• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Saito Hikari

Jul 3, 2021
I fully expect this to be hub style similar to Outer Worlds, and am actually hoping so as I don't think every game needs to be open world... BUT that said, I really hope they're able to put some more work into making the people living in these hubs seem more alive compared to that game. If they pull anything from Elder Scrolls, I hope it's giving the NPCs a schedule where they move around and go about their lives within their hub (along with a day/night cycle). Loot could use some work compared to OW too, and hopefully enemies won't spawn into the world just in front of you.

If Avowed takes place in Pillars present day Living Lands like some theorize, it will most likely use a hub style setup, or at least only one or two major cities with the rest of the playable area being pure nature/ruins. The area is, lore-wise, not very settled at all.

I am side-eyeing the two-handed combat setup though. That was one of the things I hated most about Skyrim, because it basically made playing arcane archers annoying as hell. Logically you SHOULD be able to cast a spell with your free hand while wielding a bow, so long as you aren't nocking an arrow at that moment. Hopefully Avowed won't have that bad of an oversight, considering arcane archers/gunners were considered the preferred way to play the Cipher class in PoE.

If Avowed brings in as much of the PoE spells and abilities as possible (and/or keeps the same class design), we could be in for a really crazy treat. Some major Cipher spells in particular are reliant on the presence of allies, like Amplified Wave smashing everything into the floor in a huge AoE around a targeted party member.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
I felt that the Outer World kinda suffered from having a low budget. Not in the sense that I wanted larger and more open world, far from it, but that it couldn't take the time to properly introduce its cast. So I would have wanted more quests for the characters, and a story that just took a bit longer. As it was, it's like a 20 hour game. And that's fine, but it was still trying to have a progression system and complex companion characters, lifted from far longer games. The end result is that it feels awfully compressed. Like in one moment you're level 4 and fighting bandits, and the next moment you're a high level character with super OP guns that make short work of everything. The same way, the companions go from "Hey, I don't know you yet, don't ask so many personal questions" to "You're my best friend, I am so grateful for having met you " in a moment. And that's just not good.

I hope with Avowed they can deliver something meatier. Note that "meatier" to me doesn't have to mean that it's a crazy long experience, just something that allows the player to actually have normal progression system in the gameplay, and actually spend time with the companions.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Moreover, the way he talks about it (seriously, how is it still in pre-production?)
Here is a good post explaining what it means:
Post in thread 'WindowsCentral : Details on Xbox exclusive Avowed: The Outer Worlds meets medieval fantasy' https://www.resetera.com/threads/wi...s-meets-medieval-fantasy.498915/post-75106407

Besides Jezz already said he probably used the wrong word and expects a 2023 release. Also he said he doesn't know how old the build was in this article. Furthermore games being ~2 years in full production isn't that uncommon as some people think.
The way Obsidian and most other XGS studios at least use production is different than what people are assuming. So yes, most of you did misunderstand.
Good post and it's not just XGS studios. Santa Monica had God of War in full production for like 18 months iirc. After the first E3 Demo in 2016 iirc, they've had nothing working, except the vertical slice shown in the demo and then they made the rest of the game in that timeframe. I haven't watched the documentary in a long time, but I think those were the time frames.

Last edited:

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
Sci-fi RPG announced: "It's like [fantasy RPG] but with guns!"

Fantasy RPG announced: "It's like [sci-fi RPG] but medieval!"
This is especially funny in this case as Pillars could also be described as:

"It's like [fantasy RPG] but with guns!"

I hope I can arqebus Bleak Walker my way through this, like I did with PoE/Deadfire.

JT_77

Mar 15, 2021
This game is going to be hype. Obsidian with Microsoft money is a very good thing. 2023 for sure.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
As expected, it's going to be a while.

Excuse me?

This game was announced how long ago and they're still in pre-production?

Deep in pre-production? This game won't come out for the next 3-4 years.

deep into pre-production for a AAA game doesn't sound like 2023. it sounds like 2024+.
Here is a summary for those being concerned about this:
  • Jez admitted he probably used the wrong word. He doesn't know how old the build was. He expects a 2023 release date.
  • Piano Black made a good post
  • Even some of the best studios only have a small vertical slice after 18 months and then have ~18 months to flesh it out into a full game. Avowed seems to have a working gameplay slice, so the comparison could be relevant.

Said it before and I'll say it again, most of those games with trailers shown at that 2020 Xbox presentation won't come out until the tail end of the console generation.
This post will age like milk, unless you think 2023 and maybe 2024 (Fable?) will count as the end of the generation.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020

Yep and nobody needs to be an insider for saying his post will age like milk. PS6 and the next Xbox won't come before 2027 at the earliest. Some of the games he refers to were already in development in 2018. How long does he genuinely think development takes these days? 9 years?

I want to give him the benefit of a doubt but I can't lie that your post Polyh3dron sounds like concern trolling.

Last edited:

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (5 days): Console wars, history of infractions for similar

Yep and nobody needs to be an insider for saying his post will age like milk. PS6 and the next Xbox won't come before 2027 at the earliest. Some of the games he refers to were already in development in 2018. How long does he genuinely think development takes these days? 9 years?

I want to give him the benefit of a doubt but I can't lie that your post Polyh3dron sounds like concern trolling.

Concern trolling? I'm just going off of how early everything in that presentation looked and the uniquely glacial development pace almost every single "TRIPLE-A" first party Xbox game seems to have undergone in its modern era. I'd love to be proven wrong here, but even before the challenges of the pandemic we had stuff like the Halo Master Chief Collection taking years to fix, Scalebound's cancellation and Crackdown 3's troubled development. So many issues from so many wildly different studios.

Philosopher

Sep 5, 2018
Concern trolling? I'm just going off of how early everything in that presentation looked and the uniquely glacial development pace almost every single "TRIPLE-A" first party Xbox game seems to have undergone in its modern era. I'd love to be proven wrong here, but even before the challenges of the pandemic we had stuff like the Halo Master Chief Collection taking years to fix, Scalebound's cancellation and Crackdown 3's troubled development. So many issues from so many wildly different studios.
I'm sorry but when is the last time you've looked at a calendar? It's 2021...why not bring up the Ensemble and Lionhead closing down as well since you seem to be hitting all of tired talking points that get made in every MS thread. MCC, Scalebound and C3 all happened years ago. Let it go

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018

I mean, you say that EVERY AAA game Microsoft has put out has had trouble which is straight up factually inaccurate.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017

Clearly MS had a mixed generation, AAA wise, but Forza, Forza Horizon and Gears 4/5/Hb all got developed at speed and to a very high standard. They aren't a slow publisher. Slow isn't something people have ever really levelled at them. Quality? Yes, last gen was relatively poor overall, but that's changed already and only getting better too.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Halo Infinite got more time, and everything points to it being possibly the best Halo ever if they nail the campaign.

Psychonauts 2 got delayed, they got more content in and delivered on of the year's best titles.

Forza Horizon 5 is getting more time than the traditional 2 year wait. Everything I have read, leans towards it being an improvement on FH4.

We have gone from a period where Microsoft used to release games like MCC, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay II: games either broken or lacking content and now they are treating games with more care and people still complain?

Xbox users are going to have Redfall, Starfield, Deathloop, potentially Forza Motorsport, Crossfire X coming next year. I believe there was also a comment that not everything releasing next year had been revealed.

Let the game take time.

Last edited:

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Concern trolling? I'm just going off of how early everything in that presentation looked and
Let's stop right here. I am tired of people reading to much into reveals, because those assumptions rarely are true. Forza Horizon 5 was shown at E3 this year for the first time and releases this year. By your assumption prior to E3 this game must be really 4-5 years away. Something like that, right? After all the game wasn't even shown yet.

I mentioned God of War earlier, because there is a documentary about the game and the team is one of the best in the business. The franchise is also a great example to those putting way to much though into reveals timing and what's shown.
  • God of War 2018 was shown at E3 2016 with a gameplay demo. Surely this means the game is very far along and releases soon?! Nope. In fact the devs themselves said they had worked 18 months on this ~10 minute slice and had essentially nothing else at the time.
  • God of War Ragnarok got shown with a Logo and nothing else in 2020. Clearly the game is 7 years away !? Nope. As it turns out the game is planned for 2022.
Fact of the matter is developers or rather their marketing department will do whatever they want and show whatever they want. And nothing indicates how far along the game is. Take Starfield for example... We have seen a proper trailer for the first time this year and the game releases in 2022. So why haven't they shown gameplay?

Todd wants to show the game when it's essentially finished. Fallout 4 wasn't shown at all, until 6 months before release. How did they show a game at E3 and then release it the same year? Clearly (/s), if they couldn't shown Fallout prior to the E3 then this means the game is really early in concept phase and will release in 2077 at the earliest. Nope, not really. It released in the same year it was shown.

Last edited:

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Well, okay... I'm sorry you don't like this art style, but it doesn't make Horizon and AssCreed "cartoony". And if even Skyrim is "too vibrant" for you then uh, I guess it's nice to meet you, the one fan out there of the PS360 mushy brown-and-grey-palette, didn't think anyone liked those... ;)

Someone just needs to adjust they're monitor. Even the latest Forza games are less vibrant than they used to be because the lighting had improved. How did this Avowed looks cartoony talk start? The only thing they showed was far from that. Nintendo games are often bright, this game won't be.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Clearly MS had a mixed generation, AAA wise, but Forza, Forza Horizon and Gears 4/5/Hb all got developed at speed and to a very high standard. They aren't a slow publisher. Slow isn't something people have ever really levelled at them. Quality? Yes, last gen was relatively poor overall, but that's changed already and only getting better too.
This and there is also the fact that slow isn't "9 years in development" slow. I can't think of any Xbox game that was 8-9 years in development. If some of the 2020 shown games release in 2027-2028, then those would be 8-10 years in development. How can people seriously believe that?

Xbox One gen has raised some deserved criticism and I can understand if someone isn't 100% confident in what the new Xbox first party people do. Changing this narrative will take time. But again how can people believe games take 10 years to develop? Is there any XGS game that took so long? Nope.

Jul 26, 2018
I don't get the concern, it all sounds better than expected to me! a more vibrant world is a fresh thing from many dark fantasy themed games, action-focused combat, somewhat differentiated classes, and 2023? I'll more than happily take all that :)

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
locale wise there was definitely a lot of variety. But the color palette was pretty dark, even the lighter colors were dark in comparison to their base colors. The Rift for example had an orange/fall theme to it and while bright it's not what I would call "vibrant".
3944564-1500282686.png

The Rift is also the only place in Skyrim outside of the occasional pocket west of Whiterun that isn't snow or gray.

I love Skyrim. I think I've played it for more hours than any other game (around 1300 last I checked). It is an incredible game. But "vibrant" is not what I'd call it at all.

Dragon Age: Inquisition is vibrant. That's what I'm picturing when hearing about Avowed.

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
We have gone from a period where Microsoft used to release games like MCC, Sea of Thieves, State of Decay II: games either broken or lacking content and now they are treating games with more care and people still complain?
Microsoft is releasing Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Age 4, Halo Infinite, FH5 in 2021 plus has had extensive content updates for the three games you listed above (MCC, Sea of Thieves and SOD2) and some other titles (Flight Sim, Fallout 76, AOE2&3, Doom Eternal). If someone states that MS is incapable of releasing games, they're simply trolling at this point.

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a hard pass for me. Nothing about the description sounded appealing

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
Most of what made ToW disappointing can be attributed to budget/timelines and directorial decisions, imo. Neither of which should really apply here. It's a weird way to describe a game though - there's nothing really unique and defining about ToW so why use the comparison?

My thoughts exactly. What they managed in their budget was great imo.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
What I'm reading, I'm interested in. I can't wait to see all the pieces pushed together sometime next year for the first time.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Microsoft is releasing Psychonauts 2, Deathloop, Age 4, Halo Infinite, FH5 in 2021 plus has had extensive content updates for the three games you listed above (MCC, Sea of Thieves and SOD2) and some other titles (Flight Sim, Fallout 76, AOE2&3, Doom Eternal). If someone states that MS is incapable of releasing games, they're simply trolling at this point.
It used to be that Game Pass would lead to AA and GAAS. That has been proven wrong.

We were similarly told that Microsoft's content pipeline would take time, and that it would be several years before they would be in position to put out great games.

Now it is that showing games early is an issue so grave.

A fantastic Flight Sim port to console, Tim Schaffer and Double Fine showing why Psychonauts 2 was worth the delays and the wait. Arkane Lyon showing up. It looks like Playground will once again deliver a top in class racer.

If 343 delivers on campaign, and Creative Assembly delivers on AoE4, this will be one of the years we look back at as the standard Microsoft needs to beat.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I am very excited to see what Obsidian can do with proper backing and not on a compressed timeline.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
This and there is also the fact that slow isn't "9 years in development" slow. I can't think of any Xbox game that was 8-9 years in development. If some of the 2020 shown games release in 2027-2028, then those would be 8-10 years in development. How can people seriously believe that?

Xbox One gen has raised some deserved criticism and I can understand if someone isn't 100% confident in what the new Xbox first party people do. Changing this narrative will take time. But again how can people believe games take 10 years to develop? Is there any XGS game that took so long? Nope.

Indeed. But the ship was already turning 3 years ago. We've started seeing the fruits of that labour already in terms of quality output. Flight Sim, Hivebusters, improved Psychonauts 2, the step up from Forza Horizon 4 to 5, the number of global publishing deals made compared to only a few years ago.

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds like a hard pass for me. Nothing about the description sounded appealing
not surprising especially when you consider the entirety of XGS to be mediocre...and Obsidian is now part of XGS.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
arsene_P5 thanks for the nice words, glad you thought it was a useful post. And good point about God of War.

Unfortunately people will believe whatever they want I guess, despite Obsidian's track record. But I'm excited for Avowed and wouldn't expect it any later than 2023.