Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I never beat World of Light. Actually, I never got that far into it. I finally went back in to my dormant save for it and realized I hadn't touched it since before any of the Fighters Pass DLC dropped. Ended up cleaning up a lot of it tonight with Byleth.

That Pauline battle can eat it though. Oh my god.

Last edited:

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
kQpf8We.png

Characters fall into a few pretty clear categories, roughly from best to worst case scenario.

Actively wanted, unexpected: Hero, Byleth, Chrom
Actively wanted, expected: Simon, Isabelle
Never considered, unexpected: Richter, Sephiroth, Dark Samus
Neutral on, unexpected: Ridley, Terry, Steve, Piranha Plant, Joker, Daisy
Neutral on, expected: Inkling, Min Min, K. Rool
Negative on, expected: Ken, Incineroar
Negative on, unexpected: Banjo

Ultimate has had some highlights, but when you put it next to Smash 4, it definitely pales. The expected characters were better, the surprises were better, it really just hit all the right notes for me. If the back half of FP2 is strong enough, it can probably catch up, but it'd take some real shocking picks that hit those same notes. Most characters that could hit that S-tier have been ruled out. Unless we get a curveball Dixie Kong at the 11th hour, or it turns out Geno is still on the table.

asq6Tw9.png

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I just discovered that Mavis Beacon of the typing teaching softwares is not a real person

Which means she is a videogame character created in the 80's so she is TOP Smash Bros potential

Hell, her most famous portayal is of a black woman, something that Neoxon will be very please to know when backing up my #MavisBeaconToSmash campain

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah, Robin was huge, for me too!

Can't imagine Smash without Robin. <3

Robin was so crazy for me. Like I had speculated "what if instead of Chrom, they added Robin, and then Lucina as a Marth clone, they're technically protagonists too, that'd be interesting." But that seemed like wishful thinking, not something they'd ever actually do - it's Smash, the main character gets in. Then you had the Gematsu leak which seemed to cement things.

But nope, dreams come true, Robin and Lucina! After all this time it's still the best reveal for me, I doubt it'll ever be topped.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
Robin was so crazy for me. Like I had speculated "what if instead of Chrom, they added Robin, and then Lucina as a Marth clone, they're technically protagonists too, that'd be interesting." But that seemed like wishful thinking, not something they'd ever actually do - it's Smash, the main character gets in. Then you had the Gematsu leak which seemed to cement things.

But nope, dreams come true, Robin and Lucina! After all this time it's still the best reveal for me, I doubt it'll ever be topped.

So, that's how I feel about Cloud / Sephiroth.
I didn't even realize PlayStation and/or FF characters could be possible...

What a game !!!

Robin is still my main. <3

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Link to the tier maker?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it:

MEKHc4y.png

As far as I'm concerned the first four are the crown jewels and anything after that is just gravy.

If we're comparing this to Smash 4...

MIL7Sef.png

Yeah, Smash 4 was kinda dire for me, lol. That empty A row, woof. Nothing against most of these D characters (except Corrin), they just did absolutely nothing for me and at the time there were definitely other characters I would have preferred to see. Some of these characters grew on me a bit in Ultimate, like WFT and Bayonetta, but I still can't make myself feel strongly about the Mii Fighters' presence whatsoever. And Corrin is Corrin.

Cloud pretty much saved the back half of Smash 4 speculation from being a total wash for me. WHAT a dream never ever character. The S tier is fairly exclusive, there's only five Smash reveals starting from Brawl I'd put in it (the other one being Diddy Kong). I suppose if I was speculating back during the Melee days Mewtwo might have been S tier but I didn't really think about Smash that way until the Brawl Dojo. 13 years of shitposting about Smash and counting. Damn.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Ranking Smash 4's newcomers is difficult; because I think pretty much all of the picks were solid, mostly great; but most of them didn't start clicking with me moveset-wise until Ultimate so my take on them is more negative than it probably should be.

Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, Shulk and Bayonetta were excellent inclusions and personal wants of mine. Robin and Lucina making it in over Chrom was very surprising but very welcome. Villager, Wii Fit Trainer and Duck Hunt Duo were also welcome surprises. Pac-Man and Ryu totally earned their spots on the roster as major video game icons. Cloud is Cloud. Greninja was a fine choice for a new Pokémon. Dark Pit deserves better. Corrin is in the game. Didn't expect both Rosalina and Bowser Jr. to make it; didn't expect Rosalina to be playable at all actually. Oh, and I guess the Mii Fighters were fun to mess around with.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I like Byleth a lot they are my fav DLC to play and I loved my Byleth in FETH. Sephiroth is getting pretty close to taking over Byleth as my favorite moveset.

This is actually pretty great.

And it's my endgame SMRPG team too. I always use Bowser for the final two dungeons because Peach breaks the game.

Last edited:

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Does his fanbase dress up in uniform, attend mass gathering, perform chants and worship idols?
Well, there's a Tales of Festival every year in Japan with live musical performances. That's all I know. They're doing the whole 25th anniversary celebration right now.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
I like Byleth a lot they are my fav DLC to play and I loved my Byleth in FETH. Sephiroth is getting pretty close to taking over Byleth as my favorite moveset.

A lot of people sure are upset in the comments acting like this is an insult by Sakurai to Geno fans when it's just a cool reference and shows Sakurai likes SMRPG, enough to know about the secret boss.

Meanwhile I'm here with no Haruka Amami costume.

CyberWolfBia

Apr 5, 2019
Brazil

Congrats! Sure it must feel super satisfying after all the work! I'm glad for you! 🐺 ✨

--by the way, is finally done! last update on this chart after the Sephiroth presentation
SMASH-Character-Speculation-Dec-2020.png

can't imagine we're getting much more cullings in Spirit Events for next year though

I'd really like to get more Nintendo characters in this Nintendo game.
as much I'd love to have Dixie and still a couple of characters trapped in Assist Trophy purgatory (Krystal and Ashley), I feel 3rd Party guests for DLC is always the way to go. It's so marketable, the good publicity they bring for Smash is unmatched and probably they also sell a lot of passes. Nintendo is probably using it to strengthening 3rd Party business relationships, which is quite smart. And also.. I really like when more companies and franchises joins the crossover growing its scope even more!

as the image above shows, there's still so many good picks, big icons in the industry and quite demanded characters;

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely feeling better controlling Sephiroth than I expected, even the pseudo-counter seems fun

by the ROOL OF KONTRAST, that means the next character is likely to have two or more counters, all of them with Marth timing

RomanceDawn

Teacher of Superheroines
Oct 29, 2017
Los Angeles
Seems like final
Character reveals always turn into something of a let down. Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Wolf, Ken, Inceneroar, Piranha Plant, Corrin, Byleth.

Of course this is all subjective as I was super hyped for Piranha Plant and have gotten pretty good with it today. Steve and Seperoth seem like super mega high bars to leap over so for my sake I hope at least one character who isn't that high on the stardom list makes it.

People will say "Dixie Kong? She deserves to be in but that's base roster stuff! Well fine!" At that point I will be crying more tears of joy.

Deleted member 62099

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
Seems like final
Character reveals always turn into something of a let down. Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Wolf, Ken, Inceneroar, Piranha Plant, Corrin, Byleth.

Of course this is all subjective as I was super hyped for Piranha Plant and have gotten pretty good with it today. Steve and Seperoth seem like super mega high bars to leap over so for my sake I hope at least one character who isn't that high on the stardom list makes it.

People will say "Dixie Kong? She deserves to be in but that's base roster stuff! Well fine!" At that point I will be crying more tears of joy.
Bayonetta was the final reveal for Smash 4 though.
Incineroar and Piranha Plant were disappointing for me at first, but the movesets and personality won me over. I will agree though that people should not expect the final character to be the most generally-appealing character.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Congrats! Sure it must feel super satisfying after all the work! I'm glad for you! 🐺 ✨

--by the way, is finally done! last update on this chart after the Sephiroth presentation
SMASH-Character-Speculation-Dec-2020.png

can't imagine we're getting much more cullings in Spirit Events for next year though

as much I'd love to have Dixie and still a couple of characters trapped in Assist Trophy purgatory (Krystal and Ashley), I feel 3rd Party guests for DLC is always the way to go. It's so marketable, the good publicity they bring for Smash is unmatched and probably they also sell a lot of passes. Nintendo is probably using it to strengthening 3rd Party business relationships, which is quite smart. And also.. I really like when more companies and franchises joins the crossover growing its scope even more!

as the image above shows, there's still so many good picks, big icons in the industry and quite demanded characters;
Thank you, CyberWolfJV.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little late to the party, but congratulations, Neoxon! That's a huge accomplishment.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if the last character is Dennis.

By Dennis, I mean a character you never heard of recognized by, like, two people in this thread or less. If you would like an actual game character named Dennis, I'm sorry, I had to pick some name. Feel free to imagine that you're one of those two people, but the last-but-Dennis character is Antonine. And if you stan for both a Dennis and an Antonine, I refuse to believs you cannot adapt this yourself.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine if the last character is Dennis.

By Dennis, I mean a character you never heard of recognized by, like, two people in this thread or less. If you would like an actual game character named Dennis, I'm sorry, I had to pick some name. Feel free to imagine that you're one of those two people, but the last-but-Dennis character is Antonine. And if you stan for both a Dennis and an Antonine, I refuse to believs you cannot adapt this yourself.
So what you're saying is, we're getting this joker:

This is Dennis from Clock Tower 3.

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not going to make a tier list, but I drew a set of comics last year that will explain why Banjo getting in meant so much to me.

SLoiNRF.png

DvBtzCX.png

jtmmachine

Nov 2, 2020

I know it's a shitpost but honestly Clock Tower's an unsung influencer of survival horror that started out on the Super Famicom, would make a fun dark horse pick. Giving us that much-coveted Sunsoft rep.

At least give us Premium Mii Swordfighter Scissorman with the Clock Tower 1 chase theme!

While looking the current owner up, found some fun facts: The original developer Human Entertainment disbanded in 2000, its employees going on to form a couple notable studios. These include Grasshopper Manufacture/No More Heroes, the Spike part of Spike Chunsoft, and Sandlot who gave us Zangeki no Reginleiv and Chosoju Mecha MG aka the origin of that badass Marionation Gears song

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, why not. That's actually picture perfect the type of "Dennis" I was thinking about, though mine one was a bit different - but that's close in spirit. Some boy in regular clothes.

I'm not even mad yet, but... who is this guy? What the heck am I looking at? Why is THIS a character Sakurai okayed and Nintendo picked up?

I couldn't provide a better illustration myself.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
My ignore list grew many sizes this day thanks to all these tier lists being posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.