jtb

Oct 25, 2017
That's nice and all but the fact that it's only in pre-production means that basically everything could change between now and release. Maybe there's a playable prototype/vertical slice or something but pretty unlikely the final product will look or play anything like what they're working on now....... so this seems a bit premature.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
That's nice and all but the fact that it's only in pre-production means that basically everything could change between now and release. Maybe there's a playable prototype/vertical slice or something but pretty unlikely the final product will look or play anything like what they're working on now....... so this seems a bit premature.
Jez clarified that pre-alpha is probably a better word, i linked the tweet a few posts up

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
vaguely tolken setting, the finger wiggles system of magic, warrior=tank, etc
Eora's setting is more based on the1600a than the traditional medieval setting that most tolkien style fantasy emulate. Its a world on the brink of change, there's guns, and engineers. It's represented by the science of "animancy" (study of the soul) in the game. That is, of course, if this isn't actually a prequel. I get how you can see it that way though.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Eora is not Medieval though?
Something having swords doesn't make it medieval. Eora is much more comparable to the Renaissance or general 16-17th century earth.

Eora is not even remotely Tolkienesque.
DnD-eqse would descended from Tolken, all western fantasy is derivative of the same stuff

Oct 12, 2020
Hope some of that good Pillars lore is rolled into this. Can't wait.

I've actually been playing PoE for the first time in recent weeks. Absolutely LOVE the story and the lore, but the isometric gameplay isn't really my speed. Give me the quality of writing and lore of PoE in an vibrant first person package…and I can see Avowed being almost my perfect game.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
DnD-eqse would descended from Tolken, all western fantasy is derivative of the same stuff
If we're bundling all modern fantasy (let's be real - Tolkien's influence has far surpassed just the "Western" part of the world) - Then sure, all fantasy is somewhat Tolkienesque, but then the term loses all meaning. It's like saying all first person games are generally Doom-clones.
Tolkien's fantasy has a very specific feel and way to approach mythology. These things are not really present in Eora, other than Eora having Elves I guess.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I refuse. These are happy times. I actually hope Avowed doesn't go for sandbox and is more action/hub oriented. Starfield, I think, is going fill that role nicely. And it releases before.

Well.. Starfield is also broken into multiple planets, which sounds cool.. but honestly also dissapointed me to hear ( ;) ). I want that joy of having a massive world to wander across and happen upon things I get from Fallout / TES games, that most games fail at (they have a large world, but it's rarely something you can wander across from the start, and it's not Fallout/TES like in much of any way other than size.)

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
From Klob in the XGS OT
"TIL gamers, for the most part, have no idea what "pre-production" means :)"

Lol that smiley face at end is so condescending. People have the right idea of what that word means. Even Jez said that maybe pre-alpha is a better word coz it is actually further along.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A Morrowind-like setting would make this game a fucking chef's kiss. Gimme those weird environments please.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
To many games to play, I will be excited only in a few years when the game launch and I will play it through gamepass.

Nest19

Feb 17, 2021

Lol that smiley face at end is so condescending. People have the right idea of what that word means. Even Jez said that maybe pre-alpha is a better word coz it is actually further along.
People definitely don't judging by some comments here.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Since vibrant colors usually mean that the style will look cartoony.
Can you provide me with an example where this isn't the case?
Horizon Zero Dawn, AssCreed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla are good examples. Very vibrant and saturated colour palette. It's called the hyperrealistic or "BBC realism" style.
kotaku.com

Horizon Zero Dawn Looks Unnaturally Good Because Of 'Hyper-Realism'

Horizon Zero Dawn is a beautiful game. Sometimes, it seems too beautiful. Here’s how the developers achieved such an uncannily gorgeous look.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017

I feel like even just reading the article without his correction there, it's pretty clear 'pre-alpha' if you take all the context and details he presents.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States

Seems like Jez considers it to be pre-production until everything is fully implemented. I always thought production was the process of implementing. 🤷

Yeah uh I'm reasonably sure that's actual production, not pre-production. Okay then.

What "lie"? It's not our fault if the author of the article doesn't know what he's talking about and is being confusing...

Yeah some people are assuming that when you say pre-production, you mean pre-production, "lololol" such dumb-dumbs amirite 🙄

Yeah, he messed up using pre-production. Too late to put the genie back in the bottle though. We'll be seeing "pre-production" as a point against this game for years.

What even counts as pre production?

The way Obsidian and most other XGS studios at least use production is different than what people are assuming. So yes, most of you did misunderstand.

Preproduction refers to building out a complete vertical slice. All the systems are implemented. There's a small section of the game you can actually play through. It's basically shippable quality (though of course likely to be iterated and improved further during production).

Full production is the process of building out the entire rest of the game.

Deep in preproduction means something like "we have almost everything done and working, but only a small section of the world/quests etc exist so far."

The way it's being used here does not at all indicate Obsidian is still in a design or "on paper" phase.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
I don't really think this does the game any service. It's a little more than fleshed-out speculation from what we already know of where it's set.

Drawing attention to the Outer Worlds isn't going to do Avowed any favours, either. I thought that game's art direction ended up rather more gaudy than distinctive. Plus the fact that the game was an FPS, for the most part.

Deleted member 93062

Account closed at user request
Banned
Mar 4, 2021
I don't really think this does the game any service. It's a little more than fleshed-out speculation from what we already know of where it's set.

Drawing attention to the Outer Worlds isn't going to do Avowed any favours, either. I thought that game's art direction ended up rather more gaudy than distinctive. Plus the fact that the game was an FPS, for the most part.
I don't mind FPS RPGs, I loved Skyrim. But I was never to fond of Outer Worlds.. If this is just Outer Worlds meets Skyrim, I probably won't like it either. But I'm excited for it.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
The comparison is with Skyrim. Can simply mean...more vibrant. Doesn't mean they are going some Fortnite route with the style. That's not really Obsidion's MO anyway, is it?
The comparison was with Oblivion too, and Oblivion is very vibrant and colorful. It's hard to imagine a more colorful game that isn't cartoony. Jez described Avowed as a more vibrant, brighter The Outer Worlds (which is again, very colorful already):

"The finished art style is expected to elevate what we saw in The Outer Worlds, though, with a brighter, more lively color palette"

I doesn't help that I really dislike The Outer Worlds' art style. It was too busy and made it hard to take anything seriously.

Oh well. It's disappointing, but it is what it is. At least I like that there seems to be a focus on magic. I might not default to a stealth archer in this game.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
As someone who completely bounced off of Outer Worlds, I'm actually really looking forward to this. More than Elder Scrolls VI.
If you don't mind my asking, why are you hyped for this more than TES6 when you bounced off Outer Worlds, which seems like a somewhat closer comparison? Not trying to judge mind you, I'm just curious what has you hyped...

Then again I'm pretty hyped for this game too and I only got like 2 hours into Outer Worlds before stopping, though that was more a case of the wrong game for the time than actually not being a fan of the game

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
The comparison was with Oblivion too, and Oblivion is very vibrant and colorful. It's hard to imagine a more colorful game that isn't cartoony. Jez described Avowed as a more vibrant, brighter The Outer Worlds (which is again, very colorful already):

"The finished art style is expected to elevate what we saw in The Outer Worlds, though, with a brighter, more lively color palette"

I doesn't help that I really dislike The Outer Worlds' art style. It was too busy and made it hard to take anything seriously.

Oh well. It's disappointing, but it is what it is. At least I like that there seems to be a focus on magic. I might not default to a stealth archer in this game.
Agreed about the busy/cluttered look of OW's art style. It was not good to me. It's always hard as hell for me not to be a stealth archer.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle

It honestly made me wonder if Jez has played either Skyrim or Oblivion.. particularly when he mentioned " Luminescent cave mushrooms" lol.. something Skyrim has lol.. it has an entire MASSIVE cave "city" that is nothing but.. luminescent cave mushrooms.

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
So, Klobrille brings the hype with confirmation of focus on 1st person spell animations. If it's indeed attempting to re-create the feel of the trailer in gameplay then it's definitely something to look forward to, in my book.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
It honestly made me wonder if Jez has played either Skyrim or Oblivion.. particularly when he mentioned " Luminescent cave mushrooms" lol.. something Skyrim has lol.. it has an entire MASSIVE cave "city" that is nothing but.. luminescent cave mushrooms.
Lol same! That article is baffling and often contradictory. He says Avowed is Obsidian's take on The Elder Scrolls and then he says that it's likely hub-based, with classes and spells being limited to loadouts, which is against TES's sandbox philosophy of "be anything you want and do anything you want."

Jerm411

Oct 27, 2017
Clinton, MO
Reading this has made me go from "yeah I'll totally dig this and can't wait to see more" to HOLY SHIT GIVE IT TO ME NOWWWWW lol....

Instantly towards the top of my most anticipated games....

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
I know it's in vogue to shit on TOW for whatever reason, but TIL people have progressed to hating on The Outer Worlds full stop in every way conceivable. Which is strange, because it's a good game. It's not the best game, but it is a fairly well-made game that has its own unique setting and tone and manages to hit that quite well. The questlines didn't feature as much choice and consequence as I would have wanted in the backend (and you could feel the constraints in the environment and world), but never would I attach the word "vapid" to the writing. WTF? I enjoyed many of the characters, many of whom had quite a lot of dialogue and content that I enjoyed quite a lot. The writing was funny and I never found it cloying. Iono man.

On topic, this all sounds great. The idea that there shouldn't be any colorful bits to this game is real strange. There should be dark parts and there should be spectacular parts. I'm really glad that Obsidian will have the time and the budget to really make what they want to. 2023 sounds like a great target, and if it gets pushed to 2024 - fantastic. Hope they get all the time they deserve and that they're supported all the way through.

Akronis

Prophet of Regret - Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't a huge fan of The Outer Worlds, but still excited to see how this shapes up.

Xadra

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2018
This game is going to be amazing.

Pity is not coming out before 2023 but at least I'll have time to play Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire. Still not having played that game is killing me, POE 1 was fantastic and one of my favorite games.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
2022 starfield
2023 Avowed
That is gonna be an amazing 2 years of RPGs if Fable lands in 2023 also. Microsoft is just stacked with RPG talent and they are flooding with these games😂.

Yeah, I was gonna say. They will probably have one massive AAA RPG per year from here on out for the entire gen, and maybe even two a year eventually.

2022 = Starfield
2023 = Avowed
202x = Fable
202x = inXile AAA RPG (supposidely one of the biggest RPGs in development 👀)
202x = The Elder Scrolls 6
202x = The Outer Worlds 2
202x = Zenimax AAA MMORPG

And I feel like I'm missing something but this is most of what's already announced, and apparently we only know a third of the games in development at Xbox so I'm sure a there's other RPGs, too.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
I really don't get why vibrant would mean cartoony.

Also, we have seen the CGI announcement trailer, it's not going to have cartoony art style.

They probably entered or about to enter full-production soon. If the release date is set for summer to fall 2023 it's achievable.

1 1/2 to 2 years full production isn't that unusual. It's probably also not going to be a Skyrim sized game.

Anyway, with everything that's going on right now, a 2024 release after a delay is probably a safer bet. Its first gameplay showing will give a better indication for that.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Since vibrant colors usually mean that the style will look cartoony.
Can you provide me with an example where this isn't the case?

Ironically (considering Jez's comment), Skyrim:

0wpEGd7.jpeg

Fl4vMme.jpeg

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
I know it's in vogue to shit on TOW for whatever reason, but TIL people have progressed to hating on The Outer Worlds full stop in every way conceivable. Which is strange, because it's a good game. It's not the best game, but it is a fairly well-made game that has its own unique setting and tone and manages to hit that quite well. The questlines didn't feature as much choice and consequence as I would have wanted in the backend (and you could feel the constraints in the environment and world), but never would I attach the word "vapid" to the writing. WTF? I enjoyed many of the characters, many of whom had quite a lot of dialogue and content that I enjoyed quite a lot. The writing was funny and I never found it cloying. Iono man.

Outer Worlds is incredibly disappointing to what people expected from an obsidian game. It's not bad, its boring, which sometimes is an even greater sin. Game falls of a cliff hard as soon as you reach Monarch and i was forcing myself to finish it by that point. DLC was fun though.

And i disagree about characters. Only Parvati is particularly notable, the rest range from mildly annoying and forgettable to completely forgettable

Quasi

Banned
Aug 24, 2021

www.windowscentral.com

Details on Xbox exclusive Avowed: The Outer Worlds meets medieval fantasy

There are more reasons than ever to be excited about Xbox Game Studios' future.
The article is based on pre-alpha documentation/footage/screens (Updated Quote) :

Game details :

Hellblade II later this year (probably The Game Awards) :

Jeff Grubb has also previously said/reported that Avowed is penciled in for 2023 on internal MS documentation:

On were it is in production :

From Klobrille :

Sounds good. I just hope they enhanced the Outer Worlds engine quite a bit (like characters actually being able to have longer hair for instance) and that they make the skill trees and perks way more exciting than that were in that game.

Glad they went with a more vibrant and colourful aesthetic though. We've got enough dark medieval fantasy worlds.

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher 3 Blood and wine. Cyberpunk, while the game itsself was a disaster, was a colorful piece of eyecandy.
Horizon Zero Dawn, AssCreed Origins/Odyssey/Valhalla are good examples.
Forza horizon 5 / Horizon forbidden west.
Well, the problem with all these examples is that they do look too cartooney IMO and it does ruin what could've been a much better visual atmosphere.
B&W's visual style when compared to the original game is more cartooney for example.
CP2077 specifically doesn't look anywhere close to how I would want a cyberpunk game to look like.

The comparison is with Skyrim. Can simply mean...more vibrant. Doesn't mean they are going some Fortnite route with the style. That's not really Obsidion's MO anyway, is it?
More vibrant than Skyrim is already too vibrant in my book.

I'd say Forza Horizon 5 has pretty vibrant colours. I'm not sure I'd call that game cartoony.
Journalists are calling Elden Ring vibrant. Do you think it will look like Fortnite?
Haven't played these games so can't tell how they look.
Marketing materials are not a good way to judge a game's style or aesthetic.

Ironically (considering Jez's comment), Skyrim:
Yeah, Skyrim was kinda vibrant already IMO so Avowed being even more vibrant is a troubling idea.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Yeah, Skyrim was kinda vibrant already IMO so Avowed being even more vibrant is a troubling idea.

I don't know why that would be troubling.. if you took Skyrim and made it w/ modern lighting systems.. meaning truly lit, things glowing... which means actual dark areas that are dark, and lit brightly if you bring a light source nearby.. you'd get Skyrim but more vibrant.

It really doesn't have to be all that cartoony. Games like that feature things that don't appear in nature.. glowing purple / blue / red spells aren't exactly something "real", so they are by default fantastical.. but don't have to be presented like a cartoon.