• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
There is a joke update list in the Genshin Impact thread with various buffs and nerfs making fun of the characters. It ended with this fabricated change:

(emphasis added)

Yes, it is a joke, but I really hate the bold part. It seems that unless the creators specifically designate the female as the canon option through a direct statement or a sequel (e.g. KoTOR2), there will be all sorts of excuses to insist that the male is the canon choice, and players who prefer the female protagonist are playing through a fanfiction.

Male on the box art and promotional material? Creators wanted him to be canon. Female on the box art and promotional material? Pandering to SJW or horny men. Spinoffs starring male? Evidence he is canon. Spinoffs starring female? It's just a what-if scenario. Story seem written assuming a male protagonist? Female is just an option added as an afterthought. Story seem written assuming a female protagonist? These bits that suggest a male protagonist are obviously more important.

That joke update list is full of a lot of real gross stuff beyond what you highlighted too. It is a bad read.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
There is a joke update list in the Genshin Impact thread with various buffs and nerfs making fun of the characters. It ended with this fabricated change:

(emphasis added)

Yes, it is a joke, but I really hate the bold part. It seems that unless the creators specifically designate the female as the canon option through a direct statement or a sequel (e.g. KoTOR2), there will be all sorts of excuses to insist that the male is the canon choice, and players who prefer the female protagonist are playing through a fanfiction.

Male on the box art and promotional material? Creators wanted him to be canon. Female on the box art and promotional material? Pandering to SJW or horny men. Spinoffs starring male? Evidence he is canon. Spinoffs starring female? It's just a what-if scenario. Story seem written assuming a male protagonist? Female is just an option added as an afterthought. Story seem written assuming a female protagonist? These bits that suggest a male protagonist are obviously more important.
This is specially irksome for me in Super Smash Bros. Right now Fire Emblem only has 1 female representative, and that is Lucina, who is a clone of Marth. Neither Robin, Corrin or Byleth are female by default, despite female Corrin being the default option in Warriors, and also appearing in the story and box art of said game. This was made even worse when Sakurai announced this past weekend that they would make a male Byleth Amiibo, but not a female Byleth... If it wasn't because female Corrin was so popular, she wouldn't get an Amiibo either.

Another game series that really piss me off are the Persona games. Persona's 'canon' treats P3MC as the real protagonist while FeMC was completely forgotten. It was a miracle they decided to add her in PQ2, and despite that, she didn't appear in the Q2 DLC of Royal or got the same treatment as the three male protagonists in the boxart. That said, Atlus must really hate female main characters, because their most recent games don't have one, unless I am mistaken.

Kohlbiri

Apr 3, 2019
Isn't Kassandra from Assassin's Creed Odyssey considered the canon protagonist yet their marketing and box art features Alexios? Ugh... I totally switched to the reversible box art with Kassandra as soon as I saw it.

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't Kassandra from Assassin's Creed Odyssey considered the canon protagonist yet their marketing and box art features Alexios? Ugh... I totally switched to the reversible box art with Kassandra as soon as I saw it.

I think it came out during a lot of that ubisoft terrible shit recently, that the development team wanted the game to have only Kassandra as the protagonist and they were forced to add in a male choice rather than have a woman be the protagonist.

Edit: Odyssey though, is also the game that lets you play Kassandra as whatever sexuality you want in the main game, and then came out with DLC that forced her canonically into a straight relationship.

Last edited:

Kohlbiri

Apr 3, 2019
I think it came out during a lot of that ubisoft terrible shit recently, that the development team wanted the game to have only Kassandra as the protagonist and they were forced to add in a male choice rather than have a woman be the protagonist.

Really? Damn, that sucks. At least for Fenyx Rising they're focusing on the female protagonist I guess.

I think it was for the main game, but then there was DLC pack with loved one and a kid, and it was very Alexios-focused... I think they fixed it later on, but initially it looked extremely weird for Kassandra players.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think it was for the main game, but then there was DLC pack with loved one and a kid, and it was very Alexios-focused... I think they fixed it later on, but initially it looked extremely weird for Kassandra players.

I got the feeling through that DLC that it was developed by an entirely different team alongside the main game - none of it takes place in new areas and it feels more like old, non-RPG AC compared to Odyssey. The Kassandra stuff in particular is very forced - you have a baby no matter what I'm pretty sure, erasing the queer relationships that can seem pretty permanent up until that point (some of them onto move to your ship). Kassandra doesn't even get to be a cool mom or anything either because the status quo is brought back at the end.

Really it's the biggest blight on that game narratively and something I'd probably suggest folks skip because it doesn't add anything to the lore besides a genetic connection.

Oct 27, 2017
I got the feeling through that DLC that it was developed by an entirely different team alongside the main game - none of it takes place in new areas and it feels more like old, non-RPG AC compared to Odyssey. The Kassandra stuff in particular is very forced - you have a baby no matter what I'm pretty sure, erasing the queer relationships that can seem pretty permanent up until that point (some of them onto move to your ship). Kassandra doesn't even get to be a cool mom or anything either because the status quo is brought back at the end.

Really it's the biggest blight on that game narratively and something I'd probably suggest folks skip because it doesn't add anything to the lore besides a genetic connection.
I believe that's what happened if I understood correctly.

The people that were interviewed when the dlc footage came were the very same people doing Far Cry 5 dlc and creator mode. I believe they are a support studio that works on all the games when it comes to dlc and support.

It is fine on paper but for AC it should have been done by the same people who did the main game.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017

I do wonder what Capcom will do with the women in Street Fighter 6 for their designs.

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
This is specially irksome for me in Super Smash Bros. Right now Fire Emblem only has 1 female representative, and that is Lucina, who is a clone of Marth. Neither Robin, Corrin or Byleth are female by default, despite female Corrin being the default option in Warriors, and also appearing in the story and box art of said game. This was made even worse when Sakurai announced this past weekend that they would make a male Byleth Amiibo, but not a female Byleth... If it wasn't because female Corrin was so popular, she wouldn't get an Amiibo either.
Don't understand why they didn't at least made one of the avatars female by default, like it would at least help make the FE roster look a little more diverse than 7/8 of it being "Male Anime Swordsman"

F!Corrin and F!Byleth are more popular of their male versions unlike Robin

Last edited:

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
Ono was apparently responsible for some of the cheesecake-eyness maybe with him gone. Sonethings will be toned down a tad
That's seemed more like idle speculation than anything solid pointing to it, and I only recall people claiming that on Era.
Don't understand why they didn't at least made one of the avatars female by default, like it would at least help make the FE roster look a little more diverse than 7/8 of it being "Male Anime Swordsman"

F!Corrin and F!Byleth are the more popular of the two unlike Robin
I recall something about male Robin being more popular among FE fans with female Robin being more popular among Smash fans, so more of a zigzag compared to Corrin and Byleth.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
So MK11 Mileena has her old mouth back.

I'd always wondered if the switch to a more "human-looking" mouth in MKX was just for facial mocap purposes or something, but maybe not.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
That's seemed more like idle speculation than anything solid pointing to it, and I only recall people claiming that on Era.
While I'm not gonna pretend it was only ono " The guy who created chun pervs on chun li and there is record of him harassing female employee's over it " it was noted multiple times that oni is a fan of like sexy ladies and super roided up dudes. Hence...abigail and a lot of the newer female designs. Do I think it will stop completely , no. R Mika existed long before ono was the head of the fighting game division at capcom. Could things steer in a better direction maybe being a bit more aware of the global presence street fighter has? Maybe. Or nothing happens at all

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017

F!Corrin and F!Byleth are more popular of their male versions unlike Robin
Next Smash Bros, I hope they at least make Corrin female by default (would love Byleth too) and add another female character, or two. Or more if possible. If Sakurai or Nintendo are looking for lords only, they can pick either Eirika, Celica, Lyn, Edelgard or even Micaiah.

VaIdor

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 5, 2020
Sol System
Do you all feel like this generation has had been an improvement over sexualized character designs?

If no what are your worst examples

Last edited:

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I'd always wondered if the switch to a more "human-looking" mouth in MKX was just for facial mocap purposes or something, but maybe not.
I actually liked the "human" mouth for how creepy it was when she opened it wider. Very uncanny valley. But I think she just had the lips because NRS wanted to kill her by having D'Vorah kiss her. >_<

Aug 26, 2018
日本

I liked the lips because it makes more sense with her talking normally and at times in the story, full-on impersonating Kitana. I'm still not sure how Baraka talks normally. lol

Jan 11, 2018
Western games have gotten better, but if anything I feel like Eastern games have gotten worse, or at least more brazen. Like Team Ninja's 1014 year old loli fighter. They are very well aware of what they're doing.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
It was a miracle they decided to add her in PQ2, and despite that, she didn't appear in the Q2 DLC of Royal or got the same treatment as the three male protagonists in the boxart.

The only Q2 DLC in Royal was costumes for the main cast of that game. The DLC bonus fights that let you fight the P3 and P4 protagonists weren't tied to that game, although they definitely did the P3 female MC dirty by not giving her a similar battle.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
The only Q2 DLC in Royal was costumes for the main cast of that game. The DLC bonus fights that let you fight the P3 and P4 protagonists weren't tied to that game, although they definitely did the P3 female MC dirty by not giving her a similar battle.
Sorry, my bad; it was the Persona 3 and 5 Dancing games. The chibi characters on top of the head. No FeMC in there.

P3D/P5D: Chibi SEES Set

A set of 10 chibi-character accessories P3 Protagonist, Yukari, Junpei, Mitsuru, Akihiko, Fuuka, Aigis, Koromaru, Ken, and Shinjiro for all characters.brbrThis item is compatible with both Persona 3 Dancing in Moonlight and Persona 5 Dancing in Starlight on PS4™brbr1 playerbrDUALSHOCK®4brbr...

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
Mileena was my main back in mortal kombat 9. I'm excited to see her return to a mortal kombat game where the woman actually get clothing. Also I prefer the gross monster mouth personally, even if it doesn't make sense for enunciating.

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
Mileena was my main back in mortal kombat 9. I'm excited to see her return to a mortal kombat game where the woman actually get clothing. Also I prefer the gross monster mouth personally, even if it doesn't make sense for enunciating.
Ha, yeah, I used her in MK9 a lot as well, I even won quite a bit of online matches with her in that game too.

Jan 11, 2018
Also I prefer the gross monster mouth personally, even if it doesn't make sense for enunciating.

Me too. This is the first time they've made her look like an actual clone of KItana, with tarkatan features. She had cooler outfits in MKX, but they made her look "prettier" than usual without her mask on. Even though she's meant to look absolutely hideous.

Village

Oct 25, 2017
Dead or Alive Xtreme mobile game has a character that is stated as '1014'
www.siliconera.com

Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation Introduces The 1,014-Year-Old Oni Girl Kanna

Koei Tecmo revelaed a brand-new character for Dead or Alive Xtreme: Venus Vacation with an oni girl named Kanna, who is apparently 1,014-years-old, loves candy apples and cotton candy.

... so yeah, that happened.
not weird and creepy at all. (Sarcasm obviously)

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
Why do folks think this is ok? It still looks like a kid so do they really think this is some loophole or something?, like what is the logic behind this?

Nov 2, 2017
DoA's descent has been incredibly sad to watch.

It was never good with women, not by a long shot, but to watch it become so aggressively shitty, with younger and ever more fetishy characters. Just, truly fucking sad and distressing.

The west isn't great when it comes to fetishizing youth, but goddamn does Japan take it to a sickening extreme

Raftina

Jun 27, 2020
Western games have gotten better, but if anything I feel like Eastern games have gotten worse, or at least more brazen.
I disagree.

In the previous generation, most Eastern games are console/handheld games from Japan and MMOs from Korea (and to a lesser extent Taiwan and mainland China). Japan was in the moe craze, where the female characters are infantilized but not overtly sexualized, while the Korean games and Taiwanese games are highly sexualized.

In the current generation, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan has started producing a lot of mobile games. Japanese games are more explicitly sexualized. But this is not so clear with Korean and Taiwanese games. This generation also saw a much higher percentage of Eastern games from mainland China. In the last 2-3 years, the Chinese government has started to push developers to dial down the sexualization, with the result that the embarrassing designs from about 5 years ago are less prevalent today.

Japan has gotten worse, but Japan is also becoming more irrelevant.

Hakunon

Oct 11, 2018
I disagree.

In the previous generation, most Eastern games are console/handheld games from Japan and MMOs from Korea (and to a lesser extent Taiwan and mainland China). Japan was in the moe craze, where the female characters are infantilized but not overtly sexualized, while the Korean games and Taiwanese games are highly sexualized.

In the current generation, Japan, Korea, and Taiwan has started producing a lot of mobile games. Japanese games are more explicitly sexualized. But this is not so clear with Korean and Taiwanese games. This generation also saw a much higher percentage of Eastern games from mainland China. In the last 2-3 years, the Chinese government has started to push developers to dial down the sexualization, with the result that the embarrassing designs from about 5 years ago are less prevalent today.

Japan has gotten worse, but Japan is also becoming more irrelevant.

Well Korea has Destiny Child which is imo the worst game when it comes to sexualization so... Hero Cantare, Lord of Dice, Exos Heroes also full of sexualization. E7 has a lot of variety I guess but still not without issues. Lord of Heroes happens to have an old lady character, so it's good for them. It's just my experience with Korean games, and I'd say they greatly contribute to the trend. Let's not forget gender-locked classes from their MMORPG as well.

With Chinese games we'll have to wait and see as the industry develops, Punishing is opening in Japan soon and it has decent designs from what I've seen.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
After they introduced Marie Rose to the DOA roster, Koei Tecmo completely doubled down on this unsettling fanservice.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking with that, plus I'm not a fan of her either.

WuIK0lR.png

deadoralive.fandom.com

Marie Rose

"Even the smallest of roses have their thorns." —Marie Rose in Dead or Alive 6 Marie Rose is the servant of Helena Douglas, who debuted in the 2013 title, Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate Arcade. Details on her past are unknown, other than that she was hired as Helena's servant and that, according to...

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
good ol' 10 thousand year old dragon trope... >_>

btw, Vigil comes out next week and the MC has dope costumes. Notice that even the one that looks like she just has a top on, its actually like a white classy shirt and corset, like a pirate or something, not skin showing. I guess the corset could be problematic but still, it fits the theme and it could be worse as we know.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
good ol' 10 thousand year old dragon trope... >_>

btw, Vigil comes out next week and the MC has dope costumes. Notice that even the one that looks like she just has a top on, its actually like a white classy shirt and corset, like a pirate or something, not skin showing. I guess the corset could be problematic but still, it fits the theme and it could be worse as we know.

I got confused and thought the trailer for vigil had the 1000 year old dragon trope. I kept thinking she looks like a young adult, and her outfits were all pretty solid.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Had my eyes on Vigil for a while and will probably pick it up at some point (though I'll soon be busy with the Nioh 2 DLC, Ghost of Tsushima DLC, and the PS5 release... phew). The demo was pretty decent. There's a cross-over with Salt and Sanctuary (its main inspiration) as well.

Cool to see a Taiwanese dev too, I hope they are successful.

I got confused and thought the trailer for vigil had the 1000 year old dragon trope. I kept thinking she looks like a young adult, and her outfits were all pretty solid.
The first paragraph is not connected to the second :D

RecLib

Oct 27, 2017
The thread about mileena's redesign has gone surprisingly well relative to the thread about cammy's ass. Its probably because mileena's weird lip mouth thing is still off putting to a lot of people who want sexualized designs as well.

edit: To be clear, the thread isn't GREAT, but it is better than the last time there was a thread about the design of a fighting game woman. There are definitely still some posts that could have been thread title worthy.

Why Women Criticise sexualized Character designs ot4 All "SEXY BAD GRR" hoopla

Last edited:

Timu

Oct 25, 2017
The thread about mileena's redesign has gone surprisingly well relative to the thread about cammy's ass. Its probably because mileena's weird lip mouth thing is still off putting to a lot of people who want sexualized designs as well.

edit: To be clear, the thread isn't GREAT, but it is better than the last time there was a thread about the design of a fighting game woman. There are definitely still some posts that could have been thread title worthy.

Why Women Criticise sexualized Character designs ot4 All "SEXY BAD GRR" hoopla
Yeah that shocked me too! And she's one of my fave characters in the series as well.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Y'know, I recently saw a panel from a manga once that looked like a better-executed version of Mileena's lip thing -- the girl from Shigahime.

rzTYGQh.png

qn9QNE2.png