Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
It is rather disappointing that they went from mega crossover events between multiple shows to just... nothing.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017

This.

For how campy and ridiculous the writing on these shows were some (a lot of) times, they have always been good, popcorn fun. Turn brain off and enjoy.

So looked forward to the crossover events each season, especially when they got bigger and bigger (with each show added). I'm pretty certain it's something we will never see again. Even crossovers on other stations (like the Chicago shows, when they did them), haven't compared.

I will miss the Arrowverse.

Edit: Technically, I think Superman & Lois is still part of the Arrowverse as that they have been part of the crossover events before. But it's no longer a "-verse" as it's just one show. And I don't see CW creating more shows to build it up again (including making the Gotham Knights part of it).

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Arrowverse
2012-2023

Edit: Technically, I think Superman & Lois is still part of the Arrowverse as that they have been part of the crossover events before. But it's no longer a "-verse" as it's just one show. And I don't see CW creating more shows to build it up again (including making the Gotham Knights part of it).
Not the same Superman and Lois as the ones who appeared in the Arrowverse. The producers changed their mind and clarified it's a different Earth with no other superheroes.

Jason Frost

Oct 27, 2017
:( This one for sure.
JOqRbmN.gif

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
WHAT?!!!

That's honestly a huge surprise. I really wonder what were the reasons behind this decision.

Netflix's renewal/cancellation decisions usually come down to viewing versus cost. First Kill, featured mostly up-and-coming talent and had a decent run based on Netflix's Top 10 viewership figures.

According to sources, the series, which did not have the staying power of most Netflix hits, still did not meet thresholds for viewing and completion of episodes. Launching successful teen series has been challenging for all streamers; HBO Max just canceled Gordita Chronicles amid a pullback in live-action kids/family original programming.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Last edited:

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Netflix's renewal/cancellation decisions usually come down to viewing versus cost. First Kill, featured mostly up-and-coming talent and had a decent run based on Netflix's Top 10 viewership figures.

According to sources, the series, which did not have the staying power of most Netflix hits, still did not meet thresholds for viewing and completion of episodes. Launching successful teen series has been challenging for all streamers; HBO Max just canceled Gordita Chronicles amid a pullback in live-action kids/family original programming.

Thanks! I guess it makes sense...

Doesn't surprise me. Buzz seemed fairly muted on it. I don't get the sense many watched it.

Depends on your circle I guess. Around me it gave the impression that it was the biggest thing ever for at least 2-3 weeks. It also had A LOT of buzz on social media.

nXfv4mi.gif

The state of lesbian and sapphic TV keeps getting worse, but also the show wasn't particularly good.

Edit: It seemed to do well enough but the VFX budget is probably what killed it. ("What budget?" I know.)

I completely agree. I was very critical of the show after I watched it. But I know it made a lot of people happy, and I honestly thought it was a lot more popular than it apparently was. So I figured it would be an easy renewal. Also, it was most probably very, very cheap to make. And yeah, what VFX budget? lol! :p

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
I'm having a stronger reaction to these WBD cancellations than I thought I'd ever have. Obviously like everyone else I've experienced shows I like getting cancelled but I think its different for the Warner stuff because I've always watched a lot of Warner stuff and they turned into a streaming serviced I liked A LOT. Really sucks that shows are being pulled off the services, there are broad cancellations, movies are getting canned, and the TV networks are getting blasted with ads to promote the Discovery stuff. I enjoy watching some trash TV sometimes but I'd never want that stuff to be the focus of a streaming network. Just looking at the first page of stuff advertised on Discovery Plus and realizing that the large majority of it is complete garbage to me. What a curse to have those execs be the ones who are on top for WBD. Gutting the better content from one portion of the company and supposedly taking the better brand and wrapping into the shittier one.

I'm just going to start assuming and blaming Zaslav for all the decisions that I hate over at WBD.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im pretty much ready to say that Zaslav has ruined everything. Arrowverse was amazing and did the multiverse thing right. I can't even watch it anymore because of the bad taste these decisions have left it my mouth. At best I need a couple more years.

HBO Max isnt even that old and Im not feeling good about it anymore. Fucking discovery.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
HBO Max isnt even that old and Im not feeling good about it anymore. Fucking discovery.

Can't help but be worried myself. Feels like every day more bad news keeps popping up. Whether it's seeing yet more tv shows get cancelled across a few WB networks, or seeing the new Scooby Doo movie ALMOST completed, and getting canned so HBOD can get their tax dollar write offs :/

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Can't help but be worried myself. Feels like every day more bad news keeps popping up. Whether it's seeing yet more tv shows get cancelled across a few WB networks, or seeing the new Scooby Doo movie ALMOST completed, and getting canned so HBOD can get their tax dollar write offs :/
Thank god The Rehearsal is already out.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
All this WB news makes me feel like there is no point in hoping Stargirl will get a fourth season. I wonder what the CW network will even be in a year or two.

Big Yoshi

Nov 25, 2018
Im bracing myself for the worst case tommorrow, with fionna and cake getting canned before release and every other hbo max show other than hacks and peacemaker dying.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
ironically HBO Max is probably my favorite streamer atm here in Portugal, certainly the one I watch the most. Guess I should hurry up and finish watching Person of Interest and Fringe before they pull the plug.

And I guess RIP Harley Quinn too since its a Max original? sigh

In HBO related news, I finally started watchhing Barry (half of season 1) and unfortunately it's not really doing it for me :(

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Just saw HBO Max cut 6 exclusive films from the service. Is Zaslav trying to see how many unforced errors they can make before burning all the public's goodwill with the service?

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Bozo Zaslav must really love crappy reality TV. I really just don't get the point in why they bothered to buy WB if they were going to just cancel and remove a ton of stuff. They don't need more outlets for their reality TV since they have several channels and their own shittier streaming service.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
Bozo Zaslav must really love crappy reality TV. I really just don't get the point in why they bothered to buy WB if they were going to just cancel and remove a ton of stuff. They don't need more outlets for their reality TV since they have several channels and their own shittier streaming service.
Reality TV is cheap to make. They know that most people aren't going to subscribe to a streaming service for crappy reality shows so they get the audience to subscribe for a few high profile scripted shows and keep them hooked on a great amount of shit reality shows that are cheaper to make.
They are buying WB for the catalogue and the content they can share between the premium channel and the streaming service.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
Reality TV is cheap to make. They know that most people aren't going to subscribe to a streaming service for crappy reality shows so they get the audience to subscribe for a few high profile scripted shows and keep them hooked on a great amount of shit reality shows that are cheaper to make.
They are buying WB for the catalogue and the content they can share between the premium channel and the streaming service.
That make sense. I mean I get it but also it seems like a strategy that is risky and has a good chance of faltering. I would think they need to keep making scripted shows as part of the hook. Crappy reality TV seems like it would not have the same retention even when combined with a great catalog like WBs.

LFMartins86

Nov 7, 2017
That make sense. I mean I get it but also it seems like a strategy that is risky and has a good chance of faltering. I would think they need to keep making scripted shows as part of the hook. Crappy reality TV seems like it would not have the same retention even when combined with a great catalog like WBs.
HBO will keep on making stuff for TV, it's almost certain that the most popular HBO Max Original shows will find their way to TV and those shows will go on to HBO Max.
But I also agree that I have serious doubts that this plan will be successful.
The current mandate at the company is that we only make premium scripted content.
Some of Netflix's biggest hits were far from premium.

The fact that HBO Max is going to merge with Discovery just shows how far out of touch Discovery's executives are.

They apparently claim that Discovery is a bigger brand worldwide but that only is true because Discovery was one of the first big US channels to expand worldwide in the 90s.
If I ask 100 people under 40 about recent HBO shows, I'll probably get a few different answers.
If I ask the same answer about Discovery, I doubt I'll get an answer.

Discovery+ has been a thing for a while, I don't any single person on real life or online that has it.
I know a few dozens who have HBO Max.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
I assume it's about buying users and hoping they don't cancel when they merge the services and cut all the scripted stuff. Not sure how smart it is though, but apparently everything is just a writeoff now.

Fuzzy

Completely non-threatening
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Gotta come up with the $3 billion in savings they talked about last year somehow.

vypek

Oct 25, 2017
HBO will keep on making stuff for TV, it's almost certain that the most popular HBO Max Original shows will find their way to TV and those shows will go on to HBO Max.
But I also agree that I have serious doubts that this plan will be successful.
The current mandate at the company is that we only make premium scripted content.
Some of Netflix's biggest hits were far from premium.

The fact that HBO Max is going to merge with Discovery just shows how far out of touch Discovery's executives are.

They apparently claim that Discovery is a bigger brand worldwide but that only is true because Discovery was one of the first big US channels to expand worldwide in the 90s.
If I ask 100 people under 40 about recent HBO shows, I'll probably get a few different answers.
If I ask the same answer about Discovery, I doubt I'll get an answer.

Discovery+ has been a thing for a while, I don't any single person on real life or online that has it.
I know a few dozens who have HBO Max.
That mirrors my experience pretty closely. I know one person with Discovery+ and several times as much who have and use HBO Max. Its unfortunate that they're already killing so many WB/Turner channel series but I hope that a lot of the Max Originals can be rescued and move to TV for the sake of justifying them staying on the streaming platform and continued production.

I agree that they are out of touch. I can't believe they are folding it into Discovery. That just seems so stupid. I hope the plan backfires really terribly and force them to go back to the strategy that was making Max the best service (at least to me).

Cut all executive pay and end bonuses for all high level Discovery execs.
Man that would be a dream. I wonder how much their bonuses total. Always feels like these companies have such stupidly high bonuses for execs.

I wish execs watched or cared about their content. I really feel like a lot of them don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.