• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
For about 20 years my top 2 were:

1) ZOoT
2) Mario 64

and I really didn't have a solid order for the rest of my Top 10-20.

Now I have a Top 3:

1) Bloodborne
2) ZOoT
3) Super Mario Odyssey

Bloodborne was my entry into the Souls-like games and shot to #1 and since then Dark Souls and Sekiro are also in my Top 10-20 games. Super Mario Odyssey basically supplanted Mario 64 for me - the true sequel (to both Mario 64 and Banjo and Kazooie) I had been waiting around 20 years for. I played SMO at launch and Bloodborne sometime in 2018.

petethepanda

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Last one was Nier Automata in 2017. I think it needs a while yet to settle, but Outer Wilds is... pending.

In addition to the top 3 swapping out repeatedly, over the last 7 or 8 years my previously long-standing top 10 has been almost entirely changed.

noinspiration

Jun 22, 2020
I basically only have a top 2, Dark Souls and Resident Evil 4 are so far above everything else. So it's Dark Souls by release date, but I only played RE4 in 2015, so if we're going by when we played it it's that.

The third spot would shift around all the time, but the most recent games I can think of that might get there would be Prey from 2017 or Dishonored 2 from 2016.

Aug 13, 2019
In 2019: Outer Wilds tied for the Number 1 spot
In 2018: Monster Hunter World took the 2nd spot
In 2017: BOTW BOTW took the 1st spot.

Before those two shook things up, my top three were Kingdom Hearts 2, Sly 2, and Golden Sun.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
Hmm, it's been a long time, since like the Gamecube and GBA-era. Loved a LOT of games since then, but I really don't think my top 3 of Skies of Arcadia: Legends, Sonic Adventure 2: Battle, and Final Fantasy Tactics Advance or Paper Mario (hard to decide between those two) has much chance of changing. Every time I play them, I love them just as much as I ever did.

Top 10 though? Yeah, there are several games from the last 10 years I could make a case for there.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
2012 with Fire Emblem Awakening?

My top 10 is REALLY fluid, with Metroid Prime and Pikmin 2 'usually' in the top three but not in any particular order. I don't think Awakening is #1, but it probably pops into #3 sometimes.

Responding to this I realize I don't 'actually' know what my favorite game of all time is.

The_Orufus

Feb 4, 2021
Michigan
All 3 of my top 3 are fairly recent but I would argue that I didn't properly appreciate games as a kid.

The World Ends With You
Sekiro
Breath of the Wild

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
My top 3 is

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Super Mario RPG

As you can imagine these games have been on here for a long time. They hold up incredibly well. The last time a game cracked my top 10 was Bloodborne at number 7.

Jan 13, 2020
ICO went straight to the top when I played it for the first time in like 2014.

Breath of the Wild came incredibly close in 2017. It's 4th.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
I finally played DQXI when it dropped on GamePass. It ended up landing on my GOAT list. I think top 3 too.

Disclaimer: my memory is extremely short-term. I don't even know what the other two are lol.

Jinfash

Oct 27, 2017
Random question: do people create literal lists to keep track of their top 10 things of all time? I probably should start one.

Flipyap

Oct 25, 2017
2007, Halo 3

Bioshock also sneaks in there sometimes, depending on my mood and how strongly I currently feel that the setting and atmosphere matter more than anything else in a video game.

2017's Prey is #4 when Bioshock is #3. My top "10" is a formless, shifting thing.

Random question: do people create literal lists to keep track of their top 10 things of all time? I probably should start one.
Not for all things, but people talk about "top X" games often enough that I did end up making a list to try and organize some thoughts that usually don't take the form of a leaderboard. It's fun, even if I don't expect to ever settle on a definitive top 10.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Probably high school, although FF7 (which I played in 2018 for the first time) is def clos and probably sometimes in slot 3...
Plenty has hit my top 10-15 though in the last few years though.

Sharivan

Dec 29, 2018
Belgium
Resident Evil 2 Remake in 2019

My top 3:
  1. Shenmue 1 and 2
  2. Resident Evil Code Veronica + RE 1 and 2 Remakes
  3. Batman Arkham Trilogy

Jan 10, 2019
A certain game from 2015, pretty much instantly when I started playing it. My top 3 hasn't changed since.
  1. Bloodborne
  2. Shadow of the Colossus
  3. Super Metroid

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
My top 10 would likely be:

Majora's Mask
Super Smash Bros Melee
Breath of the Wild
Pokemon Silver
Team Fortress 2
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Splatoon
Hades
The World Ends with You
Animal Crossing Wild World

So 20177

Oct 25, 2017

😂
Suikoden 3
Ape escape 3
Kingdom hearts 2

This probably will never change. Unless eiyuden Chronicles is absolutely amazing

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Fallout New Vegas, so 2010. You would have to go back to 2004 when both Bloodlines and Kotor 2 took the top spots, which I just realized two of my favorite games came out within a month of each other. I was there day one for Kotor 2 and 6ish months late on Bloodlines though.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like it's:

World of Warcraft (cracked my top 3 in 2005, when I first started playing)
Hearthstone (cracked in 2015, when I realized how much I loved it)
And then, either Super Mario Galaxy or Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy VI or VII....all of which came out way before Hearthstone.

So...Hearthstone I guess! Nothing's come in for the last 15 years like Hearthstone has and shaped/changed my gaming and taken over as much time as it has. Warts and all, it's been a go-to game for me fairly consistently for six years.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
2020. The Last of Us Part II was one of the most fantastic experiences I've ever gone through. I still think about it (and it's prequel) to this day.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
Tetris 99 in 2019.

However that is more due to the fact playing my previous #1 of Tetris DX turned out to be disappointing as it no longer was as fast, technical, or challenging enough. So 99 just replaced DX.

Ravenwraith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Breath of the Wild is No. 1. Devil May Cry 5, Streets of Rage 4 and Katamari Damacy all broke the top 5, but not the top 3.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
BotW was the last one and my first playthrough experience probably puts it at #1. Just a magical experience for 125 hours of gameplay on a new console day one. Playing through it and talking about the game with my friends totally recaptured the magic of talking about video games on the playground as a kid in elementary school.