Oct 25, 2017
it fucking cracks me up that people are really going into dark rooms, turning down the brightness all the way and stare at a grey image from weird off angles. like what are you doing?

This is precisely why I just couldn't be bothered with follow new hardware, and wanted out of tech press/review stuff. People would get so obsessed over the tiniest details and think a phone/tablet/laptop/anything was garbage because it didn't do a thing that only .01% of total user base would care about.

Oct 25, 2017
One thing I'm noticing with the Pixel 2 is the adaptive brightness is really aggressive. It seems to go up to 100% a lot once it gets even a tiny bit dirk and in turn the contrast ends up really bugging my eyes out. I have to either disable it or turn on the night light feature.

BoboBrazil

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New color profile coming in a "few weeks" for the Pixel 2 XL and Google also says that the burn-in/retention is inline with other top end smartphones.

https://www.droid-life.com/2017/10/...e-premium-phones-ups-warranty-2-years-anyway/

Edit: Almost forgot, the Pixel 2 XL now has a two year warranty.

Lol it definitely is not in line with other high end phones. Nice they are increasing warranty to 2 years though. Buy through Google and get upgraded to the 3xl after release for free

Ty4on

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
Looks like the V30 doesn't suffer from as much blue shift as the XL2. Interesting.
DNFVQseUQAEXZyd.jpg

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
Got my essential phone today and updated it to current version.

1. Design is pimp tight easily one hand able.
2. Has a nice heft to it.
3. My note 8 feels smoother.
4. The camera is fucking garbage even after the newest update.
5. Already processed my return with Amazon.

faceless

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Looks like the V30 doesn't suffer from as much blue shift as the XL2. Interesting.
DNFVQseUQAEXZyd.jpg
the fix is in.

Flossy was right.
again.

Oct 25, 2017

The f. When Sammy is smoother than your stock android shit... You fucked up.

Such a shame. Essential is easily the best looking phone of 2017. Something about their approach to a notch is just way better than Apple. Just looks so good for apps that work with it like Google maps.

bonch00ski

Oct 25, 2017
The f. When Sammy is smoother than your stock android shit... You fucked up.

Such a shame. Essential is easily the best looking phone of 2017. Something about their approach to a notch is just way better than Apple. Just looks so good for apps that work with it like Google maps.

Dude don't sleep on the Note 8 Samsung fucking nailed it with this one. I'm impressed how smooth this phone runs.

Deleted member 3345

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
AH has one of the bravest reviewers in the Tech landscape.

We're pretty fortunate to have AH in our lifes.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hey guys, quick question. I have a Galaxy Tab A with 16GB of storage + a 128GB microSD card. I've been having this weird issue where the tablet's on-board storage will fill up despite the fact that I clearly don't have anywhere near 16 gigs worth of files stored. I stream all of my music and movies and only keep important files stored on the SD card. Any idea what may be causing this?

Here's a screenshot of the Storage settings page:

As you can see, on the left it tells me I have 14.5 out of 16 GB used up, but on the right I it says I've only used 3-4 GB.

Oct 25, 2017
Dude I was the same way I had a s8 with Verizon but 7.1.1 (which the s8/+ do not have) improves touch latency. I shit you not it's a noticeable difference.
Heard 6gb ram helps with memory as well. Honestly the biggest annoyance for me was that occasionally the nav buttons had a split second delay, which is rare for a flagship lol.

Anyways. Will try to fight for a iPhone x tonight. Think I'm gonna be done with new phones for a while unless something truly ground breaking comes out.

Pixel 2 XL is fine. Wish it handled memory better and charged quicker, everything else is fine for me, but weird screen stuff rarely bothers me. Just get used to it.

gzell60

Oct 26, 2017
Munich
I'm going to switch from an iPhone 6 to a Pixel 2 XL on November 15, that's when it launches in Germany. I went to a local Media Markt a couple of days ago and was surprised they had a display unit I could play around with for half an hour, to check for some of the issues. While I agree the blue shift isn't so nice, it's far from distracting for me, and the OLED display is a huge upgrade to my current phone. I also did not notice any dirty screen effect at 0% brightness - this might be a benefit from the delayed launch. All in all I was really satisfied and it reaffirmed my decision to pick it over the V30. Considering I'm running Windows, iOS and PS4 betas, I would likely freak out when Google publishes the 9.0 preview and LG just got around to releasing 8.0.

Smylie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oregon
Got the 8.1 beta on my Verizon OG Pixel XL. So far, really nice and smooth. Paired with the updated Pixel Launcher, it's a really great look.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I never understand the mental process that goes into the decision to jump to a competing mobile OS.

Got a cousin asking to borrow my backup moto until she can get a new phone, which will be the iPhone 8 (she has a Galaxy S5, bought used. Before that, an M7 - used as well). She comes in telling me that she's done with Android, because of the non-stop problems:

1) She has only 16GB storage, ran out, and so she's mad that she can't save things to it
2) It's been dropped multiple times, so the screen is cracked on the corner
3) She accidentally had the phone's charging port exposed in the rain, so it stopped charging for a while
4) Its slow, when it never used to be
5) She can't update the phone until she clears space

*shrugs*

I mean the iPhone 8 is pretty dope, true, but....what?

OP
OP

Deleted member 134

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I suspect Apple went Qi charging, which is terrible, because of the ubiquity of it. I believe Apple wants real wireless charging and that requires lots of conductive charging (Qi) around. If Android and Apple use Qi, Apple can piggyback off of it for actual wireless charging.

Kinggroin

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Uranus, get it?!? YOUR. ANUS.
I suspect Apple went Qi charging, which is terrible, because of the ubiquity of it. I believe Apple wants real wireless charging and that requires lots of conductive charging (Qi) around. If Android and Apple use Qi, Apple can piggyback off of it for actual wireless charging.

What are you even fucking saying right now.

You sound like my cousin.

Deleted member 3345

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never understand the mental process that goes into the decision to jump to a competing mobile OS.

Got a cousin asking to borrow my backup moto until she can get a new phone, which will be the iPhone 8 (she has a Galaxy S5, bought used. Before that, an M7 - used as well). She comes in telling me that she's done with Android, because of the non-stop problems:

1) She has only 16GB storage, ran out, and so she's mad that she can't save things to it
2) It's been dropped multiple times, so the screen is cracked on the corner
3) She accidentally had the phone's charging port exposed in the rain, so it stopped charging for a while
4) Its slow, when it never used to be
5) She can't update the phone until she clears space

*shrugs*

I mean the iPhone 8 is pretty dope, true, but....what?

Seems like you understand the mental process properly.

There are very few android phone that come standard with like 128 gb of storage, that have durable materials like ceramic and titanium.