Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Some more from Klob

I was talking about the specific spell & atmosphere. The Avowed reveal trailer is a CGI by Axis Studios -- it's difficult to judge visuals over pre-alpha stuff, see Redfall. The game is shaping up to have large, beautiful fantasy environments, which almost remind me of Fable somewhat. Skyrim, in direct visual/art style comparison, looks pale and muted. Lots of trees that slightly move in the wind, colourful vegetation, grass, big mushrooms, waterfalls. That is my main take away.

I don't want to compare it too much. Just saying what I felt when I saw it. It will very much be its own style, just trying to find words to describe what I saw. The colors and vegetation reminded me of Fable, just without that 'goofiness' of objects, but the scale and forest made me think of a vibrant Skyrim. It looks much more dense and rich in vegetation compared to The Outer Worlds, the color palette is similar, but not as extreme. Personally, I think people will love what Obsidian is creating here.

Nothing more from me on this topic. Jez had a pretty insane scoop here, I think he did a good job describing the game.

Stormblessed

Feb 21, 2019
I wish Avowed was 3rd person, otherwise its just going to be a magic shooter.
Melee combat is so bad with First Person games. It was understandable in the early days like with Dark side of Xeen
Might and Magic: Darkside of Xeen 12

but if you are going 3d open world, it just comes off as clunky or simplistic spam. Combat mods are the only reason I even bought Skyrim 8 year after it launched.
In your opinion. In my opinion exploring a fantasy world in first person is more immersive and engaging then being a camera behind a character exploring it. The interactivity and immersiveness of elder scrolls blows all other fantasy rpgs out of the water

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
I'm not sure I 've ever indicated otherwise. Gears was the only franchise i've had any real interest in from them. But my interest came mostly from the Epic gears. You acting like i'm flopping around, lol
No one is saying that you are flopping. You have your mind made up that as a whole, XGS is mediocre.

What they make does not have to align with your taste for them to be a great unit as a whole. You seem to have an idea that what aligns to your taste is empirical evidence as to what is quality and what is not. Which is why christocolus said it is not surprising that you came to this conclusion given the quoted comment.

It is what it is.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
this is one of my most expected games, yes. i am very ready to see this soon, fingers crossed :)

Alpha_ulquiorra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No one is saying that you are flopping. You have your mind made up that as a whole, XGS is mediocre.

What they make does not have to align with your taste for them to be a great unit as a whole. You seem to have an idea that what aligns to your taste is empirical evidence as to what is quality and what is not. Which is why christocolus said it is not surprising that you came to this conclusion given the quoted comment.

It is what it is.
I said it sounded like a hard pass from the description. Never did indicate my opinion was fact as to what it empirical evidence. or are only echo chambers allowed here?

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Said it before and I'll say it again, most of those games with trailers shown at that 2020 Xbox presentation won't come out until the tail end of the console generation.
Destiny 2: Beyond Light - Released.
Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis - Released.
The Medium - Released.
Psuchonauts 2 - Released.
Tell Me Why - Released.
Balan Wonderland - Released.
Dragon Quest XI S - Released.
Echo Generation -2021.
Halo Infinite - 2021.
The Gunk - December 2021.
As Dusk Falls - Cross gen. Likely 2022.
Warhammer 40,000: Darktide - 2022.
Crossfire X - 2022
STALKER 2 - 2022.
Forza Motorsport - Likely 2022.
Avowed - targeting 2023.

State of Decay 3 - The last installment arrived in 2018. Is it likely that a sequel comes in at the tail end of the generation?

The only games we are unsure of are Fable and Everwild. Looks like Everwild will target 2024.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
The Medium - Released.
Tell Me Why - Released.
Echo Generation -2021.
Halo Infinite - 2021.
Crossfire X - 2022
STALKER 2 - 2022.
Avowed - targeting 2023.

State of Decay 3 - The last installment arrived in 2018. Is it likely that a sequel comes in at the tail end of the generation?

The only games we are unsure of are Fable and Everwild. Looks like Everwild will target 2024.
Oof haha

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not much substantial to really hook my interest yet. I haven't been much into previous Obsidian games, but will still keep an eye on this when it surfaces.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Medium - Released.
Tell Me Why - Released.
Echo Generation -2021.
Halo Infinite - 2021.
Crossfire X - 2022
STALKER 2 - 2022.
Avowed - targeting 2023.

Oh shit, Destiny 2: Beyond Light, PSO2: New Genesis, Balan Wonderworld, and Dragon Quest XI S have been released?

I sure got owned there.

gremlinz1982

Aug 11, 2018
Oh shit, Destiny 2: Beyond Light, PSO2: New Genesis, Balan Wonderworld, and Dragon Quest XI S have been released?

I sure got owned there.
On Starfield:
This is totally delaying to 2023.

On Microsoft's gaming trajectory:
By the very end of the gen it'll probably be the value leader, but Sony will have too much momentum for Xbox to catch up.

If Xbox maintains their current trajectory they could really fire all cylinders with their next gen console, but that would be dependent on no Mattrick type exec coming in to lay waste to the whole division.

AAA game development takes a long time, even more so when you're Microsoft for some reason.

The fact that 7 years in to Spencer's takeover, that they are still basically at a standstill in terms of first party releases, is kind of mindblowing to me. Yes yes, I know they acquired a metric fuckton of studios that have been hard at work but they launched a new-generation console with absolutely nothing from a first party standpoint, which shows just how bad it got for their dev studio situation. Every year I would have Xbox diehards telling me to wait for E3, they'll drop all the megatons then, and of course every year they would just show a ton of multiplatform stuff and then I would have to wade through thinkpieces telling me Xbox won E3 because their presser was a "fun show", or something to that effect.

The stuff they showed last year was so early that people from Rare even said they still didn't know what Everwild even was yet. At the rate they are going, Xbox Game Studios will not be releasing stuff at full bore until the tail end of this console generation.

Mattrick's shortsightedness damn near killed the Xbox brand off for good.

Everwild? Launch window?

Last we heard a couple months ago they still don't know what the game IS.

Xbox Game Studios won't be firing all cylinders until the middle to tail end of this console generation, provided they don't Mattrick the whole thing.

The Series X looks to be a well-engineered console. But it has launched without even a single standout first party game and the first one to release seems to be in the distant future.

The Xbox recovery seems to be slower than the 2008 financial collapse recovery.
Link

You have bought your own propaganda. And I could go on and on.

This year alone, Microsoft will have:
Flight Simulator on console.
Psychonauts 2.
Deathloop.
Halo Infinite.
Forza Horizon 5.
Age of Empires IV.

Next year, it looks like we will see:

Crossfire X.
As Dusk Falls.
Redfall.
Starfield.
Ghostwire: Tokyo.
Forza Motorsport.
Grounded.

Yet we live in a world where some have convinced themselves, somehow that Xbox will not hit its stride until the tail end of the generation. If all you focus on is Fable, Perfect Dark, Avowed, State of Decay 3, Everwild, Contraband and miss everything else, then the above opinion becomes viable despite its deviation from reality.

Your problem though is that you seem to have an infatuation with the past and what Microsoft got wrong to be able to see what they have got right. Or to even recognize that the content pipeline is good enough to sustain itself as some of the above mentioned games are still being developed.

One could ask how different this approach is to Sony having revealed games being developed by Haven, Firewalk, Deviation, Wolverine etc while releasing games in the near term? It isn't, yet Microsoft that is going to be releasing more games, and more AAA games than they have for a long time each year is going to catch their stride in year 6 or 7 of the generation?

Come on man. Either trolling or bad faith argument.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
Last edited:

najaschade

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 13, 2021
I really didn't like Outer Worlds, although I might have more fun with Avowed if they don't sell it as much as New Vegas in Space/Fantasy World.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
The Medium - Released.
Tell Me Why - Released.
Echo Generation -2021.
Halo Infinite - 2021.
Crossfire X - 2022
STALKER 2 - 2022.
Avowed - targeting 2023.

Thanks for taking the time to make a list based on facts. Clearly shows that he is completely wrong and I think Avowed based on their last released games and how long Avowed is now in development, that the game will arrive in 2023 or absolute worst case 2024. That's mid and not the end of the generation.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So Jez said on the podcast he held alot of info back. Also the gameplay stuff he had and the screenshots. As that would spoil to much and also set different expectations etc. Because pre alpha etc offcourse.
Also confirmed its set in the Living Lands. Something sponger said last year

Last edited:

Laver

Banned
Mar 30, 2018
Also confirmed its set in the Living Lands.
For context:
pillarsofeternity.fandom.com

The Living Lands

The Living Lands is a large, diversely-populated, meteorologically variable frontier island far to the north of the Aedyran empire.[1] It is a land of wild weather, strange beasts, and hundreds of difficult-to-reach valleys containing oddities never before seen by mortals.[2] It serves as the...

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
In general he went quite ham with Obisidian btw.
He said Obisidan plan is to release a game every year. Grounded 2022, Avowed 2023, ToW 2 2024 and Saywer his project (smaller like Grounded) in 2025
He has seen Saywer his project also already and also ToW2

Obsidian unleashed? :P

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
He said Obisidan plan is to release a game every year. Grounded 2022, Avowed 2023, ToW 2 2024 and Saywer his project (smaller like Grounded) in 2025
He talked about more projects called. Project Shaolin Project Belfrey

For clarity, Shaolin and Belfrey were publishing projects not obsidian

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
The thing that made Pillars of Eternity stand out were the weird classes, like Chanter and Cypher, as well as races like the Godlikes.

Hopefully Avowed carries the same "out there" weirdness, rather than being just "vanilla" 1st person fantasy RPG.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I hope this (and Outer Worlds 2) have an option for third person. I just think it's a shame making a cool looking character then never seeing them.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
So Jez said on the podcast he held alot of info back. Also the gameplay stuff he had and the screenshots. As that would spoil to much and also set different expectations etc. Because pre alpha etc offcourse.
Also confirmed its set in the Living Lands. Something sponger said last year

"He also said about Avowed that there are spells with hand animations like the one in trailer, like lightning from hands, poison touch, Fus ro dah esque power but its a kick, etc. He didn't mention it in article as its in pre-alpha and didn't want to report these features in detail in case they get cut out."

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017

Every year? That is surprising, given their current size. Unless they have massively grown by then.

It's crazy how much their output is changing/improving.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Jez talks abit more about this in this podcast vid. Starts at 1:13 until like 1:20
Seems he saw a big chunk of it. Lots off different gameplay styles, character etc. That it already looked in a very solid state.

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Starting to see a common theme with all the games announced during Xbox's 2020 showcase.
What does this add to the discussion because it just sounds like yet another long list of drop in digs.

Game sounds great, games take a long time to create, especially in a pandemic. Microsoft needed to show stuff so people can invest for the future and it makes it very difficult to do when you are down to 5 studios and buy a bunch to help guarantee future content so that people are willing to spend money on your platform.