• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next DT Subtitle?

• Playing stocks over time

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • 3 Stocks remaining

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • To be Continued...

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Amiibo Theory or Bust

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Your Smashing days are coming to an end

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • I can Be Your One Winged Angel or Devil

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hey good job dude. Nice to see a regular here achieve an amazing accomplishment

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Trying out Sephiroth and late to everything here. Not really feeling Seph just yet. Reminds me of Corrin for some reason, because I didn't vibe with her either back in the Smash 4 days.

LTTP but congrats Neoxon on graduating!

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Guess I should post my Smash 4 newcomers rankings too.

Yfz3Wa3.png

S:Rosalina is my favorite Mario character after Bowser, I love sword users and FE Awakening and Mega Man is part of my childhood.
A: Used them a lot in 4 but barely in Ultimate.
B: They're cool
C: The Mii had the Amazing Iwata vs Reggie but I barely use them, I never got Into AC or Wii Fit but they are nice additions.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I remember back in 2018, people were betting that Isabelle would either be unique or an echo fighter.

In hindsight, I feel like both sides lost. She wasn't labeled/treated as an echo fighter but she really wasn't "unique", either. She just ended up being Villager 2.0. Boring.

Everything about her inclusion just really feels lethargic to me, almost like it was done out of obligation more than anything. As in Sakurai felt he had to include her because of her godlike popularity but didn't really have much fun gameplay ideas for her outside of just some leftovers from Villager.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
i honestly don't know how Isabelle could be incorporated in anyway that isn't just "Villager but kinda different"

Animal Crossing can only stretch itself so far

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I like Isabelle as a character, but her Smash incarnation just makes me wish Villager had a fishing rod, party popper, and hammer instead of the made-up stuff.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Isabelle is fine. I dunno how anyone could be actually UPSET about her but I do forget about her being in Smash pretty often, even though my sister mains her.

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
i honestly don't know how Isabelle could be incorporated in anyway that isn't just "Villager but kinda different"

Could've given her more unique attacks at least. Porting over all of Villager's aerials and half of his specials basically unchanged was really unnecessary.

The moves did they change like the fishing rod and squeaky hammer are neat at least, I wish they had just come up with some more stuff like that to fill the rest of her moveset. Also not having her speak Animalese was a terrible choice, it's strange how quiet she is in comparison to something like Mario Kart 8.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I guess I have to include my newcomer tier list too. No particular order within tiers:

S - ST Falcon, Ray MK II, Aeron, Alexandra Roivas, Ayumi Tachibana, Bomberman, Brittany, Chandelure, Chibi Robo, Chorus Kids, Dark Matter, Donbe & Hikari, Frey & Freya, Ganon, Great Tiger, Heracles, Impa, Isa Jo, Lip, Mach RIder, Medusa, Mega Man Zero, Mimikyu, Mr. Sandman, Rhythm Girl, Saki Amamiya, Shop Assistant, Sukapon, Takamaru, Tank & Infantry, Tron Bonne, Vince, Vivian, Zael

A - Banjo & Kazooie, Hero, Min Min, Piranha Plant, Richter, Terry

B - Isabelle, Sephiroth, Inkling, Dark Samus, King K. Rool

C - Chrom, Incineroar, Ken, Ridley, Simon, Byleth, Steve

D - Daisy, Joker

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised Isabelle's clipboard doesn't show up anywhere. She holds it in a bunch of official renders, artwork, and figures, and she even uses it in Monster Hunter. It could've been a side tilt, aerial attack, or even just a victory pose prop.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I'm more of a Tom Nook guy but I get why Isabelle was chosen obviously. She just does absolutely nothing for me and her Smash moveset is dull. I think I've played her literally once.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
isabelle's pummel should be washing your tongue with soap for bringing foul language into this town

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Random minor question as I recently picked this game back up again; is there no way to arrange the character select screen based on franchise? I don't like how, for instance, all the FE characters are spread out throughout the select screen. I get that its based on the order of their inclusion but I don't like it lol.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
What I like about Isabelle is that she's the best troll character in the game. Villager had some good options to annoy their opponents and Isabelle turns that up to 11 with the fishing rod and gyroid rocket. However she would obviously be better if she had been given a bit more of her own personality, her silence is one of the strangest decisions in Ultimate, which is saying a lot.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I like playing Isabelle in a crowd. No one pays attention to me and I just lay down bombs everywhere and then sit back with my fishing pole out.

Random minor question as I recently picked this game back up again; is there no way to arrange the character select screen based on franchise? I don't like how, for instance, all the FE characters are spread out throughout the select screen. I get that its based on the order of their inclusion but I don't like it lol.

So far the only CSS change you can make is hiding the echoes. No rearranging.

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
In hindsight, I'd have bumped up Isabelle and Daisy to B cuz my indifference aside, I think it's super-important we add more female characters to Smash and Isabelle being the only base-game female character to not be an Avatar or Echo Fighter is... sad but notable. Plus she's totes adorbs

As for any "lethargy," I think it comes down to Isabelle's trailer doubling as New Horizons advertising and thus couldn't really include fun crossovers like the other newcomer trailers. Also any Animal Crossing newcomer after Villager was inevitably going to be somewhat derivative when their kit covered 90% of what you do in AC.

So if you liked how Villager played, you might like Isabelle. If you didn't, Isabelle isn't different enough to change your mind, she just plays a different type of campiness.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I feel like Isabelle could have been more unique if New Horizons was a thing when she was added to Smash. Perhaps they can further set her apart from Villager in the next Smash game.

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
I feel like Isabelle could have been more unique if New Horizons was a thing when she was added to Smash. Perhaps they can further set her apart from Villager in the next Smash game.
I definitely think someone is getting that vaulting pole in the next smash game

maybe Nook if they add him

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

I definitely think they'll just add another Animal Crossing character instead of changing Isabelle.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
Animal Crossing is the biggest Nintendo franchise with the least potential to bring anything new or exciting to Smash

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
The fact the developers of Animal Crossing actively despise how the Internet twisted Nook to being evil, I can imagine they'd resist the idea of making him a fighter in order to protect the wholesome image they're trying to rebuild for him.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

Isabelle debuted in New Leaf as the mayor assistant, so I thought they might give her attacks related to various buildings, since the whole "planning your town" side wasn't in the previous Animal Crossing (although in hindsight New Horizons is a bigger leap in that direction).

Garrod Ran

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 23, 2018
Isabelle debuted in New Leaf as the mayor assistant, so I thought they might give her attacks related to various buildings, since the whole "planning your town" side wasn't in the previous Animal Crossing (although in hindsight New Horizons is a bigger leap in that direction).
they didn't do that because that's obviously Dr. Wright's playstyle when he gets promoted

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The only newcomer I flatout dislike is Isabelle. And that's because I can't stand character archtypes like her.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Tom Nook could totally work. Fights with bells instead of turnips. Get some more items in there. I can see him as kind of slow and a little heavy.

Neutral Special - Eats a piece of fruit to regain %. Can drop fruit if hit during it.
Down Special - Drops a furniture leaf. You get 3 pieces of furniture to manipulate the stage, but anyone can push the furniture off the stage. Dropped from a height it can do damage, including to yourself. Will respawn in your inventory after some time if pushed off the stage.
Up Special - Vaulting pole on the ground, launching into opponents. A single balloon in the air lifts him up.
Side Special- Cycles through various fish and bugs, throws them at opponents. Can be charged up and will show off the item while charging.

Different from Villager/Isabelle and still uses AC stuff.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I saw a picture about Geno that amused me, but it might be considered mean-spirited, so I'll stick it behind a spoiler tag for people that don't want to see it.

b23409a3db0d77e1860294258b14b111de0aff4d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.