• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What's your TOP TWO favorite features of the new update?

• Super World Maker

Votes: 63 71.6%
  • The Koopalings

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • New Power-Ups and Headwear

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The SMB2 Mushroom

Votes: 34 38.6%
  • The Cursed Key & Phantos

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • ON/OFF Blocks & ON/OFF Trampoline in 3D World

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Mechakoopas

Votes: 6 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Mo' Moles, Mo' Problems
NH8-09M-HFG

SMB3 - Normal Difficulty - Standard/Theme
Navigate the sewers, but be mindful when triggering switches. Those crafty moles have been tinkering with explosives and they're clogging up the pipeworks. Clear 'em out!

Oct 25, 2017
Hey Gotdatmoney and QuixoticNeutral! Thanks a lot for taking the time to check out some of the levels I posted and for your thoughts and feedback (long jumps will work). I just watched Quixotics videos and it was cool to see you take your time and not sprint to the goal and move on. :)

Glad you enjoyed it. I know how frustrating it can be for traditional-style makers to make tons of secrets and alternate routes that go completely ignored, since the incentive systems in Mario Maker are all about the clear, so I try to be a little bit more thorough when it's clear that an easy-going level was set up as a place to be explored or replayed.

I picked up this game on Monday during the Mar10 Sale. I'm loving it so far. I've already made 3 courses there all pretty traditional platforming, but I tried to pick interesting themes and limit my use of object/enemy types. If you give these a try and have any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

Sudden Valley Construction Inc. - [201-04M-QMG]
This desert is littered with cranes and shoddy construction projects, so be wary of falling platforms and the union-busting bullet bills. For the final boss, demolish the HQ building and reach the goal!

Chomper's Forest - [833-HCS-KRG]
Make your way through the forest to collect the 5 red coins guarded by the big Chain Chomp. Then jump down the tower and quickly make your escape!

Thanks again for hanging out for so long the other night. You've already seen me play everything, but as I said, this is a strong start that will resonate with the play style of a lot of the regulars here. The longevity of SMM is all about finding the right like-minded people/communities to sustain each other's interest.

I realized afterwards, when going over the video to check something, that I forgot to answer your question about the Z-shaped tracks. So in Mario Maker, mostly due to the influence of super-accurate Super Expert levels in the first game, you'll often come across notation that is meant to spell out to the player what to do and how to do it. I honestly think these are overused in levels where they don't belong, as they are mainly useful to make blind runs possible in speedy levels where you don't have much time to process what's in front of you before you fall and die. But if you play a lot of Mario Maker, you'll come across this a lot, so you might as well use it.

- Z means spin jump (since it's now bound to the shoulder buttons, rather than A like it was in SMW; I think it's called Z largely because of Smash on the GameCube controller, where Z was where the R button is now). It's there to remind people that a spin-jump-only obstacle (a low ceiling, the top of a Thwomp, etc.) is directly ahead.

- A square that is open on one side (like a C or U) means "throw object from this spot in the direction of the opening" (e.g. throw right or up, respectively).

- An empty square usually designates an invisible block. (Then what's the point of making it invisible, you might wonder? Well, this is often a workaround for when the spot needs to start out empty for the level to work, like letting the player or an object fall through, but the creator wants the player to know that a block will be there on the way back up.)

- Now that yellow P-blocks in the game, you'll also see empty P-blocks, which look like yellow targeting reticules, designate spots where you are supposed to jump, like spots in mid-air that would be hard to determine for yourself (e.g. when bouncing off a rapidly moving target). In older levels you would see this done with coins, but doing this with P-blocks has come into fashion recently because they don't disappear when you touch them.

You typically won't see these indicators in traditional levels; they're rather ugly and "un-Nintendo", and again, they exist for compact speed runs or Kaizo-style levels where you have no time to rest—levels that are all about execution rather than figuring out what to do on your own. However, some traditional makers like to put in the Z anyway as a sort of tutorial/reminder for beginners to use the spin jump, in case the player doesn't really know how things work in SMW/NSMBU and doesn't remember that it's safe to bounce over certain enemies like Thwomps and Piranha Plants. I personally don't prefer this, but I can see why makers do it if their aim is to keep their clear rates high and reach a larger audience.

I can send you a lot of other recommendations as you're getting started. Since you're clearly interested in taking advantage of mix-and-match object interactions and moving parts: one resource I find absolutely indispensable is the Common Contraptions guide (Google Docs). This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date resource on common setups (like switch activation mechanisms) and other things in the editor that are undocumented or not obvious, and is basically an inexhaustible list of things to play around with in the editor. If you're unclear about the rules of a specific interaction or object behaviour, chances are, it's been tested here.

For something in video form that is a little more compact, one of the best starter packs is Tobias Bergdorf's Item Breakdown series on YouTube. These are featurettes of a few minutes in length that just explore the rules/interactions of a single item at a time and offer a few ideas, and should be much less overwhelming to newer makers who are still in the "play around with everything" phase of discovering the game.

This is a ton of information to absorb, and after hundreds of hours I'm learning new things or consulting references like these all the time myself. But if you're diving into the deep end anyway, you might as well get a sense of how deep it goes.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Thanks again for hanging out for so long the other night. You've already seen me play everything, but as I said, this is a strong start that will resonate with the play style of a lot of the regulars here. The longevity of SMM is all about finding the right like-minded people/communities to sustain each other's interest...

Thanks so much for hosting! I really enjoy your stream. That was a lot of fun and I learned a ton. I popped in today, but had some work to do, so I couldn't contribute much.

Thanks for these resources, too. It seems like the interactions between different objects is where the real finesse and creativity lies, so these will be great for learning and ideas.

I just finished up my fifth course tonight.

Pow in the Clouds
Q8V-KGT-CTG
SMB3 / Normal Difficulty / Standard & Themed
Fight off the hammer bros in the clouds using whatever you've got at your disposal...

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to try to finish my latest level before Animal Crossing comes out. It's my most complex, and high concept, level yet and I suspect it may be the first Mario Maker level ever directly inspired by an abstract painting.
Thanks so much for hosting! I really enjoy your stream. That was a lot of fun and I learned a ton. I popped in today, but had some work to do, so I couldn't contribute much.

Thanks for these resources, too. It seems like the interactions between different objects is where the real finesse and creativity lies, so these will be great for learning and ideas.

I just finished up my fifth course tonight.

Pow in the Clouds
Q8V-KGT-CTG
SMB3 / Normal Difficulty / Standard & Themed
Fight off the hammer bros in the clouds using whatever you've got at your disposal...
Loved the overworld. You found a really nice balance of different enemies, platforms, and mechanics to play with. The subworld section could use a little help though. You should take advantage of scroll-stop, which allows you to control how far the camera scrolls, in this case to the right, by placing a line of ground or hard blocks all the way from the bottom to the top. In this situation it's a little annoying how the left half of the screen effectively disappears if you go towards the right, and it effects the difficulty since it means the enemies coming out of the pipes on the left side will not spawn consistently. Implement that simple fix and I think the subworld would be solid and on par in quality with the overworld.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
New Level alert!! Actually a remake of a level I made in Mario Maker 1 with some tweaks. SMB3 as usual. I present:

Course Name: Welcome to Cloudship Galaxy
Course ID: PYF-Y6S-50H

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ok, here's level number 19, inspired by Piet Mondrian's painting Broadway Boogie Woogie, which looks like this:

W1siZiIsIjQ3NzIxMiJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MjAwMFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

I imagine you can put together what the level will be made of just looking at the painting. It's generally a relatively tough level, but I tried to provide the player with lots of power-ups and make the checkpoints reasonable.

Broadway Boogie Woogie
9W5-294-RXF
If Mondrian played SMM2, would he be part of Neoplatformism or De Spijny?

New Level alert!! Actually a remake of a level I made in Mario Maker 1 with some tweaks. SMB3 as usual. I present:

Course Name: Welcome to Cloudship Galaxy
Course ID: PYF-Y6S-50H
Nice, some tricky jumps but not too tough. I'm impressed by how you were able to keep the visual appearance so consistent between the overworld and subworld despite being different themes.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Ok, here's level number 19, inspired by Piet Mondrian's painting Broadway Boogie Woogie, which looks like this:

W1siZiIsIjQ3NzIxMiJdLFsicCIsImNvbnZlcnQiLCItcmVzaXplIDIwMDB4MjAwMFx1MDAzZSJdXQ.jpg

I imagine you can put together what the level will be made of just looking at the painting. It's generally a relatively tough level, but I tried to provide the player with lots of power-ups and make the checkpoints reasonable.

Broadway Boogie Woogie
9W5-294-RXF
If Mondrian played SMM2, would he be part of Neoplatformism or De Spijny?

Man this was tough. I did manage the first clear. The level is really well designed though, it's impressive how you made it all work. Must have take ages. Like you said, its a visual style I don't think I've ever seen.

Nice, some tricky jumps but not too tough. I'm impressed by how you were able to keep the visual appearance so consistent between the overworld and subworld despite being different themes.

Thank ya, I tried the same idea a little earlier in SMM2's life but I think I missed the mark comparatively to this one. Brought this over from SMM1 because when I made it in the first game there were no checkpoints so it was too long and I don't think it got the audience it may have had otherwise.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
Loved the overworld. You found a really nice balance of different enemies, platforms, and mechanics to play with. The subworld section could use a little help though. You should take advantage of scroll-stop, which allows you to control how far the camera scrolls, in this case to the right, by placing a line of ground or hard blocks all the way from the bottom to the top. In this situation it's a little annoying how the left half of the screen effectively disappears if you go towards the right, and it effects the difficulty since it means the enemies coming out of the pipes on the left side will not spawn consistently. Implement that simple fix and I think the subworld would be solid and on par in quality with the overworld.
Hi Dyle, thanks for the feedback! I thought I implemented the scroll-stop, but I guess I wasn't doing it right. I figured it out for my most recent one.

Toxic Timbers
5PF-161-GQF

SMW / Difficulty: Hard / Standard & Themed
Clamber atop the giant, blighted oak to escape the poison swamp. 5 red coins, optional.

This is my 6th level ever, and I spent a lot more time playtesting and tuning it. I hope it shows! Please let me know what you think. If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

QuixoticNeutral ,I made a point to play through without the run button to make sure it was more accessible for other skill levels. Great advice!

Last edited:

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
If you are stuck home like me, then join me for another corona virus edition of streaming mario maker, 2 hours from the time of this post!

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Twitch is the world's leading video platform and community for gamers.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Hi Dyle, thanks for the feedback! I thought I implemented the scroll-stop, but I guess I wasn't doing it right. I figured it out for my most recent one.

Toxic Timbers
5PF-161-GQF

SMW / Difficulty: Hard / Standard & Themed
Clamber atop the giant, blighted oak to escape the poison swamp. 5 red coins, optional.

This is my 6th level ever, and I spent a lot more time playtesting and tuning it. I hope it shows! Please let me know what you think. If you have any feedback, I'd love to hear it.

QuixoticNeutral ,I made a point to play through without the run button to make sure it was more accessible for other skill levels. Great advice!

I had fun with it. You can definitely see a step up in design compared to your previous levels!!

Hey Gotdatmoney and QuixoticNeutral! Thanks a lot for taking the time to check out some of the levels I posted and for your thoughts and feedback (long jumps will work). I just watched Quixotics videos and it was cool to see you take your time and not sprint to the goal and move on. :)

No problem man. Keep the levels coming, I'm enjoying them all :)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
"New" new level alert. Made an underwater level (I know) that I think is pretty nifty. It's got one tricky part but otherwise its manageable for any one of average skills. I was trying to decide whether it needed a checkpoint but it's only one sub world and pretty straight forward. May add later if the is demand haha. I present:

Course Name: Wiggler Pond: Redux
Course ID: R6C-223-7WF

Edit: New code, made some slight difficulty tweaks and added a bit of sign posting based off watching a few streamers play it.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Rockin' Wonky Coaster

FTH-GB8-X1H

Since all theme parks are closed, why not experience a Wiggler Coaster!! Chills, thrills, & pokeys!? Be careful, looks like parts of the track are missing.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
gonna be doing another "stay at home corona edition" stream in a few minutes!

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Oct 25, 2017
I'm guessing that most of you dropped off to binge on Animal Crossing like I did, so I'm behind on most of the new creations from this page, but I'm hoping to find some time in my schedule to do another big backlog recording session so the makers here can see their most recent work in action.

In the meantime:

Rockin' Wonky Coaster

FTH-GB8-X1H

Since all theme parks are closed, why not experience a Wiggler Coaster!! Chills, thrills, & pokeys!? Be careful, looks like parts of the track are missing.

I featured this at the top of my stream today (the first level in this VOD) and had a blast with it. Considering how much back-and-forth there was in the track setups, there was a lot of room for me to work with as the player. The triple-Wiggler design does a lot to make this feel like a good auto-scroller that rewards you for making sharp decisions about when to push to the head of the track and when to fall back.

Some of the bigger vertical drops threw me off slightly simply due to the camera position, but the flow of the level was fair and consistent enough that I could often predict where to go even if the track was off-screen. There was one spot in an ascent late in the level that I couldn't seem to do without taking a hit, but it was followed up immediately by a good mushroom placement. (Not sure if I could safely snag that 30-coin, either.) And as I noted in the commentary, I've been replaying SMW again lately and it took some mental adjustment to wrap my head around the subtle differences between the two games, as I had totally forgotten that the Pokey collision logic isn't the same.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing that most of you dropped off to binge on Animal Crossing like I did, so I'm behind on most of the new creations from this page, but I'm hoping to find some time in my schedule to do another big backlog recording session so the makers here can see their most recent work in action.

In the meantime:

I featured this at the top of my stream today (the first level in this VOD) and had a blast with it. Considering how much back-and-forth there was in the track setups, there was a lot of room for me to work with as the player. The triple-Wiggler design does a lot to make this feel like a good auto-scroller that rewards you for making sharp decisions about when to push to the head of the track and when to fall back.

Some of the bigger vertical drops threw me off slightly simply due to the camera position, but the flow of the level was fair and consistent enough that I could often predict where to go even if the track was off-screen. There was one spot in an ascent late in the level that I couldn't seem to do without taking a hit, but it was followed up immediately by a good mushroom placement. (Not sure if I could safely snag that 30-coin, either.) And as I noted in the commentary, I've been replaying SMW again lately and it took some mental adjustment to wrap my head around the subtle differences between the two games, as I had totally forgotten that the Pokey collision logic isn't the same.

After like 800 hours I just needed a break to recharge and play other games. Finally finished Lin's Awakening. I definitely am going to return to it!! Btw, do you have a streaming schedule?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, that's the kind of update that justifies getting back to the game...

...if my fiancé ever stops playing Animal Crossing, that is :P

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
After 100+ hours on Fire Emblem, I was itching to come back to MM2 and... I didn't have to wait long for a perfect excuse.

Mario 2 shroom looks amazing to me, and of course, World Maker to put my Ghost Houses in! (even though there doesn't seem to be a dedicated Ghost theme to it, it doesn't matter too much).

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Was looking for a good reason to delete my levels, fix issues (both personal and from other players), and upload them anew, so this seems like a prime time to do so.

I don't really mind losing likes or Maker points or whatever. Hopefully these new improvements and the ability to create a game will generate new interest anyway.

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
makerera_discord2.fw.png

Quick reminder that we have a Discord server with channels for course sharing, level design and contests. It's been mostly inactive for the last few months, but maybe we'll see some more activity with this new update:

Join the MakerEra Discord Server!

Check out the MakerEra community on Discord - hang out with 86 other members and enjoy free voice and text chat.

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Spent the last 4 hours playing Multiplayer Vs with friends. God, I forgot how fun this game is. Soooooo excited for v3.

...i gotta update the OT lol

TheZjman

Banned
Nov 22, 2018
Man, that new update is awesome. Definitely going to jump back in. It's update 3 though? Link update was one, what did the other add?

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
There are not enough gifs of exploding heads on the internet to express how I feel about this news.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder how it's going to work with worlds? Will you be able to add existing levels to a world? Will levels in a world also go into general circulation? Will levels in worlds get boos/hearts individually or will the world be rated as a whole? Or not at all? Argh so many questions!! Weather or not world levels go into general circulation is quite important, because you might want to do a 1UP filled bonus level, or a classic hammer bros mini level, which would both work in the context of a world, but would be booed or ignored in the general list.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
Also I just noticed one of the last shots of the World mode has Ninjis with counts next to them around the map. What does it meeeeeeeeaaaaan!!!??

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I have found the objectively best multiplayer versus level in existence.

Race and bosses ultimate!
this stage such a crazy one a little bit. the race and bosses are party up!

ID: P45-Q3V-4BG

Nothing in all of video games has ever made me laugh as hard as this level has. It is truly an unmatched work of art, of which words cannot properly describe. It will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will remind you simultaneously why you hate and love Mario Maker. But most importantly, it will teach you that there truly are no winners in life when the countdown to death looms over us all.

Have fun. : )

OP
OP

Deleted member 26156

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
New poll's up. :)

I wonder how it's going to work with worlds? Will you be able to add existing levels to a world? Will levels in a world also go into general circulation? Will levels in worlds get boos/hearts individually or will the world be rated as a whole? Or not at all? Argh so many questions!! Weather or not world levels go into general circulation is quite important, because you might want to do a 1UP filled bonus level, or a classic hammer bros mini level, which would both work in the context of a world, but would be booed or ignored in the general list.

I was snooping back through the trailer and noticed that you just add levels from your Coursebot, regardless of whether they are uploaded or not. So yes, you can have levels from your game appear in the general feed, but it appears that bonus levels and the like don't have to be, which is a very nice way to handle it!

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
super world maker is exactly what i wanted - a place to put all my ideas in a logical way instead of random ideas that would come and pass. being able to create a theme for the game and then the world to inform the design of the levels is something i'm looking forward to.

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
New poll's up. :)

I was snooping back through the trailer and noticed that you just add levels from your Coursebot, regardless of whether they are uploaded or not. So yes, you can have levels from your game appear in the general feed, but it appears that bonus levels and the like don't have to be, which is a very nice way to handle it!
Awesome :)

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Was looking for a good reason to delete my levels, fix issues (both personal and from other players), and upload them anew, so this seems like a prime time to do so.

I don't really mind losing likes or Maker points or whatever. Hopefully these new improvements and the ability to create a game will generate new interest anyway.

Please tag me when the project is done. Your original project is arguably the best in the entire community as far as I'm concerned.

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018

Hum... weird.
Does this mean we could, potentially, copy paste an uploaded course, fix a mistake that has been bothering you for months, and then put the fixed course in the World without having to upload it? (which would be impossible, anyway...)

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've neglected this game for too long due to the fact that this came out at the same time as the FFXIV Shadowbringer's expansion but holy shit that update is an update of the gods. World builder mode, The Koopa Kids. Hell yeah.

Naar

Oct 29, 2017
Good to see people are back on the mario maker hype train!

I am still streaming levels almost everyday and will be streaming even more tomorrow once the update hits. If you wanna come hang out and chill, I will start streaming in about 15 minutes or so.

I will also be streaming tomorrow around this time as well

www.twitch.tv

Twitch

Oct 28, 2017
Spiny Viny Valley

NGG-TFJ-8JF

Swing over spiny & swim in the swamp.

Had this idea for a while. Wanted to finish it before the update. Came up with the course title before I even made the stage.

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
Got back into this for the update. Just made a quick level with one of the new mechanics. Red coins are optional.

Way To Fall
0NG-YCC-DDF
oOm8G67.jpg

ferunnico

Oct 29, 2017
My first World Maker impressions:

You can have only one Super World upoloaded at a time.

EWMIPEMVcAA_Y6h

There are six save slots for Super Worlds (maybe it will expand when filled up?)

EWMIPDwUwAcW4kt

You can't save or share worlds individually outside of a Super World. So if you want to upload and share a single world, it will take up your only Super World upload slot. Also, all courses within a world are chosen from the Coursebot menu. You can't upload a Super World unless every course within it has been previously uploaded to Course World.

EWMIPEOUcAA74Ki

I hope I'm wrong about some of this stuff, because in my opinion some of these restrictions and design decisions are not ideal...

Edit, some more observations:

- Power-ups are not persistent between courses
- Courses can be restarted at any point (for example when you're about to lose a life)

Last edited:

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
So, I used the Super World feature as intended : a glorified playlist.

And... that's actually pretty great. I had a ton of fun reorganizing my levels by themes, with coherent progression in puzzle difficulties and cool "end level" for each world.

It has 6 Worlds, and 23 levels (some of them are optional, as they only lead to bonus houses). All Ghost Houses, of course.

Here is my Maker code if you want to check it for yourself (or haven't played my level) : 4DH-X8R-62G.
I hope you'll enjoy it!

GokouD

Oct 30, 2017
I think I'm going to try and fit some of my best levels into a World for now. I had a short play around with it this morning and it's surprising how few of my levels actually feel like they'll fit into a traditional world structure, but I'll try and make it work.
Just FYI, make sure you go onto the Leaderboards page, it will prompt you to make your profile visible to friends, and there's a friends list there too. I have no idea why it's not on by default, a lot of people will miss it.

plastic love

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 19, 2019
Did they ever introduce the "carry the block/toad to the end of the course" mechanic that was in a few of the single player stages?