• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
For me, it depends. A well designed difficult course is okay where I feel challenged and get better. The ones that just throw all kinds of bullshit at you are the ones I bail on.

Same.

The main things I can't stand in "hard" levels are doors/pipes that go into an immediate killbox, and having to do big blind jumps. I like doing expert/super expert endless but a lot of this type of garbage gets pulled in with it. Tbh, I wish there was some way for the community to get levels flagged for certain things, but I don't know how realistic that is, or if that happens in the background if something gets boo'd enough.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Same.

The main things I can't stand in "hard" levels are doors/pipes that go into an immediate killbox, and having to do big blind jumps. I like doing expert/super expert endless but a lot of this type of garbage gets pulled in with it. Tbh, I wish there was some way for the community to get levels flagged for certain things, but I don't know how realistic that is, or if that happens in the background if something gets boo'd enough.

I do wish they would add a troll tag for levels that are deliberately designed to trick the player for those of us who enjoy them. There is a very clear line between a good troll level, and some hot garbage that isn't fun to play.

NHarmonic.

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Would love if somebody gave this level a shot!

My husband and I made it together :)

Breaking Bill

R81-BW0-GJF

Amazing. That ending was so good.

One thing is, the part where a flying goomba is shot at the same time with the meow bullet bill made it tricky, because they usually cancel each other as soon as they come in contact.

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Alright here's the first three I really cut my teeth on. Nothing extravagant and probably not great bu hey practice.

Running through the night sky.

51V-VTM-XFG

Snow Good (My first real try at a level and probably my least favorite.)

T9T-SB6-R5G

Desert of Doors (this is probably my favorite as basic as it is.)

R01-QXS-3JG

I played Desert of Doors and enjoyed it!

Just be careful about softlocking the player. If the star runs out before you get the P block you have to start over. Maybe could be fixed by having the star come out of a pipe instead of a block!

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Picked it up today! Already having a blast.

Did a quick level to start: 59J-YV5-GDF

Cute little ghost house. I liked the wall jumping bits. Im glad you are enjoying the game!

First level is up: Gone in 30 Seconds (1W4-DTQ-FMG)

Getting a basic feel for level creation. This is really fun so far!

I made it with 1 second left! nice first level. The part with the spikes is mean.

Finally got my first level uploaded. I'm happy with it! Named it Finnicky Forest Factory.

Its a Super Mario World forest themed level with an underground factory with multiple pathways in it. I used swinging claws, on/off switches and plenty of slopes.

Here's the course ID: HNT-J8C-2SG

Please give any feedback, I want to do better than I did in mm1!
Whats in this pipe... AHHHHH!! I really liked the jungle bits. it felt sprawling and cool. You shoudl have powerup near the check point because Its rough doing that bit as small mario.

If anyone likes to destroy stone blocks with big bomb-ombs, i made "Bob-omb fortress infiltration"! Standard level! Crazy bombs raining!

Code: 766-3HB-N7G
Theme: Super Mario World!
That was a lot of bombs... usually super chaotic levels dont work. this one almost didnt but it was thrilling escaping all the bombs.

If anyone likes jump scares you might enjoy my level: THE STALKER

WD0-RNK-GRF

It isn't too hard but it should be fun!

This was great! a bit hard at the end but the theme was hilarious and pretty shocking!

Civilstrife

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing. That ending was so good.

One thing is, the part where a flying goomba is shot at the same time with the meow bullet bill made it tricky, because they usually cancel each other as soon as they come in contact.
That was fun!

Though I nearly ran out of time on the part where you had to guide the bullet bill with the Winged Goomba.

Thanks guys :)

My husband is on the non-gamer side but after 10 minutes he was hooked and we just couldn't stop designing this thing until it was done. And yeah, that winged goomba part is definitely tricky. There's always such a fine line between challenging and frustrating the player I find!

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Still working on my level where you have to keep a Goomba alive to be able to beat it. One thing I realized was a way to have it end is require that the one Goomba must be defeated and you have to reach the goal, and then have an impassable obstacle for Mario without the Goomba being alive. If the Goomba does die, there are always spikes available to die, although I may just add doors that take you back to the start that you can use if the Goomba dies.

tjac

Oct 25, 2017
Last one for a minute. Made a challenging but quick platforming level. Gonna try some easier levels and some more puzzle type stuff next.

P96-J5Y-0BG

Nov 27, 2017
I made a couple of Kamek-themed levels (I like Kamek):

Kamek Village
2Q9-L0D-PSF
Number of Kameks: 1

Kameks in the Clouds
439-19H-10H
Number of Kameks: 6

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
It seems crazy that you can't make doors to sub areas :/. I'm finding myself unpleasantly surprised by some of these weird omissions that were present in the original games.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So for the new page here are my three levels.

Running through the night sky.

51V-VTM-XFG

Snow Good (My first real try at a level and probably my least favorite.)

T9T-SB6-R5G

Desert of doors. (My favorite and thanks to Civilstrife for the help.)

TWD-5X7-7NG

guru-guru

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody make any good vehicle levels? Let me know the code(s), and I'll try them tomorrow.

(Sorry if this request has been posted already, but this thread moves fast!)

The007JiM

Oct 25, 2017
Ok i did my first ever level in Mario Maker and i want to submit this level for the competition.

Mushroom Kingdom Avenue
9KF-1JT-FWF

Also i would appreciate some feedback. I didn't have Mario Maker 1 in the wiiu so this is my first attempt to build something.

The level idea came from simple curiosity for this Kingdom since super mario RPG.

Also i'm planning to build another Mario location for next weekend.

It's really hard to do something doable for differents kinds of players. For that reason red coins are optional.
Fun experience!

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I played your 3D World course and really liked it. The level felt massive with all the subareas and I really liked the boss arena you set up. Could've really used a mushroom for that fight though

Thank you very much.😊

Interesting that you didn't noticed, both trees have 1 mushroom hidden, just climb it up. ^^

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
In stark contrast to my last level, here's some gimmick jerk thing that I designed for people to shout at each other in multiplayer

The Mushroom Stalks at Midnight

11Y-5BM-H4G

If anyone likes jump scares you might enjoy my level: THE STALKER

WD0-RNK-GRF

It isn't too hard but it should be fun!

this kicked ass

Last edited:

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, I gotta play that level by optimiss if that's the feedback so far! :D So many levels to try out from you folks!

Here's one of mine. Side-scrolling airship level with a twist. Three big coins hidden as always. Now World 2 is finished!

Also, no one has dared challenge my ghost house!

d-sxyusucaayuifysjkg.jpg

Rhete

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all here is my second level, it's a night time ghost house, so you have to tread carefully and use the light sources around you. It's a bit difficult and sitting on 0 plays right now.

HV6-5G6-1KG

itschris

Oct 27, 2017
I just uploaded my first level:

Lava Surfing

5TB-GX0-NVF

mIfqvy0.jpg

I borrowed the concept from one of the Story Mode levels - you get in a Dry Bones shell and ride it across the rising lava. I made a longer, more challenging stage compared to the one in Story Mode (hopefully not too challenging, though!).

Last edited:

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
I forgot how pathetic the wifi range for the Switch is.
The only way it'll connect to the internet is if it's right next to my router, upstairs (PS3 and PS4 have no such issues).
This makes going online highly problematic, as I have zero interest (and even less ability) in playing this in handheld mode, rendering the online subscription useless.
For shits and giggles, I fired up the WiiU, and that went online no problem.

banter

Jan 12, 2018
That awkward moment when you don't realize the title screen is its own level until after you've beaten story mode...

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
VsoClzj.png

The ResetEra Course World has reached its first big milestone: 102 levels have been posted by 74 users!

Fill out this Google form to add your level to the list!

The most popular game styles so far are Supe Mario World and Super Mario Bros. 3. The most used tags are standard, themed and short and sweet.

9eRvntH.png

Kaban

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still adjusting to the cursor controls, and I still prefer the Wii U's touch interface overall, but I'll say this: cursor controls actually make me consider my levels a bit more. The limited movement options force me to be a bit more particular about what elements I use in my courses, whereas the freedom of the touch screen just lets me spew a bunch of random parts everywhere without rhyme or reason.

With that, still miss the Wii U interface - but MM2 lives up to the original so far.

eseqko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm trying to get back at making levels. I was able to make some really complicated ones on the Wii U, but here are some simple ones. Tell me what you think:

P9D-KAG-V6G
MQF-03K-SXF
BS4-G3N-YQG

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Tried surfing the web to see if I could find an answer but I couldn't. Is there a way that anyone knows that will switch the unit's starting direction? For example I want one goomba walking to the right to start while another one walks to the left to start.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
My first SMM2 creation. SMB3 with the Forest theme and a lot of fire hazards, hence the clever "Forest Fire" title.

No super-crazy gimmicks, but hopefully still pretty fun.

R83-3FP-9NF

DashReindeer

Perfect World
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
This game is amazing. Ended up playing all day with my friends swapping Switches in and out of the dock and building levels to try and stump each other. If anyone wants to take a stab at my first attempt at Making Mario, have at it.

ZJC CW6 91G

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I changed the level around a little to make it easier for a 2-3 level and changed some pipe/item placement, too. NHarmonic. and optimiss -- could you check this level out again and tell me what you think about the changes? There's even a reason for going the wrong way this time.

Level 2-3 is a ghost house in the NSMBU style. I don't know how tricky the exit is, so please let me know what you think about it.

EDIT: Changed things up so new code: RLG-XBS-M7G

d-sn0a9vuaevqt69hkyh.jpg

Toño

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Spain
It's here where we share our own levels? I reading all the OT to find all your levels.

My first one, I tried to make an easy traditional level, I hope you don't "Boo" it too much ;)

Name: Taxis Mario Level 1-1
Style: SMB3
Course ID: MSS-TPY-7DG
Tags: Standard

Last edited:

Scrooge

Oct 25, 2017
Got the game later than expected. Put this together in a hurry. Standard Mario level in 3D World style, no special theme, just jump, hit blocks, and collect at least 100 coins along the way. Give it a try if you'd like.

One hundred in two hundred

CNG-Q27-FJF

Last edited: