• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

demosthenes

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of health issues, just business wise. I'm really worried about movie theatres after the pandemic. You can't capture that magic elsewhere.

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
That moment was pure bliss

Everything was fantastic and the crowd reactions only enhanced such a great scene

Honestly even watching it at home alone, it somehow doesn't have the same weight as it did opening night

Oct 30, 2017
So, as Film Twitter enters a phase of peak nostalgia for the movie theater experience (I saw a viral post this morning about movie theater carpets) - a clip from a screening of Endgame went around with the crowd noise included. (Yes, it's THAT moment)

It's a good bit, and I think anybody who went to an opening weekend screening of Endgame had a similar experience on some scale. It's a moment of corny fan service that has been broken down & criticized a million times - but I doubt I'll ever forget the way the whole room popped when they realized what had happened. An emotional payoff for a decade of worldbuilding, devotion rewarded by giving people exactly what they always wanted to see - with zero concern for it being 'too much'.

It also made me realize that Rise of Skywalker has absolutely nothing that even attempts to capture this same magic, despite allegedly being the payoff for the entire "Skywalker Saga".

The Force Awakens has plenty of these moments trickled in - the movie is BUILT on them. Every time a classic character comes back, the movie almost pauses for applause. The Last Jedi was the same way, but with incredible reveals (Rey's parantage, the Holdo Maneuver) in addition to character revivals. Each one got a pop from my first night audience.

But I think back to my first TROS experience and it's just... quiet. The biggest pop out of the crowd was Rey & Ben's kiss at the end, and even that was mostly awkward laughter. I'm going through the film in my head, and the plot beats that should have gotten that reaction - Ben recalling Han, and the brigade of ships led by Lando - are just silent. Even the last moment feels like it was written for a huge, Endgame-esque spectacle where the Jedi of the past come to Sith Hell to assist Rey - but instead, they only manifest as voice memos.

I know there's no shortage of "Wow, TROS was underwhelming" takes - but something about this clip really just made it impossible to not think about what could've been.

Probably the most hype scene since the circle shot in the 1st Avengers film. I'm usually one for quiet, but that moment was clearly designed to elicit that sort of reaction from the audience. Hype as fuck

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, that moment was paying off over a decade of 20+ films compared to a trilogy. Yeah, many movies have those applause moments but there's just nothing really like that moment in cinematic history. That being said, Disney rushed SW out the door to quickly capitalize on their investment and it shows.

Gonna call bullshit on that when all the creatives and advertisement touted Rise of Skywalker as the end of the 40 year Skywalker saga.

aember

Oct 26, 2017
I know the part of Rise of Skywalker near the end
where the lightsaber teleports to him
got a reaction from the crowd I was watching with... Mostly 'what?' and some confused laughing but I guess it's something.
Hahah I recall hearing a handful of "what the fuck was that?"
That whole movie in general - first time I heard so many people talking shit right after credits rolled. I still regret buying the ticket instead of a pizza.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The "I am all" scene from Rise SHOULD have been the scene to make people scream but like everything else in that movie that had zero weight and zero payoff

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
I'm glad TROS was bad enough to be interesting. If it was merely boring it wouldn't be as much fun to hate.

kaytra

Oct 27, 2017
love how lando tried to the same thing as Falcon and nobody gave a shit in the theater.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The first Matrix, I don't know how to describe it but when Trinity kicked the cop back at the beginning the theater went dead silent like you could almost feel the "holy shit ... what is this?" response from the audience.

Really cool.

Damn I almost forgot the Trinity escape scene. The movie goes from 0 to 100 almost immediately with the first "bullet-time" camera rotation, the roof jumps, and then the staircase roll. Everyone in the audience was reacting like the cops in that scene.

I'm trying to remember my first reaction to the lobby gunfight, but I think it's a scene where I was more blown away by the ultraviolence than the choreography on first viewing. Watched that and the Neo vs Morpheus fight over and over again in slow motion when the DVD came out.

chefbags

Oct 25, 2017
I was 100% sure that Force ghosts of Jedi through the history of the franchise were going to show up and back Rey up in the final fight but...nope. Some voice over and the most thrown-together "just cross the sabers or something" shit ever. JJ blew it in every imaginable way.

Yeah I agree with that lol.

I could imagine a hype af scene with all the force ghost Jedi taking shots at Palpatine one last time ending with Ben and Rey killing him off.

Somewhere in a different timeline and universe, there's a movie out there that's like that. Sucks that it wasn't ours haha.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
I might argue every second of Endgame after they enter the time machine is fanservice.

It just seemed like it used a similar Marvel template that they've been using in most of their bigger films, which aims for a certain ratio of laughs and spectacle. Not claiming all of their films "are the same" like some do, but they do have a formula that they love to use quite a bit.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
So that entire intro to the final battle was completely new just to get a rise out of the crowd? I read a lot of comics growing up, but that's one series I never read, so I honestly didn't know just how much it deviated from the source material.

Fan Service doesn't simply mean referencing source material. It's fan service because it's something put in their specifically to please fans.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
The entire MCU was pretty much building up to that moment. SWs was never doing that, it wasn't until TROS marketing kicked off that suddenly this whole sequel trilogy was now about it tying up all 9 movies instead of being it's own thing set after ROTJ. Sheev came out of nowhere, it was such blatant last minute bullshit they didn't even bother trying to explain his resurrection in the movie cause they knew how dumb it was. It was never gonna hold a candle to Endgame even if they had brought in all the force ghosts.

DeathPeak

Oct 27, 2017
One of the most exciting moments I've had at the movies. The best fan service I could have asked for. 10 years of seeing these movies in theaters culminating into my favorite moment in comic book movies.

Star Wars tried to do the same thing and oof. I enjoyed Rise, but it was nowhere near the movie going experience that IW or Endgame were.

natestellar

Sep 16, 2018
Endgame was such a spectacular movie, there was so much investment tied up to until that moment and they didn't miss the mark. A lot of the big moments were being built up for years and years, it was earned. I get chills every time I see that scene OP.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
The Marvel movies are always fun for the fanservice stuff because of the crowd, but Infinity War and Endgame were fucking off the charts. Legitimately the best and funnest opening night experiences I've ever had. Every little callback, every reunion, and moments like Captain Marvel taking the headbutt or Scarlet Witch getting some payback - the crowd was livid for that shit. Thanos coming back is only in this movie at all so we can have this amazing final battle, and it's even better than I hoped it would be years earlier.

But Rise of Skywalker was... dead. Just dead. They try to have this moment at the end when Lando and everyone shows up, but it felt so fucking hollow. I like the bit when Rey hands off the saber to Ben, but that is maybe the only thing that really pays off.

And it's not to say the other movies were like that. First sight of the Falcon, a cheer for Han/Leia appearing, and when Rey catches the lightsaber. Force Awakens had a really enthusiastic crowd. And for all the shitting on TLJ people try, the theater had fucking everyone gasp at Holdo's lightspeed jump, cheering when Rey and Kylo stand back to back, and lose their shit when the movie reveals Luke was a projection.

Rise of Skywalker was just so fucking flaccid.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I hated Endgame. A god damn slog of a movie with a trashy story and almost pure fanservice. Overly long and poorly paced. I loved Infinity War though. Should have ended with that one *edgy*

Star Wars got a similar (fanservice) moment with Rogue One though. Arguably the best Scene of any new Star Wars movie. That shit was intense. Basically me in the cinema at 3am in the morning:

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Remember when TROS had moments built exactly like those in Endgame expecting to get the same reaction...But instead got awkward silence?

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Yeah, I don't think the main problem of the new Star Wars films was the lack of hype fan service moments.

Actually, one of the main problems with the films was that they were leaning WAY too heavily on the old trilogy in every possible way (characters, locations, ships and even plot points) as a desperate pursuit for fan approval.

Few people actually got that invested on the new characters and their stories. Of course, it doesn't help that many of the new characters either had very unsatisfying arcs (Finn) or just got randomly replaced by another character (Rose, Snoke, Hux).

Sure, the movie is flawed in a million different ways. It's just wild that it couldn't conjure even the mildest excitement for the end of Star Wars.
The Rise of Skywalker really did feel like the end of Star Wars, just not in the way Disney intended.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Fan Service doesn't simply mean referencing source material. It's fan service because it's something put in their specifically to please fans.

Err, wouldn't the majority of the crowd who went to see the final film of a multi-movie story arc be considered "fans" of the characters or story by default? If so, it's just more crowd pleasing to me, and if that is actually fan service, then the majority of the Marvel film template is fan service. Which is fine, but I'm just trying to see the distinction here. I know what fan service is when it comes to adding bits specifically targeted at those "in the know" though that don't really have any significant impact on the story, but are there as bonus spectacle.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I think that Rey giving Ben the Skywalker lightsaber was a reshoot, kind of insane to think that possibly the best moment of the movie almost wasn't there.

The "I am Iron Man" line was also the very last thing they shot for Endgame (they were contemplating what/if he should say in that moment)

Filmmaking's basically like cooking, even once you get the recipe down you're probably still gonna mess around with some spices and ingredients afterwards to get the best flavour.

Oct 25, 2017
Dating myself a bit here, but

The Matrix - the helicopter scene, the train leap(s) scene, and the stopping bullets in the hallway scenes were all pretty "holy shit" moments in theater from what I remember.

I can go a little further back than that. Independence Day: When Randy Quaid says "Hello boys! I'm back!" and flies his plane into the alien superweapon. Big audience reaction on that one.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
Dating myself a bit here, but

The Matrix - the helicopter scene, the train leap(s) scene, and the stopping bullets in the hallway scenes were all pretty "holy shit" moments in theater from what I remember.

The first Matrix, I don't know how to describe it but when Trinity kicked the cop back at the beginning the theater went dead silent like you could almost feel the "holy shit ... what is this?" response from the audience.

Really cool.

I don't expect to have a theatrical experience like The Matrix again. That was something else entirely; such a fun and unique experience

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That was such an iconic moment.

The funny thing is Matrix completely blind sided people, like everyone went in there expecting maybe like an average run of the mill movie that suddenly turned into like what Star Wars was for 1977 out of thin air (in terms of "wow I've never seen anything like this before"), lol.

I remember my friend saying "I hope this doesn't suck like Johnny Mnemonic" (a previous Keanu Reeves sci-fi movie) walking into it, after the movie was over he looked like he had an out of body experience.

May 26, 2018
I don't expect to have a theatrical experience like The Matrix again. That was something else entirely; such a fun and unique experience

First time I saw it in '99, the crowd fucking lost it once she kicked that last cop in the hotel room. We had no idea what movie we were in for, but at that moment realized we were watching a classic.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The "I am Iron Man" line was also the very last thing they shot for Endgame (they were contemplating what/if he should say in that moment)

Filmmaking's basically like cooking, even once you get the recipe down you're probably still gonna mess around with some spices and ingredients afterwards to get the best flavour.
That's true, I'd forgotten about that.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
First time I saw it in '99, the crowd fucking lost it once she kicked that last cop in the hotel room. We had no idea what movie we were in for, but at that moment realized we were watching a classic.

I actually miss that more than mega hyped movie events ... the "holy shit this just came out of nowhere and you MUST see this".

Don't think that can happen anymore with everything being hyped/vetted before hand.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who says the battle of winter fell was bad is silly in my eyes. These videos prove how awesome it was.

There are so many implausible things in that episode that are especially blatant upon a second viewing. Implausible in a world that has dragons, necromancy, Mission Impossible form-fitting masks, and shadow baby assassins.

The plot armor was also super hard as well.

I hated Endgame. A god damn slog of a movie with a trashy story and almost pure fanservice. Overly long and poorly paced. I loved Infinity War though. Should have ended with that one *edgy*

I didn't hate Endgame upon my first viewing, but I did think it had really bad pacing, and liked the previous film infinitely more. After watching it at home though for the second time, knowing what to expect, I didn't find it nearly as big of a letdown, although that end battle still has too much cheese IMO, and was on par with the final battle of Ready Player One, which was kind of bad. Everyone arriving just in time to save the day was cliche, but I liked it about as much as any of the other cliche things in these films, but the actual large scale fight once it was engaged was just a chaotic mess.

Last edited:

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
I remember during IW I was sitting next to my mom. We wanted to go see a spring movie and the family wasn't really sold on the new Jurassic world so we decided on IW. She was pretty into it. When Stark got stabbed my thanos she made a "oof" type of noise. When Thanos used the time stone to reverse Visions death most people in the audience went "awww" like it was for nothing. Thanos snapped his fingers you could hear gasps a bit and "oof". Endgame didn't really have that affect but yeah those 2 movies really moved people.

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
Endgame climax was fan good, but I think it's important to seperate that from good good. The climax in Infinity War was good good. Rise of Skywalker was bad bad

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know whether I'll ever see a moment like Cap picking up Mjolinir or all of the dusted Avengers coming out of the portals to Silvestri's triumphant score. I'm not a big fan of clapping in theatres, but you just had to. It was so perfectly done. Was it lampshaded? Yes. Was it fan service? Obviously. But it also made complete sense in Cap's arc.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Star Wars has been getting shown up for a while now.

The Matrix > Phantom Menace, of course TPM did bigger box office, but Matrix was the bigger pop culture impact.

Or you can say Titanic >> Phantom Menace.

Spider-Man >> Attack of the Clones, not really even close here.

Return of the King > Revenge of the Sith

I'd add probably the Pirates trilogy and Harry Potter series was bigger culturally than the prequel trilogy. And Avatar also.

And currently with the Disney era

Avengers > Sequel Trilogy.
Yup. If Star Wars wasn't the first big cultural popcorn movie then it would have never had another movie made past Episode 1

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The most pathetic part is that there are moments in TROS that were so obviously DESIGNED to get these kinds of cheers and whoops, The Millenium Falcon coming back for the Final Battle, "And I am all the Jedi"

But they all fell flat because they were never earned. I saw TROS with my family on XMAS day, theater was full. Not a single cheer or clap for any of the big moments, thought someone behind me groaned when the Rey Palpatine revaluation came up.