9sHZTTZaf4yi_7HGbE52eKaZFOmLTZoET9p3QhiB5U_PAVimo_dggzenQn0z05OnaPf8PKkPkMTOhbVyLeQerk2a-n1exi1eOLKhzHyP9CHBN3NSfhvFoIqbRWeHyZ2V6qGKj_g=w2416-h1812-no

A month and a half back I was driving through San Bernadino on the way back from a camping trip, and I was looking up things to see out there. And that's when I realized... McDonald's original restaurant was there. Upon a single google search I found out that the site of the original McDonald's (though not the building, which has been torn down) is now a museum dedicated to McDonald's. It's run by a man named Albert Okura, who also owns a chain of chicken restaurants named Juan Pollo. He's made it a bit of a goal to preserve the legacy of Route 66, and while his entire life story is interesting, it's not why I'm discussing this.

I'm discussing it because of its ability to act as a holy site carrying on the memory of McDonaldLand.

Outside of the restaurant is all sorts of playground equipment from the old restaurants. Unfortunately, due to the California sun, a lot of the paint is faded and worn out, but it's still amazing to see a lot of this stuff in working condition:

ACtC-3dWlDkVfNbFGwE_0EfzeaVN_ElX69edJe_LFWSAQeHrCbc2B47sDp5H3nn1I__VTmHPltROVoWJWu0BfdGA2y13RHyWitfiaBjZYBENQjUU2suCR2APohCun9e9oEvagxbgpm_rWRZN17Oyl1SZnKoQlQ=w2416-h1812-no

ACtC-3cCamB296PS7b9qqvMHmjKP_VGT-Ub2ezb4i99ujY2_Uf0GnuJv8lTqd09hMKJZaxUUZP438Nmh8u3rgp3Oaq861twR4uTqFzJ7LAuK3U5j93dT6B6rnzhhdZmfLxGhdmp2Nz5INXlVLUoCwOgikqMaUA=w1360-h1812-no

ACtC-3dQOBWKuwsXnWsxfZUTza_pBddCmr5ez0GtWvmpe9Hjm4hEmMhF_GjsX5kU04reVGhy8LvCOkzNXUphWCLL5C6ufakZtCUoR_wz8ehFMX_iM8eOqOdlis9_Bb2iov4PTOd3gVWqwLOTn2bnz1mBtKKKsQ=w1360-h1812-no

While all this is well and good, the building itself houses all sorts of memorabilia. It is, what the guy working there disdainfully told me, "the result of people cleaning up their attics and thinking what they find is important," but honestly it has some really fascinating pieces!

ACtC-3f6RYYEfeyVUSX780-9tAMnFTAx2NucmStDS2bSCg8rp2CJrWv9zQyi44Gizn0Lmw-kZ2LERcDGT1jQ5-t55CONeyzZT25diUC7_Cxfd49WZI96HXoapDeMnC4msxDT0Ep4n5EWGlPG0uwFAmbxPtzdqw=w2416-h1812-no

Such at this model of the original golden arches building.

ACtC-3eBKG8qWBmAYVbmRy3n-2T4lKhdRF6CImZ_6UKSyJt4kYOTAHKStZgmq8DcwXzQ3KVOMsJIMlg8hzVALGVhjIJjwwVobkPthLyila-NXHwBmsHPGFVoCz1HW0ZxErGKJCXBGlmGc8HCegQkOo1pnSn7kQ=w2416-h1812-no

Or this fry basket used by the McDonald brothers.

ACtC-3fh8cWLfYMRI9ujLv6oVIDcTc5-1mP-HnIDbV18IbpHmJMskIpOdjOpGrnMbnZ6wHwFXj5mDyqPL86xr3FtR9i1zpqNonHHFUPHTzQ7rDPuZsY0DxKHovApINlYdn9iaIatTY4wKS5ZNcaW8dG1e22PUA=w2416-h1812-no

(Also an original straw, which is kinda hilarious to me to see preserved)

They also have TONS of cases of happy meal toys, some separated by geographic location:
ACtC-3fr5UOA75HYBAc4RCWG5FjCS45Q9NQxm2QuAjRStBnl_b6XImvhBTQJWIb4B0UjnjmsC0MUpAcWrdP7GdoM9U-t5AYt9uQc8HuNWoh3uDdEKN3BYzmoNfaJFTakya46MTDWJXmcpPftqeYTZ1Oocc7dPw=w2416-h1812-no

And of course character merchandise:
ACtC-3fuwmCjkTBKkJevpvfkh8asPi_Tnw7jiheC65s78qIM13RyzfCjGKqTqlsQRXbTDc53ytIiC0loViNhOWXyYIWKvNZN-JZ05-Dtx0M1jonkgz0H5fYVrdHNcQ6bcNZuALEscyo7OOLxWAwuI-6Wn2Detg=w2416-h1812-no

(A little something for you Birdie fans ;) )

There's even some other McDonald's store fixtures inside:
ACtC-3fSxM1fCEIucoSQvk0TG7xIch4bE0tQ8e27VOVkUqv-VEiXDRA9NI4o3eZx8cecoEswcLYy4KurSA8iB_LyG_UwoIBKbOmyjE3gNUcZ0jqcrf95T5o3bQsLXht57WjRIzTSVxvtKGnttfqMhzghRuRikQ=w2416-h1812-no

And a Grimace costume!
ACtC-3cyEe2w7MbSS-joaVGCpProVnCCzKlhRDNGjjQDeDVtn2BOjq1QBGGZ-czR4h3cRJB-OlWX3r6ynvESGWC6TrGAucwnq9dylH5uU6s1cB7fQNJvn9wDxukNWZPUH3PRQuGUXnfUDUatbMQHgVfFOVIslw=w1360-h1812-no

ACtC-3ckWDCT39YYWDs1YpGOh7N53sxm6HwG8sxNYMQgxYNDCrvqUbM_74QHGplC56pghTsz0cesz4VZe5Oeet9ODn6bCk-f_HPExgrSxng0Rjl0qPSBjZPVvhaZ-DPc4zHy71Uita7zo8qGl2EzWYryPuA7Xg=w2416-h1812-no

Overall, if you for some reason ever find yourself in San Bernadino you should stop by. There's not much else to see in that town anyhow, but the museum itself is actually surprisingly well done and maintained. It's a pretty fascinating stop, and one of the few places you can still feel the magic of McDonaldLand in the world today.

With that, I think this about wraps up the major part of our journey. There's still a few characters I've found to write up on (and I will get them, just probably on a bit less regular of a cadence). Thanks for joining me on this journey, it's been a lot of fun :)

RC.

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, BC
What a weird wonderful journey this has been.
Thank you CaptainNuevo, while I may not have agreed with some of the rankings (what happened to Birdie will never sit right with me) this thread was clearly a labour of love and gave all of us new found insight into the McDonaldland characters we grew up with.

BarrBarr

Oct 25, 2017
This has been my favourite thread of the year, and honestly the best thread I've followed on this site. CaptainNuevo you have done a fantastic job.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My god Birdie really does belong in the house of horrors, along with the 1978 Ronald doll. Someone out there should make a McDonald's mascot horror movie.

We should give the thread a good subtitle like "Over 1 million Birdie fans angered"

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was just talking to my gf the other day about whether kids these days even care or know about McDonald's mascots. My local McDs still has statues of them, and even a playground, but I have a toddler and I don't see them in advertising or anything anymore.

opus

Oct 25, 2017
The 90s doesn't have many employee focused ads I could find, though they did appear in the side of some (though I'm at the embed limit already so can't link them). But they play mostly the role of set pieces. Necessary cogs in the machine, but without the agency or emotional impact they're portrayed with earlier.

As a Black teen in the in the 90s who grew up watching BET in its prime, I will not stand for this Calvin slander. He got a whole storyline and everything!

edit: just caught up with the thread, and sald realized we're at the end of our journey. Thanks for putting this together, I really enjoyed catching up with these characters from my childhood that I haven't thought about in years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
This was a wonderful journey, thanks for sharing it with us.
This has been my favourite thread of the year, and honestly the best thread I've followed on this site. CaptainNuevo you have done a fantastic job.
Great voyage you made

Waiting for what is left and Birdie's recognition
My god Birdie really does belong in the house of horrors, along with the 1978 Ronald doll. Someone out there should make a McDonald's mascot horror movie.

We should give the thread a good subtitle like "Over 1 million Birdie fans angered"
As a Black teen in the in the 90s who grew up watching BET in its prime, I will not stand for this Calvin slander. He got a whole storyline and everything!

edit: just caught up with the thread, and sald realized we're at the end of our journey. Thanks for putting this together, I really enjoyed catching up with these characters from my childhood that I haven't thought about in years.

Thank you all! It's been a lot of fun writing them up and reading reactions/interacting with you all for it :) wouldn't have been the same without you all. Also I wanted to raise some awareness that over the weekend Ronald's official IG account ran a bracket for us to all guess his best friend, and the results are finally in:

www.instagram.com

Ronald McDonald Official on Instagram: "#Instagram has spoken and #Grimace is not only my BFF, but the People’s Champion as well. He’ll be so excited to hear the news!!!"

1,863 likes, 83 comments - ronaldmcdonaldMay 24, 2021 on : "#Instagram has spoken and #Grimace is not only my BFF, but the People’s Champion as well. He’ll be so excited to hear the news!!!"

It's:
Grimace! Beating out Birdie in the first round, Mayor McCheese in the second, and Hamburglar in the finals.

One interesting thing to notice is that the RonaldMcDonaldOfficial IG account mentions Mayor McCheese, Officer Big Mac, The Captain, and The Professor pretty frequently. It's weird given the whole Krofft lawsuit, and I'm still kinda unclear where they live nowadayas.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It really has been a journey. This is the one thread I get notifications for and it's been so worth it.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
So Filming in McDonaldLand (the source of a lot of my production info) posted this pic of another unused puppet design, for the "French" Fries:

194968398_4239586596106598_9071574953665242252_n.jpg

This was created by Mike Venezia, and like Atila the Hungry, was never used in any ads beyond the drawing. The person running the page thinks it was likely from the 80s based on the packaging of the Fries, but can't remember for sure.

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you all! It's been a lot of fun writing them up and reading reactions/interacting with you all for it :) wouldn't have been the same without you all. Also I wanted to raise some awareness that over the weekend Ronald's official IG account ran a bracket for us to all guess his best friend, and the results are finally in:

www.instagram.com

Ronald McDonald Official on Instagram: "#Instagram has spoken and #Grimace is not only my BFF, but the People’s Champion as well. He’ll be so excited to hear the news!!!"

1,863 likes, 83 comments - ronaldmcdonaldMay 24, 2021 on : "#Instagram has spoken and #Grimace is not only my BFF, but the People’s Champion as well. He’ll be so excited to hear the news!!!"

It's:
Grimace! Beating out Birdie in the first round, Mayor McCheese in the second, and Hamburglar in the finals.

One interesting thing to notice is that the RonaldMcDonaldOfficial IG account mentions Mayor McCheese, Officer Big Mac, The Captain, and The Professor pretty frequently. It's weird given the whole Krofft lawsuit, and I'm still kinda unclear where they live nowadayas.

What the fuck is "Cowboy McNugget" doing there as the McNugget rep, rather than the McNugget Buddies or group of them as a whole? Madness. Fry Kids get a group slot.

This really has been one of the GOAT threads (alongside the Three Houses OT, IMO). Great community, great conversation, and a generally positive tone on a forum that can be, uh...

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
Name: The Monkey
Species: Monkey
First Appearance: 1998

The monkey showed up in the 1998 ad "Construction", where Ronald and Grimace are working to build a play land in McDonald's. They're hard at work, and making pretty good progress from what we can tell. Ronald needs a wrench, and asks Grimace to hand him a monkey wrench, and things go awry!

See, the Monkey (who's also working here), is still using the wrench! What a silly creature! So Ronald is just going to have to wait his turn.

From a design standpoint, this is a real living breathing monkey straight from our world. He definitely stands out a bit compared to Grimace and Ronald's more cartoonish looks, but he still somehow looks quite at home sitting there in the workshop. It might have been nice to give him a little monkey sized hat and tool belt, but I'll cut them some slack for forgoing this as part of his design.

From a lore perspective, it's fascinating that we finally get an animal who exists in the world we inhabit here, and without any major design changes (unlike the Vulture or Matey). It's crazy to think that there's possibly an adventure Ronald could go on to the jungles or rainforests, surrounded by these creatures. What's the role of the monkey here? Is he a pet, or a worker? Do they have a place in McDonaldLand society or are they purely entertainment, or even worse, a nuisance?

Sadly, we never quite get the implications explained to us due to the late appearance of this ad (remember, the Aunts ad was the last time the "cour fore" were together). In a better world we would have a whole set of ads around this monkey.

Tier: Would Share a Meal With

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
One of the cutest mascots and with an unique style in the collection. Should be ranked higher only on that grounds.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The deal with using a real monkey is that it's only as good as the material they use it with. Thankfully the commercial is dope, so it's hard not to like The Monkey. He may not be a recurring character, but he's definitely still a hit

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
198475771_4274241565974434_4999229027808820169_n.jpg

Apparently at one point they had a storyboard idea for a commercial where Mac Tonight met with Ronald and the gang. It got shot down since McDonald's apparently wanted a strong separation between the adult-focused mascots and the children-focused ones, but it's pretty cool to see that was a line that the creative team wanted to explore abandoning.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Mac Tonight is the guy your parents warned you about. I can't imagine Birdie being corrupted even more than she already is

Ramsiege

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I got a notification this thread was updated and I had hope that maybe, just maybe, Birdie had received her justice.

I was wrong.

OP
OP
CaptainNuevo

CaptainNuevo

Mascot Maniac
Oct 25, 2017
I was notified today via the Filming in McDonaldLand page that today is apparently Grimace's birthday! Given the page is run by someone with strong creative input on the ads, I assume this is canon.

Happy Birthday to Ronald's canonical best friend, and All-Star member Grimace!