Status
Not open for further replies.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Guess it's a good thing I'm still playing at 1am. Caught three snapping turtles and shot down a balloon w/30k as the present

Haribo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I caught the fucking stupid fish 15 minutes before midnight, but honestly had a revelation in those final moments that this part of the game is simply not worth the stress. I'm sitting there like, "you know what, fuck this fish, this game is way more awesome than this wannabe GACHA bullshit."

From now on I'm done keeping up with the joneses on this game. Most of it is time travelling and exploiting anyway. Just saying for anyone feeling some dissonance about not catching fish or making enough bells or whatever

NamikazeBurst

Oct 25, 2017
Making tarantula islands sucks now. There are giant water beetles which really slow down the process of spawning tarantulas.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I caught the fucking stupid fish 15 minutes before midnight, but honestly had a revelation in those final moments that this part of the game is simply not worth the stress. I'm sitting there like, "you know what, fuck this fish, this game is way more awesome than this wannabe GACHA bullshit."

From now on I'm done keeping up with the joneses on this game. Most of it is time travelling and exploiting anyway. Just saying for anyone feeling some dissonance about not catching fish or making enough bells or whatever
Nah, man. I'm tripling down on that beast of a fish. I'll terraform my island to be nothing but clifftop rivers. I'll destroy all the trees and ponds that can summon unwanted creatures. I'll chase everyone out of town who stands in my way, including that damn raccoon. I'll spend the next 8 months training for the moment that beast reappears. I shall capture and all but destroy that unconquering stringfish. I shall grapple with thee and from hell's heart stab at thee. For hate's sake, I will capture that beast as I spit my last breath.

Uncle at Nintendo

▲ Legend ▲
Jan 3, 2018
I lost it all bros. I time travelled 24 hours into the past to hunt for a stringfish (still never found it after 1.5 hours and dozens of fish bait of searching) gave up on it, came back to the present only to find out that my turnips insta spoiled. Plus some dumbshit villager named Queenie moved in without my permission. My peas are so steamed right now.

CrazyDude

Oct 25, 2017
Just bought it. This will be my first Animal Crossing since the one on the GameCube. So it's going to be interesting seeing the changes since then, but I'm excited to get a relaxing game.

The Nightsky

Oct 27, 2017

I caught the stringfish after using ~5 bait in the highest point of the river on my island. Given the talk here, I figured I was just lucky. So I stocked up on 30+ bait and invited my sister over to help her get one too. ~5 bait later and she had it too.
Funny thing is she then went home to deliver it to Blathers and it turns out she already caught it like 5 days ago, and she barely, barely fishes in this game.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
I lost it all bros. I time travelled 24 hours into the past to hunt for a stringfish (still never found it after 1.5 hours and dozens of fish bait of searching) gave up on it, came back to the present only to find out that my turnips insta spoiled. Plus some dumbshit villager named Queenie moved in without my permission. My peas are so steamed right now.
The game keeps track of when you play. If you travel back to an hour you already played, the game instantly realizes the paradox and all the time based stuff gets messed up. Hence the turnips spoil and the villagers basically act like a day changed.

Didn't you learn anything from Avengers Endgame? (Lol)

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I forgot about mole crickets.
I kept hearing the noise, but not understanding what it was.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
My wife and I noticed tonight that we both have a "secret beach" at the north end of our islands. I assume every map has one. It's a very small beach area that's only accessible by laddering down the backside of the cliffs.

What's the deal with this area? Should we be checking there every day for events? Are there fish that can only be caught there? Or is it just a fun little hidden space for people who fully explore their island (not that it's THAT hidden, it's clearly visible on the map)?

Oct 28, 2017
Seeing all the bug and fish lists and how many species the Southern Hemisphere has, I was wondering why the game makes that separation. I chose northern because that's where I actually live, but it really seems like I'm getting the short end of the stick from a collecting perspective.

So my question is: what's the upside to living in the Northern Hemisphere?

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
I showed my wife Animal Crossing a couple of days ago.. at first she was like me.. an ok time sink. Sort of..

Then yesterday she asked if she could play on my profile.. go ahead I said..

4 hours later I went to bed - She was still playing.
And when I woke up this morning she wasnt in bed, she went up early to play more Animal Crossing.

I think I've lost my wife :P

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I noticed tonight that we both have a "secret beach" at the north end of our islands. I assume every map has one. It's a very small beach area that's only accessible by laddering down the backside of the cliffs.

What's the deal with this area? Should we be checking there every day for events? Are there fish that can only be caught there? Or is it just a fun little hidden space for people who fully explore their island (not that it's THAT hidden, it's clearly visible on the map)?
I've been wondering if they intend to add something there at some point.

Seeing all the bug and fish lists and how many species the Southern Hemisphere has, I was wondering why the game makes that separation. I chose northern because that's where I actually live, but it really seems like I'm getting the short end of the stick from a collecting perspective.

Having the seasons match real life. You'll still get access to all the same bugs and fish. They have more right now because summer is ending there.

easter

Nov 15, 2017

Seasonal alignment for that real feel

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
This morning, I thought 12 nook miles tickets would be enough to get me one of like 25 villagers I'd love....

Anyway, 29 Nook Tickets later, I found my favorite Jock. Welcome home ;.;

EUfpFl-UEAEe2Au

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Goddammit Moe... Anybody got 3 cardboard boxes? He wants some medium cardboard boxes today and I need four regular ones to make medium ones. I'm not made of cardboard boxes man.

Last edited:

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
I showed my wife Animal Crossing a couple of days ago.. at first she was like me.. an ok time sink. Sort of..

Then yesterday she asked if she could play on my profile.. go ahead I said..

4 hours later I went to bed - She was still playing.
And when I woke up this morning she wasnt in bed, she went up early to play more Animal Crossing.

I think I've lost my wife :P

A natural reaction. I got GC Animal Crossing for christmas as a like 2nd grader. I woke up an hour early everyday for 6 months to hang out with my villagers in the mornings.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
PSA: Have enough slingshots in your inventory! Bunny Day is bombing the island with balloons!

Artillery Sergeant Zipper is firing on all cylinders.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany

Thats how I always play AC. I used to stress myself with the DS one (I think it was the DS one) but now I am super chill and just go through a small checklist each day unless some event is happening.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I weeded my entire island yesterday, man it was tedious but it actually makes a big difference. Everything looks so much better now.

Do the weeds come back? I'm sure they do but would be nice if they didn't.
Every day, you get 2 weeds growing back. I got rid of everything from my island, so I know what and where to find:

1 wasp hive
2 weeds
4 fossils
6 rocks

They all spawn in the same area and same location, so I guaranteed myself I get to use a net, or medicine, whenever I shake that 1 particular tree.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018

This kind of thinking being so prevelant right now is actually baffling. You're on the right track with just not caring about "keeping up"

People are min-maxing their time, gunning for progression as quickly as possible, grinding out every possible resource they can, obsessing about every minute detail they can't control, or obsessing about how other people are advancing/obtaining things on a different timeline to them.

People are playing AC in a way I've really never experienced in nearly 20 years with the series and it's actually making me want to just step away from the community. It's kind of wild.

Mediking

Final Fantasy Best Boy (Grip)

I never cared about the fish in the first place. It aint that serious to me :D

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Passing on all these super-cute villagers to get one of my top picks is really hard. I want them all!

broflap

Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught the stringfish like 20 minutes ago. Phew , finally I could leave this mystery island. I was starting to fall asleep lol

dheophe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone already meet Zipper? My system date already at 1st April. My location in Asia. But already explore my island still cannot found Zipper.

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
Northern Hemisphere only..

heavy.com

All Fish & Bugs Coming To Animal Crossing: New Horizons in April

Here's a look at all of the new fish and bugs arriving in Animal Crossing: New Horizons beginning in April.

This is not a complete list. So far today I've caught several of the ones listed here, but also a Butterfly fish (ocean) and a Rajah Brooke's birdwing (green butterfly).

Also, the only thing those common bluebottles are good for is making you have to run closer to check and see if it might be an Emperor instead. Well, that and some really funny wordplay.

edamame

Oct 28, 2017
I went through 50 bait and managed to catch both a stringfish and a golden trout! Feels good. I hope Timmy and Tommy like black bass because they're getting a ton of 'em tomorrow when the shop opens!

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I'm mostly past the initial disappointment of the shitty shared island/primary player being the major thing (mostly because the GF doesn't seem that interested in the game right now, so I'd be the only one playing it), and now I'm again somewhat intrigued about it, so here's a question cause I've never played AC before: is this a game where you end up creating like an actual small town in the long run? House and yard decoration is cool and all but a bit limited, but if I got to place shops and various other buildings wherever I want, create paths and parks and such and in general just slowly work towards making the island look exactly how I want it to, I'd be much more interested.

I see there's a mention of designing the island in the OP, but that's just about terraforming and laying paths.

deepFlaw

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 25, 2017

Flick just paid off my loan and then thanked me for it. What a good dude.

The choice is there so that people who live in the Southern Hemisphere get their seasons at the right time, that's all. I know this launching earlier in the year can make the available bugs/fish seem kinda lackluster in the North - I've also been thinking about all the fishing I did in New Leaf, which came out in June and I mainly played during that summer - but all those fish are just a few months away and we'll have them for longer.

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm mostly past the initial disappointment of the shitty shared island/primary player being the major thing (mostly because the GF doesn't seem that interested in the game right now, so I'd be the only one playing it), and now I'm again somewhat intrigued about it, so here's a question cause I've never played AC before: is this a game where you end up creating like an actual small town in the long run? House and yard decoration is cool and all but a bit limited, but if I got to place shops and various other buildings wherever I want, create paths and parks and such and in general just slowly work towards making the island look exactly how I want it to, I'd be much more interested.

I see there's a mention of designing the island in the OP, but that's just about terraforming and laying paths.
You can choose where buildings are/move where buildings are. Construct bridges and ramps. Terraform to make more rivers or less and create or destroy cliffs. And of course you can put paths down in various styles. It's very possible to create parks, orchards and divide the island into districts like a small town.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017

Landscaping is a pretty huge part of what you're asking for, though. And yes, you can choose where the shops and museum go, and you can change them later. Same for all the houses. You can lay fences, plant trees, place furniture, etc. to build parks and stuff, absolutely. I have a shitty bamboo forest and a shitty orchard because I need the landscaping tool to actually shape them properly, but they'll look aces when done.

But if you mean like "actual small town" like a proper city builder game, then no.

Status
Not open for further replies.