• The Unknown DLC will Continued

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding World of Light, I liked it, but it did feel a bit exhausting and there were some things they could have done better. I think they could have taken some inspiration from SaGa Scarlet Grace, because it's actually structured pretty similarly, but Scarlet Grace feels so much better to play. Specifically I'm thinking of the following:
  • Instead of taking fixed paths between battles, let us free roam on the map, and engage with battles at our will. This will make it less exhausting because you're not forced to go through battles to get to a certain place. Of course there can be gates to progression, but it would be more tied to completing objectives and puzzles across an area rather than just walking down a path through battles.
  • More/better puzzles on the map. Completing certain fights causes certain things to happen. Maybe there can also be an element of dialogue choices that trigger certain fights or not. WoL does this a little bit but it could do so much more.
  • A little bit more story, and a more grounded story. It doesn't need to be a ton, but if they could hit approximately Ring Fit Adventure levels of story, that would really help to keep the game compelling.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
I guess Ken is confirmed the most forgettable newcomer for me. I realized there were 20 and I must be forgetting someone, and I wasn't sure who until I double checked the list

TheCed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still puzzled by Ken being an Echo Fighter but Dr Mario is his own character.

Ken is really breaking the Idea of an Echo Fighter.

Jun 11, 2019
Ken's mid cause he lacks Ryu's fighter hobo charms

If i wanted a rich blonde guy to beat me up, I'd call Cloud cause i assume he's making decent income, couriers are probably pretty important in a post Giant Murder Rock world

Maybe

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Okay, I want to get into Smash Bros since I have had it on my Switch for like a year and people go absolutely nuts over it; but I'm just garbage at the game and I honestly dislike the whole fighting game community approach to it like obsessing over frame data and all of that overly complex stuff. Is there anything I can watch like a series of videos that will teach me some good basics for casual play without going into the competitive side too much?

Also, I tried out World of Light and wasn't a fan so I would like to know what you guys play as your main single player mode. Do you mostly set up matches against bots or is there something else I'm missing out on?

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I want to get into Smash Bros since I have had it on my Switch for like a year and people go absolutely nuts over it; but I'm just garbage at the game and I honestly dislike the whole fighting game community approach to it like obsessing over frame data and all of that overly complex stuff. Is there anything I can watch like a series of videos that will teach me some good basics for casual play without going into the competitive side too much?

Also, I tried out World of Light and wasn't a fan so I would like to know what you guys play as your main single player mode. Do you mostly set up matches against bots or is there something else I'm missing out on?
For single player stuff you might like Classic Mode, over in Games & more. It's static for each character, but the gimmicks are more reigned in than Spirits (IE: most of the time you're just fighting normal characters on normal stages about 80% of the time) and each Classic run is pretty bite sized chunk so you can do them at your leisure. Nice way to try out the characters

Other than that, yeah if you just want some solo smash just set up some rulesets against bots

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Bots are decent practice if you're just starting out.

You don't need to worry about frame data or anything like that. Mess around with some of the different movesets and see which ones you click with. The eight you start with are good picks to start with and will give you a sense of some of the basic character styles.

There's a help menu in-game you can access by clicking ZR from the main menu, which shows some of the mechanics and techniques to learn, as well as special moves for all the characters. You don't need to learn everything at once, pick one or two things you're not sure how to do and practice them until you get them down

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Since Advent Children proved that non-game tracks for relevant franchises are fair game, can we get some of the tracks from the Persona anime adaptations?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
You got 3 hours and 30 minutes to get the One Winged Slayer tag if you haven't already.

www.resetera.com

Resetera Super Smash Bros. Sephiroth Challenge - Ended

Today it was announced that those who purchase the Sephiroth DLC or Fighter Pass Vol. 2 for Super Smash Bros would have the chance of facing Sephiroth in a challenge. To celebrate this Limited Time Event, we'll be giving away the tag "One Winged Slayer" to anyone who can defeat Sephiroth on the...

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
For single player stuff you might like Classic Mode, over in Games & more. It's static for each character, but the gimmicks are more reigned in than Spirits (IE: most of the time you're just fighting normal characters on normal stages about 80% of the time) and each Classic run is pretty bite sized chunk so you can do them at your leisure. Nice way to try out the characters

Other than that, yeah if you just want some solo smash just set up some rulesets against bots
Bots are decent practice if you're just starting out.

You don't need to worry about frame data or anything like that. Mess around with some of the different movesets and see which ones you click with. The eight you start with are good picks to start with and will give you a sense of some of the basic character styles.

There's a help menu in-game you can access by clicking ZR from the main menu, which shows some of the mechanics and techniques to learn, as well as special moves for all the characters. You don't need to learn everything at once, pick one or two things you're not sure how to do and practice them until you get them down

Very good, I'll fire up some podcasts later and try it out with these things in mind. Thanks!

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
I like ranking stuff. Here's my opinion on the newcomers (ranked by personal hype level at the time of the announcement).

8ypBaCN.png

I was so happy about Ridley that legitimately this game could have just been everyone is here + Ridley and I would've been satisfied. It's crazy how much more we ended up getting.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Darn it ned, I was about to post Pokemon anime music!

Fine, backup post, Kirby anime music.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Very good, I'll fire up some podcasts later and try it out with these things in mind. Thanks!
Is there something in particular that's giving you trouble, or is it overwhelming overall, or do you feel like you don't get it? This thread can answer some of your more particular questions if you have them.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017

My favorite way to play single player is to set up a local 32 man tournament against 31 CPU's. I put them at level 9 but you may want to put them lower until you have a good grasp at what you're doing

Don't worry about frame data. Pick a character you like or that looks cool and go from there. You will learn which moves suck or not

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
You got 3 hours and 30 minutes to get the One Winged Slayer tag if you haven't already.

www.resetera.com

Resetera Super Smash Bros. Sephiroth Challenge - Ended

Today it was announced that those who purchase the Sephiroth DLC or Fighter Pass Vol. 2 for Super Smash Bros would have the chance of facing Sephiroth in a challenge. To celebrate this Limited Time Event, we'll be giving away the tag "One Winged Slayer" to anyone who can defeat Sephiroth on the...
Already done

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
So uhh... Did the Pokerap guy just really like Wartortle and Slowpoke?

he says each one's name pretty standard but then for those two he decided to imitate their anime voices lol

r_n

Oct 25, 2017
So uhh... Did the Pokerap guy just really like Wartortle and Slowpoke?

he says each one's name pretty standard but then for those two he decided to imitate their anime voices lol
Wartortle doesn't sound that much like their anime voice (which would...probably be the other way around since the wartortle episode was many many episodes away from when they recorded the rap), it was just so Intense. I mean it is kind of an intense name so hey go off i guess

Curt Baboon

Avenger
Mar 13, 2018
Is there something in particular that's giving you trouble, or is it overwhelming overall, or do you feel like you don't get it? This thread can answer some of your more particular questions if you have them.

I think it's not really a single thing that I struggle with but rather a general impression that the game is more complex than it lets on (which it is, much like every fighting game). I believe I get the basics, but when I hook up the Switch with friends or something it's like they're all just playing a different game and they get into it in a way I've never really understood.

However, it's possible it's just a matter of this being a go-to game for a LOT of people since they were really young. I was a Playstation kid so my first exposure to Smash was on the Wii playing on a friend's console like 5 years ago. I suppose between that and there being such a huge community of people who take the franchise extremely seriously I just got kind of intimidated by it and never saw it as a very casual game.

It's weird, because I've always loved Mortal Kombat which is definitely more daunting for newcomers with all the combos and stuff, and I've gotten by for years ignoring all the complicated stuff around the edges. I guess it's just a matter of Smash making a bad first impression that I've never really shaken off, but I do want to give it a real shot now.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's not really a single thing that I struggle with but rather a general impression that the game is more complex than it lets on (which it is, much like every fighting game). I believe I get the basics, but when I hook up the Switch with friends or something it's like they're all just playing a different game and they get into it in a way I've never really understood.

However, it's possible it's just a matter of this being a go-to game for a LOT of people since they were really young. I was a Playstation kid so my first exposure to Smash was on the Wii playing on a friend's console like 5 years ago. I suppose between that and there being such a huge community of people who take the franchise extremely seriously I just got kind of intimidated by it and never saw it as a very casual game.

It's weird, because I've always loved Mortal Kombat which is definitely more daunting for newcomers with all the combos and stuff, and I've gotten by for years ignoring all the complicated stuff around the edges. I guess it's just a matter of Smash making a bad first impression that I've never really shaken off, but I do want to give it a real shot now.
Yeah, that makes sense.

One thing a lot of the more hardcore players do is play a restricted set of stages and turn off items and such. I don't know if that's what your crowd does, but it does have the advantage of simplifying some of the aspects of the game to make it easier to learn. The stages Battlefield, Small Battlefield, and Final Destination (as well as the altered stage forms you can access from the stage select with X), which are on the top row of the stage select, have basic layouts and nothing crazy going on in them, so they're used frequently in tournaments and such.

You can set up a ruleset with "Create Ruleset" from the Smash menu - for a more tournament-like experience, pick Stock under Style, set Items to None, and click Set None on the item chart. Items are generally good for a more party game-like experience, but they're a lot to worry about if you're trying to learn some of the basics.

Deleted member 62099

Banned
Dec 12, 2019
I like ranking stuff. Here's my opinion on the newcomers (ranked by personal hype level at the time of the announcement).

8ypBaCN.png

I was so happy about Ridley that legitimately this game could have just been everyone is here + Ridley and I would've been satisfied. It's crazy how much more we ended up getting.
My S tier for announcement personal-hype level would be Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo & Kazooie, and Sephiroth.

It took me a week after Ridley's announcement to realize how amazing "Everyone is Here" was. Before, Smash speculation included the idea that some characters were going to get cut. After the 2017 E3, it all we had to look forward to was newcomers.

I have no attachment to King K. Rool, but knowing how many fans have wanted him over the years it was such a hype reveal. The trailer was amazing as well, tied with Sephiroth's for me. It also helped that K. Rool ended the greatest direct I have seen to date.

My only gripe with Banjo & Kazooie's reveal is that I watched it at work. Having to see it for the first time on my phone while trying to contain my excitement was torture.

I've never played FFVII. Only seen Advent Children and played Remake. For some reason, I loved AC but never got around to playing the game. Suffice it to say, I was really interested in FFVII lore and loved the music. I've listened to One Winged Angel so many times as a teen. Sephiroth's reveal blew me away. I've never been so hyped to hear the start of OWA.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

8ypBaCN.png

Link to the tier maker?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it:

MEKHc4y.png

As far as I'm concerned the first four are the crown jewels and anything after that is just gravy.

Last edited:

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020
This has been my thought for a while, either not in a state to show off or they weren't 100% committed to him being in the game as a separate character properly. Wouldn't surprise me if he was the final character added

Dark Pit's listed after all the other characters in Smash 4's... online icons I think? Somewhere in the stats menu anyway, even after the third parties. Always took that and being almost 1:1 with Pit to mean he was a very late addition

gonna join the tier train

JhP46ld.png

S:
  • Ridley — Wanted this guy since Brawl. Always loved his boss battles and wanted Metroid to give him more of a personality since I learned his backstory with Samus. He DOES feel a little small but overall think they did a great job translating him to Smash.
  • King K. Rool -- Donkey Kong Country was one of the first games I ever played and I loved everything about K. Rool, kept hoping he'd finally join Mario Tennis, Kart, etc. I even watched the cartoon cuz of him! Thought he was gone forever after not showing up for a decade, so that August 2018 Direct reveal was magical and his moveset is perfect.
  • Simon -- I'm a big Castlevania freak, so the Simon/Richter reveal and everything that came with it was like a big buffet! I don't play him a ton, but I love how faithful his kit is.
  • Banjo-Kazooie -- One of those "never gonna happen" picks that ended up happening. I wanted an N64 for Banjo-Kazooie, fell in love with the worlds and characters, was super-sad that the series left Nintendo and never got a proper sequel. At least Smash gave them a revival of sorts.
  • Sephiroth -- Another "never gonna happen" pick, definitely had a Final Fantasy 7 phase in middle school where I wanted him and Cloud to join Smash. Hoooooly crap was his trailer epic, and it helps I ended up really enjoying his kit.
A:
  • Dark Samus -- I never thought I'd get the chance to play as Dark Samus in Smash. I wanted her back in Brawl and when THAT didn't happen, thought she was out of the picture. She's my favorite Echo, they did a great job giving her personality through her unique animations.
  • Ken -- My Street Fighter main! Smash just wouldn't feel right without him alongside Ryu.
  • Terry -- I knew nothing about SNK or KOF before Terry joined, so I don't have much attachment to the character. The amount of care that went into all the content included with him boosts him up here.
  • Richter -- Again, huge Castlevania fan: Richter was a fantastic surprise, just wish they'd done more to differentiate him from Simon.
  • Piranha Plant -- Not gonna lie, at first I thought his reveal trailer was leading to Geno, so I was kinda upset when the plant showed up. That immediately disappeared once I saw how WEIRD it was, there's nothing else like PP. Nothing else COULD be like it. And that's the best kind of Smash pick.
B:
  • Incineroar -- Wasn't really feeling a new Pokemon after EVERYONE IS HERE, but Incineroar's got so much personality and has such a fun playstyle I'm fine with this pick.
  • Min Min -- Not much of an ARMS fan, but the music's awesome and Min Min's definitely unique.
  • Joker -- I hadn't played Persona 5 when Joker was announced, ended up playing it a year later and enjoyed it. Great game, can't say if I would've wanted Joker if I'd played it before Ultimate, but he brought a fun stage and music and I love his style.
  • Inkling -- ...Yeah, everyone was expecting them, haha. Not a big Splatoon fan, but they're fun to play as and definitely deserved the spot.
  • Hero -- Whoops, missed this one. I have no attachment to Dragon Quest and so was indifferent to just another swordsman. Making it four different Heroes and leaning hard into the magic and RNG of the franchise made up for it.
C:
  • All of these can be summed up as "didn't want them, don't find their gameplay that interesting, don't mind them being in." I don't hate any of the newcomers in Ultimate. Happy for their fans!

Deleted member 62099

Banned
Dec 12, 2019
Dark Pit's listed after all the other characters in Smash 4's... online icons I think? Somewhere in the stats menu anyway, even after the third parties. Always took that and being almost 1:1 with Pit to mean he was a very late addition

gonna join the tier train

JhP46ld.png

S:
  • Ridley — Wanted this guy since Brawl. Always loved his boss battles and wanted Metroid to give him more of a personality since I learned his backstory with Samus. He DOES feel a little small but overall think they did a great job translating him to Smash.
  • King K. Rool -- Donkey Kong Country was one of the first games I ever played and I loved everything about K. Rool, kept hoping he'd finally join Mario Tennis, Kart, etc. I even watched the cartoon cuz of him! Thought he was gone forever after not showing up for a decade, so that August 2018 Direct reveal was magical and his moveset is perfect.
  • Simon -- I'm a big Castlevania freak, so the Simon/Richter reveal and everything that came with it was like a big buffet! I don't play him a ton, but I love how faithful his kit is.
  • Banjo-Kazooie -- One of those "never gonna happen" picks that ended up happening. I wanted an N64 for Banjo-Kazooie, fell in love with the worlds and characters, was super-sad that the series left Nintendo and never got a proper sequel. At least Smash gave them a revival of sorts.
  • Sephiroth -- Another "never gonna happen" pick, definitely had a Final Fantasy 7 phase in middle school where I wanted him and Cloud to join Smash. Hoooooly crap was his trailer epic, and it helps I ended up really enjoying his kit.
A:
  • Dark Samus -- I never thought I'd get the chance to play as Dark Samus in Smash. I wanted her back in Brawl and when THAT didn't happen, thought she was out of the picture. She's my favorite Echo, they did a great job giving her personality through her unique animations.
  • Ken -- My Street Fighter main! Smash just wouldn't feel right without him alongside Ryu.
  • Terry -- I knew nothing about SNK or KOF before Terry joined, so I don't have much attachment to the character. The amount of care that went into all the content included with him boosts him up here.
  • Richter -- Again, huge Castlevania fan: Richter was a fantastic surprise, just wish they'd done more to differentiate him from Simon.
  • Piranha Plant -- Not gonna lie, at first I thought his reveal trailer was leading to Geno, so I was kinda upset when the plant showed up. That immediately disappeared once I saw how WEIRD it was, there's nothing else like PP. Nothing else COULD be like it. And that's the best kind of Smash pick.
B:
  • Incineroar -- Wasn't really feeling a new Pokemon after EVERYONE IS HERE, but Incineroar's got so much personality and has such a fun playstyle I'm fine with this pick.
  • Min Min -- Not much of an ARMS fan, but the music's awesome and Min Min's definitely unique.
  • Joker -- I hadn't played Persona 5 when Joker was announced, ended up playing it a year later and enjoyed it. Great game, can't say if I would've wanted Joker if I'd played it before Ultimate, but he brought a fun stage and music and I love his style.
  • Inkling -- ...Yeah, everyone was expecting them, haha. Not a big Splatoon fan, but they're fun to play as and definitely deserved the spot.
  • Hero -- Whoops, missed this one. I have no attachment to Dragon Quest and so was indifferent to just another swordsman. Making it four different Heroes and leaning hard into the magic and RNG of the franchise made up for it.
C:
  • All of these can be summed up as "didn't want them, don't find their gameplay that interesting, don't mind them being in." I don't hate any of the newcomers in Ultimate. Happy for their fans!
Terry really is something special. I've never been a fighting game fan. Never played any SNK games. It was interesting to get a leak the day before the reveal saying it would be SNK and then have people try to guess the character. Then came the trailer and it was beautifully done with the same characters people were guessing, all ending in Terry. Then the gameplay presentation came and you can feel how much appreciation the team has for this series.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Ranking the newcomers?

eoSz1MN.png

I guess that's me.

S: Actually use them, wanted them and love their game and movesets in Smash
A: I like them and happy they are here. I do play them often.
B: They are cool but I don't use them much.
C: I'm happy for their fans, sometime I forget they are in.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Fine, i'll succumb to peer pressure and make my tier list; subject to change becaue i'm really indecisive.

EmVtU99.png

S = Dreams do come true!
A = Didn't know I wanted them, but they turned out to be fun!
B = Super cool! Don't play them as often as other characters but I still appreciate their inclusion.
C = Don't do much for me personally but i'm happy for their fans.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Character tier list based only on how I personally felt about them being in the game when announced. No hard feelings, I am happy for any character's fans. ✌

S - Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo - 3 absolute dreams come true for me and that I was always going to spend time playing. Ridley is my main.
A - Isabelle, Daisy, Inkling, Simon - characters with big Nintendo history that are all no-brainers
Dark Samus - I love Metroid Prime 2, was never gonna complain about this Echo. Would fix those feet though.
B - Hero - Major character I'm not personally gonna play, but absolutely essential to Japanese gaming history. slightly soured by the fact Erdrich isn't the default, but excellent moveset that represents the landmark jrpg series
Incineroar - Not my favorite Gen 7 Pokémon, but he is still really cool and fun to both play as and fight against
Piranha Plant - extremely original and unique. Cool to see Mario enemies repped.
Sephiroth - if you asked me a week ago, would have rather had Black Mage or Terra, but he's really cool. One of the most important and coolest villains ever.
Steve - this shocked me, but Minecraft is a modern classic. Amazingly creative moveset.
Ken - major character but would have preferred Chun-Li. Not a trad fighter fan, but SF is too important to argue with
C - Byleth - Three Houses is incredible. Can't say I wouldn't have preferred Edelgard.
Min Min - ARMS isn't for me, but the lore is cool. I think she's a creative character.
D - Chrom - love Awakening and all, and he's really just a harmless bonus. Just felt a little FE fatigue and would trade him for a different Echo from a different franchise if I had a selfish magic wand and nobody would have known the difference
Richter - Cool dude but never experienced his Castlevania titles and have no attachment to the character. Again, would trade for a different Echo personally like Chrom.
Joker - Happy for his fans, LOVE the franchise, but just not something I ever needed In Smash when there's a limited number of DLC slots. Would trade for Jack Frost and SMT instead if I had a magic wand. I certainly don't mind third party characters, but think the combined legacy + longevity standards should be a little higher for them than Joker has achieved yet. That's just me gatekeeping with personal preferences though. Not trying to take away how great Persona 5 is or how hype he made some people.
F - Terry - I just don't care about traditional fighting games. This was the most disappointing addition for me because prior to Smash, this character might as well not have existed to me with how little I knew about SNK fighters. Which is a shame since SO much love went into his content-packed. Cool fighter with awesome music. But if had never made it in the game I never would have thought about him being in it once.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Character tier list based only on how I personally felt about them being in the game when announced. No hard feelings, I am happy for any character's fans. ✌

S - Ridley, K. Rool, Banjo - 3 absolute dreams come true for me and that I was always going to spend time playing. Ridley is my main.
A - Isabelle, Daisy, Inkling, Simon - characters with big Nintendo history that are all no-brainers
Dark Samus - I love Metroid Prime 2, was never gonna complain about this Echo. Would fix those feet though.
B - Hero - Major character I'm not personally gonna play, but absolutely essential to Japanese gaming history. slightly soured by the fact Erdrich isn't the default, but excellent moveset that represents the landmark jrpg series
Incineroar - Not my favorite Gen 7 Pokémon, but he is still really cool and fun to both play as and fight against
Piranha Plant - extremely original and unique. Cool to see Mario enemies repped.
Sephiroth - if you asked me a week ago, would have rather had Black Mage or Terra, but he's really cool. One of the most important and coolest villains ever.
Steve - this shocked me, but Minecraft is a modern classic. Amazingly creative moveset.
Ken - major character but would have preferred Chun-Li. Not a trad fighter fan, but SF is too important to argue with
C - Byleth - Three Houses is incredible. Can't say I wouldn't have preferred Edelgard.
Min Min - ARMS isn't for me, but the lore is cool. I think she's a creative character.
D - Chrom - love Awakening and all, and he's really just a harmless bonus. Just felt a little FE fatigue and would trade him for a different Echo from a different franchise if I had a selfish magic wand and nobody would have known the difference
Richter - Good dude but never experienced his Castlevania titles and have no attachment to the character. Again, would trade for a different Echo personally like Chrom.
Joker - Happy for his fans, LOVE the franchise, but just not something I ever needed In Smash when there's a limited number of DLC slots. Would trade for Jack Frost and SMT instead if I had a magic wand. I certainly don't mind third party characters, but think the combined legacy + longevity standards should be a little higher for them than Joker has achieved yet. That's just me gatekeeping with personal preferences though. Not trying to take away how great Persona 5 is or how hype he made some people.
F - Terry - I just don't care about traditional fighting games. This was the most disappointing addition for me because prior to Smash, this character might as well not have existed to me with how little I knew about SNK fighters. Which is a shame since SO much love went into his content-packed. Cool fighter with awesome music. But if had never made it in the game I never would have thought about him being in it once.

edit MondoMega jinx on our top 3

oops on the double post, somehow quoted myself.. iPad Era is rough 😭

Status
Not open for further replies.