• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

esserius

Oct 26, 2017
I actually liked Tia's redesign from "sad girly who didnt get the guy" to one with chains, traps, and creepy dolls in a briefcase (and a nice big smile!). Not as keen on the rest (well, besides the artwork being done by what seems like a more talented artist), but I did like the dumb one getting pink hair. We need more guys unafraid to go pink! x)

...argh I hate to say it, but that was a great video with some good tips and pointers. :/ I kinda think you took some of the wrong lessons from the video IMO.
Skill is important, but speed is such a big deal (one of the best practice methods is to do your 20x 1 minute figure drawings). You really can't afford to spend DAYS at a time mulling hours and hours over perspective and design and details on EVERYTHING, especially for concept art where it really won't be seen in any place other than a dev studio and a future artbook (so criticizing concept art for being "quickly done" feels like a strange hill to stand on; but I guess it really depends on what the art is for). People have their limits, and 3D is undoubtedly the future of certain parts of digital artistry; this is sort of just the "evolution" of using real human references or snapping pictures -- but now 3D offers a lot more control. Skill is 100% important, but 3D as a tool is totally invaluable (a small example: I love using a generic 3D skull just to ensure capturing proper proportions of the head/face as the head twists and turns; it's like 5x faster than figuring that out on my own and I still tend to overlay "cartoony proportions" where/when needed). I didn't care what they were drawing in the video (NA studios tend to be less creative for more grounded while Japanese titles almost go the other way completely IMO), but he's got a point about using certain tools to do better work.

I'm not really sure how you're relating this to the Persona art now do I know what you're really trying to say. I mean, Soejima and MANY artists suffer from staying in their comfort zones and giving "same face" (they find that an "ideal look" and tend to keep at it). But also don't forget it's really a process between artist and project director's who approve designs. The Persona artbooks will definitely confirm most characters had radically different design ideas at first (just look at all these "attempts" for Atelier characters) That said, while I was inspired my anime art early on, I've always hated stuff like "dot noses" and simple "line eyebrows" (there's no personality in those!! Eugene Levy has at least 10....no, 20% of his career thanks to those brows! xD ). I'm not sure what "mass produced art" truly means; most art still takes a lot of work....

The thing you said about colour and simpler designs is... more about design philosophy IMO. Some game's go all out on complicated designs, but not all of them really have to. But other game restrictions too; simpler rendering is one thing (we had a few gens of basic hairdos because animating long 3D hair or various complicated/chunky non-clipping objects is a nightmare) but also for easier recognition. Take Xenoblade 2 (sorry, I know). The character colouring works beautifully against the game's huge environments to make them stand out easily from afar. I think the colouring is a ""bad habit" from decades of power rangers media :P , but it does look visually pleasant and makes characters very distinctive.
maxresdefault.jpg

...But of course art is a business; most artists can't afford to treat it otherwise all the time. It's a sad truth of most art that only a few lucky folk are strictly drawing the exact things they want.

(...if Im wrong about anything here please tell me, I'm sick, my head feel like shit, and I'm...still posting here cuz im bored lol)
I don't think its' necessarily about drawing things they want per se, but at least drawing things they care about. And yeah, I think it's a good video too, sadly. It's just frustrating to watch business overtake the art. That said, from you've described, it makes me question the purpose of concept art as a design methodology. It seems like it would just be simpler to push something from Blender to a game render engine like Unity, rather than bothering with concept art as all, if its only value is a half a page in an artbook. Again, the more I read / watch / understand about game concept art, the more it seems like it's about developing toys, rather than art. There's art in there, but art isn't the focus in creating video games. And I don't see this as nearly as much of an issue in movies / music / literature / traditional art. TV at one point may have been an exception, and anime is still an exception, but most of the other creative industries have found a balance that allows for the creation of art that isn't just half a page in an artbook. And the thing is, I didn't always feel this way. As time has gone on, video games have felt more like products, like soap or detergent, rather than explorations of a new medium. I don't feel this way about other forms of media, and while I think they also have their problems, I find the game design industry far more fraught.

It's probably also why the designs tend to be so sexist and objectifying, because if they're just toys (and in Japan's case, toys for boys), people pay a lot less attention, even if there's clear offense (also seems to be why gacha is okay, despite being exploitative in the extreme).

FulcrumTK

Oct 6, 2020
Been watching someone stream Danganronpa 2 lately. There's a character names Akane, who looks like this:

Which is whatever. There's a bigger issue with the character. Mostly through optional events, you learn some of her backstory, which on paper sounds like it'd make for a sad and dramatic reveal. She grew up poor in a seedy home, enduring various acts of sexual humiliation, including receiving "massages" from her mother's multiple boyfriends and being pressured by her mother to be a waitress at a place (a strip club?) with extremely revealing uniforms. The game, of course, completely plays this for laughs.

It's bewildering, because the game genuinely has fun and varied female characters, at least in terms of personality. Hell, Akane herself is pretty cool. Even if there are some unfortunate awkward moments of sexualization for her, the game manages to not sexualize her at all during her fight scenes (unlike Sakura in the previous game).

I really have enjoyed a lot of the writing in the series, but between sexual harassment getting played for laughs and the big load of transphobic shit that was DR1 Chapter 2, I don't think I'd enjoy playing the series myself that much. It honestly makes me want to write my own murder mystery so I can have a version of DR without all its bullshit, though I doubt I have the talent.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Been watching someone stream Danganronpa 2 lately. There's a character names Akane, who looks like this:

Which is whatever. There's a bigger issue with the character. Mostly through optional events, you learn some of her backstory, which on paper sounds like it'd make for a sad and dramatic reveal. She grew up poor in a seedy home, enduring various acts of sexual humiliation, including receiving "massages" from her mother's multiple boyfriends and being pressured by her mother to be a waitress at a place (a strip club?) with extremely revealing uniforms. The game, of course, completely plays this for laughs.

It's bewildering, because the game genuinely has fun and varied female characters, at least in terms of personality. Hell, Akane herself is pretty cool. Even if there are some unfortunate awkward moments of sexualization for her, the game manages to not sexualize her at all during her fight scenes (unlike Sakura in the previous game).

I really have enjoyed a lot of the writing in the series, but between sexual harassment getting played for laughs and the big load of transphobic shit that was DR1 Chapter 2, I don't think I'd enjoy playing the series myself that much. It honestly makes me want to write my own murder mystery so I can have a version of DR without all its bullshit, though I doubt I have the talent.
I played through all three games this year on quarantine and have a laundry list of problems with this series, the girls are all plagued with some of the worst anime tropes. DR2 was the one i favored the most and jesus Akane....if you don't learn her optional backstory then she comes off as a very one dimensional character from just the regular story and it makes sense to me why shes among the least popular characters in DR2(I find Chiaki the worst for personal reasons but i completely understand why shes sooooo popular) , DRV3 chap 1 ruined the entire series for me though.

Jul 5, 2019
Finished Age of Calamity the other day and I'm pleasantly surprised about how well-written Zelda is.

She's essentially the main character of the game, having by far the most focus in the cutscenes, being playable in almost every level after the first, and having a full and complete arc. Even when defeating Ganon, Link's final strike against him isn't the final climactic moment, instead it's Zelda using her seeling power. I'm actually pretty happy, for years we've wanted a Zelda-focused game and then Koei Tecmo stealthily gave us one, lol. Really hoping this energy continues into BotW2 and that Zelda is playable.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
Finished Age of Calamity the other day and I'm pleasantly surprised about how well-written Zelda is.

She's essentially the main character of the game, having by far the most focus in the cutscenes, being playable in almost every level after the first, and having a full and complete arc. Even when defeating Ganon, Link's final strike against him isn't the final climactic moment, instead it's Zelda using her seeling power. I'm actually pretty happy, for years we've wanted a Zelda-focused game and then Koei Tecmo stealthily gave us one, lol. Really hoping this energy continues into BotW2 and that Zelda is playable.
Ugh, want to play but holding off until a Switch Pro or whatever comes out.

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah. The hope is that Age of Calamity is setting up Zelda to be the main character in BOTW 2

esserius

Oct 26, 2017

It'd be nice if they made a new game and just called it "The Legend of Zelda" with Zelda as the only character.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
People that recommend Danganronpa, Steins;Gate, etc (without caveats) in recommendation threads automatically go on my "do not listen to this person" list.

I really enjoy visual novels but basically all of the ones I've played have real stupid treatment of female characters. Kurisu from Steins;Gate is one of my favorite video game characters but even she's not free from the otaku baiting. A lot of the time it just feels like obligation, really.

Ace Attorney is one of the few exceptions but even that series kicks off with Mia and April's designs (and has things like Pearl channeling Mia, yeesh).

Zelda did finish off Ganon in BotW, too, but it's understandable not to really remember considering she spends the entire fight floating off screen or whatever.

It is very funny that Age of Calamity gave Zelda TWO combat options, too. Though I hope if we get playable Zelda in BotW2 she can use all the same weapons as Link.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney is one of the few exceptions but even that series kicks off with Mia and April's designs (and has things like Pearl channeling Mia, yeesh).
Ace Attorney has a lot of stuff that I definitely would not appreciate upon revisiting. Maya gets damnseled a lot in the original trilogy, among the above and other issues. Plus Franziska's motivations.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
So the other day i turned on my Xbox and there was a Game Pass add for Black Desert and the new class being available and hoooo boy:

Black-Desert-Guardian-1.jpg

I'm here in the freezing cold so i better have some fur. What do you mean i should dress appropiately? The fur keeps me warm!

It's a bit old news since the class was revealed quite a while back, sorry if it's already been discussed.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla has that stupidity as well, the berseker armour, bare upper body and pelts on shoulder and back. Many games let you wear a tshirt in a snowy area but when a character actually seems to choose to wear something to get warm they can't mess up like that.

Jul 5, 2019
Zelda did finish off Ganon in BotW, too, but it's understandable not to really remember considering she spends the entire fight floating off screen or whatever.

It is very funny that Age of Calamity gave Zelda TWO combat options, too. Though I hope if we get playable Zelda in BotW2 she can use all the same weapons as Link.
One idea I had to make Zelda distinct if she were playable in BotW2, was to allow her to customize her own weapon from finding objects throughout the world. It would both add an interesting new gameplay mechanic, be in-character for her, and possibly address the common weapon durability complaint about BotW (not that it personally bugged me).

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017

Good to hear, the added female characters in the original Hyrule Warriors sucked so I was apprehensive what KT would do with Zelda's role in AoC

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
There's an appeal to the idea of visual novel games that still have real genuine gameplay moments to them. The class trials are a fun idea. Dangonronpa is just so constantly gross throughout the entire series though.

Last edited:

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
There's an appeal to the idea of visual novel games that still have real genuine gameplay moments to them. The class trials are a fun idea. Dangonronpa is just so constantly gross throughout the entire series though.
Im in the minority but i hated the class trials, its like 50% repeating what i already know, 25% minigames, 5% some funny/memorable lines, and 20% what i didn't know/reveal. It just always felt like a chore to get through but thats just me.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Im in the minority but i hated the class trials, its like 50% repeating what i already know, 25% minigames, 5% some funny/memorable lines, and 20% what i didn't know/reveal. It just always felt like a chore to get through but thats just me.

Its valid for you to not enjoy the class trials, but at that point I'd feel like the entire game is just an irredeemable garbage fire.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
Its valid for you to not enjoy the class trials, but at that point I'd feel like the entire game is just an irredeemable garbage fire.
I kind of regret the time i put into this series, I should have put that time into finishing the Ace Attorney trilogy. I even watched that shitty DR3 anime

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I saw some cool promo art for War of the Visions: Final Fantasy Brave Exvius characters (so many FF mobage!?) and I realized yes it's that certain JRPG artist again. It's sad since all the male heroes wear normal armor sets from I saw from the wiki.

wotv-characters.jpg

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
After playing Danganronpa V3 earlier this year I think I might just be done with Visual Novels as a genre for a while. I really enjoyed Ace Attorney, but there were plenty of problems with how they treated their female cast, and some truly weird bits of fanservice. Dual Destinies especially had a case that felt pretty unpleasant. I tried 999 and VLR but those games had some truly nonsensical fanservice for seemingly no reason at all.

Danganronpa as a series is easily the most frustrating to me. It has some neat ideas, and I am fine with the concept of super exaggerated archetypal characters, but how all the games handle gender and sexualization is a mess. Even P4 Dancing all night have a visual novel type of story, and it just failed it's female cast completely. Maybe I just need to try some with female leads, but so far I don't think I've seen many that have that.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
After playing Danganronpa V3 earlier this year I think I might just be done with Visual Novels as a genre for a while. I really enjoyed Ace Attorney, but there were plenty of problems with how they treated their female cast, and some truly weird bits of fanservice. Dual Destinies especially had a case that felt pretty unpleasant. I tried 999 and VLR but those games had some truly nonsensical fanservice for seemingly no reason at all.

Danganronpa as a series is easily the most frustrating to me. It has some neat ideas, and I am fine with the concept of super exaggerated archetypal characters, but how all the games handle gender and sexualization is a mess. Even P4 Dancing all night have a visual novel type of story, and it just failed it's female cast completely. Maybe I just need to try some with female leads, but so far I don't think I've seen many that have that.

I believe House in Fata Morgana might be what you're looking for? I have yet to play it myself (waiting for the Switch port) but I've heard very good things about its female characters.

There are also otome games which typically have female leads tho they focus on male romances for the most part, naturally. I keep meaning to research if any of them are compelling outside of that.

I'd also say Hotel Dusk and Another Code are pretty solid DS VN's that didn't have anything in the way of sexualization from what I remember, but it has been a while.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
I believe House in Fata Morgana might be what you're looking for? I have yet to play it myself (waiting for the Switch port) but I've heard very good things about its female characters.

There are also otome games which typically have female leads tho they focus on male romances for the most part, naturally. I keep meaning to research if any of them are compelling outside of that.

I'd also say Hotel Dusk and Another Code are pretty solid DS VN's that didn't have anything in the way of sexualization from what I remember, but it has been a while.

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll check some of these out. I don't generally like ruling out entire genres of games. I just think I have become increasingly tired of certain gendered tropes, and combining that with frequent fanservice just completely kills my urge to play certain games anymore. The ones you mention sound super promising.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa as a series is easily the most frustrating to me. It has some neat ideas, and I am fine with the concept of super exaggerated archetypal characters, but how all the games handle gender and sexualization is a mess.
That's a shame as I want to play these games one day!

Foot

Mar 10, 2019

I'd suggest trying a non-Japanese one. Try NeoCab, a very well written story about a cab driver in the future.

Skittles

Oct 25, 2017
It also doesnt help that V3 is actively mediocre outside of the ending and start. Game coulda been a whole lot better but I'm guessing some ingrained sexism got in the way

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Stay the hell away from Ultra Despair Girls whatever you do, it's irrelevant to the other games and dramatically worse by all metrics. By far the least liked of the games for good reason.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017

The house in fata morgana is one of my favorite storys of all time, its the first game that had me crying ugly tears. It was my first VN besides Ace Attorney( if that counts), the worst thing is that it set the bar high for me. Also its completely devoid of that anime trope cringe save for 1 scene in chapter 5 but imo even that isn't anywhere near shit that umineko or danganronpa pull. That being said there is one relationship dynamic thats very problematic in the prequel "A Requiem for Innocence".The game and characters even acknowledge it but it doesnt really excuse it. This game created a character ive never been so conflicted with liking/disliking....its hard to talk about this game because going in blindly is the best way to experience it.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
If you want to try less depressing VN I suggest otome games:
www.resetera.com

Otome Community Thread: A New Era of Beefcakes

https://www.reddit.com/r/otomegames/comments/jy3hyb/collar_x_malice_unlimited_patch/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf Unless something happened the patch should be with Nintendo for approval now.

I try to mention the problematic games too since I quit DR over DR3 and damn it's been a while.

Kenzo

alt account
Banned
Oct 9, 2020
Tsushima
Didn't know whether to put this here or the diversity thread, but this is a cool article from last month:

www.rockpapershotgun.com

The mainstream FPS only knows one kind of Latina

I cried when I first saw Sombra at the 2016 BlizzCon opening keynote. I remembered feeling uncomfortable as a child whe…
My thoughts exactly on Loba in Apex Legends. Her design and how her backside were featured in all the season trailers reminded me of the Arkham City CatWoman DLC trailer.

Princess Bubblegum

On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I really didn't like what I played of The House of Fata Morgana. I played the first three stories and it's just pure tragedy, in the literary sense. Reading spoilers, there's payoff at the end but it really runs you through the narrows before you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Rae

Mar 7, 2019
I really didn't like what I played of The House of Fata Morgana. I played the first three stories and it's just pure tragedy, in the literary sense. Reading spoilers, there's payoff at the end but it really runs you through the narrows before you start to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

You're not alone since I got the game as a gift but I played through the 1st story before giving up. I felt like the women existed as story props for the male characters than actual individuals w/their own goals and thoughts.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
You're not alone since I got the game as a gift but I played through the 1st story before giving up. I felt like the women existed as story props for the male characters than actual individuals w/their own goals and thoughts.
I cant say it excuses it but it is very much intentional specifically the first 4 chaps are set up that way. I hate being the "It gets better" dude but if it was one series that not only does it get better but the set up for the first 4 chaps is very much intentional. That being said i don't blame anyone from dropping it because on my first playthrough after chap 3 i was puzzled why this game was favored so highly by those who played it.

The second half really makes up for it but all in all the stories are tragedies and it never really deviates from that, though some of the later story tragedies might be hard for certain viewers but i believe their is a beauty through the misery but i can only speak for myself.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Stay the hell away from Ultra Despair Girls whatever you do, it's irrelevant to the other games and dramatically worse by all metrics. By far the least liked of the games for good reason.
Yeah, like, I utterly despise Ultra Despair Girls. Like, the ONE thing I will give it is that I do like how it fleshes out Toko's character, but that's in no way worth everything else that happens in that game. Just too much nope, nope, nope everywhere else, even by Danganronpa standards, and indeed, it doesn't actually matter to the actual overaching plot at all, so no reason to bother regardless.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So everyone raise your hands if you were shocked that the transphobic marketing for Cyberpunk 2077 turned out to NOT be subversive advertising and that not only is the game transphobic, but racist and sexist as well. I'm shocked. SHOCKED. I tell you!

/s

Hasseigaku

Oct 30, 2017
I think anyone reading this thread regularly never had any real hope of them doing the right thing.

Nothing I read or heard elsewhere made me believe otherwise.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
So everyone raise your hands if you were shocked that the transphobic marketing for Cyberpunk 2077 turned out to NOT be subversive advertising and that not only is the game transphobic, but racist and sexist as well. I'm shocked. SHOCKED. I tell you!

/s
pass me my smelling salts, I will totally faint from shock!

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

/s
Apparently there is a ton of other awful shit too. Just a disaster.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

/s
Yeah I don't want to give my money directly to CD Project Red after this.

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017

/s

I actually thought, their writers can't be that stupid and there would be at least some good sidemissons, but the marketing team was apparently also writing the game.

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness

/s

I'll repeat a bit of what I said in a few other threads:

Looking at the events of the last few days, it really is a testament to the efficiency of the marketing strategy CDPR had for this game. The company tried to build an army of indoctrinated "fans" that would go to the end of the world for them. Looks like they have it...

This is so sad.

But I'm glad a sizeable number of reviewers are looking at the game through this kind of realistic and relevant lens:

Transphobia, misogyny, racism... This game seems to be a real trash fire. There's no excuse.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
Assassin's Creed Valhalla has that stupidity as well, the berseker armour, bare upper body and pelts on shoulder and back. Many games let you wear a tshirt in a snowy area but when a character actually seems to choose to wear something to get warm they can't mess up like that.
Not sure if AC: Valhalla's berserker outfit falls under the same category since it's really a bonus outfit. Not actually really canonized. A lot of other outfits have a lot of layering. Heres' how they compare between male and female Evior from official concept art

pierre-raveneau-ack-berserker-2.jpg
pierre-raveneau-ack-berserker-1.jpg

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019

/s

I do not worry about the game as much as what the outcome will be with such major titles. Yet again everyone involved in videogames will be divided in two camps and in an even worse way than TLOU2