• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MukuMuku

Oct 31, 2017
i don't see this insulting either.

i understand some gamers revere certain names in the industry but no, this is not insulting.

does OP have close ties with the name in question?

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not here to dunk on the OP; I don't think we need to dogpile anyone for this any more than we already have. All it is now is just dunking for sport.

That said, I still haven't found any actual explanations for why this might be insulting besides "people don't put graves in some rando's backyard" and "Iwata was alive when the game took place," both of which seem to be addressed by the game being apparently a) surreal and b) very loose with timelines. If someone wants to take a crack at an explanation, by all means.

Abcdude

Sep 9, 2018
I'm sure there were good intentions but thats probably the most lazy and awkward tribute ive ever seen lol

Tribal_Cult

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I actually expected something gross and disgusting, it's just a pretty boring and lazy homage.
Era is slowly losing its mind.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
This thread is like a caricature of what everyone else thinks Resetera is like.
Doesn't matter how far we gotta stretch, we're gonna be offended today chaps!

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty odd, but I'm not up in arms or anything. Probably shouldn't have done it like this in the first place but...eh.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
it's a very weak easter egg but I don't really see how it's insulting? it's not like they have your character then pee on the grave

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Oh god. Everything aint offensive. The people who are offended or feel Iwata has been insulted, are you offended because the original poster and twitter guy got offended? Did you borrow their feelings without making your own judgement call?

Meanwhile in heaven Iwata is probably happy they were thinking of him.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Mortal Kombat 3 had the designers name on the gravestones on one of the stages.....

and Bayonetta had all the lead designers of the game engraved on the gravestones ending with Kamiya and literal piss on it......on the opening of the game itself.

Granted these were all examples of designers putting themselves (or their colleagues) on gravestones but still, i don't see what's the big deal. Will OP be satisfy if they change the year from the 90s to year 3000s?

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
I mean, isn't it a tribute to him?
Is mentioning the names of dead people insulting now?

I really don't get it.

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm curious what a "respectful" homage to Iwata would be in this case. A character making reference to his accomplishments? Maybe a magazine talking about a man who could fit two regions on a single cartridge? Make Iwata an NPC? Though I feel like those might stand out a bit too much.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
People really don't understand how it's insulting? Typically touching tributes to people you respect don't include showing their fucking graves. Do you think Iwata's family would be okay with this?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm relieved I'm not the only one not understanding the "insult" part.

OP you should be cautious with words, if you call that an insult, how would you call an actual insult ?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
People really don't understand how it's insulting? Typically touching tributes to people you respect don't include showing their fucking graves. Do you think Iwata's family would be okay with this?
? I still don't understand how showing a grave is insulting. Are grave sites not typically where you put dead people? Have they not for things of years been made into literal tributes to those people, with monuments, statues, quotes, and years lived etc inscribed on them? What could possibly be insulting by showing that...?

Yasumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody with the game able to check if the other gravestones say anything? Tributes to other industry people, or just in-game stuff?

Oct 25, 2017
Insulting? Lol. I really have no idea how some of you guys manage to function off the internet. It's undoubtedly a little clumsy, but that's about it.

judai

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
...insulting? I don't understand. Sure it's not the best homage, but insulting? Yikes.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
Everyone is saying this is a typical Era response, but it's actually kind of a 4chany response to a "hipster" game. Finding a thing to nitpick and blowing it up.

Oddish1

Oct 25, 2017
? I still don't understand how showing a grave is insulting. Are grave sites not typically where you put dead people? Have they not for things of years been made into literal tributes to those people, with monuments, statues, quotes, and years lived etc inscribed on them? What could possibly be insulting by showing that...?
Because it only shows Iwata's importance by showing that he's dead. That's the thing that game thinks is important to immortalize as. There's no touching quote or reference to his accomplishments, just his gravestone and his death date. As depicted the thing that the video game thinks is important about Iwata is that he's dead. Graves are not inherently respectful or sacred. In Final Fantasy I there's a gravestone for Erdrick which was clearly meant to be read as a dig at a competing franchise. Just because you put a dead person there doesn't mean that gravestones are inherently respectful.

Also, when you reference real life deaths in a video game, you always get the family's blessing before you do so. Do we think that the developers got Iwata's family blessing for this? Somehow I doubt that.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Insulting nah, but it is awkward, unnecessary and a bit much.

Should've put a short line in the credits if they'd really really really wanted to honor Iwata.

But I just wouldn't

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Because it only shows Iwata's importance by showing that he's dead. That's the thing that game thinks is important to immortalize as. There's no touching quote or reference to his accomplishments, just his gravestone and his death date. As depicted the thing that the video game thinks is important about Iwata is that he's dead. Graves are not inherently respectful or sacred. In Final Fantasy I there's a gravestone for Erdrick which was clearly meant to be read as a dig at a competing franchise. Just because you put a dead person there doesn't mean that gravestones are inherently respectful.

Also, when you reference real life deaths in a video game, you always get the family's blessing before you do so. Do we think that the developers got Iwata's family blessing for this? Somehow I doubt that.

Wow.
Chill out, and remember what "insult" means please.
This is just an easter egg. Come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.