• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
This is a better criticism of the Fox-Disney business than the monopoly nonsense.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cue posts pulling out dictionaires and thesaureses to say how Disney is not a monopoly

In 10 years:

No but you see, it's true that Disney bought Sony, WB, Netflix and pretty much everything else and has a 99.9% share of the global market but it's not technically a monopoly. I heard some dude in the Easter Island made a movie!

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and your boycott thread, you're on a roll with putting words in people's mouths. Ain't much this part of your post will do but rile people up.
I don't tell someone to fuck off just willy nilly. That's a last resort. That's like someone on here saying something nice about Trump. I'll tell you to fuck off then.
You can't tell tone online, that's why I try to not make personal attacks unless I know for sure what they're talking about.

saenima

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The new films will be enjoyed by millions around the world while this issue affects a handful of people. In the hypothetical scenario you described I'd say that the trade off is absolutely worth it.

There is no need for a trade off. Some theater showing Alien on Bumfuck USA has nothing to with Alien being available on a streaming service.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is a better criticism of the Fox-Disney business than the monopoly nonsense.
the whole reason it's concerning is what a huge proportion of films Disney now owns and controls, it would be a non-story if this was an indie studio preventing screenings of 10 films

you can't separate this from "the monopoly nonsense"

andrew

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Inappropriate joke
giphy.gif
Of course.

You don't need to watch these old movies at local run-down theater that can barely afford to pay for a cleaning staff. Buy one of the million of DVDs out there sitting at bargain bins if you really want to.
They're just movies, man. You can watch them at home. Especially now when the internet records and offers everything that ever existed in media. It just doesn't really matter. A lot of you are acting like they're enslaving populations and murdering children. It's just entertainment.
The new films will be enjoyed by millions around the world while this issue affects a handful of people. In the hypothetical scenario you described I'd say that the trade off is absolutely worth it.
god. you corny-ass bootlicking kid-brain nerds. we need to bring back bullying

Fathom Events was screening Alien in AMCs just this month.
the article talks about that. some theaters were rejected from screening Alien around the same time, seemingly arbitrarily.

SNRUB

Oct 27, 2017
New Jersey
It annoys me how the toadies defending this are probably the same ones that wanted Diz to buy Sony after their little spat with the Spider-Man license.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
the whole reason it's concerning is what a huge proportion of films Disney now owns and controls, it would be a non-story if this was an indie studio preventing screenings of 10 films

you can't separate this from "the monopoly nonsense"

Sure we can. Because the idea of Disney being a monopoly on entertainment (which it isn't) is a different matter entirely from them not licensing movies in their catalog to small/independent theaters bc they want people to use their digital service platform. It would still be an issue if it was another major entertainment company, and those outside of AT&T/Time Warner usually aren't also criticized for supposedly being monopolies. Framing the issue by making the comparison between Disney and a independent studio is disingenous when there's a mass of large companies out there where this same matter would also be an issue.

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
I don't tell someone to fuck off just willy nilly. That's a last resort. That's like someone on here saying something nice about Trump. I'll tell you to fuck off then.
You can't tell tone online, that's why I try to not make personal attacks unless I know for sure what they're talking about.
You have a habit of writing incendiary posts and not seeing past your own nose with where other people are coming from. If you wanna respond to that observation like you would a Trump supporter I think my opinion stands.

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure we can. Because the idea of Disney being a monopoly on entertainment (which it isn't) is a different matter entirely from them not licensing movies in their catalog to small/independent theaters bc they want people to use their digital service platform. It would still be an issue if it was another major entertainment company, and those outside of AT&T/Time Warner usually aren't also criticized for supposedly being monopolies. Making the comparison between Disney and a independent studio is disingenous when there's a mass of large companies out there where this would also be an issue.
It wouldn't be an issue of comparable size where it's hurting theater owners' bottom lines the way that is described in the article. Further, the motivations for Disney to even do this are linked to Disney+ and theater block booking strategies, concerns that only exist because they're a massive media conglomerate.

Pretending this is an isolated issue rather than an obvious consequence of media megagiants is a dumb waste of time. Call Disney and AOL Time Warner oligopolists, if you must.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
If ever were there a company threatening to apotheosize capitalism, it would be Disney. God they suck these days.

I know it won't, but I hope their streaming service blows up in their faces so they stop with this Disney Vault bullshit.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
As someone in the process of starting up a small classic theater this is concerning.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
the idea that Disney is producing unique, exceptional, culturally valuable media is an implicit justification for their monstrous size and shitty practices

whether or not people think Disney makes good films is a huge influence on whether people think they should be curbed

That's a strawman.
The discussion was about whether they are films. The fact that you use that term is telling.

Unique, exceptional, culturally valuable is a hell of a goal post move

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
they're probably clearing out all of the rights on a case by case basis to see what is the most profitable and what they can put on the streaming services.

classic movies are all a very complicated mess

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
the article talks about that. some theaters were rejected from screening Alien around the same time, seemingly arbitrarily.
They were probably contractually obligated to provide the film to Fathom, while the bookings with small theaters I'm guessing are not exactly ironclad

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No way 70th you say ? Maybe don't frame your argument like Disney runs the world. This thread is very definition of outrage culture without using common sense. This is obviously just rights / license issues that are being worked out.

It is but I believe its so Disney can squeeze even more money out of theatres. I believe they charge the most for repertory films. Disney isn't vaulting these to be consumer friendly.

apocat

Oct 27, 2017
No way 70th you say ? Maybe don't frame your argument like Disney runs the world. This thread is very definition of outrage culture without using common sense. This is obviously just rights / license issues that are being worked out.

That's...pretty big, not to mention that they seem to be the biggest entertainment company on that list.

Besides, if you honestly think this is just them working out rights and licenses, I think you're being very naive.

Valiant

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's...pretty big, not to mention that they seem to be the biggest entertainment company on that list.

Besides, if you honestly think this is just them working out rights and licenses, I think you're being very naive.

To be fair the other companies that were strictly media companies got bought out by service providers.

Time Warner was the biggest for the longest time but now they are owned by AT&T. NBC/Universal? Comcast. Viacom broke up. Now News Corp and Fox have broken up and Fox is owned by Disney.

I would say its about time Verizon or some other provider start considering a nice Disney purchase.

Anyway you can all thank the Telecommunications Act of 1996 for all of this consolidated bullshit.