• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The future of stadia:

• It will be a success

Votes: 286 13.4%
  • It will fail

Votes: 1,855 86.6%

• Total voters

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
everything google created in the last years failed.
what was their last sucess? android?

Lirion

Oct 25, 2017
I think a lot of people will try it at launch with the majority moving on within a year.

I hope it succeed though, the concept is really cool. I'm just not a fan of the business model and I don't trust google with it.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
Why though? That seems like a silly thing to do.
They all do it.
Like you are forbidden to use your ps4 or xbox in a public context, or in a internet cafe. Rights holders do not want that and your licence forbids you to do it.
The Licence terms for every game you own contain such a clause, every game on Stadia will contain the same.
It's even worse for a subscription based service, they do not want you to resell the subscription in any way.
I guess if every customer come in with his own login and google account, and his own games, that would be ok, but if the account is linked to the cafe, no way.

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Given the already half-baked launch (not fully featured out the gate plus "early access" approach), bandwidth and capacity limitations from ISPs, and Google's eagerness to just ditch projects on a whim...

Yeah, this thing is super dead.

And I say this as someone who owns multiple Google products and has used their services daily for years.

This. It's not even a Glass like scenario where people were excited about the project. From what I've seen, there's been overwhelming negativity around Stadia. I don't see them overcoming that.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Data caps, expensive internet, and variable speeds equal uh... Fail. Though I think fail is too strong of word. I think its quite likely it'll find a decent niche over time, and do a lot better than the Wii U for example.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
It will work ok in urban areas and will see lots of interest in the first year but I think it willl taper out in the end and Google will quietly shut it down in 2 years.

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure. If it was more netflix or gamepass like with instant play of a big catalogue, yes. Right now it's just straight up purchases right? Most gamers already have a console or PC so why spend the money on something with potentially less fidelity. I can see myself trying a demo for a game or something but I would never ever purchase a game on it myself. Especially with Google's track record. Not to mention all the technical limitations for most of the country.

I think MS would be much more successful with something like this if they're like hey all the Game Pass games can be streamed too.

toy_brain

Nov 1, 2017
Slow-burn success.

The ability to play a game straight away in just a Chrome browser tab, using whatever device you already have, means the service could become extremely pervasive in a year or so once all the hardware restrictions are gone.
Like, it'll just be everywhere. "Click here to try the game out now", and you are playing it straight away. No downloads, no hardware investment.
Why would you go back to turning on a separate games-specific piece of tech when you could just play using whatever you had to hand?

Like I said though, the hardware restrictions need to go first. Which they will. Its all a bit 'minimal viable product' right now, which is typical Google.

kdm

Oct 30, 2017
In my opinion, you just need to look at Google endeavors in the past, to get a reasonable expectation of Stadia. People could genuinely flock to it and enjoy it, but still have the plug pulled. Google is notorious for reorganization that deprecates services and paid hardware.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2 things are going to happen before google even thinks about quitting

1. they are going to want a few exclusives to show that are only possible on stadia, some of these will take years to develop

2. they will want stadia to be on almost every device, smart TVs, all iOS devices, android devices, roku stick, fire tv, macs, PCs etc

once they get these 2 things and people still aren't using it (unlikely people won't using it imo) then they will decide to keep going or not

tarman76

Oct 27, 2017
I think Xbox and Sony have a better approach with having streaming as a additional avenue to game access as opposed to Google who is going all in with streaming as their only access.

It's either all or nothing. Murphy's Law and all that.

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Neither. I don't think it's going to change the landscape much nor set the world on fire. But it will probably find its niche unless Google drops support for it, as they tend to do.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
I really want it to fail, hard.

Input latency is my worst nemesis. As if it wasn't bad enough that many games running on local hardware exhibit significant input latency, you mean you're going to add another huge layer on top? Just burn.

I don't want this to become the future of gaming. At least not until the technology allows for sub-10ms roundtrip.

Jumpman23

Nov 14, 2017
This will take time to succeed, it will not be a day one contender. If they stick with it and continue to grow their library, starting creating their own exclusives through partnerships, then I could see this being the Netflix of gaming.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really want it to fail, hard.

Input latency is my worst nemesis. As if it wasn't bad enough that many games running on local hardware exhibit significant input latency, you mean you're going to add another huge layer on top? Just burn.

I don't want this to become the future of gaming. At least not until the technology allows for sub-10ms roundtrip.
Let's wait for latency tests comparisons before we decide if there's a difference or enough difference to even matter

because I can play games fine on GeForce now and stadia is supposed to even better than that in latency

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
We know what happened with tapes, cdroms, dvdroms, even games are mostly purchased digitally. Rent a dvd movie. Nobody is doing that more. Cloud is the future and it will surpase consoles in power so fast that next gen looks like old gen

That's a terrible analogy. Gaming consoles are not tapes, cds or dvds.

Games are not movies.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017

Games are not movies.

Someone says, look at what happened to music with digital distribution and streaming, the same will happen to movies. You answer with "music is not the same as movies", as proof that it wont happen. I think that the important point here is that if streaming services like Stadia and others, manage to lower the input lag enough to make a sustentable amount of people enjoy the service, it will be a success. It will only get better after that. They only need to receive enough reviews like the one below.

"playing though Xcloud on a good Internet connection feels practically indistinguishable from local play. Diving in to Halo 5: Guardians on my phone (with a cloud save automatically downloaded from Xbox Live) felt like slipping into a familiar coat, with the same smooth frame rate and snappy controls you'd expect on an HDTV. While there may have been a frame or two of added delay between my inputs and the on-screen action compared to the local version, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference in a blind test."

arstechnica.com

Project Xcloud preview serves as a passable, portable Xbox One

Small headaches are worth it to get a tiny Xbox on your phone.

Peterc

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Games are not movies.
Google isn't stuppid, they have researched it first before doing this, they have data and knowledgefor it.

Watch this very closely:

Europe-Digital-Game-Charts.png

Games has physical (Stadia and others are or will follow...)
Music has physical (spotify and many others....)
Movies has physical.(netflix and many others....)

RoastBeeph

Oct 29, 2017
Why do people act like there won't be massive discounts on games? And why is a subscription service impossible down the line?

Well the major problem is that Google doesn't have a library of first party titles they could start a subscription service with so they'd have to try to pay 3rd party publishers to offer their titles on their subscription service. That is very difficult to do financially. GamePass works because Microsoft has a pretty sizeable catalog of first party studios that have/will be putting their titles on the service. What games can Google put on their's? It will take them years to have even a hundred or two hundred titles even playable on Stadia.

Does Google have the patience to play in the gaming market 5+ years to build up their own gaming studios, etc.? I am not optimistic that they are patient enough for that, given all the prior projects they have killed off in a very quick fashion.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
I see the appeal on paper, but in practice I think it's gonna struggle to gain serious traction.

Google does have deep pockets though, and I'm not ruling out the possibility that there will at least be a moderately sized audience for the service... so it might not be a total failure in the sense of Google shutting the service down, but considering Google's ambitions for the service, I think anything short of it being hugely successful would be considered a failure in their eyes.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Keep your straw man, I never said that.

Games are interactive and affected by latency.
Movies and music are not.

Never said you said it. It was supposed to be an analogy that shows how simply saying they are not the same doesn't address anything. What you said right now is a real argument that can be refuted with factual information and that is exactly what I will share with you. See the image below so you can compare the input latency for God of War running at 30fps vs unlocked framerate.

God-of-War.png

138ms on PS4 vanilla vs 59.5ms on PS4 Pro. Do we agree so far? OK, so now let's imagine this scenario. If you had the PS4 Pro version of God of War running on a PS Now server with a ping of 30ms to 35ms of network latency, and you add 10ms to capture and encode each frame, you would be getting 99.5ms to 104.5 of input lag. Compare that to the 138.7ms of input lag that someone playing the game locally on a PS4 vanilla would get, while still enjoying the game. Do you understand how simply saying a black and white statement like "Games are interactive and affected by latency." is not really accurate and will not represent the experience that everyone will have with cloud gaming services? Because as you just saw, game running in the cloud does not always equate to higher input lag. I already have an idea of what you will answer to this, so make your case so we can continue from there.

Last edited:

Crayolan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it'll be a total bomb or anything but I doubt it will meet Google's (likely high) sales expectations.

Bricktop

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The collective egg on face that will result from Stadias success is going to be hilarious. This time next year the spin on all of these Stadia threads is going to be epic.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
Total fail.

And I mean that financially, Google does keep around some money losers like Youtube just for mindshare or whatever so it's financials may be horrendous but Google may keep it alive on the hopes that one day they find a way to turn a profit on it.

Agent X

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
I'd like to see Stadia make some inroads, as many of their technology ideas are good. However, the business side of the operation is making some spectacular blunders, and that's ultimately what will sink this ship unless they make some drastic changes.

For those who say "Google won't abandon Stadia because people are purchasing content", I'm sure they've already got an exit plan to transition those "purchases" to another online store (such as Steam, GOG, etc.) in case Stadia fails to meet expectations.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I'm pretty sure google isn't expecting a large amount of users right out the gate, I'm sure they have looked at PSnow subscribers to get an idea for their own goal

I expect Stadia to grow a lot faster than 700,000 subscribers in 5 years. It cannot be understated how that Play Now button on YouTube will help the service grow.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I see the appeal on paper, but in practice I think it's gonna struggle to gain serious traction.

Google does have deep pockets though, and I'm not ruling out the possibility that there will at least be a moderately sized audience for the service... so it might not be a total failure in the sense of Google shutting the service down, but considering Google's ambitions for the service, I think anything short of it being hugely successful would be considered a failure in their eyes.
One way I could see stadia surviving if it's a failure, is if the project is just Google trying to get ahead of the curve so that when Streaming blows up they already have a competent service.