Not open for further replies.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Didn't get to post mine yesterday
udFBXDn.png

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Sephiroth's definitely built around punishment: throwing around different-level Flares and aerials to get your opponent into patterns. The ridiculous range on all his sword attacks allows him to punish in ways most others can't: I once scored the win using Up-Tilt as a Yoshi was starting their Ground Pound. That thing pokes through Battlefield's top platform--shame it's so laggy, you're better off using shorthop Up-Air most of the time. Also had a surprising amount of luck hitting people with a downward Octaslash when getting back on stage.

He's a sitting duck when dealing with smaller rushdown types, though. I can never pull off Scintilla right, its hitbox is so weird

Last edited:

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
There are few things as satisfying as using K. Rool's gut check to send Sephiroth's Shadow Flares back at him and have them orbit him instead. Though baiting them to use down smash when holding shield and breaking out gut check then is good too.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Since we haven't played together with Fighter's Pass 2 stuff, I'm making a lobby

SmashEra
Password: 147258
ID: GCSXP

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think he's gonna be high tier, but he'll be viable enough to see some kind of results out of somebody. He's got some interesting tools, but I don't think they can paper over his inherent weaknesses.

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait for Reimu to show up. Maybe ZUN will show up with Sakurai during her presentation and crack open a few beers kid-friendly beverages.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm practicing Sephiroth trying to drop Zelda for him even but I dunno he's not clicking entirely with me. He's super fun but I need to train a lot more. Have you guys found any combos with him?

RockmanBN

Visited by Knack - One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Cornfields
I'm practicing Sephiroth trying to drop Zelda for him even but I dunno he's not clicking entirely with me. He's super fun but I need to train a lot more. Have you guys found any combos with him?
His slow af frame data doesn't leave much room for combos outside some grab follow ups or or predicting when the Shadow Flares envelop an opponent.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I feel like Sephiroth is almost tailor made for Leo to have some fun with when he's not going Joker. I'm looking forward to when in-person tournaments can safely return, because that'd be pretty hype

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Most of Sephiroth's moves are unsafe and he suffers from Mewtwo's height/weight problem. But he's pretty janky with those hitboxes and that Side-B. Not Hero levels of jank, but you do some dumb stuff and he breaks shields almost as often as Byleth.
Not really. His ftilt, fair, and bair are all solidly safe on shield if spaced at a distance. Nair is -5 on shield which means it's safe on virtually everything except really stupid stuff like G&W upB. He also doesn't suffer from Mewtwo syndrome nearly as bad due to not having a tail and having a fast fall + good burst movement option in uncharged upB. I don't get how he's cheesy either, basically everything about his kit is about forcing you into a certain gameplan then punishing you for exerting that gameplan

Since we haven't played together with Fighter's Pass 2 stuff, I'm making a lobby

SmashEra
Password: 147258
ID: GCSXP
What region and are you using a LAN adapter?

I don't think he's gonna be high tier, but he'll be viable enough to see some kind of results out of somebody. He's got some interesting tools, but I don't think they can paper over his inherent weaknesses.
He definitely has concrete weaknesses but I don't think it invalidates the good stuff he has. Byleth meets Mewtwo is actually a really cool character archetype and this is probably the best balanced DLC we've gotten in all of Ultimate.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Wow, no excitement around here for today's Super Smash Flash 2 reveal?

it's just Ganondorf, lol

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
Also important to note: Blade Dash can ledge lock (I think that's the right term?), Octaslash either can't or it's very difficult to. He'll go through his full animation leaving him vulnerable

Wow, no excitement around here for today's Super Smash Flash 2 reveal?

it's just Ganondorf, lol

That game's roster is such a time capsule: Black Mage is there back when everyone thought Final Fantasy would get a "general" rep instead of focusing on one game. Bowser controls like he did in Brawl. Isaac, Krystal, and Chibi-Robo were all highly demanded back in pre-Brawl speculation, etc

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
See, I would play with ya'll, if I wasn't guaranteed to lag spike every match i'm in. That's what living down here in Australia will do.

I'm surprised it's still being worked on given that Flash is about to be killed off.
They've had a downloadable version available for years now; the browser version was already kinda dead.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
It'll be funny when the tournament scene resumes in late 2021/2022 and suddenly there's six new characters added.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While we're bringing up old leaks because we ended up getting Steve and Sephiroth anyone remember the Hitagi Katalina rumor? While it very likely was for Granblue Versus I do wonder if maybe Nintendo and Cygames did end up talking about Smash during this time and if they got put on the backburner for future DLC. Kind of like what happened to Steve. If nothing else while I hated the idea at the time now that I've gotten more familiar with Granblue I would dig it if it ever got into Smash and Gran and Djeeta or Katalina did end up getting here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
But I thought in the southern hemisphere, internet connections make your game move faster instead.
No it's like the water in the toilet, it flows backward down there. Apparently it makes rollback slightly easier to implement but makes games way harder to play

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I am just so ridiculously happy with this game. Sephiroth is such an incredible addition on so many levels. It's hard to wrap my mind around the idea of them adding at least three more characters and stages after him. This game is packed to bursting at this point.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
But I thought in the southern hemisphere, internet connections make your game move faster instead.
This is Smash; there ain't no moving fast while playing online over a large distance.

While we're bringing up old leaks because we ended up getting Steve and Sephiroth anyone remember the Hitagi Katalina rumor? While it very likely was for Granblue Versus I do wonder if maybe Nintendo and Cygames did end up talking about Smash during this time and if they got put on the backburner for future DLC. Kind of like what happened to Steve. If nothing else while I hated the idea at the time now that I've gotten more familiar with Granblue I would dig it if it ever got into Smash and Gran and Djeeta or Katalina did end up getting here.
They eventually backtracked entirely and claimed that the deal with Katalina wasn't related to Smash, so if we did get a Cygames/Granblue rep in Volume 2 that rumor doesn't get any points.

Somewhat related, but today I found out that there's a paragraph about "another insider by the name of Ryce" on the SmashWiki's Vergeben leaks page (yes, he gets a whole page separate from the regular leak/rumor pages). Congrats Ryce, you'll forever be associated with him in the minds of Smash fans.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
God, the finger snapping sound so good.
Everything about Sephiroth is viscerally pleasing. You noted the fingersnap (so crisp!), and I would add the fwoom-fwoom-fwoom! of the Shadowflares striking their target, the schwinggg! on every sword slash and ground-piercing stab, the punchy sound of Octoslash pummeling a target, the sparkling release of Scintilla dissolving into light, and the dazzling fireworks show that is Flare, Megaflare and Gigaflare.

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is Smash; there ain't no moving fast while playing online over a large distance.

They eventually backtracked entirely and claimed that the deal with Katalina wasn't related to Smash, so if we did get a Cygames/Granblue rep in Volume 2 that rumor doesn't get any points.

Somewhat related, but today I found out that there's a paragraph about "another insider by the name of Ryce" on the SmashWiki's Vergeben leaks page (yes, he gets a whole page separate from the regular leak/rumor pages). Congrats Ryce, you'll forever he associated with him in the minds of Smash fans.
Oh yeah they backtracked on the claim and almost right after that Granblue Versus got announced so it was probably talking about that but outside of the Fire Emblem Heroes event for Dragalia Lost there hasn't been much collaboration with Nintendo and Cygames so it would be funny if it did end up going for Smash but who knows at this point. Granblue's weird localized but not really status does put it in a weird position and while there's Versus that did get a full localization I'm not sure if that would've impacted Nintendo's decision to want to get Cygame's involvement.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
"Hey! We can do cinematic character trailers where Nintendo characters get killed off, too!"

"And now...Ganondorf."
I was thinking that, but moreover, I was thinking that Flash artists really need to learn that zooming in on sprite art until it's like two pixels is not the best way to showcase it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The sad thing about Luna Nights is it confirms that the coolest character in Touhou - much like ARMS - isn't actually the main poster character of the series itself and would probably not be the series rep if it got into Smash, but at least we have dagger characters in the game anyway and time stopping mechanics in Smash is how you get into hell territory.

Status
Not open for further replies.